SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   Manitoba & Saskatchewan (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=129)
-   -   World Class Winnipeg (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=167282)

nordique Apr 6, 2009 2:18 AM

folklorama will never be world class until they bring back the PASSPORTS. it is something so simple that a lot of people would enjoy.

Pootkao Apr 6, 2009 11:28 PM

World class cities don't advertise themselves as world-class.

And they certainly don't have to ask if they are.

They just do what they do, without compromise, without apology and with an eye firmly on excellence and grandeur.

Winnipeg has a couple of the pieces, but it is lacking the most important thing that defines the truly great cities - self confidence.

sledhead35 Apr 7, 2009 12:10 PM

well said.

good_dude Apr 10, 2009 12:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wayward_prince (Post 4174638)
people who consider much of anything to be world class in Winnipeg I am sorry to say have likely never flown on a plane....anywhere. It's a nice city..but not world class.

Well, if we are taking out events and attractions and warehouse districts, then Vancouver wouldn't have anything world class either. I don't think blocks of humdrum green glass buildings qualify.

good_dude Apr 10, 2009 12:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pootkao (Post 4181087)

Interesting idea. By that definition, Toronto would not be world class, but I think Montreal would.

isaidso Apr 13, 2009 3:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by good_dude (Post 4187421)
Interesting idea. By that definition, Toronto would not be world class, but I think Montreal would.

It's a good definition though. Cities that know they've arrived, don't second guess it. They know it instinctually and don't bother trying to prove it to anyone.

j.online Apr 14, 2009 6:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by good_dude (Post 4187408)
Well, if we are taking out events and attractions and warehouse districts, then Vancouver wouldn't have anything world class either. I don't think blocks of humdrum green glass buildings qualify.

But well thought out, good-looking, walkable neighborhoods sandwiched between an ocean & mountains are world class. (at least in my books)

Pootkao Apr 14, 2009 8:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by good_dude (Post 4187421)

I would have to agree with you there.

The WC cussword gets thrown around in this town with great ease, showing people's hick desparation for what it is.

World class doesn't look like this:
http://www.urbanphoto.net/blog/wp-co...02-galston.jpg

1ajs Apr 15, 2009 12:44 AM

i still love that campain

Only The Lonely.. Apr 15, 2009 4:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pootkao (Post 4181087)

They just do what they do, without compromise, without apology and with an eye firmly on excellence and grandeur.

Winnipeg has a couple of the pieces, but it is lacking the most important thing that defines the truly great cities - self confidence.

Amen..

Andy6 Apr 15, 2009 12:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pootkao (Post 4195234)

That looks more plausibly like somewhere in New York City than 99% of Winnipeg does.

vid Apr 15, 2009 12:21 PM

Even Thunder Bay is "world class" these days. :rolleyes:

newflyer Apr 17, 2009 4:03 AM

The coming inland port will be truely world class. :yes:

Andy6 Apr 17, 2009 4:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vid (Post 4196504)
Even Thunder Bay is "world class" these days. :rolleyes:

provided you include the quotation marks and the smiley

1ajs Apr 17, 2009 4:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andy6 (Post 4200334)
provided you include the quotation marks and the smiley

:haha::yes:

ue Apr 17, 2009 9:11 PM

To me (an outside perspective) the world class elements of Winnipeg are:
-The amount of history for such a small city
-St. Boniface
-The sheer amount of beautiful historic gems for buildings. Coming from Alberta it is an amazing amount. Even in general the architecture is great.
-The Exchange District
-The human rights museum will be pretty good
-The Leg down there is pretty cool
-The Mint

Although I never went I'm sure the Forks, The Folkorama, and the Fringe would also qualify.

Good on Winnipeg.

ue Apr 17, 2009 9:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pootkao (Post 4195234)
I would have to agree with you there.

The WC cussword gets thrown around in this town with great ease, showing people's hick desparation for what it is.

Quite honestly every city has ugly parts. Paris, New York, Hong Kong, Tokyo, London, Los Angeles, Chicago, Frankfurt, Sydney, Montréal and many other world class cities do.

1ajs Apr 18, 2009 7:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by edmontonenthusiast (Post 4201516)
Quite honestly every city has ugly parts. Paris, New York, Hong Kong, Tokyo, London, Los Angeles, Chicago, Frankfurt, Sydney, Montréal and many other world class cities do.

that building is now home to a hakim eye glass's shop most of the empty store fronts have been filling back up these days

SPLENDALOVER Jan 16, 2010 1:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jimsabo21 (Post 4174704)
At the risk of sounding pompous, take it from someone who spends more time travelling business than in Winnipeg, and who's frequent cities include Vancouver, Dublin, Malta, London, NY, Montreal and SF (at least 3 times per year each) ... our PEOPLE are world class.

Our business has done well, and we can be located anywhere in the world. We choose Winnipeg because I love Winnipeg. I can't emphasize this enough ... but we really don't know how much people matter until we are forced to relocate somewhere else.

Sure, San Francisco has a great nightlife, and Dublin has great shopping on Graffton. Malta has amazing weather and 2000 year old buildings. But, everywhere I go, the people aren't the same ... I always miss Winnipeg.

The people are our greatest asset.

Winnipeg sounds like a wonderful place to visit... and live. AND I adore all the Winnipeggers I've known!

Harmonyman Jan 16, 2010 2:12 AM

Whether or not Winnipeg is world class is debatable, but the fact that Winnipeg is extremely unique is undeniable. And I think Winnipeg's uniqueness endears the city to visitors from all around the world.