SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   Manitoba & Saskatchewan (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=129)
-   -   Winnipeg: Worst city in Canada for Human Trafficking. (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=171453)

wayward_prince Jul 13, 2009 9:16 AM

Winnipeg: Worst city in Canada for Human Trafficking.

http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNew...hub=TopStories

Way to go NDP

wayward_prince Jul 13, 2009 9:55 AM

another Winnipeg murder-further social disorganization

http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNew...712?hub=Canada

Nigel Jul 13, 2009 1:25 PM

I don't think anyone here will deny it's an issue, however, until I see some statistics to back up the claim of Winnipeg being the sexual exploitation capital of Canada, it's just another slam against the city by someone from a so-called perfect city such as Vancouver.

drew Jul 13, 2009 1:49 PM

^ from what I saw on the news, his "investigation" consisted of searching personal ads on craigslist and a drive around in a cop car in the inner city, where it appeared that the girls on the street were under age, but he didn't have any proof to back it up.

Let's just say that these kinds of stats are great for sensationalist journalism, but this guy wouldn't be submitting this report for a thesis.

1ajs Jul 13, 2009 2:48 PM

the problem is there...

Nigel Jul 13, 2009 2:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1ajs (Post 4355043)
the problem is there...

But what we are asking is if it is WORSE in Winnipeg than every other Canadian city? I see no evidence that it is.

wayward_prince Jul 13, 2009 4:07 PM

LOL...denial isn't just a river in Africa obviously :cool:

jmt18325 Jul 13, 2009 4:42 PM

I didn't know that the city had an NDP government.

drew Jul 13, 2009 4:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wayward_prince (Post 4355168)

Who's denying anything? This guy backs up a fairly serious conclusion with the number a search results on Craigslist and a drive by downtown.

Put up some hard numbers and actual statistical comparisons to other cities before coming to town and accusing us of this.

Do you believe everything you read - or just the stuff that reinforces your own opinion about Winnipeg?

Nigel Jul 13, 2009 5:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wayward_prince (Post 4355168)

Who's denying? I do agree it's a serious issue that needs to be addressed. But once again, you cannot prove that it is the worst in Winnipeg compared with other cities. Prove it and then I might agree with you. Until then, you are just looking for the worst in Winnipeg as usual, from your "perfect" city called Vancouver and wherever the hell else you live.

hexrae Jul 13, 2009 5:17 PM

This is sad on two fronts:

1) The obvious fact that murder and human trafficking occur in our city and,

2) The obvious fact that wayward doesn't give a shit about it. The issue is severe enough to warrant a new thread for discussion, but the 2nd post is off-topic at best.

Your opinions will be better received around here if you went beyond pointing out the negatives. Instead, you continue to do so and inform us to "deal with it" and make accusations of denial. Seems to me a person who is truly concerned will offer some constructive criticism, or at least some remorse over those lost.

Nigel Jul 13, 2009 5:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hexrae (Post 4355322)
This is sad on two fronts:

1) The obvious fact that murder and human trafficking occur in our city and,

2) The obvious fact that wayward doesn't give a shit about it. The issue is severe enough to warrant a new thread for discussion, but the 2nd post is off-topic at best.

Your opinions will be better received around here if you went beyond pointing out the negatives. Instead, you continue to do so and inform us to "deal with it" and make accusations of denial. Seems to me a person who is truly concerned will offer some constructive criticism, or at least some remorse over those lost.

Very well put :tup: I don't see Wayward Prince offering any constructive advice on what the city can do to help curb this problem. All he does is say "there is a problem so don't deny it". I say that we don't continue to feed the troll, err I mean Wayward Prince, beyond this point.

Spocket Jul 13, 2009 10:41 PM

I'm sorry but why is this guy claiming this has anything to do with trafficking ? Doesn't that necessarily require a trafficker ? Well are we talking about pimps here or people who go from jurisdiction to jurisdiction with a truckload of unwilling prostitutes ?

The problem with this whole issue is that people let their emotions get in the way of the facts. One or two cases does not constitute a serious social issue in dire need of millions of dollars to combat it. So how many cases are we really talking about here ? One , two , fifty , four hundred ? Who knows...this "study" certainly doesn't look like it was done with any sort of scientific methodology. Actually , this looks like a perfect example of how to manufacture "facts" that aren't facts at all. From there , all you have to do is tell anybody who challenges your "facts" that they are heartless , selfish , neanderthals and shout them down. It's actually quite amazing how easy this sort of thing is to foist on the general public. This guy didn't even need to actually do much more than make his statement...a hysterical public just laps it up and exclaims "Think of the children !". You can see many example of this sort of mass reaction throughout history. Salem , Massachussetts comes to mind but there are limitless examples.

I'll believe silly little statements such as this guy's when he does a little better than a browsing through Craigslist. Until then , he's just another activist with an agenda.

Pegger5 Jul 14, 2009 2:10 AM

Bs

I believe Winnipeg has an issue with child trafficking but the guy is from Vancouver for Gods sake. There is plenty of documentation that Vancouver (as a port city) and Toronto are the number one places for this issue. He is just trying to deflect Vancouver's issue with this... This was just on CBC/CTV the other night about how bad it is there.
Nice try buddy. Saying that, Winnipeg has it's issues with this as well...

Nigel Jul 14, 2009 2:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pegger5 (Post 4356361)
Saying that, Winnipeg has it's issues with this as well...

Exactly, as does Edmonton, Calgary, Ottawa, Halifax, etc.

The Jabroni Jul 14, 2009 6:47 AM

What else ISN'T new in Winnipeg?

It's a serious issue, but in the end, so what!? Human trafficking in general needs to stop, as well as x amount of crimes that are going on. It just happens that Winnipeg was mentioned, and some bloke like wayward would show up and dog the sh*t out of us because we're in the news.

There are far worse things in the world than this, like people dying in poor countries, etc. Why don't we focus on that for a change!?

/topic

1ajs Jul 14, 2009 7:01 AM

or my friend who was murderd at random friday cause our gov has shitty laws with no teeth

DowntownWpg Jul 23, 2009 2:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1ajs (Post 4356835)
or my friend who was murderd at random friday cause our gov has shitty laws with no teeth

Am truly sorry to hear about your friend, 1ajs.

You're correct that much of our crime related and criminal code legislation isn't 'tough enough.' However, that is, IMO, just one of many factors.

Yes, generally speaking we do need to keep those who commit violent crimes in prison longer. Look at that idiot who shot two cops on Jubliee Ave... 14 years, but eligible for parole in 4-5 years (IIRC). And, he'll probably wipe that jack-ass grin off his face, suck-up to an effeminate social worker and get off in 4-5 years. Need to keep 'em off the streets longer!

But...

It can't just be about tougher sentences. I don't really see that as a deterrent. Much of the nastiness that goes down is by people who, I assume, don't give a care about the law. Therefore, we need to have more aggressive and appropriately target policing efforts... if it increases our public safety budget, so be it! Crime is our biggest challenge, IMO. In fact, apparently the great drops we've seen in auto thefts has much to do with a new 'in your face' attitude and tactics that the police have been putting on the car jackers over the past couple of years.

As well, albeit a longer-term effort, we need to better address poverty (self-inflicted poverty in many cases), remove children from unfit and negligent parents, support community clubs particularly in the inner city, etc. The adults are mostly a write-off, the kids still have a chance.

vid Jul 23, 2009 3:17 AM

You said something that makes sense. :eek:

1ajs Jul 23, 2009 4:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DowntownWpg (Post 4371029)
Am truly sorry to hear about your friend, 1ajs.

You're correct that much of our crime related and criminal code legislation isn't 'tough enough.' However, that is, IMO, just one of many factors.

Yes, generally speaking we do need to keep those who commit violent crimes in prison longer. Look at that idiot who shot two cops on Jubliee Ave... 14 years, but eligible for parole in 4-5 years (IIRC). And, he'll probably wipe that jack-ass grin off his face, suck-up to an effeminate social worker and get off in 4-5 years. Need to keep 'em off the streets longer!

But...

It can't just be about tougher sentences. I don't really see that as a deterrent. Much of the nastiness that goes down is by people who, I assume, don't give a care about the law. Therefore, we need to have more aggressive and appropriately target policing efforts... if it increases our public safety budget, so be it! Crime is our biggest challenge, IMO. In fact, apparently the great drops we've seen in auto thefts has much to do with a new 'in your face' attitude and tactics that the police have been putting on the car jackers over the past couple of years.

As well, albeit a longer-term effort, we need to better address poverty (self-inflicted poverty in many cases), remove children from unfit and negligent parents, support community clubs particularly in the inner city, etc. The adults are mostly a write-off, the kids still have a chance.

true theres more factors then the crapy sentincing...

adults are mostly right offs true some just got led down the wrong path and want to make a change and just need that gental hand to help them while others are well yea....

kids yes kids our future we need to not just creat these programs in the inner city but also in the burbs theres alota board suburban kids causing trouble to don't forget....

wayward_prince Jul 28, 2009 8:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Jabroni (Post 4356821)
What else ISN'T new in Winnipeg?

It's a serious issue, but in the end, so what!? Human trafficking in general needs to stop, as well as x amount of crimes that are going on. It just happens that Winnipeg was mentioned, and some bloke like wayward would show up and dog the sh*t out of us because we're in the news.

There are far worse things in the world than this, like people dying in poor countries, etc. Why don't we focus on that for a change!?

/topic

Yawn:sly: Heal thyself

Reed Solomon Jul 28, 2009 10:16 PM

is there any correlation between this and slurpee consumption?

makes you think!

UrbanPlannerr Aug 10, 2009 5:44 AM

It seems a lot of these type of scenarios start with drugs.... also, wow human trafficking for Winnipeg has gone online... wtf?

UrbanPlannerr Aug 10, 2009 5:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wayward_prince (Post 4378878)
Yawn:sly: Heal thyself

btw, I am not sure if making this type of joke about such human suffering is appropriate...

sledhead35 Aug 10, 2009 1:22 PM

Throwing lifeline to women on street

CELLPHONES are being distributed to some Winnipeg sex-trade workers and homeless women in the hopes that being able to call 911 will keep them safe from the violence they encounter almost daily.

The program is run by Sage House, a women's drop-in centre in the North End. Individuals and businesses donated about 60 phones to the centre for the program's launch Friday.

Related ItemsArticlesOfficials bolster H1N1 strategy for First Nations
Sage House program manager Tammy Reimer said an employee, Kathleen Shellrude, came up with the idea after realizing that cellphones can still dial 911 even if the owner isn't paying for a phone plan, as long as the phone is charged.

That means the phones Sage House is handing out can only make emergency calls.

Concern about the safety of Sage House clients has grown recently as a number of women involved in the sex trade have gone missing or been found slain, Reimer said.

But sex-trade workers are targets of other forms of violence almost every day, she said.

"Those are not the ones that hit the front of the paper, but it's an ongoing part of their lives," she said, explaining johns often sexually or physically abuse the women.

"We've had numerous stabbings," she said.

In some cases, women have reported being thrown out of moving vehicles or jumping out because they fear for their safety.

Cheryl, a former sex-trade worker who asked that her last name not be published, shuddered as she recalled an incident a few years ago when a man and a woman in a car beckoned her over.

"When I approached the vehicle, they Maced me," she recalled. Some bystanders came to her aid and scared the couple away.

Cheryl didn't have a cellphone at the time, but later bought one -- though she said most street-involved women can't afford a phone.

Always having her cellphone when she was working -- tucked under her shirt and secured in place by her bra strap -- made her feel safer, she explained.

Reimer admitted the cellphone project is not an ultimate solution to helping the city's most vulnerable women.

"We talk a lot about the North End and how unsafe it is," Reimer explained. "It's not North End men perpetrating this violence, it's men from the suburbs."

"(A cellphone) is a part of keeping the women safe, but it is not stopping the men who are driving into the North End and perpetrating violence."

Shellrude was at Sage House on Friday to help hand out the phones.

By 2 p.m., about 10 women had dropped by to pick up their new cellphones and chargers, bundled together inside a plastic bag.

Shellrude smiled as she recalled the comment from one woman, who told her "this could save my life one day."

sledhead35 Aug 10, 2009 1:26 PM

i understand the goal here and it brings a tear to my eye, but come on. i was thinking we should go a step further and pair every prostitute with a body gaurd as well. think of the tax money we will be spending when 911 calls (valid or not)spike on the weekends. then what?

vid Aug 10, 2009 1:47 PM

911 calls always spike on the weekends. They spiked to over 125 on Saturday here (which I think they said is a record?).

sledhead35 Aug 10, 2009 2:34 PM

i cant imagine this will help that spike. half the people you see in the ER waiting room at the HSC are just looking for a warm place to stay. im just saying, although its a great idea in theory i see it backfiring in reality. plus it goes along the same lines as welfare;rewarding people for their "less than ideal" lifestyle.

vid Aug 10, 2009 2:57 PM

To receive welfare that is high enough to live on, you have to either have some sort of disability that prevents you from working, or be able to prove you're looking for work. It isn't like they just get cheques and sit on their ass 100% of the time.

Accountability should be improved, though.

sledhead35 Aug 11, 2009 2:50 AM

point taken.i guess what im trying to get at is that i think the current mentality towards criminals and chronically unemployed does nothing but empower that lifestyle. look at our "rehabilitation" centers, they call them jails in the states. as hard as i try i cannot begin to understand why somebody WOULDNT want to break the law and live comfortably for free.

welfare, i admit i know very little about but look around you and you will see a handful of people abusing the system.

i should mention that both of these examples can, and must have turned lives around. systems are in place because they either have or do work better than other options; pros and cons on both sides of the fence. but its very easy to become, dare i say bitter, towards a system where one's hard earned cash goes towards "rewarding" another person's complete disregard for the society they are a part of.

and thats my rant for the day.:cool:

1ajs Aug 11, 2009 6:33 AM

when u see the trash that abuse the system u become realy bitter towards it lol seen lots of that just look at any manitoba housing complex now theres people in them that need it but theres others that just plane trash them and abuse them get them outa the system or mothball it

vid Aug 11, 2009 7:58 AM

Many aspects of the welfare system are set up to trap people in it. It's especially bad with aboriginals where our laws are basically written so that they have little choice but welfare. That has to change.

grumpy old man Aug 11, 2009 1:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vid (Post 4400062)
Many aspects of the welfare system are set up to trap people in it. It's especially bad with aboriginals where our laws are basically written so that they have little choice but welfare. That has to change.

I really don't buy that. Anyone with real ambition can lift themselves from the despair of poverty. It happens all the time.

We need to distinguish the various users of welfare. There are those that absolutely genuinely need it. For those people the social safety net could probably do more.

Then there are those that abuse the system. The multi-generational welfare abusers. Those that could work but choose not to. Those that pop out babies like pez dispensers. Those that drink and smoke while the children eat junk. Or not at all.

We empower too many by allowing this abuse. There are jobs out there. There are schools out there. If you are on welfare the very least you can do is get an education. That is the first step in lifting oneself out of the "trap" that is welfare.