SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   San Antonio (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=447)
-   -   SAN ANTONIO │ Official Hemisfair Redevelopment Thread (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=154086)

sirkingwilliam Apr 3, 2024 10:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SpiritofSeguin (Post 10177521)
Per the Express News, the Institute of Texan Cultures will close in May and soon be demolished. 8,500 square feet of museum exhibits will be on display on the first floor of the Frost Tower (do they mean the lobby or the actual first floor, which I think is tenant-occupied). The other 25k square feet is going into storage and apparently some of the exhibits have mold...hm.

But now that it's apparently really happening...I don't know. Why is VIA going to build an ART train that will connect Zarzamora to Downtown to the Frost Bank Center when it will soon (presumably) no longer house the Spurs? Will the Frost Bank Center eventually be demolished? Are we just building Alamodome 2.0? I won't be too sorry to see the ITC go but if it's between a brand new sports arena and housing for thousands of locals, replacing the housing demolished in 1968...what's honestly the most important thing?

If there is a legitimate successful train one day thats in a similar style to the Metro Rail connecting Downtown Houston and the NRG Center/Astrodome...what's the point of a Spurs Arena downtown specifically? Doesn't seem like there's much communication with VIA and those in City Hall wanting an Arena. And what about all the East Side residents promised benefits of the Spurs Arena that never developed? So sorry you're shit out of luck?

No clue what the point is of anything you just typed. It’s all over the place and disjointed.

The Spurs will build a new arena downtown at the ITC. The Frost Bank center will remain there as well Freeman. That’s an events site for the rodeo as well as whatever the county can get booked at the FBC.

A mass transit connect is smart regardless of what will happen with the Spurs move to downtown.

JACKinBeantown Apr 3, 2024 11:14 PM

Quote:

Per the Express News, the Institute of Texan Cultures will close in May and soon be demolished.

https://4.bp.blogspot.com/-YmRNwghBw...if-image-s.gif

:banana::dancing::pepper::dancingeggplant:tomato::dancingtaco:dancinghotdog::awesome::cucumber::leek::apple::fruit::dancingbacon::banaride::dancinglock:upload_71700::banger::hi:

Quote:

Originally Posted by sirkingwilliam (Post 10177578)
No clue what the point is of anything you just typed. It’s all over the place and disjointed.

The Spurs will build a new arena downtown at the ITC. The Frost Bank center will remain there as well Freeman. That’s an events site for the rodeo as well as whatever the county can get booked at the FBC.

A mass transit connect is smart regardless of what will happen with the Spurs move to downtown.

:cheers:

Quote:

... and apparently some of the exhibits have mold.

That pretty much says it all.

AwesomeSAView Apr 4, 2024 12:06 AM

Yes sir!!! :yes::tup::cheers:

SpiritofSeguin Apr 4, 2024 9:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sirkingwilliam (Post 10177578)
The Spurs will build a new arena downtown at the ITC. The Frost Bank Center will remain there as well (as) Freeman. That’s an events site for the rodeo as well as whatever the county can get booked at the FBC.

Hemisfair is the most valuable piece of land in probably the entire City. There is a unique opportunity to build an entertainment district, sure, maybe, but do the people of San Antonio actually and sincerely want a brand new Spurs arena? Not everyone in SATX cares or has any interest in sports, and who can afford to go to a Spurs or Rampage (not anymore) or Brahmas or Roadrunners game when they can't afford the utilities or groceries. Can anyone specifically say what is so wrong with the Frost Bank Center, which is barely twenty years old and was last renovated in 2015? Other than it's in 'a bad part of town', well whose fault is that? Not the East Side residents. Fiesta Plaza Mall and Sunset Square are local proof that throwing up a brand new whatever doesn't guarantee people will utilize it. And sorry, but I really don't think a three week Rodeo plus "whatever the city books" is a good enough reason to justify the Spurs pretty much abandoning a stadium that doesn't have anything wrong with it. There should also be consideration as to a potential future expansion of the Henry B. Gonzalez and how much space that could require next to a sports/entertainment district.

https://i.ibb.co/tbfj01s/photo-output.jpg

The ITC is done for, no question, but at a time where rents are skyrocketing across Texas/USA while San Antonio has for the time being stayed affordable, consider other opportunities for development is all I'm saying. Housing is absolutely a human right and how great would it be for a majority of the housing and then some to be restored to Hemisfair and have a massive brand new community in the heart of downtown, with an I-37 land bridge that reconnects the East Side and merges with Southtown? Because COVID has shown that ultimately housing will be the future of downtowns as office tenants are increasingly working from home or simply not staying in the core (USAA).

Well, food for thought anyway.

(Hypothetical Spurs/Mission entertainment district diagram belongs to "Keegan-B-SATX"!)

sirkingwilliam Apr 5, 2024 1:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SpiritofSeguin (Post 10178334)
Hemisfair is the most valuable piece of land in probably the entire City. There is a unique opportunity to build an entertainment district, sure, maybe, but do the people of San Antonio actually and sincerely want a brand new Spurs arena? Not everyone in SATX cares or has any interest in sports, and who can afford to go to a Spurs or Rampage (not anymore) or Brahmas or Roadrunners game when they can't afford the utilities or groceries. Can anyone specifically say what is so wrong with the Frost Bank Center, which is barely twenty years old and was last renovated in 2015? Other than it's in 'a bad part of town', well whose fault is that? Not the East Side residents. Fiesta Plaza Mall and Sunset Square are local proof that throwing up a brand new whatever doesn't guarantee people will utilize it. And sorry, but I really don't think a three week Rodeo plus "whatever the city books" is a good enough reason to justify the Spurs pretty much abandoning a stadium that doesn't have anything wrong with it. There should also be consideration as to a potential future expansion of the Henry B. Gonzalez and how much space that could require next to a sports/entertainment district.

The ITC is done for, no question, but at a time where rents are skyrocketing across Texas/USA while San Antonio has for the time being stayed affordable, consider other opportunities for development is all I'm saying. Housing is absolutely a human right and how great would it be for a majority of the housing and then some to be restored to Hemisfair and have a massive brand new community in the heart of downtown, with an I-37 land bridge that reconnects the East Side and merges with Southtown? Because COVID has shown that ultimately housing will be the future of downtowns as office tenants are increasingly working from home or simply not staying in the core (USAA).

I’m not going to go deep into the well as you seem to be. People’s cost of living has no relation to the Spurs and their new arena. None. That’s a thread you’re trying to connect for no reason other than to firm up your narrative.

I’ll keep it very simple. The Spurs will need a new arena, downtown needs a major catalyst. Those two go hand in hand.

SpiritofSeguin Apr 5, 2024 2:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sirkingwilliam (Post 10178448)
I’m not going to go deep into the well as you seem to be.

Look, I'm am sincerely not trying to pick a fight. We all want a great downtown San Antonio. It's arguably already one of the best in the world, and if the powers that be stick a billion dollar Spurs/Missions superstadium on the grave of ITC I will be there for the opening game. It's just a difference of opinion we're having, that's all! :)

Either way, we can all agree that getting rid of this dinosaur would be an overall benefit to downtown regardless of what replaces it be it a state-of-the-art entertainment district or thousands of apartment units. Right?

jaga185 Apr 5, 2024 2:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SpiritofSeguin (Post 10178474)
Either way, we can all agree that getting rid of this dinosaur would be an overall benefit to downtown regardless of what replaces it be it a state-of-the-art entertainment district or thousands of apartment units. Right?

That part.

I'm for anything they build as long as it's done well with the future of SA considered. I'd prefer a mix of entertainment AND housing. I think burying 37 and connecting it with the east side will create an area to live and have fun.

JACKinBeantown Apr 5, 2024 2:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jaga185 (Post 10178692)
That part.

I'm for anything they build as long as it's done well with the future of SA considered. I'd prefer a mix of entertainment AND housing. I think burying 37 and connecting it with the east side will create an area to live and have fun.

The Big Dig worked wonders for downtown Boston.

https://www.nga.org/wp-content/uploa...-683x1024.jpeg
https://www.nga.org/wp-content/uploa...-683x1024.jpeg

theOGalexd Apr 5, 2024 3:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jaga185 (Post 10178692)
That part.

Yeah I'd like to see 37 get buried too. Dallas, Boston and Phoenix are some of the examples I can think of that have done something similar.

Keegan-B-SATX Apr 13, 2024 5:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SpiritofSeguin (Post 10178334)

If you're going to use my entertainment district rendering can you at least give me some credit???

RobertS4 Apr 17, 2024 2:17 AM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4AshvIkdayA

rendering is on youtube now.

JACKinBeantown Apr 17, 2024 3:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RobertS4 (Post 10186441)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4AshvIkdayA

rendering is on youtube now.

Hey Keegan-B-SATX, your rendering is on Youtube now.

(I guess everybody should watermark everything, because the internet will steal everything from everyone.)

SpiritofSeguin Apr 18, 2024 2:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Keegan-B-SATX (Post 10183847)
If you're going to use my entertainment district rendering can you at least give me some credit???

I updated my original writing. :cheers:

JRG1974 Apr 18, 2024 1:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JACKinBeantown (Post 10186707)
Hey Keegan-B-SATX, your rendering is on Youtube now.

(I guess everybody should watermark everything, because the internet will steal everything from everyone.)

You may also want to contact the San Antonio Current. They are stealing your stuff too.

https://www.sacurrent.com/news/san-a...ntown-34320594

spurs_ag Apr 18, 2024 4:59 PM

This would be an amazing sports/entertainment district if that rendering comes to fruition.

Given our record on development I imagine it wont

sirkingwilliam Apr 18, 2024 6:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spurs_ag (Post 10187655)
This would be an amazing sports/entertainment district if that rendering comes to fruition.

Given our record on development I imagine it wont

That’s a user made design not an actual proposal.

JACKinBeantown Apr 18, 2024 8:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sirkingwilliam (Post 10187735)
That’s a user made design not an actual proposal.

Keegan, don't make your diagrams look so real!

ILUVSAT Apr 19, 2024 7:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by theOGalexd (Post 10178772)
Yeah I'd like to see 37 get buried too. Dallas, Boston and Phoenix are some of the examples I can think of that have done something similar.

Nothing is similar to the Big Dig. To this day, it's one of America's most expensive highway projects in history. It cost something like $24 billion (in 2000-2007 numbers).

Dallas' Klyde Warren Park (the cap over Woodall Rogers) cost $110 million. I'm not sure what's going on in Phoenix.

Sinking and capping 37 would cost billions and I'm not sure from where that is going to come - since a project like that would easily garner arguments that it is more about aesthetics than necessity.

spurs_ag Apr 20, 2024 4:10 AM

Oh Im well aware its a fan concept, Im just stating that the HDRC has a reputation of shutting down anything that seemingly pushes San Antonio into a world class city

wwmiv Apr 20, 2024 2:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ILUVSAT (Post 10188660)
Nothing is similar to the Big Dig. To this day, it's one of America's most expensive highway projects in history. It cost something like $24 billion (in 2000-2007 numbers).

Dallas' Klyde Warren Park (the cap over Woodall Rogers) cost $110 million. I'm not sure what's going on in Phoenix.

Sinking and capping 37 would cost billions and I'm not sure from where that is going to come - since a project like that would easily garner arguments that it is more about aesthetics than necessity.

Well, to be frank, in the long term (30-50 years) the entire loop around downtown needs to be reconstructed into a trench and the elevated portions taken down. Capping the whole thing would be extravagant, but there are portions that make sense:

• I-37 between Houston and Cesar Chavez (adjacent to the Alamo, Convention Center, and the Alamodome)
• I-10 between Roosevelt and Mission (adjacent to a bunch of highly redevelopable land)
• I-10/35 between Cesar Chavez and Martin (adjacent to UTSA and Market Square)
• I-35 between Jackson and Brooklyn (adjacent to a bunch of highly redevelopable land)