SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   San Antonio (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=447)
-   -   SAN ANTONIO │ CPS Headquarters Redevelopment Thread | U/C (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=208843)

sirkingwilliam May 20, 2013 4:00 PM

SAN ANTONIO │ CPS Headquarters Redevelopment Thread | U/C

The story is behind a paywall, but here's the quote pertaining to the skyline.

Quote:

In a more formal RFP, Beneby said CPS would likely accept proposals from developers to build a new CPS headquarters downtown and maybe lease it to the utility — in addition to potential property swaps.

As always, the hurdles for a new building would be the high cost of downtown construction and lining up adequate parking.

Nevertheless, Beneby said he wants to consider “the best opportunity for the skyline of San Antonio.”
http://www.expressnews.com/business/...le-4528587.php

jaga185 May 20, 2013 11:55 PM

*dead*

UrbanTrance May 21, 2013 12:22 AM

This needs to happen.:yes:

stuntpuller May 21, 2013 12:51 AM

I can see this happening.

sirkingwilliam May 21, 2013 2:51 AM

I'm hearing the city, including CPS, want it to be in the 600-700 ft range. There are whispers this could go near the Weston with Graham building residential next to or very near it.

Exciting times ahead my friends.

jaga185 May 21, 2013 2:57 AM

600-700ft?! That'd be amazing! I hope it's closer to 700. I hope the design is bad.

Formus May 21, 2013 2:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jaga185 (Post 6135368)
600-700ft?! That'd be amazing! I hope it's closer to 700. I hope the design is bad.

Care to elaborate on that?

cole world11 May 21, 2013 4:43 PM

As much as I'd love to see this actually get built, I'll believe it when I see it. I'm not getting my hopes up too high

jaga185 May 21, 2013 6:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Formus (Post 6135697)
Care to elaborate on that?

Oh gosh. Got too excited, I meant ISN'T*

WorldTexas May 21, 2013 7:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jaga185 (Post 6135368)
600-700ft?! That'd be amazing! I hope it's closer to 700.

Is the idea for a mixed-use building with residential or hotel space in it? A 600 foot tower is a lot of space to dump in a downtown office market with a 30% vacancy rate.

I'd love to see it happen, but we have a lot of work to do to on those Geekdom startups to fill that much space.

Formus May 21, 2013 7:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jaga185 (Post 6136044)

Haha, I knew I was missing something.

I see the location is rumored to be near the Weston Center; does anyone have any guesses as to where, specifically, this building will end up? I know it's too early to know anything, but it's fun to speculate.

jaga185 May 21, 2013 7:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WorldTexas (Post 6136096)
Is the idea for a mixed-use building with residential or hotel space in it? A 600 foot tower is a lot of space to dump in a downtown office market with a 30% vacancy rate.

I'd love to see it happen, but we have a lot of work to do to on those Geekdom startups to fill that much space.

That's true. I forgot about the vacancy rate. I think your idea of a hotel on the first few floors might work. Especially for the businesses that might operate on the higher floors, or vice versa.

texboy May 21, 2013 8:45 PM

I think part of the problem with the vacancy rate, is just the sheer age of some of the existing space in downtown. I believe Weston is one of/if not the newest office tower in downtown and that was in 88 or 89? You have to wonder just how out of date some of the infrastructure in terms of data, electrical, water, sewer, conveying equipment etc. is in these buildings. When companies move into a space, they don't want to be dealing with outdated real estate that could hinder their ability to grow.

WorldTexas May 21, 2013 11:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by texboy (Post 6136260)
When companies move into a space, they don't want to be dealing with outdated real estate that could hinder their ability to grow.

True enough, but if the demand were there, wouldn't the property owners pay to update the infrastructure? Or once a B always a B?

miaht82 May 22, 2013 1:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WorldTexas (Post 6136540)
True enough, but if the demand were there, wouldn't the property owners pay to update the infrastructure? Or once a B always a B?

Maybe it pays to operate at a loss and keep it for "land holding" reasons (i.e. The Milam)? Heck, demand is not even there for crumbling buildings (eyesore on St. Mary's) to let people squat in it.

There is some demand for Class A space; One Riverwalk (caddy-corner to the eyesore) is only at 65% but I remember a while back they were upgrading and renovating the ground floor and "restaurant" at River level. Wouldn't have gone through renovation if they didn't feel demand would be there; even after the downturn in '07.

From Apr. 2012
http://www.bizjournals.com/sanantoni....html?page=all

Quote:

Enter Winthrop, which purchased One Riverwalk from Equastone last year, and has spent more than half a million dollars to reposition the property — including upgrades to the common areas, and exterior and interior landscape improvements. The firm has plans for another half a million dollars in interior upgrades in 2012, adds Peloton partner Nancy Preis Russell.
Give it a bit of time. Once the market absorbs the residential that's popping up, I expect a bit of an uptick at least by this time next year. Who know's, perhaps Weston might buy out The Milam and convert them to aparments, knocking two birds out.

KevinFromTexas May 22, 2013 3:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jaga185 (Post 6136044)

I thought that was meant as a jab at the HDRC. Honest.

adtobias May 22, 2013 6:35 AM

Any idea of what this building will look like?

texastarkus May 22, 2013 3:45 PM

just to throw this out there....

Submitted for conversation...Wouldn't it be better to have two 400'ers than one 800'? Please don't get me wrong, things are finally starting to happen here and I don't want our downtown to look like OKC with a couple kinda tall buildings and one really tall. A more extreme example would be if that 800'er gets built in Midland. Just sticking my neck out there....:shrug:

WorldTexas May 22, 2013 6:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by texastarkus (Post 6137207)
Submitted for conversation...Wouldn't it be better to have two 400'ers than one 800'? Please don't get me wrong, things are finally starting to happen here and I don't want our downtown to look like OKC with a couple kinda tall buildings and one really tall. A more extreme example would be if that 800'er gets built in Midland. Just sticking my neck out there....:shrug:

Hey texastarkus, that's a great thought. I can see where you're coming from. Another example might be Dubai, where the Burj is massively taller than anything else around it.

However, I don't think that's what we'd be looking at here. According to Emporis, the Weston Centre is 557' at the top and the Tower is 622' at the architectural height or 730' at the tip of the antenna.

The CPS Energy building would fall somewhere in that 557'-730' range so it wouldn't be alone in that height range. It could look more like the Comcast Center in Philly, which looks like a natural growth in the skyline.

I think more important than height is the fact that there would just be a lot of empty space around it on the northwest end of downtown. Hopefully Weston Urban plans some taller apartments to go with the office building.

KevinFromTexas May 23, 2013 1:37 AM

The 557 foot "tip" height for the Weston Centre is for the antennas. That number came from an antenna registration website. And I'm not even sure the antennas are that tall since they are clearly not taller than the flagpole on the Tower Life Building which is supposed to be around 100 feet. I do know the building is taller than the supposed 444 foot height that we'd always seen. The most accurate height I've been able to find for it is 466 feet. I was the main editor for San Antonio at Emporis for 10 years.

miaht82 May 23, 2013 2:19 AM

Quote:

At this point, a 600'er would make an impact on the skyline and I would prefer (just a personal preference) to keep the Tower the tallest or at least not too much shorter than our (future) tallest. Would I prefer a 600'er or 2 300'ers? Well, it would depend on the design of the building. If it ended up "office park-like" then I would hate either one. Mixed-use maximizing the street would be the best with any height. I think I might squeak out the preference for a single tall only to take up less real estate and leave room for more residential.

JACKinBeantown May 23, 2013 2:39 AM

Quote:

I say go for the tall one.
http://en.wikiarquitectura.com/image...tate_Nuves.jpg
http://en.wikiarquitectura.com/image...tate_Nuves.jpg

jaga185 May 23, 2013 3:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JACKinBeantown (Post 6138077)

I second this. lol

FastFerrari82 May 27, 2013 3:41 AM

I say anything that will look good as coming up from the south or goin down from the north:notacrook:.

And of course something in that 950 range.Jk 550 or 600 would be nice though.:rolleyes:

But it will most likely be 400 to 450 at best.:uhh:

adtobias May 28, 2013 3:56 AM

Why don't builders try to build up northwest of downtown instead of the convention center/Hemisphere area.

sirkingwilliam Dec 14, 2013 12:04 AM

San Antonio | CPS Headquarters | N/A FLOORS | Proposed

Quote:

SAN ANTONIO — With its rate increase fight behind it, CPS Energy officials say they plan to formally issue their request for proposals to relocate the utility's headquarters from its current location downtown.

The move would open up prime space on the tourist-centric Riverwalk for redevelopment, potentially putting millions of dollars worth of property — which is tax-exempt because the city-owned utility owns it — on the rolls.

“We have pulled back the (request for proposals) for the new headquarters and we're going to resubmit it — we were just kind of waiting until we got past the rate discussion,” CPS CEO Doyle Beneby said in an interview.

He said that the utility wouldn't take any options off the table, he has a “bias towards seeing, vetting if there are any new construction opportunities out there.”

Utility officials said that if they were to leave their Riverwalk offices, their new headquarters would remain downtown.

It's not the first time Beneby has mentioned his desire to build a new headquarters.

He told Express-News in May that he was interested in building a tower to establish a presence for CPS on the city's skyline. However, he added: “It doesn't have to be something grand... like the Sears Tower in Chicago.”

jaga185 Dec 14, 2013 12:18 AM

Oh gosh, the gears are turning.

UrbanTrance Dec 14, 2013 12:23 AM

Can't wait to hear more. Hopefully it's a good design.

Paul in S.A TX Dec 14, 2013 3:49 AM

I cant wait to see this!

JoninATX Dec 14, 2013 4:57 AM

Excited!!! Go San Antonio! :cheers:

Onward Dec 14, 2013 7:22 AM

Here's to hoping for something decent. That being said this is San Antonio, so I'm prepared to be let down yet again.

ILUVSAT Feb 13, 2014 11:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by adtobias (Post 6143728)
Why don't builders try to build up northwest of downtown instead of the convention center/Hemisphere area.

Because developers find the largest margins near the river and hotels! The achilles heal to downtown SA is the river. Nobody wants tone too far from it. The city of San Antonio will have to be creative in finding ways to coax developers away from the river/tourist areas to other parts of downtown in an attempt to spur new, large-scale development.

BTW, I guess there is no new news on this particular project since last May, huh? Mothballed? Dead? If it were in development, we would have heard something by now...it's been, what, nine months?!?

sirkingwilliam Feb 14, 2014 3:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ILUVSAT (Post 6451257)
Because developers find the largest margins near the river and hotels! The achilles heal to downtown SA is the river. Nobody wants tone too far from it. The city of San Antonio will have to be creative in finding ways to coax developers away from the river/tourist areas to other parts of downtown in an attempt to spur new, large-scale development.

BTW, I guess there is no new news on this particular project since last May, huh? Mothballed? Dead? If it were in development, we would have heard something by now...it's been, what, nine months?!?

There's a dedicated thread for this development. I should have merged the two threads. I will be doing that now.

UrbanTrance Mar 12, 2014 3:36 PM

CPS hires national real estate firm to help it with headquarters relocation
Quote:

National real-estate group Cassidy Turley will work with the CPS Energy and a seven-member community advisory group on a potential headquarters relocation for the city-owned utility, officials say.

CPS — headquartered in a pair of buildings at Navarro and Villita streets on the San Antonio River — is considering buying or leasing another downtown space, opening the current property for redevelopment. It told employees in December it was weighing the move.
http://www.bizjournals.com/sanantoni...o-help-it.html

kornbread Mar 12, 2014 9:32 PM

"considering buying or leasing another downtown space"
It looks like the key words here are: buying, leasing, space.

I'm not saying this would prevent them from building, but it seems like there would be some urgency to get them to vacate if they have prospective buyer. If they don't, then it certainly sounds like relocating to an existing building is not out of the question. The article stated this process would take 12 to 18 months.

UrbanTrance Mar 12, 2014 9:52 PM

Well in this article, they do express preference for a new building, so hopefully the group will take note.

CPS committed to staying downtown
Quote:

Miller said he's open to letting the process decide, but would prefer to see CPS in a new building.

“That's what I would hope to see come into the skyline,” he said “Whether it's a CPS building or another private corporation moving into San Antonio. We're looking to see downtown as more of a jobs center. We want to see some density of people.”

While the utility hasn't identified a specific location for possible construction, Miller said he would like to see a new building on the eastern side of downtown.

Headquartered in Washington, D.C., Cassidy Turley will act as consultant. The firm will not broker any real estate transaction or develop property associated with the possible relocation, Lewis said. The contract with Cassidy Turley has a cap of $100,000, she added.

Last year, CPS received an unsolicited proposal from local developer Ed Cross. In the proposed deal, CPS would have swapped the utility's downtown properties, which include a parking garage and surface parking lot, and a facility on the Northwest Side for two former AT&T buildings at 500 and 530 McCullough Ave.

Even though that deal came to a halt in May, Beneby said it's still an option if the developer decides to submit a proposal.

The advisory group will vet the proposals, and CPS management will select the finalist. The utility's board of trustees will then vote on the matter.
http://www.expressnews.com/business/...wn-5308657.php

sirkingwilliam Mar 12, 2014 10:01 PM

Here are some more quotes from the article Alice posted.

Quote:

CPS Energy has assembled a seven-member advisory group to develop a strategy for the possible relocation of its downtown headquarters. But in its search for a new home, the utility wants to remain in the urban core.

The advisory group will work with CPS management and commercial real-estate consultant Cassidy Turley to craft a request for proposals that the utility is looking to issue in coming months. The team is expected to meet for the first time next week to start drafting a long-term plan for its current facility, utility CEO Doyle Beneby said Tuesday.

While Beneby said he wants to consider all options, he was adamant about keeping the utility's home in the center city.

“Typically in major cities, (utility) headquarters are typically in the urban core,” Beneby said to the San Antonio Express-News Editorial Board. “So, I don't think we should be any different. But that's our preference, obviously. But certainly, I think, suburbia is off the table.

“If we can ultimately make the best economic decision, in terms of our modeling, and at the same time ... help the urban core, I kind of feel we should do that if we can.”

Beneby expects at least four scenarios coming from the advisory group. The utility could stay in its riverfront location at 145 Navarro St.; it could move into an existing building in the downtown area; CPS could build a building; or a development firm could construct a building that the city-owned utility would lease.

“It has to make economic sense,” he said. “But beyond that, I am certainly trying to let the process arrive at the best decision.”

If the utility chooses to move, it would open up a prime space along the River Walk for redevelopment, potentially putting million of dollars of property back on the tax rolls. CPS hasn't revealed how much it believes the property is worth, but two nearby hotels — the Hotel Contessa and the Westin Riverwalk — are assessed at $33 million and $65 million, respectively, according to the Bexar appraisal District.

kornbread Mar 13, 2014 6:18 AM

Thanks for posting the other article.

There were some interesting comments made. Why the east side? And the comments about some other company moving to the core; why would you make a generalization like that unless they have some knowledge of that being a possibility?

The other comment was the 4 choices: don't relocate, move into an existing building, build your own, or lease a new building. It feels like they are looking for the last option.

sirkingwilliam Mar 13, 2014 9:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kornbread (Post 6491861)
There were some interesting comments made. Why the east side?

That comment was made by Lou Miller, who is on the advisory committee and who is also a member of the African American Chamber of Commerce of San Antonio. Which would explain his desire for the HQ to be in east downtown.

21bl0wed Mar 13, 2014 4:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kornbread (Post 6491861)
Thanks for posting the other article.

There were some interesting comments made. Why the east side?

Doyle Beneby (CPS president) is black. With what the other poster said, and hell even throw in promise zone incentives it may go on the eastside. Hopefully not deep in but near downtown just around vidorra. There's just too much speculation with stuff like this unless someone here is directly involved with the development

kornbread Mar 13, 2014 5:22 PM

I did think of the whole economic generator for the east side approach. I was more curious about city owned property; possible sites.

You are right about the speculation. That is all it is at this time since option 1 was "we don't move". So there's not even a proposal (maybe in 12months).

I thought there was some property that Zachry was hot to develop at one time on the near east side?

That's just speculation:notacrook:

sirkingwilliam Mar 13, 2014 8:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kornbread (Post 6492472)
I did think of the whole economic generator for the east side approach. I was more curious about city owned property; possible sites.

You are right about the speculation. That is all it is at this time since option 1 was "we don't move". So there's not even a proposal (maybe in 12months).

I thought there was some property that Zachry was hot to develop at one time on the near east side?

That's just speculation:notacrook:

Staying put isn't option 1, it's one of the four options. Whatever order they're placed in in an article is irrelevant. I can firmly tell you their preference is to remain downtown in a new HQ building they would lease.

kornbread Mar 13, 2014 11:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sirkingwilliam (Post 6492912)
Staying put isn't option 1, it's one of the four options. Whatever order they're placed in in an article is irrelevant. I can firmly tell you their preference is to remain downtown in a new HQ building they would lease.

Sure, as I stated earlier "It feels like they are looking for the last option".

By "Option 1" I meant the first he listed, not their first choice. It's obvious they want new digs.

sirkingwilliam Jun 30, 2014 2:11 PM

Quote:

This week CPS will put out a “request for information” from developers interested in doing a headquarters deal. That'll be followed in mid-September by a “request for qualifications” to ensure that the potential bidders are for real. Finally, the utility will put a “request for proposals” in November.

If all goes as planned, staffers will cut the list of contenders to three or four, and Beneby would recommend a finalist to the board of trustees early next year.

This is according to John Benedict, CPS' chief administrative officer.

Fireoutofclay Jul 2, 2014 7:29 PM

CPS Energy secures Cassidy Turley to help identify new HQ site

W. Scott Bailey
Reporter/Project Coordinator- San Antonio Business Journal
Jul 1, 2014, 2:43pm CDT Updated: Jul 2, 2014, 9:16am CDT

http://www.bizjournals.com/sanantoni...-identify.html

JACKinBeantown Jul 2, 2014 11:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fireoutofclay (Post 6639359)
W. Scott Bailey
Reporter/Project Coordinator- San Antonio Business Journal
Jul 1, 2014, 2:43pm CDT Updated: Jul 2, 2014, 9:16am CDT

That's very encouraging for the prospect of a new building downtown.

On a related noted, the photo they show has the Tower Life Building in it. It's still one of my favorites of all time.

Having trouble making it link, but here it is.
media.bizj.us/view/img/1667571/6-cps-energy-building-12-20sahubsnfp122013*600xx1500-1000-0-250.jpg

sirkingwilliam Jul 3, 2014 9:19 AM

cps energy secures cassidy turley to help identify new hq site

Quote:

CPS Energy is taking another step toward identifying a site for its new headquarters.

The San Antonio utility company has contracted with Washington, D.C.-based commercial real estate services firm Cassidy Turley to evaluate its current real estate assets in and to develop and implement a long-term plan for its headquarters facility.

Cassidy Turley will help CPS craft a strategy for acquiring space for its new headquarters and for disposition of its current San Antonio property downtown.

CPS Energy is the nation’s largest municipally owned energy utility. It has more than $10 billion in assets and more than $2.4 billion in annual revenues. The utility currently serves more than 741,000 electric customers and some 331,000 natural gas customers in the region.

Cassidy Turley will release a request for information (RFI) as part of an effort to identify all potential real estate opportunities in the market which can accommodate a corporate headquarters.

This RFI will be released during the first week of july to an initial list of targeted properties within a defined area encompassing downtown San Antonio. The RFI will also be released to an initial list of targeted investor-developers.

Cassidy Turley is inviting property owners and investor-developers to submit proposals for a new CPS Energy headquarters.

Quote:

Originally Posted by fireoutofclay (Post 6639359)
w. Scott bailey
reporter/project coordinator- san antonio business journal
jul 1, 2014, 2:43pm cdt updated: Jul 2, 2014, 9:16am cdt

sirkingwilliam Aug 9, 2014 5:53 PM

Quote:

Though it’s still in an exploratory phase, CPS Energy has received interest from 20 groups for its potential new downtown headquarters — groups either offering an existing building, offering land for a new building, or offering to construct a new building.

Earlier this year, CPS Energy formed a seven-member advisory committee to explore the possibility of the public utility moving from its current riverfront headquarters at 145 Navarro St. The objective is to find a new home, but also remain in the central business district.

Most of the submissions CPS Energy received in its initial request for interest are Texas-based firms offering either real estate for a new building or offering to construct one, according to Cassidy Turley, the Washington, D.C.-based firm handling the search.

“What we’re looking at right now is a cross spectrum of Texas-based firms,” said Frank McCafferty, an executive managing director at Cassidy Turley.

CPS Energy has declined to release the list of parties who responded to the city-owned utility’s informal request for information. The utility did say that the submissions will be shared with the advisory committee later this month. A more formal request for qualifications will be issued Oct. 8, and a request for proposals on Nov. 26, CPS Energy spokeswoman Lisa Lewis said.

“Really what (an RFI) is is you’re asking someone to respond back to you,” CPS Energy spokeswoman Lisa Lewis said. “What the opportunity is, what they own, who the team would be. Are there any encumbrances? It’s an information gathering stage. So you can determine if that is a viable option to move to the request for qualifications phase.”

The short list of firms and groups will be compiled before the request for proposals is issued, and at that time the utility will release names, Lewis said.

Lewis said the utility is going to follow the process through, but that doesn’t necessarily mean CPS Energy will abandon its current digs.

“Even with proposals, we will evaluate the cost-benefit against staying put,” Lewis said.

In a meeting in spring, CPS Energy CEO Doyle Beneby told the San Antonio Express-News Editorial Board that he was adamant about keeping the new headquarters in the center city.

“Typically in major cities, (utility) headquarters are typically in the urban core,” Beneby told the Express-News in March. “So, I don’t think we should be any different. But that’s our preference, obviously. But certainly, I think, suburbia is off thetable.

“If we can ultimately make the best economic decision, in terms of our modeling, and at the same time … help the urban core, I kind of feel we should do that if we can.”

IF CPS Energy moved, it would free up prime real estate along the River Walk for potential redevelopment. Its current headquarters — two buildings consisting of roughly 200,000 square feet — houses 800 employees. It’s been there since 1954.

fordman2800 Dec 10, 2014 3:24 PM

CPS new headquarters

Anyone have any new info on this proposed project?:???:

fordman2800 Dec 20, 2014 3:44 PM

What's the latest? Anyone?