SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Development (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=86)
-   -   CHICAGO | General Developments (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=105764)

ardecila Nov 5, 2019 7:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Baronvonellis (Post 8738191)
LOL, they say the base will have the appearance of porcelain. :haha:
It looks like concrete panels, I don't think it will be real terracotta which is probably what they are referring to. They can't even get the terminology right on what they are trying to imitate.

The description on the website is poorly-written, but there are porcelain facade systems available nowadays. Basically just the same porcelain tiles you'd put in a bathroom, but a little thicker and hung on a clip system instead of being mortared. Just like with tiles, the surface of the porcelain can be printed to resemble anything from natural stone to fabric to wood to concrete.

Baronvonellis Nov 5, 2019 8:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ardecila (Post 8739735)
The description on the website is poorly-written, but there are porcelain facade systems available nowadays. Basically just the same porcelain tiles you'd put in a bathroom, but a little thicker and hung on a clip system instead of being mortared. Just like with tiles, the surface of the porcelain can be printed to resemble anything from natural stone to fabric to wood to concrete.

Hmm, ok I didn't know about that, that's interesting. If that is what they are using, then I withdraw my comment. If they are using that porcelain facade system the base might look quite handsome.

KOgc Nov 5, 2019 10:23 PM

I believe the material on 444 Orleans that Harry posted pictures of a few pages back is a similar porcelain product or competitor. We are seeing it specified on more and more buildings these days. When done well, it can look pretty nice as an alternative to the real stuff that it is mimicking.

harryc Nov 5, 2019 11:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KOgc (Post 8739976)
I believe the material on 444 Orleans that Harry posted pictures of a few pages back is a similar porcelain product or competitor. We are seeing it specified on more and more buildings these days. When done well, it can look pretty nice as an alternative to the real stuff that it is mimicking.

Dekton

Nov 4

RedCorsair87 Nov 6, 2019 2:52 AM

^Am I the only one whom thinks this doesn't look good?

aaron38 Nov 6, 2019 4:28 AM

^^ It's above average.

I heard the Elbo Room in Lakeview is closing. Hopefully it finds a new owner, and can stay open as a music venue.

kolchak Nov 6, 2019 5:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RedCorsair87 (Post 8740210)
^Am I the only one whom thinks this doesn't look good?

Nope

Busy Bee Nov 6, 2019 1:56 PM

I'm not not saying that I don't think it doesn't look good.

LouisVanDerWright Nov 6, 2019 2:17 PM

The fake marble look is atrocious, but I can see it looking awesome if used in a way that doesn't ape other materials. I feel the same way about using tile in my units, I would NEVER use that fake stone or wood print tile, but there are a ton of tiles out there with geometric or "scraped" surfaces that look awesome.

I'll never understand why so many human beings are infatuated with imitation materials. It doesn't ever age well, all you need to do is ride in a late model Buick with plastic wood to know that...

Ned.B Nov 6, 2019 2:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aaron38 (Post 8740288)
^^ It's above average.

Above average compared to what? It's a combination of a bunch of trendy crap thrown at a building in the most haphazard of ways.

Unfortunately gray, white, and fake marble are also taking over the elevator lobbies of our building in a similarly tacky way. I guess we can look at it as providing for future opportunities when someone decides to rip it down and do something different in 10 years.

Baronvonellis Nov 6, 2019 3:27 PM

Well like any art it's the way you use the materials and not the materials themselves that determine great art. That building has crappy proportions and done in a haphazard way. If they had used elegant proportions it would be much better.

Handro Nov 6, 2019 3:51 PM

Does anyone have a clue when 123 S Peoria is supposed to break ground? Drove past on the Green side this morning and could swear I saw construction equipment behind the fence....

Via Chicago Nov 6, 2019 9:32 PM

the "marble" is Bad but the bigger issue is the continued awful trend of thinking that three random facades slapped together for no discernible reason is somehow a Good Idea

Busy Bee Nov 6, 2019 9:41 PM

^Oh mylord lord lord lord, preach it, mmmmhmm mmhmm

jc5680 Nov 6, 2019 10:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Via Chicago (Post 8741086)
the "marble" is Bad but the bigger issue is the continued awful trend of thinking that three random facades slapped together for no discernible reason is somehow a Good Idea

It looks like a mockup for a tradeshow where some building supplies company wanted to show off all of the their new exterior finish options.

LouisVanDerWright Nov 7, 2019 5:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jc5680 (Post 8741132)
It looks like a mockup for a tradeshow where some building supplies company wanted to show off all of the their new exterior finish options.

Spot on. I didn't think it was possible for them to make that poor little loft building any worse than the 1970s popcorn finish that was there. Yet somehow they pulled it off...

Hopefully someone will rip all this shit off again in 40 years and restore it properly with actual face brick.

djc2 Nov 7, 2019 3:01 PM

Sears Redevelopment

From Late September - Green Roof and Outdoor Deck

https://i.imgur.com/fh3yvoQh.jpg https://i.imgur.com/kMxMcIoh.jpg

ChiPlanner Nov 7, 2019 4:51 PM

Application filed with the city Landmarks Commission to demolish the buildings at the corner of Fulton and Sangamon (911-921 W Fulton/217-219 N Sangamon St). They're non-contributing members of the new(ish) Fulton-Randolph Market Historic District.

Anyone jog my memory what's been proposed here?

Via Chicago Nov 7, 2019 8:53 PM

Speaking of west loop, Fulton Galley food hall is closing after only 6 months.

https://chicago.eater.com/2019/11/7/...6AYQRUW6R37WUw

SteelMonkey Nov 7, 2019 9:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChiPlanner (Post 8741960)
Application filed with the city Landmarks Commission to demolish the buildings at the corner of Fulton and Sangamon (911-921 W Fulton/217-219 N Sangamon St). They're non-contributing members of the new(ish) Fulton-Randolph Market Historic District.

Anyone jog my memory what's been proposed here?

Not positive but this development will run down Sangamon between Fulton and Lake although its official address is on Lake

https://chicago.curbed.com/2019/7/26...ce-lake-street

or its

Fulton St. Companies, a venture bankrolled by Oak Brook-based Huizenga Capital Management, is under contract to buy more than half an acre at the southeast corner of Fulton Market and Sangamon Street from longtime food wholesaler Nealey Foods, according to Fulton St. founder Alex Najem, who plans to redevelop the property with a large office and retail project.

From Crains 06/19