SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum//index.php)
-   City Compilations (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum//forumdisplay.php?f=87)
-   -   SAN DIEGO | Boom Rundown, Vol. 2 (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum//showthread.php?t=126473)

HurricaneHugo Feb 26, 2010 11:25 PM

Well my campus has gone to shit rather quickly...

I'm praying that the protests dont turn violent like the ones in Berkeley.

bmfarley Feb 27, 2010 5:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HurricaneHugo (Post 4720521)
Well my campus has gone to shit rather quickly...

I'm praying that the protests dont turn violent like the ones in Berkeley.

I am stunned with what has occurred. It's quite embarassing for UCSD, San Diego, and California.

The word "responsibility" comes to mind when giving the events some thought... and specically, where and how did these people learn responsibility for their actions.

Their parents? Society as a whole?

bmfarley Feb 27, 2010 5:54 PM

In other events, something San Diegans can learn from.... Florida is back on track to implement HSR (high speed rail).

A tv station traveled to Spain to report on what HSR is and how it works there. The Florida system would be very similar to the one in Spain. Relative to San Diego.... the same is true with the California version... it would be very very similar.

I viewed a short video provided by that news station and found it portraying the system very accurately. Here it is:

http://www.wftv.com/rail/22662547/detail.html

kpexpress Feb 28, 2010 7:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eburress (Post 4716302)
Keeping the Chargers in San Diego is a worthwhile investment, financially and also for the city's morale. If downtown redevelopment money is what is going to fund this venture, then I am perfectly fine with it.

If this gets built using redevelopment funds (governed by state laws) I hope that all the fans enjoy heading to the games on crumbling roads and infrastructure that rival Baghdad.

HurricaneHugo Feb 28, 2010 5:24 PM

I can't even feel potholes on my gas-guzzling Hummer!:cool:

dl3000 Feb 28, 2010 10:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HurricaneHugo (Post 4720521)
Well my campus has gone to shit rather quickly...

I'm praying that the protests dont turn violent like the ones in Berkeley.

Now now I don't recall the ones in Berkeley being about racist bullshit, I can't believe those idiots were provoking people so publicly with that show.

tdavis Mar 1, 2010 12:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dl3000 (Post 4723311)
Now now I don't recall the ones in Berkeley being about racist bullshit, I can't believe those idiots were provoking people so publicly with that show.

FYI - I received an email from the Empowering Spirits Foundation about the UCSD issue. There is an upcoming press conference to address hate crimes in SD. Here is the event link: http://www.facebook.com/event.php?ei...928649&index=1

mongoXZ Mar 1, 2010 3:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kpexpress (Post 4722499)
If this gets built using redevelopment funds (governed by state laws) I hope that all the fans enjoy heading to the games on crumbling roads and infrastructure that rival Baghdad.

Ugh. You're beginning to sound like a typical San diego NIMBY. Potholes this potholes that. Fact of the matter is that the infrastructure will always need fine-tuning. The city's streets will never be in 100% pristine condition.

Didn't someone earlier post a number for people to contact to repave a specific pothole they're obsessing over?

tdavis Mar 1, 2010 4:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mongoXZ (Post 4723731)
Didn't someone earlier post a number for people to contact to repave a specific pothole they're obsessing over?

Just fill out the request online - http://apps.sandiego.gov/streetdiv/

I've lived in 7 cities across 3 countries, SD has the best roads of all the cities I've lived in.

DIESELPOLO Mar 1, 2010 7:09 AM

Dubious Stadium Building
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by eburress (Post 4718188)
Though there are clear economic benefits to building a stadium and keeping the Chargers (several articles have been posted here), my contention is that the benefits of doing so go beyond just the economic (e.g., emotional, morale, national relevance).

Burress, the whole idea of the stadium going downtown i would argue doesn't have an emotional benefit but rather that emotions are partially what drives people to support things of this nature. Strong emotions would surely not want the Chargers to leave SD, but are they threatening to leave the city if they don't get a new stadium? And the national relevance of the stadium move? That I don't understand- you'd have to elaborate.

Its like a corporation that you want in your city, but jeez, should a city really be saddled with building the equivalent of Qualcommom's corporate HQ?

dl3000 Mar 1, 2010 7:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tdavis (Post 4723400)
FYI - I received an email from the Empowering Spirits Foundation about the UCSD issue. There is an upcoming press conference to address hate crimes in SD. Here is the event link: http://www.facebook.com/event.php?ei...928649&index=1

Interesting. It's true the hate has to end.

And I'm for the Chargers staying, but if the city has to cover more than a third the bill (just a number I feel is the max) then the Chargers lost points with me. Despite their success, they still haven't brought us a Super Bowl and I've followed the team since '92 (that's the earliest I understood what I was watching on the games).

eburress Mar 1, 2010 7:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DIESELPOLO (Post 4723999)
Burress, the whole idea of the stadium going downtown i would argue doesn't have an emotional benefit but rather that emotions are partially what drives people to support things of this nature. Strong emotions would surely not want the Chargers to leave SD, but are they threatening to leave the city if they don't get a new stadium? And the national relevance of the stadium move? That I don't understand- you'd have to elaborate.

Its like a corporation that you want in your city, but jeez, should a city really be saddled with building the equivalent of Qualcommom's corporate HQ?

I don't know that Spanos has publicly threatened to leave if he/the Chargers don't receive a new stadium, but I believe the assumption is that he would rather move the Chargers to the new LA stadium but is first giving San Diego the opportunity to attempt to get something done. If they are unable to do so, then he's taking the Chargers to LA.

Assuming that this is the case, the national relevance of San Diego losing the Chargers would be, among other things, lost attention or notoriety (e.g., no more Super Bowls), decreased opinion (San Diego is seen nationally as a "can't do" city), and appeal (e.g., businesses moving to a region often site sports teams as an compelling factor).

I think the corporation analogy is a very good one. Cities do go to great lengths and spend a lot of money to attract corporate headquarters, and the Chargers are a corporation San Diego can't afford to lose.

Derek Mar 1, 2010 8:31 PM

The Chargers are pretty much all that San Diego has besides it's weather. :P

Fusey Mar 1, 2010 8:49 PM

But you hate the weather, Derek. ;)

eburress brings up a good point. Many corporations look at local sports teams (along with concert halls, art museums, etc.) as a way to entertain clients. I'm not saying that that is a major reason to build the chargers a new stadium, but certainly it's an important one to consider.

Derek Mar 2, 2010 6:11 AM

I DO hate the weather! But, for some reason, everybody else seems to love it...:shrug:

eburress Mar 2, 2010 5:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fusey (Post 4724734)
But you hate the weather, Derek. ;)

eburress brings up a good point. Many corporations look at local sports teams (along with concert halls, art museums, etc.) as a way to entertain clients. I'm not saying that that is a major reason to build the chargers a new stadium, but certainly it's an important one to consider.

It's one of the reasons that cities like Dallas, Chicago, and Atlanta do so well in attracting corporate headquarters.

As far as National opinion or notoriety is concerned, cities' sports teams are definitely relevant. For example, the woes of cities' sports teams are sited repeatedly in Forbes' list of America's Most Miserable Cities.

staplesla Mar 2, 2010 6:01 PM

My company recently moved its headquarters to Dallas from here. One of the items the exploratory committee was asked to take into account was local sport venues.

Derek Mar 2, 2010 6:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by staplesla (Post 4726342)
My company recently moved its headquarters to Dallas from here. One of the items the exploratory committee was asked to take into account was local sport venues.



But the Rangers aren't any good... :P

staplesla Mar 2, 2010 8:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Derek (Post 4726369)
But the Rangers aren't any good... :P

Haha. We were instructed to rank each city based on the available sporting options for wining/dining clients in each city, not the level of the talent.

I personally was sad to see everyone move from CA, but the committee failed CA and SD on almost every other category as well - cost of housing, rent, taxes, cost of doing business, average commute times, etc.

kpexpress Mar 3, 2010 12:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mongoXZ (Post 4723731)
Ugh. You're beginning to sound like a typical San diego NIMBY. Potholes this potholes that. Fact of the matter is that the infrastructure will always need fine-tuning. The city's streets will never be in 100% pristine condition.

Didn't someone earlier post a number for people to contact to repave a specific pothole they're obsessing over?

I think our streets are "crumbling" in more ways than just potholes. I really don't care about potholes, they're annoying, but I really don't drive that much. Our INFRASTRUCTURE is horrible. Our streets lack life, humanity, trees, plants, bike lanes, decent sidewalks (not for just walking), activity, local shops, etc. PRISTINE is the last word I can think to describe the overall street/sidewalk/streetwall condition that exists in the Centre City.

I'm no NIMBY, but I hope that the Stadium does not get built in the East Village using money that's protected by state law. I don't see it as a viable investment to spur development in the EV. ALso, I don't think that building an enormous stadium is the type of development that best fits in that corner of the Centre City. I've always imagined it an expansive dense low rise/row home community with families. The scale just doesn't fit.


All times are GMT. The time now is 2:06 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.