SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum//index.php)
-   St. John's (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum//forumdisplay.php?f=700)
-   -   [St. John's] Retail Thread (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum//showthread.php?t=198935)

statbass Aug 10, 2013 11:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Arrakis (Post 6227657)
Seems like a lot of more retail space being built on White Rose Drive behind Dominion.
https://fbcdn-sphotos-h-a.akamaihd.n...71798697_n.jpg

What are the two stores next to Golftown? As for the building in your other post, I have no idea....:shrug:

Arrakis Aug 10, 2013 10:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by statbass (Post 6227763)
What are the two stores next to Golftown? As for the building in your other post, I have no idea....:shrug:

The two stores next to Golf Town are Wicker Emporium and some Lingerie store.

jeddy1989 Aug 11, 2013 2:49 PM

The Avalon mall has a few store changes as well. Victoria Secret is taking up the whole space from next to La Senza to where the hair salon was (it moved as well as 2 other stores to make room)
Also Bench is opening as mentioned above and the Sony store was replaced by some games and calendar store lol. I haven't walked around much but that's what I noticed on my way to the movies haha

Trevor3 Aug 11, 2013 10:44 PM

I'm in Fredericton for the weekend and spoke with an employee at H&M who mentioned that "we're coming you're way soon" after I said I was from NL. Since everyone automatically assumes you're from St. John's when you say you're from Newfoundland, I believe they will actually be coming your way soon!

SignalHillHiker Aug 11, 2013 10:55 PM

Ooh, awesome, thanks for the news, Trevor! :-)

Townie709 Aug 12, 2013 3:33 PM

They're in Fredericton and not here!?!? Well I should hope they do come soon :haha:

jeddy1989 Aug 12, 2013 3:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trevor3 (Post 6228878)
I'm in Fredericton for the weekend and spoke with an employee at H&M who mentioned that "we're coming you're way soon" after I said I was from NL. Since everyone automatically assumes you're from St. John's when you say you're from Newfoundland, I believe they will actually be coming your way soon!

GOOD! it makes ZERO sense that they are not here yet :S :cheers:

Arrakis Aug 30, 2013 3:48 AM

Hey has anyone heard a rumour of a possible retail development on the land that is currently a golf driving range next door to Mamma Soula's on Torbay Road?

J_Murphy Aug 30, 2013 11:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Arrakis (Post 6249429)
Hey has anyone heard a rumour of a possible retail development on the land that is currently a golf driving range next door to Mamma Soula's on Torbay Road?

The address of that property is 421 Torbay Road. A quick google search shows that there was a permit issued for "retail store" about a year ago. I haven't heard anything else though. It is a fair size piece of land and I don't see how that mini golf course makes any money.

http://www.stjohns.ca/sites/default/...011%202012.pdf

Edit: Looks like that permit was for a mobile sign, didn't know that is what the MS stood for...oops.

Arrakis Aug 30, 2013 1:33 PM

Thanks J_Murphy for the info. Appreciate it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by J_Murphy (Post 6249564)
The address of that property is 421 Torbay Road. A quick google search shows that there was a permit issued for "retail store" about a year ago. I haven't heard anything else though. It is a fair size piece of land and I don't see how that mini golf course makes any money.

http://www.stjohns.ca/sites/default/...011%202012.pdf

Edit: Looks like that permit was for a mobile sign, didn't know that is what the MS stood for...oops.


Arrakis Sep 30, 2013 2:59 PM

https://fbcdn-sphotos-h-a.akamaihd.n...76573418_n.jpg

Is it me or is this renovation of Walmart on Aberdeen Drive really lame? Not sure what Walmart Canada is thinking here? They moved the main Walmart sign off to the side for some reason and put a lame-ass welcome sign in its place. They have also repainted the front of the building in several different shades of beige too which brings nothing to the facade of mixed tiles, rough brick and flat surfaces. The actual paint job is pretty poor too if you look at it up close...crooked paint lines everywhere. Hard to paint clean straight lines though on mixed surface of tiles and rough faced bricks. A real hodge podge of colours and styles that go against everything that is good branding. I imagine they are renovating in anticipation of Target's opening later this fall. But this is pretty sad look building. I think they actually made it look worse than it was before. Old and outdated. I am actually quite surprised that this new paint scheme looks so amateurish. Geez Pipers looks better than this mess.

jeddy1989 Sep 30, 2013 4:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Arrakis (Post 6284499)
https://fbcdn-sphotos-h-a.akamaihd.n...76573418_n.jpg

Is it me or is this renovation of Walmart on Aberdeen Drive really lame? Not sure what Walmart Canada is thinking here? They moved the main Walmart sign off to the side for some reason and put a lame-ass welcome sign in its place. They have also repainted the front of the building in several different shades of beige too which brings nothing to the facade of mixed tiles, rough brick and flat surfaces. The actual paint job is pretty poor too if you look at it up close...crooked paint lines everywhere. Hard to paint clean straight lines though on mixed surface of tiles and rough faced bricks. A real hodge podge of colours and styles that go against everything that is good branding. I imagine they are renovating in anticipation of Target's opening later this fall. But this is pretty sad look building. I think they actually made it look worse than it was before. Old and outdated. I am actually quite surprised that this new paint scheme looks so amateurish. Geez Pipers looks better than this mess.

They're re doing all the wal marts :S

Arrakis Sep 30, 2013 7:28 PM

I know. And they are doing them all wrong. LOL. Hate the new floor plan which is same as they did with the Mt Pearl store couple of years ago. Totally confusing with isles changing direction all over the place. I dont mind them moving depts around, most large stores do that, but you need to keep the flow simple.

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeddy1989 (Post 6284590)
They're re doing all the wal marts :S


Townie709 Sep 30, 2013 7:53 PM

It's not a good time for them to be putting a bullet in their foot.. They're making it that much easier for the grand unveiling of Target in November. The new look of the walmarts is very amateur to me.. I also don't like the confusing new layout.

Trevor3 Sep 30, 2013 9:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Arrakis (Post 6284499)
https://fbcdn-sphotos-h-a.akamaihd.n...76573418_n.jpg

Is it me or is this renovation of Walmart on Aberdeen Drive really lame? Not sure what Walmart Canada is thinking here? They moved the main Walmart sign off to the side for some reason and put a lame-ass welcome sign in its place. They have also repainted the front of the building in several different shades of beige too which brings nothing to the facade of mixed tiles, rough brick and flat surfaces. The actual paint job is pretty poor too if you look at it up close...crooked paint lines everywhere. Hard to paint clean straight lines though on mixed surface of tiles and rough faced bricks. A real hodge podge of colours and styles that go against everything that is good branding. I imagine they are renovating in anticipation of Target's opening later this fall. But this is pretty sad look building. I think they actually made it look worse than it was before. Old and outdated. I am actually quite surprised that this new paint scheme looks so amateurish. Geez Pipers looks better than this mess.

That mess on Aberdeen is the same scheme they use on Walmart Supercentres and it looks terrible on a last generation Wal-Mart building. One of the Walmarts in Fredericton was just reno'ed into a Supercentre and has the same paint scheme, but it's on a building that was built for it with 2 peaks, one blue with a sign and one brown.

Marty_Mcfly Sep 30, 2013 10:35 PM

Same awkward, nasty Wal Mart reno happening here in Charlottetown.

Arrakis Oct 1, 2013 1:47 AM

Yeah its bizarre. I like their new logo but the new exterior paint scheme is so poorly excited, it makes the building look 10 times worse than it did before. I have no idea what they are thinking here.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marty_Mcfly (Post 6285132)
Same awkward, nasty Wal Mart reno happening here in Charlottetown.


Larla77 Oct 3, 2013 7:54 PM

Seeing on a job posting site that children's store Carters is looking for a store manager for a new store in the Harvey Power Center. Also Town Shoes is looking for a manager and staff as well for a store in St. John's.

wmemeadusjr Oct 4, 2013 4:19 PM

Every time I drive by Walmart I'm just puzzled at the new colour scheme. It looks like they couldn't decide on a colour. Target uses several different colours, but they blend really well together and the place looks great. They really did do a great job on the old Zellers building on Stavanger Drive. The Walmarts look completely aweful now.

wmemeadusjr Oct 4, 2013 4:24 PM

I'm really disappointed with the job Walmart did on the old Zellers Topsail Road location as well. K-mart open there in the laste 60's, Zellers took over the place in the 90's and did little with the building except change the sign and now Walmart has done basically the same thing. It really shows on the exterior. Inside is just as bad as much of the same flooring remains and the ceiling tiles and lighting of the old K-mart still remain.


All times are GMT. The time now is 4:43 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.