SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   Manitoba & Saskatchewan (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=129)
-   -   First the Jets leave town, now Wendy's!?! (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=131027)

Only The Lonely.. May 9, 2007 11:50 PM

First the Jets leave town, now Wendy's!?!

I was talking to a few people in the office and somebody told me that there will be all but one Wendy's left in Winnipeg by this time next year.

Apparently the franchise has decided not to renew its lease in many of the properties it operates out of. The only franchises that will remain are likely to be those that also contain a Tim Hortons.

Thus far the Wendy's on both Henderson Hwy and Main have closed, apparently the one in Transcona has been torn down. In all cases, save for maybe Main st. the vacated restaurants are to be converted to either Starbucks or Tony Roma's.

So shed a tear tonight and grab yourself a classic single combo. It might be your last chance for a very long time to do what tastes right. :(

http://blog.turntablelab.com/images/wendy-fest.jpg

IntotheWest May 10, 2007 12:19 AM

^You can't complain when one of those major fast food chains leave your city...just not worth it, and too many other good places to get a burger anyways (let's start with Albert St).

Only The Lonely.. May 10, 2007 12:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IntotheWest (Post 2825061)
^You can't complain when one of those major fast food chains leave your city...just not worth it, and too many other good places to get a burger anyways (let's start with Albert St).

Big Al makes a fine burger, but there's no where to sit down. Ohh, how I wish they would buy up the vacant surface lot next door and expand the restaurant or at least add a patio.

SmileyBoy May 10, 2007 12:22 AM

That's too bad. Soon Fargo will have more Wendy's than Winnipeg.:(

Only The Lonely.. May 10, 2007 12:24 AM

What I don't understand is why the chain would completely abandon a major Canadian market. It doesn't really make any sense. The restaurant in my end of town always did pretty well or so I thought.

The Jabroni May 10, 2007 1:37 AM

Wendy's on McPhillips seems to be not doing too bad, but traffic at their restaurant has been going down for a few years now. I guess I should drive by more often, since the last time I had a meal from them was 5 years ago.

Smron May 10, 2007 1:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SmileyBoy (Post 2825076)
That's too bad. Soon Fargo will have more Wendy's than Winnipeg.:(

I guess you need a higher Wendy's per capita in the USA to maintain the current level of obesity.

Daaayum!

ScrappyPeg May 10, 2007 1:48 AM

I won't be all too disappointed if a Tony Roma's replaces the Wendy's on Regent.:yes:

IntotheWest May 10, 2007 2:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Only The Lonely.. (Post 2825068)
Big Al makes a fine burger, but there's no where to sit down. Ohh, how I wish they would buy up the vacant surface lot next door and expand the restaurant or at least add a patio.

Go across the street...or at least that's how it used to be.

I used to like Juniors way back...and that place on Main st.

I don't think I've been to Wendy's in years.

The Jabroni May 10, 2007 2:16 AM

You know, if Wendy's leaves, they should add a Red Robin restaurant around here. I don't know if we actually have one, but if not, they should. Gawd, their burgers are amazing. (Unfortunately, I was told they're a chain).

newflyer May 10, 2007 2:20 AM

:gaah: NOoooooooo!!!! :gaah:

Wendy's is by far my favorite fast food chain. Those frosties rule.. and I am also a big Classic Single Combo meal fan. This sucks!!

The Wendy's out on west Portage was usually always busy .. and the one across from Polo Park also did a very strong business. It makes no sense the chain is closing up locations. What the hell is wrong with the world today, when a great burger chain leaves town.

What one will be the lone existing location .... I will visiting them when I come to Winnipeg.

BigG May 10, 2007 3:14 AM

Well, there's so many other fast food places that we don't have here. How 'bout we get a:

IHOP
Red Robin
White Castle
TGI Fridays (tho' not really fast food)
Krispy Kreme
Sonic Drive-In
White Spot
etc.

I can feel my arteries clogging up already.

Greco Roman May 10, 2007 3:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigG (Post 2825498)
Well, there's so many other fast food places that we don't have here. How 'bout we get a:

IHOP
Red Robin
White Castle
TGI Fridays (tho' not really fast food)
Krispy Kreme
Sonic Drive-In
White Spot
etc.

I can feel my arteries clogging up already.

I'm up for any of those, except White Spot. They are truly disgusting. :yuck:

newflyer May 10, 2007 3:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Albertaboy (Post 2825509)
I'm up for any of those, except White Spot. They are truly disgusting. :yuck:

White Spot is horrible... barf. .... White Castle is also discusting.

Red Robin's would be nice, but not fast food. Its a sitdown restaurant.

I went to IHOP in Slidell once for breakfast .. ordered some meal, which included "Canadian Bacon".

The meal arrived with a slice of ham.. I asked the waitress why they call that Canadian Bacon.

She said thats what they call in Canada... <???>

I told her I was Canadian and that wasn't bacon .. it was ham. She didn't believe me. :shrug:

Xelebes May 10, 2007 4:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by newflyer (Post 2825514)
White Spot is horrible... barf. .... White Castle is also discusting.

Red Robin's would be nice, but not fast food. Its a sitdown restaurant.

I went to IHOP in Slidell once for breakfast .. ordered some meal, which included "Canadian Bacon".

The meal arrived with a slice of ham.. I asked the waitress why they call that Canadian Bacon.

She said thats what they call in Canada... <???>

I told her I was Canadian and that wasn't bacon .. it was ham. She didn't believe me. :shrug:

LMAO, oh my...

RAFS May 10, 2007 4:23 AM

Jack in the Box! I need more antenna balls (no jokes, please).

The Wendy's on Henderson used to be absolutely dead. I'm not surprised they closed. It will be opening as a Starbucks in August. Can't wait (although a Second Cup would be better - but hey, does Henderson even have a good coffee place right now?).

1ajs May 10, 2007 4:42 AM

bizarr eh espeacialy the one on regent it was packed when i used it last in january..... passed by it yesterday and its been demolished WTF?????

1ajs May 10, 2007 4:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IntotheWest (Post 2825338)
Go across the street...or at least that's how it used to be.

I used to like Juniors way back...and that place on Main st.

I don't think I've been to Wendy's in years.

that place on main? wat near the old cibc? or near aberdeen?

Jimbo May 10, 2007 5:08 AM

No, it's not closing, they're turning Wendy's into Wendy's/Tim Hortons.

Like they did with KFC & Taco Bell.

The Diva May 10, 2007 10:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Jabroni (Post 2825345)
You know, if Wendy's leaves, they should add a Red Robin restaurant around here. I don't know if we actually have one, but if not, they should. Gawd, their burgers are amazing. (Unfortunately, I was told they're a chain).

I haven't been to a Red Robin in about 7 years...what I remember from the one I would go to in Vancouver is how awesome the burgers are...yummy.

Up until a few months ago, I had not been to Wendy's in....in...well, I don't remember. I really enjoy Wendy's burgers--they taste like they are more custom-made more than a chain (a la McDicks). I still enjoy my Whopper with extra cheese. Moxie's has a great burger, as does, believe it or not, Basils on Osborne! Dari Whip on Marion, too....