SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   San Antonio (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=447)
-   -   SAN ANTONIO │ Urban Core Development Rundown (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=208847)

sirkingwilliam Dec 14, 2013 8:42 AM

SAN ANTONIO │ Urban Core Development Rundown

Decided to do away with the development scorecard and instead make a urban core development map that shows all the urban core developments either under construction or proposed.

UNDER CONSTRUCTION
RESIDENTIAL UNITS: 2,063 │ HOTEL ROOMS: 295

• JOSKE'S REDEVELOPMENT │ REDEVELOPMENT OF A 500,000 SQUARE FOOT BUILDING INTO A SHOPPING AND ENTERTAINMENT DESTINATION │ DOWNTOWN
  • CONVENTION CENTER EXPANSION │ 325 MILLION DOLLAR EXPANSION │ DOWNTOWN
  • THE RIVER HOUSE │ 261-UNIT RESIDENTIAL DEVELOPMENT │ RIVER NORTH
  • 1130 BROADWAY │ 300-UNIT RESIDENTIAL DEVELOPMENT │ RIVER NORTH
  • TOBIN CENTER FOR THE PERFORMING ARTS │ 210 MILLION DOLLAR STATE-OF-THE-ART PERFORMING ARTS CENTER │ RIVER NORTH
  • EILAN RIVERWALK │ 350-UNIT RESIDENTIAL DEVELOPMENT │ DOWNTOWN
  • SAN PEDRO CREEK REDEVELOPMENT │ 275 MILLION DOLLAR REVITALIZATION OF A 2-MILE STRETCH OF THE SAN PEDRO CREEK │ RIVER NORTH, DOWNTOWN, SOFLO
  • ALAMO BEER COMPANY BREWERY AND BREWPUB │ BREWERY AND BREWPUB │ NEAR EAST
  • HOTEL EMMA │ 145-ROOM BOUTIQUE HOTEL │ THE PEARL
  • THE CELLARS │ TEN STORY, 100-UNIT RESIDENTIAL DEVELOPMENT │ THE PEARL
  • BIG TEX │ 336-UNIT MIXED-USE DEVELOPMENT │ SOUTHTOWN
  • WESTEND STATION │ REDEVELOPMENT OF FORMER TRAIN DEPOT INTO A MULTI-MODAL TRANSIT STATION │ WESTEND
  • PEANUT FACTORY │ 98-UNIT RESIDENTIAL DEVELOPMENT │ CATTLEMAN SQUARE
  • SAN ANTONIO CHILDREN'S MUSEUM │ NEW 40 MILLION DOLLAR CHILDREN'S MUSEUM │ LOWER BROADWAY
  • CITY VISTA │ 145-UNIT RESIDENTIAL DEVELOPMENT │ UPTOWN
  • TOBIN LOFTS PHASE II │75-UNIT RESIDENTIAL DEVELOPMENT │ TOBIN HILL
  • H-E-B HEADQUARTERS AND GROCERY STORE │ 140 MILLION DOLLAR EXPANSION OF DOWNTOWN HEADQUARTERS AS WELL AS A GROCERY STORE, CULINARY SCHOOL │ DOWNTOWN, SOUTHTOWN
  • 519 ROOSEVELT AVENUE │ 28 MODERN TOWNHOMES │ SOUTH OF SOUTHTOWN
  • CONFLUENCE PARK │ NEW MULTI MILLION DOLLAR PARK ALONG THE SAN ANTONIO RIVER │ MISSION REACH
  • MISSION ROAD TRAILER PARK REDEVELOPMENT │ 75 MILLION DOLLAR, 345-UNIT RESIDENTIAL DEVELOPMENT TO REPLACE A TRAILOR PARK │ MISSION REACH, RIVERSIDE
  • HILTON GARDEN INN │ TEN STORY, 250 ROOM HOTEL │ DOWNTOWN
  • TERRELL BUILDING │ REDEVELOPMENT OF BUILDING INTO 100-UNIT TIMESHARE │ DOWNTOWN
  • EAST QUINCY TOWNHOMES │ 25 TOWNHOMES │ TOBIN HILL
  • BRACKENRIDGE AT MIDTOWN │ 282-UNIT RESIDENTIAL DEVELOPMENT │ MIDTOWN BROADWAY

PROPOSED
RESIDENTIAL UNITS: 4,313
  • FROST BANK HEADQUARTERS │ 40-50 STORY OFFICE TOWER │ DOWNTOWN
  • CPS ENERGY HEADQUARTERS │ OFFICE TOWER │ DOWNTOWN
  • JOSKE'S MIXED-USE │ MIXED USE TOWER OR TOWERS WITH RESIDENTIAL AND HOTEL │ DOWNTOWN
  • W HOTEL │ 33-STORY W HOTEL │ DOWNTOWN
  • ST. PAUL SQUARE DEVELOPMENT │ 800 RESIDENTIAL UNITS IN MULTIPLE HIGHRISES │ ST. PAUL SQUARE
  • MERCHANT'S ICE LOFTS │ 230-UNIT RESIDENTIAL DEVELOPMENT │ NEAR EAST
  • JONES AVE & BROADWAY ST. │ 300-UNIT RESIDENTIAL DEVELOPMENT │ RIVER NORTH
  • 1221 BROADWAY PHASE II │ 100-UNIT RESIDENTIAL DEVELOPMENT │ RIVER NORTH
  • NEW FEDERAL COURTHOUSE │ AWAITING FEDERAL FUNDING │ DOWNTOWN
  • SOUTHWEST SCHOOL OF ARTS │ 200-UNIT MIXED USE DEVELOPMENT │ DOWNTOWN
  • AVENUE B & 9TH STREET │ 350-UNIT RESIDENTIAL DEVELOPMENT │ RIVER NORTH
  • JEFFERSON ST, RESIDENTIAL HIGHRISE │ 35-40 STORY RESIDENTIAL HIGHRISE │ DOWNTOWN
  • AVENUE B & 8TH STREET │ 300-UNIT RESIDENTIAL DEVELOPMENT │ RIVER NORTH
  • PEARL DEVELOPMENT │ 800-UNIT DEVELOPMENT PLANNED ON 5-ACRES OF UNDEVELOPED LAND │ THE PEAR;
  • TOBIN CENTER PARKING GARAGE │ 6 LEVEL MIXED-USE PARKING GARAGE │ DOWNTOWN
  • MAUREAUX BUILDING │ 242-UNIT MIXED-USE DEVELOPMENT │ WESTEND
  • ST. JOHN'S SEMINARY SCHOOL │ 250-UNIT REDEVELOPMENT │ RIVERSIDE
  • WATER STREET │ MIXED-USE DEVELOPMENT. PART OF PHASE I OF HEMISFAIR REDEVELOPMENT │ DOWNTOWN
  • 300 SOUTH ALAMO │ 12-STORY, MIXED-USE DEVELOPMENT. PART OF PHASE I OF HEMISFAIR REDEVELOPMENT │ DOWNTOWN
  • LAVACA TOWNHOMES │ FOUR MODERN TOWNHOMES │ LAVACA
  • ALAMO STREET & 10TH STREET │ 250-UNIT RESIDENTIAL DEVELOPMENT │ RIVER NORTH
  • SOUTHTOWN VILLAS │ 212-UNIT RESIDENTIAL DEVELOPMENT │ SOUTHTOWN
  • DWYER STREET │ 272-UNIT RESIDENTIAL DEVELOPMENT │ DOWNTOWN

If I'm missing any, feel free to respond in this thread or send me a PM.

kornbread Dec 14, 2013 3:55 PM

I was looking at the scorecard which has a line about Pearl development proposing 800 units (separate from the Cellars). I don't recall seeing anything. Is that an actual proposal or just something mentioned with regards to the properties they own off Broadway and on the river?

sirkingwilliam Dec 15, 2013 1:54 AM

I've opened the thread to allow for scoreboard related discussion.

sirkingwilliam Dec 15, 2013 1:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kornbread (Post 6374316)
I was looking at the scorecard which has a line about Pearl development proposing 800 units (separate from the Cellars). I don't recall seeing anything. Is that an actual proposal or just something mentioned with regards to the properties they own off Broadway and on the river?

Pearl developers have talked about it to the media multiple times.

Here is one example:

Quote:

A couple of years ago, the development firm purchased several lots west of the San Antonio River. A timeline hasn't been disclosed but the firm plans to build as many as 800 apartments there, bringing the Pearl's total residential footprint to about 1,200 units.
Source.

21bl0wed Dec 28, 2013 6:26 PM

Thank god for the CCDO pushing most of these projects, would hate to see where we would be at development wise if that department was never created.

anyway, i'd like a link to the CPS highrise proposal, any renderings out yet? Or are we just assuming stuff?

Edit: just saw CPS thread. "doesn't have to be something grand" yet wants to establish a presence in the skyline..hmm in SA a 10 story tower can do that. Hopefully it'll be something more substantial.

Paul in S.A TX Jan 5, 2014 5:25 PM

kornbread Jan 5, 2014 6:52 PM

The CPS move is listed as proposed, but that's not really the case. They have put the idea out there for a private developer to add new office space to downtown, and they would be willing to lease. I understand them wanting to move into new modern offices. However, I would not be surprised to see them move into upgraded offices in the old at&t campus on the river. It's hard to imagine someone else moving into those spaces anytime soon. USAA had the chance, instead they chose some old strip space out in the burbs (way to commit to the city:???:)

If this is a catch all for development, then the Federal Courthouse is also missing.

sirkingwilliam Jan 5, 2014 7:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kornbread (Post 6394389)
The CPS move is listed as proposed, but that's not really the case. They have put the idea out there for a private developer to add new office space to downtown, and they would be willing to lease. I understand them wanting to move into new modern offices. However, I would not be surprised to see them move into upgraded offices in the old at&t campus on the river. It's hard to imagine someone else moving into those spaces anytime soon. USAA had the chance, instead they chose some old strip space out in the burbs (way to commit to the city:???:)

If this is a catch all for development, then the Federal Courthouse is also missing.

The CPS CEO has said it will be a new construction building and that they will not be leasing space in any current building[s] dowmtowm. Them just relocating to the former at&t buildings in river north is not going to happen.

This was in the last article covering the new CPS HQ.

Quote:

Previously, CPS had considered a proposal from a group led by prominent developer Ed Cross.

Under that proposal, the parties would have swapped the utility's downtown properties — its headquarters at 145 Navarro St., the parking garage and office space across the street, as well as nearby surface parking lot — and a facility on the Northwest Side in exchange for two former AT&T office buildings at 500 and 530 McCullough Ave.

Cross' proposal was put on ice in May.

kornbread Jan 5, 2014 8:41 PM

The reality of a new office building being ready for move-in is likely 3 years away. That would mean nothing can be done with the CPS building for 3 years. Wouldn't you expect something has to happen sooner for the parties involved in that proposed sale? I don't know, I think anything can happen at this point.:shrug:

sirkingwilliam Jan 5, 2014 10:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kornbread (Post 6394503)
The reality of a new office building being ready for move-in is likely 3 years away. That would mean nothing can be done with the CPS building for 3 years. Wouldn't you expect something has to happen sooner for the parties involved in that proposed sale? I don't know, I think anything can happen at this point.:shrug:

Once they moved out, they'd sell, or they'd sell and lease until their new space was ready. There's really nothing too complicated about what's happening.

The CEO wants something new that will improve the skyline. :cheers:

sirkingwilliam Jun 8, 2014 1:30 PM

Fireoutofclay Jun 9, 2014 9:06 PM

Anything going on at Florida and S Presa? I thought I heard about some apartments going up there. The reason I ask is because the building that is currently there is in the process of being demolished.

sirkingwilliam Jun 30, 2014 12:34 PM

Onward Jul 2, 2014 8:53 AM

Thanks for creating/updating this map sirkingwilliam. Great idea and it's great for the big picture of all the projects going on in San Antonio. Makes things way easier to track from the other side of the Country.

sirkingwilliam Aug 30, 2014 8:55 AM

SAinthe21stC Oct 16, 2015 6:01 PM

Just curious. Is there any way to update the map (link) to indicate what is complete, under construction, proposed, etc.?

Restless 1 Oct 18, 2015 6:13 AM

JOSKE'S MIXED-USE │ MIXED USE TOWER OR TOWERS WITH RESIDENTIAL AND HOTEL │ DOWNTOWN

Is this still in the works? I have to believe, based upon history, that if there is even a hint of a shadow falling on the Alamo at 5 P.M. in December from these buildings, then it is a no go.

arkitekte Oct 21, 2015 12:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Restless 1 (Post 7202018)
JOSKE'S MIXED-USE │ MIXED USE TOWER OR TOWERS WITH RESIDENTIAL AND HOTEL │ DOWNTOWN

Is this still in the works? I have to believe, based upon history, that if there is even a hint of a shadow falling on the Alamo at 5 P.M. in December from these buildings, then it is a no go.

No.

WorldTexas Dec 12, 2015 11:51 PM

I have a question that popped into my head thinking about how downtown's changed in the last ten years and the new announcement at Hemisfair -

What changed from the last boom to this one that led to more interest in low rises along the fringe?

During the last building cycle, we got 3 tall downtown residential options - Vistana, Vidorra, and Alteza. And one tower farther out - The Broadway. This time it's all been lower height options in Southtown and around Pearl.

I understand the condo finance rules changed, but Vistana has been full since it opened. Yet no new mid-rise apartments 'til Hemisfair.

Did construction costs go up? were those anamolies? ... Ideas?

Bigfoot Yancey Dec 13, 2015 5:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WorldTexas (Post 7268225)
I have a question that popped into my head thinking about how downtown's changed in the last ten years and the new announcement at Hemisfair -

What changed from the last boom to this one that led to more interest in low rises along the fringe?

During the last building cycle, we got 3 tall downtown residential options - Vistana, Vidorra, and Alteza. And one tower farther out - The Broadway. This time it's all been lower height options in Southtown and around Pearl.

I understand the condo finance rules changed, but Vistana has been full since it opened. Yet no new mid-rise apartments 'til Hemisfair.

Did construction costs go up? were those anamolies? ... Ideas?

I have no idea about the economics but if I were to design a strategy to urbanize the huge area of underutilized property in and around the center it would involve a whole lot of 4-5 story mixed use and other infill. Not to discount the idea of mid rise but it is far easier to cover a lot of ground and begin to give people the feeling of choice without a car. I would take 4 square blocks of 4-5 story mixed use over a Vistana, and certainly over the other cheap condo projects. If it is a policy objective to expedite infill development whether low or midrise, it would make sense that the subsidies and fee waivers continue to be based on unit count rather than density.