SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   City Compilations (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=87)
-   -   SAN DIEGO | Boom Rundown, Vol. 2 (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=126473)

SDfan Feb 6, 2015 1:31 AM

What is it with cities and carnival rides these days??

nezbn22 Feb 6, 2015 4:44 PM

I know we're not all football fans, so pardon the analogy. But I feel like these carnival proposals are the equivalent of scouting talented wide receivers when you don't have a quarterback or an offensive line (i.e. Matt Millen running the Lions). How about the Port finish the rest of the North Embarcadero Visionary Plan first (they still haven't finished Phase 1 even though they had their "Grand Opening" months ago)? Build your foundation, and then you can worry about the luxury items (or cheap sideshows, depending on how you feel about them). But without a solid foundation, it's just whipped cream on sh*t.

Bertrice Feb 7, 2015 2:51 AM

Here's another proposal. I like this one the best

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/B9NGqZjCUAAK5fK.jpg

Bertrice Feb 7, 2015 5:30 PM

That cory briggs is at it again
http://www.10news.com/news/court-of-...oadway-complex

http://media.10news.com/photo/2015/0....0_640_480.jpg

SDCAL Feb 7, 2015 6:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nezbn22 (Post 6904243)
I know we're not all football fans, so pardon the analogy. But I feel like these carnival proposals are the equivalent of scouting talented wide receivers when you don't have a quarterback or an offensive line (i.e. Matt Millen running the Lions). How about the Port finish the rest of the North Embarcadero Visionary Plan first (they still haven't finished Phase 1 even though they had their "Grand Opening" months ago)? Build your foundation, and then you can worry about the luxury items (or cheap sideshows, depending on how you feel about them). But without a solid foundation, it's just whipped cream on sh*t.

Well worded, I totally agree. And, I feel the same way about the IDEA District people. I think they were the ones with the idiotic Ferris wheel idea. They seem to be everywhere giving input, proposing things, talking about how great the future will be, yet their first major project remains a fenced-off parcel of dirt and outhouses surrounded by a homeless camp. Maybe they should concentrate on getting their continually delayed IDEA1 project built and THEN worry about these other things.

SDCAL Feb 7, 2015 6:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bertrice (Post 6905422)

I don't even know where to begin with this one. I think both Briggs and the project he's fighting are terrible. This one seems cursed, and I think they should go back to the drawing board.

First, tell me what's wrong with the first paragraphs of the article:
-------------------
SAN DIEGO - New concerns were raised Thursday about whether a proposed downtown development could be a potential terrorist target.

A plan is being proposed to upgrade the Navy Broadway complex headquarters into an ultra-modern, 16-acre complex that includes hotels, offices and restaurants.

The Pacific Gateway project has been on hold for almost two decades, but the issue was back in court Thursday.
--------------------
How can they call this development "ultra-modern" and then admit the plans are 20 years old?

This is the most valuable undeveloped waterfront property on the west coast. Do we really want to waste it on some blah plan on nondescript high rises designed 20 years ago?

Now about Briggs: terrorism target!?!?!? Where the hell did that come from? I thought his beef was environmental. They managed to re-build a tall, iconic tower on the site of ground zero in NYC, but SD can't have a few non-descript stubby towers on our waterfront because of a terrorist threat? Maybe the point is because it would hold the navy headquarters? Even so, it seems like Briggs is throwing everything including the kitchen sink at this thing to get it delayed indefinitely.

Maybe some of these visionaries putting out ideas for useless and ugly circus rides could come up with some dynamic, creative, iconic alternatives to navy Broadway complex to at least get the community thinking about the potential of the site and about what could go there should this current proposal not move forward.

dtell04 Feb 7, 2015 7:11 PM

Now about Briggs: terrorism target!?!?!? Where the hell did that come from? I thought his beef was environmental. They managed to re-build a tall, iconic tower on the site of ground zero in NYC, but SD can't have a few non-descript stubby towers on our waterfront because of a terrorist threat? Maybe the point is because it would hold the navy headquarters? Even so, it seems like Briggs is throwing everything including the kitchen sink at this thing to get it delayed indefinitely.

Kind of McCarthy-esq......He has no decency, at long last. I wonder who he really works for.

spoonman Feb 7, 2015 7:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dtell04 (Post 6905543)
I wonder who he really works for.

Exactly. He must be paid by the group that has been trying to block this project all along Briggs is basically a well funded mercenary of development projects.

Leo the Dog Feb 8, 2015 3:17 PM

Don't even know where to start with Cory Briggs.

Why build anything anywhere...it could technically be a target and might cause property damage to surrounding properties...

This is why people absolutely hate lawyers.

mello Feb 9, 2015 2:10 AM

Someone should do a tally of the net economic loss Cory Briggs has caused San Diego County. Lost wages, constracts, suppliers, etc. probably over 2 billion dollars by now.

aerogt3 Feb 10, 2015 8:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dtell04 (Post 6905543)

Kind of McCarthy-esq......He has no decency, at long last. I wonder who he really works for.

Here's your answer. The CEQA clearly needs to be re-written.

Quote:

For years, Briggs has heard complaints that he doesn’t have any real clients and just creates these nonprofits to shake down developers. In court, Briggs often is asked to prove he represents an actual person. He does – but it doesn’t always go smoothly.

In the Murrieta Target case, a judge ordered Briggs to make a member of the nonprofit, Murrietans for Smart Growth, available for a deposition. He produced its president, a retired minister and affordable housing advocate named Richard Lawrence. But Lawrence lives in San Diego. The judge said Briggs needed an actual Murrietan. He put forward Felicia Munoz-Grisham, a grocery store worker.

Lawrence testified that he didn’t know the name or address of anyone from Murrieta that was part of the group even though he was its president, according to newspaper accounts. Munoz-Grisham said she was a founding member of the group, but didn’t know anyone else in it.

Soon after Munoz-Grisham’s deposition, though, the case settled. Briggs had done enough to show he had a client.

No judge, Briggs said, has ever tossed one of his lawsuits because he failed to produce a person who had an interest in a case.

Even so, questions about who he actually represents persist. Briggs’ cousin, an accountant named Karin Langwasser, serves as treasurer for many of the nonprofits Briggs has sued from. Briggs said she volunteers her time.

The website for the Inland Oversight Committee, a nonprofit from which Briggs frequently sues in San Bernardino County, posts Briggs’ law office as its contact address. The website lists someone named Anthony Kim as the organization’s legal adviser. Kim is an attorney in Briggs’ office. The website also names Ian Trowbridge, a San Diegan and a Briggs ally, as the group’s chairman. Trowbridge died more than a year ago. Since Trowbridge’s death, Briggs has sued at least nine times on the group’s behalf.

And records connect Lawrence, the San Diegan who was president of the Murrieta group, to more than a half dozen of the nonprofits. One of those groups is based in Blythe, a city on the Arizona border that’s more than 200 miles from San Diego.
http://voiceofsandiego.org/2014/05/2...kes-his-money/

nezbn22 Feb 10, 2015 4:35 PM

If you guys want to hear it from the horse's mouth, you can listen to or watch the oral arguments in front of the 9th Circuit Court of Appeals.

http://www.ca9.uscourts.gov/media/

Scroll down to February 5th, and you'll find San Diego Navy Broadway v. DOD et al...

spoonman Feb 10, 2015 5:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nezbn22 (Post 6909045)
If you guys want to hear it from the horse's mouth, you can listen to or watch the oral arguments in front of the 9th Circuit Court of Appeals.

http://www.ca9.uscourts.gov/media/

Scroll down to February 5th, and you'll find San Diego Navy Broadway v. DOD et al...

Listening to parts of the podcast, I couldn't quite understand the conclusion of the hearing. Was this thrown out of court?

nezbn22 Feb 10, 2015 6:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spoonman (Post 6909132)
Listening to parts of the podcast, I couldn't quite understand the conclusion of the hearing. Was this thrown out of court?

I don't think they've ruled on it yet. The podcast just allows you to hear the arguments presented to the court and the judges comments/questions.

nezbn22 Feb 10, 2015 6:52 PM

Just checked the Court's FAQ page, and they have the following info on timing:

BRIEFING/HEARING PROCESS

17. How long does it take from the time of the notice of appeal until oral argument?

For a civil appeal, approximately 12-20 months from the notice of appeal date. If briefing isn't delayed, approximately 9-12 months from completion of briefing.

For a criminal appeal, approximately 4-5 months after briefing is complete.

18. How long does it take from the time of argument to the time of decision?

The Court has no time limit, but most cases are decided within 3 months to a year

nezbn22 Feb 10, 2015 6:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nezbn22 (Post 6909259)
Just checked the Court's FAQ page, and they have the following info on timing:

BRIEFING/HEARING PROCESS

17. How long does it take from the time of the notice of appeal until oral argument?

For a civil appeal, approximately 12-20 months from the notice of appeal date. If briefing isn't delayed, approximately 9-12 months from completion of briefing.

For a criminal appeal, approximately 4-5 months after briefing is complete.

18. How long does it take from the time of argument to the time of decision?

The Court has no time limit, but most cases are decided within 3 months to a year

From what I understand, Briggs' lawsuit is now past the oral arguments phase. The Coastal Commission's lawsuit, however, was just filed this past summer. So, it could take some time before that's resolved...

PadreHomer Feb 11, 2015 4:54 AM

Pretty sure that if they got approval to move forward with NBC that they wouldn't just roll with the 20 year old plans.

SDCAL Feb 11, 2015 5:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PadreHomer (Post 6910195)
Pretty sure that if they got approval to move forward with NBC that they wouldn't just roll with the 20 year old plans.

How does that work legally? If they get approval then make major changes, it opens them up to new lawsuits. I seriously think it would be quicker to scrap it, hire a few firms to design something new then have a process where residents in collaboration with city officials choose the winning bid. I still think doing that would be quicker than getting the current NBC plans moving.

The 20 year old plans are what are being litigated. Any change to those will most certainly be subject to more suing by Mr. Briggs.

nezbn22 Feb 12, 2015 8:32 PM

Civic San Diego just uploaded their latest Downtown Project Status Log:

http://civicsd.com/images/stories/do...ember_2014.pdf

spoonman Feb 12, 2015 9:34 PM

Looks like there is a lot going on in University City. The following photo was taken from the webcam on the Wells Fargo building. There are some projects that are common knowledge, as well as some possible new ones. Does anyone have any knowledge of these "new" projects??

http://earthcam.com/clients/irvineco...ter/?cam=pano1

http://i1378.photobucket.com/albums/...ps4moxepdo.jpg