SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   Cancelled Project Threads Archive (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=654)
-   -   CHICAGO | 680 North Rush | 752 FT / 229 M | 64 FLOORS | NEVER BUILT (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=90749)

Steely Dan Nov 3, 2005 9:49 PM

CHICAGO | 680 North Rush | 752 FT / 229 M | 64 FLOORS | NEVER BUILT

yet another 700+ foot proposal for the windy city:

Quote:

Originally Posted by BVictor1
Guys and girls, I have some fantastic news.

Also, I just got an email from LR Development, and the original height of 65 East Huron is back on track. The building will be 64 stories and 720'. I will have a rendering to post tomorrow.

Here's a part of the email that I received:

Butler,

Your guess regarding the height for the Huron-Rush project is correct. The building would be back at its previously approved height of 720', approximately 64 occupied floors. Just so you can get an idea how long it takes for something like this to develop, we were working on the expanded building when we met over the summer. The update in the paper this morning is the item I hinted at during our discussion when I said that we might have a way to get the height back in the building. I have attached a rendering of the view of the building from the west.

As for the tower at Illinois and Lake Shore Drive, we wouldn't be working on it as hard as we are if we didn't think that there was a good chance that it would be built. Obviously, there is still a lot of work to do on the development of the design of the building and the necessary approvals, but we are confident. I don't have any images to send you at this time, but maybe in the near future.

ENJOY:):):)

http://img459.imageshack.us/img459/3...nranch1mv5.jpg

ain't she a beaut?

spyguy Nov 3, 2005 9:53 PM

Well, it has been proposed for a long time. But it looks to be more a reality now that Canyon Ranch signed on.

colemonkee Nov 3, 2005 10:03 PM

I really wish they would have kept the hole intact, but it's still a fine looking building, and a great addition to the Chicago skyline.

trvlr70 Nov 3, 2005 10:03 PM

Don't you think it would be better to post the correct rendering? I thought the architects 86'ed the opening near the top. But, regardless, she's a beauty.

Steely Dan Nov 3, 2005 10:05 PM

^ uhhh, i did post the correct rendering dude, it's the same one that victor just got from the developer minutes ago.

Marvel 33 Nov 3, 2005 10:05 PM

Wow, that's great! 720' is the same height of One Museum Park in the Central Station development. I always loved the design of this building, simple but very unique and sleek.

I can't get over all the great news we're getting for Chicago!

trvlr70 Nov 3, 2005 10:05 PM

Is the building perfectly elliptical or is the west side angular?

spyguy Nov 3, 2005 10:08 PM

Let's hope it is completely round, but that's a question I've wondered too.

Jaroslaw Nov 3, 2005 10:18 PM

It's good... what's with the apparently blank white wall on the right, though? "Textured" concrete? Probably the parking garage...

spyguy Nov 3, 2005 10:22 PM

It's been all the renderings so far, if I remember correctly. Except this time it has this weird yellow front side.

Jonovision Nov 4, 2005 12:01 AM

That's a really nice tower. Chicago is doing great!

TransitEngr Nov 4, 2005 12:48 AM

The KeyHole reminds me of a skyscraper in Dallas that stores its automatic window washing machine inside the keyhole... hidden away from view. Granted... that skyscraper in Dallas is hideous. I wonder if the developers will do the same thing here.

Steely Dan Nov 4, 2005 12:50 AM

^ well, the "key-hole" feature has now been plugged, as evidenced by the rendering at the top of the page, and given that this looks like a flat-roofed building, i would imagine that any window washing equipment will simply be kept up there.

Norsider Nov 4, 2005 1:09 AM

"I don't have any images to send you at this time, but maybe in the near future."

Steely, are you sure BVic got that picture from the developer?

Steely Dan Nov 4, 2005 1:12 AM

^ yes. the part of victor's post you quoted was about the beitler telecom tower, not 65 east huron.

spyguy Nov 4, 2005 1:14 AM

So is 500 LSD just...gone? If we're going to lose that we deserve to at least see a good rendering of what we're [potentially] losing.

HK Chicago Nov 4, 2005 1:16 AM

Quote:

It's good... what's with the apparently blank white wall on the right, though? "Textured" concrete? Probably the parking garage...
They've definitely changed that part. I really liked the original parking structure as it left the elliptical form intact at ground level for much of the tower. It looks like the updated base looks very similar so it may even be for the better.

One major improvement is the extra "floor" at the crown... while it won't be as striking as the 2 "floors" on 111 S Wacker, I really like this detail as it gives the tower a proper crown w/o breaking the vertical pattern.

Stephenapolis Nov 4, 2005 1:25 AM

That is a nice sharp looking tower.

Jaroslaw Nov 4, 2005 1:29 AM

Given that it's a quarter-block lot, I wonder if the square thing isn't a car elevator? Although that feature was blamed for slow sales at the Riverbend...

jcchii Nov 4, 2005 4:27 AM

almost any version of that design would be a breath of fresh air in that area