SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum//index.php)
-   St. John's (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum//forumdisplay.php?f=700)
-   -   [St. John's] Retail Thread (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum//showthread.php?t=198935)

Townie709 Oct 4, 2012 7:13 PM

I don't know why they would be so selective, I'm sure they would do great in smaller cities all over north america. They don't even have to be full sized stores to do well. Oh well, picky bunch I guess xD

Arrakis Oct 5, 2012 4:16 PM

Here is a link to a Nova Scotia thread regarding the Ikea that opened there in the 1970's. Apparently it was the first Ikea in Canada. But it closed due to operational costs and market size. So if Nova Scotia can't support an Ikea, I am pretty sure St. John's won't either.

http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show....php?p=5442392

IronMan Oct 6, 2012 12:32 AM

Any word on a Wal-Mart Superstore for St.John's?

Townie709 Oct 6, 2012 2:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IronMan (Post 5857244)
Any word on a Wal-Mart Superstore for St.John's?

Nope, not that I have heard anyway

Arrakis Oct 12, 2012 4:53 PM

RBC expands in St. John's with new retail concept store. Check the link for full story.

http://www.stockhouse.com/news/usrel...aspx?n=8638265

jeddy1989 Oct 18, 2012 1:39 AM

Melanie Lyne is opening soon in the Avalon mall



Quote:

ABOUT MELANIE LYNE

Opening Soon

Where fashion savvy makes business sense. And where exceptional style advice makes a statement.
Work it out in fabulous fitting, perfectly tailored career wear - or make an entrance with unique dresses in a variety of lengths, styles, and colors for any occasion on your social calendar. Melanie Lyne offers high-in-quality and rich-in-texture fashions from size 2 – 16, to modernize any woman’s wardrobe.
http://www.shopavalonmall.com/store/melanie-lyne/

Also here's an article from the scope about the Power Centres:

On the Grow
http://thescope.ca/wp-content/upload...10/citymap.jpg

Quote:

The St. John’s Metro has more people with more money to spend on more cars, in more restaurants, and on other stuff than ever before. And businesses are scrambling to get in on the action.
Condos in the recently renamed and soon-to-be revamped NL Telephone building on Duckworth Street, Mix, are now on sale—$244K gets you a 480 sq-foot one bedroom.
Restaurant impresarios CARA are opening two more Swiss Chalets and a high-end Milestones. They also own Montanas.
Rumours persist of Banana Republic and H&M’s arrival. Both companies won’t confirm or deny anything, but GAP owns both Banana Republic and a building in the Harvey Power Centre.
The Kelsey Power Centre off Kenmount is being expanded. A new Kent opened there in July. Rona opened a while ago as the first tenant in the Harvey Power Centre, behind the Cabot Power Centre (aka Stavanger Drive). Across the road, dirt has began to be moved for the Field Power Centre a new Empire Theatre will be the anchor tenant there. Work is also beginning on Southlands Power Centre. Early plans include an even bigger movie theatre and an even bigger hardware store.
http://thescope.ca/storefront/on-the-grow

One of the commentors either has inside info or operates the rumor mill... either way they were correct with a few of the now known developments

From the comments:
Quote:

Q Says:
October 4th, 2012 at 9:45 am

Milestones and Harvey’s to be in the lot adjacent to Empire Theatres. As well as two more proposed restaurants, but they might end up as retail space.

In the Harvey Power Center on Aberdeen(Behind Dominion and Reitmans: Stokes, Banana Republic, Golf Town, and Jones New York and Dollarama. As well as six additional retail spaces.
Quote:

Q Says:
October 5th, 2012 at 11:53 am
In between Golf Town and Banana Republic there is going to be a Wicker Emporium as well...

...Also, swiss Chalet and an RBC on Kelsey in the area between staples and wok box....

...A TD Bank adjacent to A Buck or Two, just off of Aberdeen in the Walmart lot (Currently fenced in)

A CIBC in the lot of the former Mazda used dealership on Stavanger.
we`ll see

jeddy1989 Oct 18, 2012 2:15 AM

Also take notice to the Theatre lotted out in Southlands power Centre plan is larger than the one in Field power centre

Southlands:45,000 sq feet

Field: 36,000 sq feet

Therefore if they go by a screens per squarefoot ratio that would make 10 for southlands (purely speculating)

add the screens in the city together .. that would be
mount pearl square: 6
Avalon Mall: 12
Field: 8
Southlands:10

Total: 36 ;) quite the increase

statbass Oct 18, 2012 11:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeddy1989 (Post 5870501)
Also take notice to the Theatre lotted out in Southlands power Centre plan is larger than the one in Field power centre

Southlands:45,000 sq feet

Field: 36,000 sq feet

Therefore if they go by a screens per squarefoot ratio that would make 10 for southlands (purely speculating)

add the screens in the city together .. that would be
mount pearl square: 6
Avalon Mall: 12
Field: 8
Southlands:10

Total: 36 ;) quite the increase

Thanks for the info Jeddy, great researching skills! I always said that St. John's could support more than 1.5 movie theatres (I consider Mount Pearl Square to be 0.5 theatre). It's nice to see more screens coming to town.

I also learned that the hat retailer 'Lids' will be setting up shop at the old Davanna's jewelry location in the Avalon Mall. I wonder if Jump+ is ready to open soon?

statbass Oct 18, 2012 11:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by statbass (Post 5870797)
I wonder if Jump+ is ready to open soon?

I was just looking at the Kijiji website and noticed Jump+ just posted a position for store manager. Here is the link:

http://stjohns.kijiji.ca/c-jobs-sale...AdIdZ422352277

So it seems that it might be another little while before the store is opened, but I can't see it taking too long to hire. I also noticed on Moncton's retail thread that Jump+ will be opening there in a couple of days.

jeddy1989 Oct 18, 2012 12:22 PM

:previous: I have always said that we needed at least two new movie theatres lol, Ironically apparently empire theatres thought so too :P

I spoke to someone from the office of Jump Plus this summer while they started the hiring process and they said that they will be opening in the Fall (so assumingly soon)

On another note if Milestones opens here (assuming they are not opening in other atlantic canadian cities at the same time) it will be the only one in Atlantic Canada :) actually east of Ontario and Jones New York will only be the second in Atlantic Canada

moving on up

SignalHillHiker Oct 18, 2012 12:33 PM

It makes sense. Our economy is doing exceptionally well and we have among the highest average wages in Canada. In addition, we have a diaspora across the mainland, many of whom bring their wealth of disposable income back to Newfoundland to spend.

It'll all fade away eventually, of course, but we might as well enjoy a little boost in stature while we can. :D

jeddy1989 Oct 18, 2012 12:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SignalHillHiker (Post 5870822)
It makes sense. Our economy is doing exceptionally well and we have among the highest average wages in Canada. In addition, we have a diaspora across the mainland, many of whom bring their wealth of disposable income back to Newfoundland to spend.

It'll all fade away eventually, of course, but we might as well enjoy a little boost in stature while we can. :D

If it fades it wont be any time soon lol

I think the ball has just started to roll ;) attracting retail and things like that will probably pick up when other retailers see that their comptetition is doing well in our market .. and when other chains see that it is viable (who may have been nervous at first or didnt even have us on the radar) ;)
(I tend to be positive about things anyway .. well it's hard not to lol and with honestly so many huge projects for the future in the works and just being taked about .. I see it continuing) then eventually when a city reaches a certain size it feeds off of itself economically, which sustains all this stuff (I think Halifax benifits grately from being a Hub for the maritimes and hopefully in a few years we can start to threaten that hehehe or at least share in it for the whole region) of course halifax's gratest advantage has been it's location but look at the hugeeee economic advantages we have :D

SignalHillHiker Oct 18, 2012 12:53 PM

Oh I'm sure we've many good years ahead as well.

And, yes, Halifax's location on the continental mainland is a great benefit. It will never make economic sense to choose St. John's over Halifax for things like shipping, etc. We'll always be limited, in that regard, to the demand of our domestic market.

But a lot of the government spending that really could be anywhere - government services, military, etc. - could return to St. John's. I read a column somewhere that the Harper's government closures in and transfers from this province had basically returned Newfoundland to its former status as a colony - but not of Ottawa, of Halifax.

That's what we have to fight to get back, and more, and where we really do have to battle Halifax somewhat.

jeddy1989 Oct 18, 2012 12:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SignalHillHiker (Post 5870836)
Oh I'm sure we've many good years ahead as well.

And, yes, Halifax's location on the continental mainland is a great benefit. It will never make economic sense to choose St. John's over Halifax for things like shipping, etc. We'll always be limited, in that regard, to the demand of our domestic market.

But a lot of the government spending that really could be anywhere - government services, military, etc. - could return to St. John's. I read a column somewhere that the Harper's government closures in and transfers from this province had basically returned Newfoundland to its former status as a colony - but not of Ottawa, of Halifax.

That's what we have to fight to get back, and more, and where we really do have to battle Halifax somewhat.

yup and in the meantime, making the city more attractive to live with all the current developments and ammenities like more retail etc will help in positioning ourselves as a viable major eastern city.. with the mega projects we really could bite ourselves off a big peice of the pie .. like a previous article I posted stated .. NL has 48% of the major projects in atlantic canada... that leaves 52% to divide among 3 other provinces .. I think we could be situated (especially after the airport and office space inventory is increased) to have more headquarters locate here based on the economy etc.

statbass Oct 18, 2012 1:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeddy1989 (Post 5870839)
yup and in the meantime, making the city more attractive to live with all the current developments and ammenities like more retail etc will help in positioning ourselves as a viable major eastern city.. with the mega projects we really could bite ourselves off a big peice of the pie .. like a previous article I posted stated .. NL has 48% of the major projects in atlantic canada... that leaves 52% to divide among 3 other provinces .. I think we could be situated (especially after the airport and office space inventory is increased) to have more headquarters locate here based on the economy etc.

Agreed, I think this is a pivotal point for the economy here in the region. We can really push through here and establish ourselves as a city that can sustain itself through smart growth, development and diversification. Obviously there will be bumps along the way - but we have to expect that. In addition, I think the city's decision to restructure business tax will help with business growth in the area. I'll leave it at that because I don't want to steer too far away from the focus of this thread.

The party is just starting, so lets keep it rolling. Here's to many more good years ahead!

jeddy1989 Oct 18, 2012 2:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by statbass (Post 5870864)
Agreed, I think this is a pivotal point for the economy here in the region. We can really push through here and establish ourselves as a city that can sustain itself through smart growth, development and diversification. Obviously there will be bumps along the way - but we have to expect that. In addition, I think the city's decision to restructure business tax will help with business growth in the area. I'll leave it at that because I don't want to steer too far away from the focus of this thread.

The party is just starting, so lets keep it rolling. Here's to many more good years ahead!

:cheers:

statbass Oct 18, 2012 9:53 PM

I read an interesting article in The telegram today that looked at current retail and restaurants in St. John's. A poll was conducted by MQO to gauge what people thought about amenities in the city. Only 40% gave St. John's an 8 or higher (out of 10) compared to Moncton at 70% Halifax at 53%. These results are on par with my opinion on shopping and restaurants in the city. I think there's been a big improvement in the past 8-10 years but we still have a ways to go.

An owner of a downtown shop commented that the city needs to build a better shopping district downtown, something I completely agree with. I like the fact we have many locally owned stores and restaurants since that helps the local economy much more than multinational chains. But I feel we need a better balance between locally owned and chain stores/restaurants in the downtown. I'm not talking 50/50, may be 75/25, but right now it's heavily weighted on the local side. Bringing some more chains to the downtown could create healthy competition - always good for the consumer. Red lobster anyone????? :tup:

In addition, I think the city is missing out by not having some sort of downtown shopping centre; this would greatly aid in revitalizing downtown.

Townie709 Oct 18, 2012 10:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by statbass (Post 5871457)
I think the city is missing out by not having some sort of downtown shopping centre; this would greatly aid in revitalizing downtown.

I strongly agree with this! I believe that is what Atlantic Place was designed for. It was supposed to be three or four floors of retail; like a downtown mall of sorts. But, that plan never came into fruition as we only got the water street market. I don't know why it was changed to mostly office space. Atlantic place would be the best place to put a downtown shopping center due to it's central location and parking garage alongside it. I can't think of any other possible locations. The interior of Atlantic Place could be easily re-formatted into a shopping mall with it's central escalators.

After justice moves out of Atlantic Place, They should kick out some tenants and designate at least 3 or 4 floors to retail, and have a few floors of the parking garage designated for the mall. (By this time MetroPark and 351 will be completed so there will should be extra long term parking spots available in those buildings. The kicked out tenants will make need for another office building in the west end! :haha:

It would be great for tourists who want to do a bit of shopping, but don't want to leave the downtown core, and would be exceptionally convenient for people who will live in the downtown condo developments (MIX, Henry Bell, Star of the Sea, ect)

With a nice exterior renovation and a nice bit of retail space, Atlantic Place could become the Eaton Center of St. John's! A downtown mall would be great for everybody. (except for maybe those paying for it!) It would increase traffic in the Downtown which would also be good for the local stores along water street!

We can dream!

(I've always thought that some electronic billboards would be nice on the water street side of Atlantic Place, make it our mini Times Square :haha: )

Ayreonaut Oct 18, 2012 11:24 PM

Is there a good non-chain seafood restaurant in town? (besides all the fish & chip places) I'd rather see that than a Red Lobster.

One place where St. John's certainly shines for a small city is non-chain restaurants downtown. Definitely more than similarly-sized Kelowna, and possibly on par with Victoria, which is a fair bit larger.

As for downtown shopping, the only things I've left the inner-city for in the past two years (shopping-wise) are electronics and school supplies. I'd love to be able to get everything downtown though!

Arrakis Oct 19, 2012 1:08 AM

Altantic Place was indeed a 3 Story Shopping mall when it opened in the mid 70's. It had a 3-floor Metropoliton (aka The Friendly Met) anchor tenant, A Readmore book store chain, Thrifty's, Tip Top, Various Women's clothing stores, A large Dairy Queen, Strand Restaurant and Lounge, and a bunch of other retail chains. Eventually they all closed due to lack of business. Everyone still shopped at Mall and the Village which opened not long after Atlantic Place. So the owners sought out other viable tenants which ended up being mostly for corporate office space.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Townie709 (Post 5871475)
I strongly agree with this! I believe that is what Atlantic Place was designed for. It was supposed to be three or four floors of retail; like a downtown mall of sorts. But, that plan never came into fruition as we only got the water street market. I don't know why it was changed to mostly office space. Atlantic place would be the best place to put a downtown shopping center due to it's central location and parking garage alongside it. I can't think of any other possible locations. The interior of Atlantic Place could be easily re-formatted into a shopping mall with it's central escalators.

After justice moves out of Atlantic Place, They should kick out some tenants and designate at least 3 or 4 floors to retail, and have a few floors of the parking garage designated for the mall. (By this time MetroPark and 351 will be completed so there will should be extra long term parking spots available in those buildings. The kicked out tenants will make need for another office building in the west end! :haha:

It would be great for tourists who want to do a bit of shopping, but don't want to leave the downtown core, and would be exceptionally convenient for people who will live in the downtown condo developments (MIX, Henry Bell, Star of the Sea, ect)

With a nice exterior renovation and a nice bit of retail space, Atlantic Place could become the Eaton Center of St. John's! A downtown mall would be great for everybody. (except for maybe those paying for it!) It would increase traffic in the Downtown which would also be good for the local stores along water street!

We can dream!

(I've always thought that some electronic billboards would be nice on the water street side of Atlantic Place, make it our mini Times Square :haha: )



All times are GMT. The time now is 5:03 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.