SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/index.php)
-   San Antonio (http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/forumdisplay.php?f=447)
-   -   SAN ANTONIO | Canopy by Hilton Hotel | 247 FT | 24 FLOORS │ U/C (http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=215214)

sirkingwilliam Jan 17, 2015 2:13 AM

SAN ANTONIO | Canopy by Hilton Hotel | 247 FT | 24 FLOORS │ U/C
 

UrbanTrance Jan 17, 2015 2:43 AM

I wonder what brand it will be.

arkitekte Jan 17, 2015 3:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alice93 (Post 6878353)
I wonder what brand it will be.

Something boutique probably.

This is a handsome design. This along with the Witte Building proposal can do a lot for the 100 block of E Commerce. I'm looking forward to seeing how this develops.

jaga185 Jan 17, 2015 6:59 AM

This is an awesome design. Hopefully it is approved by the HDRC. We could use from freshness with the older architecture we have. It also looks as though they want to put a restaurant at the bottom with chairs lining the street. Sweet!

trillhippy_210 Jan 17, 2015 8:14 AM

I so hope this goes through, it looks amazing & I believe it'd spur more development downtown.

sirkingwilliam Jan 17, 2015 8:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trillhippy_210 (Post 6878573)
I so hope this goes through, it looks amazing & I believe it'd spur more development downtown.

I agree.

There are three surface parking lots to the east of this site. Two small lots and one large lot. Those three need to be developed. This would encourage that. Though I'm hearing the large parking lot may be part of one of the proposals for the new CPS headquarters. Hope my source is right ad I hope CPS picks it. We'll see.

trillhippy_210 Jan 17, 2015 8:23 AM

It looks like its across from the Aztec theater in the renderings too! The location's great!

sirkingwilliam Jan 17, 2015 8:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trillhippy_210 (Post 6878576)
It looks like its across from the Aztec theater in the renderings too! The location's great!

Yes. The hotel would replace the Fish Market building at the nw corner of St. Mary's and Commerce St.

The VERY busy bus stop adjacent to the Fish Market building will be relocated.

arkitekte Jan 17, 2015 10:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sirkingwilliam (Post 6878577)
Yes. The hotel would replace the Fish Market building at the nw corner of St. Mary's and Commerce St.

The VERY busy bus stop adjacent to the Fish Market building will be relocated.

It will only replace the Sullivan building at the corner. The Fishmarket building is to stay. The bus stop won't be relocated.

Texan101 Jan 17, 2015 11:05 AM

Good location, and really liking the design. Hopefully this gets approved.

fordman2800 Jan 17, 2015 3:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sirkingwilliam (Post 6878574)
I agree.

There are three surface parking lots to the east of this site. Two small lots and one large lot. Those three need to be developed. This would encourage that. Though I'm hearing the large parking lot may be part of one of the proposals for the new CPS headquarters. Hope my source is right ad I hope CPS picks it. We'll see.

Any word on an actual height proposal on the CPS building? I heard that
they suppose to be announcing something this month....:shrug:

sirkingwilliam Jan 17, 2015 8:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by arkitekte (Post 6878602)
It will only replace the Sullivan building at the corner. The Fishmarket building is to stay. The bus stop won't be relocated.

Technically, we are both correct. Ben Olivo goes into detail here about the name of both buildings being Fish Market.

You are correct about the bus stop. I remembered this nearly two year old article incorrectly. As the article states, the bus stop will reduce the number of routes it serves from 12 to 3. I do appreciate the correction.

Restless 1 Jan 18, 2015 5:56 AM

Ambitious design. I like it.

BTW, been hearing some bad news about CPS HQ. May not move. Hope it's wrong.

wwmiv Jan 18, 2015 6:56 AM

This looks very similar to a proposal from a few years back that I cannot quite remember the name of.

JACKinBeantown Jan 18, 2015 7:44 AM

Definitely an improvement over what is there, and it incorporates the old whitish stone building with the three dark windows into the base.

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=78214...28.48,,0,-1.65

cole world11 Jan 18, 2015 10:44 PM

nice design. could this possibly the W hotel that was proposed a few years back?

sirkingwilliam Jan 18, 2015 10:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Restless 1 (Post 6879477)
Ambitious design. I like it.

BTW, been hearing some bad news about CPS HQ. May not move. Hope it's wrong.

Hearing from where?

Bigfoot Yancey Jan 18, 2015 11:21 PM

This is a great design! I am really liking the potential of that restaurant space and it's got a good connection to the river. Will be exciting to see some more cranes downtown.

Please don't screw this up HDRC

JACKinBeantown Jan 19, 2015 3:13 AM

It seems to have a bit of a modern taste of the Hilton Palacio del Rio with its stackable rooms, with a twist. Not the same obviously, but with modular rooms stacked at different angles with some glass and other design elements thrown in.

KevinFromTexas Jan 19, 2015 5:12 AM

This looks nice. Is there any media coverage on it saying how many rooms it'll have?

arkitekte Jan 19, 2015 7:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KevinFromTexas (Post 6880366)
This looks nice. Is there any media coverage on it saying how many rooms it'll have?

Not a peep from the media yet, I guess we'll see something tomorrow.

197 rooms.

Restless 1 Jan 19, 2015 2:22 PM

My wife works there
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by sirkingwilliam (Post 6880055)
Hearing from where?

Apparently officially, staying put is an option, but probably not a likely one.

sirkingwilliam Jan 19, 2015 3:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Restless 1 (Post 6880523)
Apparently officially, staying put is an option, but probably not a likely one.

Yes, I know this. Has been known since the CEO decided to put out bids. But you said you heard news that they would stay at their current site, which surprised me because I hadn't heard that and everything I've told is they're really happy with the bids they got in.

Are you saying you misinterpreted the details about there being an option to stay put as them saying they were staying put?

arkitekte Jan 19, 2015 5:12 PM

Article from MySA.

http://blog.mysanantonio.com/downtow...ar/#29859101=0

Restless 1 Jan 19, 2015 6:38 PM

All I was saying was
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by sirkingwilliam (Post 6880562)
Yes, I know this. Has been known since the CEO decided to put out bids. But you said you heard news that they would stay at their current site, which surprised me because I hadn't heard that and everything I've told is they're really happy with the bids they got in.

Are you saying you misinterpreted the details about there being an option to stay put as them saying they were staying put?

That word from management to the employees is that a move is not certain.

Possibly parroting the official stance given the public. With 20 or so proposals to look at, I would think they could find something they like.

UrbanTrance Jan 19, 2015 8:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cole world11 (Post 6880043)
nice design. could this possibly the W hotel that was proposed a few years back?

I don't know. Different location and different design.

http://groupstructural.com/ssp_direc...g/Picture2.jpg





The last Fish Market proposed hotel was intended to be boutique, so this one might follow suit. If so, I wonder if this will spur a W Hotel development.

sirkingwilliam Jan 19, 2015 9:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alice93 (Post 6881020)
I don't know. Different location and different design.

http://groupstructural.com/ssp_direc...g/Picture2.jpg





The last Fish Market proposed hotel was intended to be boutique, so this one might follow suit. If so, I wonder if this will spur a W Hotel development.

Different owner last time.

Also, as stated in the agenda for the building and reiterated by Ben Olivo today, if the HDRC denies the demo then Chris Hill would have no choice but to add density aka height to the development.

They'll more likely approve demo'ing the building as they have already once approved demo'ing the same building. However, if they did deny it, that might not be such a bad thing if that means a taller building.

arkitekte Jan 19, 2015 9:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sirkingwilliam (Post 6881058)
Also, as stated in the agenda for the building and reiterated by Ben Olivo today, if the HDRC denies the demo then Chris Hill would have no choice but to add density aka height to the development.

It's not viable if he doesn't add density, which he's proposing now. If the demolition of the Sullivan Bank building is denied, then he would be back to the drawing board of how he could develop an economically viable project without the demo of the Sullivan Building. His quote is taken out of context, or somewhat misunderstood.

Quote:

They'll more likely approve demo'ing the building as they have already once approved demo'ing the same building. However, if they did deny it, that might not be such a bad thing if that means a taller building.
That wouldn't mean a taller building. This entire development (18 floors or taller) is dependent on the demolition of the Sullivan Bank Building.

sirkingwilliam Jan 19, 2015 11:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by arkitekte (Post 6881115)
It's not viable if he doesn't add density, which he's proposing now. If the demolition of the Sullivan Bank building is denied, then he would be back to the drawing board of how he could develop an economically viable project without the demo of the Sullivan Building. His quote is taken out of context, or somewhat misunderstood.



That wouldn't mean a taller building. This entire development (18 floors or taller) is dependent on the demolition of the Sullivan Bank Building.

Yeah, that quote seemed to be taken out of context. Well, regardless, the demo will more than likely be approved, paving way for this awesome building to get built.

This building will change and improve the design standard/quality for downtown.

I'm quite excited!

sirkingwilliam Jan 19, 2015 11:34 PM

I do wish it had a residential component.

arkitekte Jan 19, 2015 11:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sirkingwilliam (Post 6881227)
Yeah, that quote seemed to be taken out of context. Well, regardless, the demo will more than likely be approved, paving way for this awesome building to get built.

This building will change and improve the design standard/quality for downtown.

I'm quite excited!

I agree. I don't think that this will be much of an issue with HDRC. This tower, IMO will appear to add more density to the skyline than what it really will, at least from certain angles. I'm excited about this too.

Spoiler Jan 20, 2015 3:40 AM

If it's just another hotel, then I would prefer it not get built.

arkitekte Jan 20, 2015 4:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sirkingwilliam (Post 6881242)
I do wish it had a residential component.

Same here. It's just too hard to sell residential units at a property like that...no onsite parking is the biggest problem. What a developer could offer at a unique location like this, a developer could offer more amenities and onsite parking somewhere near the Pearl or along Broadway for much cheaper, which we're seeing more of. A hand full of residential units wouldn't be too difficult in theory, but then the actual management and design side gets a little cloudy. You start having to answer questions on the management of those residential units vs the hotel rooms, will the residential units share elevators/ other amenities with hotel guests, etc.

There are other particular properties in the CBD that a prime for residential components. Whether we see something on these lots is another story.

sirkingwilliam Jan 20, 2015 5:45 AM

I made the gif below when the massing rendering came out for the new Frost HQ. I messed with it and added THE HOTEL development (blue building) to show its potential affect on the skyline.

This the skyline looking east from the UTSA campus. That is IH10 running north and south.


http://i.imgur.com/90MSB8H.gif
DISCLAIMER: THAT IS NOT THE EXACT PLACEMENT OF THE BUILDINGS IN THE SKYLINE BUT A CLOSE ENOUGH GUESS ON MY PART.

trillhippy_210 Jan 20, 2015 6:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sirkingwilliam (Post 6881606)
I made the gif below when the massing rendering came out for the new Frost HQ. I messed with it and added THE HOTEL development (blue building) to show its potential affect on the skyline.

This the skyline looking east from the UTSA campus. That is IH10 running north and south.


http://i.imgur.com/90MSB8H.gif
DISCLAIMER: THAT IS NOT THE EXACT PLACEMENT OF THE BUILDINGS IN THE SKYLINE BUT A CLOSE ENOUGH GUESS ON MY PART.

That frost building will drastically change the skyline!?

sirkingwilliam Jan 20, 2015 7:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trillhippy_210 (Post 6881668)
That frost building will drastically change the skyline!?

Yes, especially from this view.

The massing model in the renderings had the proposed tower at twice the height of the current Frost HQ.

The final height may be taller too. We'll just have to wait and seem.

Restless 1 Jan 20, 2015 1:19 PM

Nice job with the GIF
 
Can't wait to see what designs the Weston group comes out with for the Frost tower.

Even though the Hotel is shorter than the Drury, looks like some decent infill.

fordman2800 Jan 20, 2015 2:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sirkingwilliam (Post 6880055)
Hearing from where?

It was previously posted that CPS was going to make an announcement sometime this month.....I guess we'll just have to wait if it's good or bad news for the skyline of San Antonio.

sirkingwilliam Jan 21, 2015 11:02 PM

http://i.imgur.com/o0Y0sVc.jpg

Demo and design were just approved by the HDRC!

jaga185 Jan 21, 2015 11:03 PM

This is awesome news! I can't wait for a timeline of this project.

UrbanTrance Jan 21, 2015 11:19 PM

Yay can't wait to see this go up.

cole world11 Jan 22, 2015 12:30 AM

This is a nice building! It just makes me more curious as to who will run it.

arkitekte Jan 22, 2015 3:17 AM

I'm looking forward to seeing the final design. This is a very nice looking project.

trillhippy_210 Jan 22, 2015 8:59 PM

this project is now approved! This will spur dev. downtown. Excited!


http://therivardreport.com/esquire-o...sign-approved/

sirkingwilliam Jan 22, 2015 11:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trillhippy_210 (Post 6885624)
this project is now approved! This will spur dev. downtown. Excited!


http://therivardreport.com/esquire-o...sign-approved/

We're all excited about this development but you're posting day old news in multiple threads. It's unnecessary.

KevinFromTexas Jan 23, 2015 11:24 PM

San Antonio's business journal has some nice larger renderings of it:

http://www.bizjournals.com/sanantoni...=image_gallery

AwesomeSAView Jan 26, 2015 3:41 PM

Passed through the area where this hotel will be built and it is going to make a huge impact in aesthetics in the area. Hopefully, propelling more development in the area and downtown. :tup: to Chris Hill for believing in S.A.

STLtoSA Jan 26, 2015 6:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AwesomeSAView (Post 6889866)
Passed through the area where this hotel will be built and it is going to make a huge impact in aesthetics in the area. Hopefully, propelling more development in the area and downtown. :tup: to Chris Hill for believing in S.A.

Well I will have a good view of the construction progress..that is until I move into the former Frost Bank Building.

http://i222.photobucket.com/albums/d...JoskeCrane.jpg

The Model Jan 28, 2015 9:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alice93 (Post 6881020)
I don't know. Different location and different design.

http://groupstructural.com/ssp_direc...g/Picture2.jpg





The last Fish Market proposed hotel was intended to be boutique, so this one might follow suit. If so, I wonder if this will spur a W Hotel development.

Isn't this totally different, this is the W hotel and the site here is Martin Street and St. Mary's where today the old abandon high rise is sitting, NW corner from Greyhound Bus station. On the far left is the old Crown Plaza hotel that has it's name changed every year.

STLtoSA Jan 28, 2015 9:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Model (Post 6893462)
Isn't this totally different, this is the W hotel and the site here is Martin Street and St. Mary's where today the old abandon high rise is sitting, NW corner from Greyhound Bus station. On the far left is the old Crown Plaza hotel that has it's name changed every year.

Yes, the two developments (or rather proposed developments) are not related whatsoever.

This was the most recent proposal before this newly approved 18-story boutique hotel:
http://s.lnimg.com/photo/full/b1dc13...eeb71a5b30.jpg


All times are GMT. The time now is 10:24 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.