SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/index.php)
-   San Antonio (http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/forumdisplay.php?f=447)
-   -   SAN ANTONIO | Canopy by Hilton Hotel | 247 FT | 24 FLOORS │ U/C (http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=215214)

AwesomeSAView Dec 4, 2015 7:35 PM

Marginal??
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Spoiler (Post 7256734)
Marginal at best.


Note to Spoiler: Lake/Flato Architects is one of the top architect companies in the nation.

But YOU are entitled to your opinion! It's just a matter of GOOD taste, I guess.
And I for one, LOVE the design!!!

Spoiler Dec 5, 2015 3:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AwesomeSAView (Post 7258195)
Note to Spoiler: Lake/Flato Architects is one of the top architect companies in the nation.

But YOU are entitled to your opinion! It's just a matter of GOOD taste, I guess.
And I for one, LOVE the design!!!

Having the corner of the building closest to the intersection be nothing more than a glassed-in stairwell is not what I want to see in a downtown highrise. The way they're incorporating the old facade is clumsy and looks like what it is, an afterthought due to a bad compromise in the name of historic preservation. All the overhangs and canopies sticking out above doesn't change how that building relates to the street, and what street-level functions the building provides. It's just a matter of GOOD standards, I guess.

Don't worry everybody, as soon as I see something I like I'll let y'all know immediately!

arkitekte Dec 5, 2015 4:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AwesomeSAView (Post 7258195)
Note to Spoiler: Lake/Flato Architects is one of the top architect companies in the nation.

But YOU are entitled to your opinion! It's just a matter of GOOD taste, I guess.
And I for one, LOVE the design!!!

Lots of things that are "top" aren't good. They're not the only firm working on this either.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spoiler (Post 7258805)
Having the corner of the building closest to the intersection be nothing more than a glassed-in stairwell is not what I want to see in a downtown highrise. The way they're incorporating the old facade is clumsy and looks like what it is, an afterthought due to a bad compromise in the name of historic preservation. All the overhangs and canopies sticking out above doesn't change how that building relates to the street, and what street-level functions the building provides. It's just a matter of GOOD standards, I guess.

Don't worry everybody, as soon as I see something I like I'll let y'all know immediately!

I don't necessarily disagree with you on any of this. Much of this will change just as it's changed from the original, conceptual design. The street corner is a bit awkward and unattractive, but the Commerce facade won't stay the same.

babysal Feb 1, 2016 9:51 PM

Developers plan 24-story Hilton hotel downtown
By Richard Webner, Staff Writer Published 3:12 pm, Monday, February 1, 2016

Developers are proposing to tear down the Sullivan Building on Commerce Street and replace it with a 24-story Canopy by Hilton hotel.
The city Historic and Design Review Commission on Wednesday will decide whether to approve the hotel, which will include 197 rooms and will span 137,927 square feet, according to city documents.
In January of last year, the commission granted approval for an 18-story hotel on the property under the condition that the developer make changes to the design and come back for further approval.
The project would preserve the building at 155 East Commerce, known as the Dwyer Building and the Fishmarket Building.
rwebner@express-news.net

link to article:

http://www.mysanantonio.com/real-est...wn-6798924.php

jaga185 Feb 2, 2016 4:03 AM

According to updated renderings it's beige... yay... I hope those aren't real

sirkingwilliam Feb 2, 2016 10:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jaga185 (Post 7321518)
According to updated renderings it's beige... yay... I hope those aren't real

It's the same color and material as the realistic renderings on page 4.

jaga185 Feb 2, 2016 3:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sirkingwilliam (Post 7321704)
It's the same color and material as the realistic renderings on page 4.

Thank heavens.

babysal Feb 2, 2016 5:34 PM

Update - Developers plan “boutique” Hilton hotel downtown
 
The original plans, which were tentatively approved last year, called for an 18-story hotel. The latest design submitted to the historic commission shows 24 levels but only 20 will include hotel rooms and guest facilities, said developer Chris Hill. It has a cantilever section jutting out toward the River Walk and a pool on its roof.

The building is estimated to cost between $55 million and $60 million, Hill said.
By Richard Webner, Staff WriterFebruary 1, 2016
construction is set to begin within six months and last for about 20 months.

link to article:

http://www.expressnews.com/business/...el-6799509.php

JACKinBeantown Feb 3, 2016 1:15 AM

The height increase is nice, but I hope they get rid of that corner staircase. It's such a waste of ground-level opportunity. And every floor, for that matter.

STLtoSA Feb 4, 2016 3:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JACKinBeantown (Post 7322595)
The height increase is nice, but I hope they get rid of that corner staircase. It's such a waste of ground-level opportunity. And every floor, for that matter.

How so? Architecturally or space wise? Because "I believe" that fire code requires a staircase...so it being on the corner is not taking any space away from anything else.

jaga185 Feb 4, 2016 3:41 PM

I see what Jack is saying. The fact there is no life on that corner is kind of off putting. Maybe there will be some art or something drawing attention away from the fact there is nothing.

The Model Feb 4, 2016 4:02 PM

I think since most of this building is cantilevered that maybe this corner is only place for a staircase to go directly to street level. We will know more for sure once we can see floor plans of this building. Awesome on the additional floors added!!! It will almost be as tall as the Alamo National Bank/Drury Plaza Hotel!

arkitekte Feb 5, 2016 3:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Model (Post 7324407)
We will know more for sure once we can see floor plans of this building.

They've been public since last Friday.

The Model Feb 8, 2016 6:56 PM

http://static.panoramio.com/photos/o.../127894613.jpg

The Model Feb 8, 2016 7:03 PM

http://static.panoramio.com/photos/o.../127894847.jpg

KevinFromTexas Feb 8, 2016 9:26 PM

So it's going to replace that parking lot? I wonder if they'll protect those palm trees on the right of way. That's always been a neat scene in downtown walking down that sidewalk through those palms.

Spoiler Feb 8, 2016 10:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KevinFromTexas (Post 7328490)
So it's going to replace that parking lot? I wonder if they'll protect those palm trees on the right of way. That's always been a neat scene in downtown walking down that sidewalk through those palms.

No, it's replacing the small building behind the palm trees, whose St Mary's street side is facing us, with the front of the building facing Commerce and backing up to the river (it looks like two buildings since the river side is painted white).

Fireoutofclay Feb 11, 2016 3:30 AM

Proposed River Walk hotel tower gets HDRC approval — with strings attached

Katie Burke Reporter
San Antonio Business Journal
Feb 4, 2016, 1:13pm CST
http://www.bizjournals.com/sanantoni...-approval.html

Quote:

The city's Historic Design and Review Commission has given the proposed 24-story boutique hotel at N St. Mary's Street and E Commerce Street the green light. Well, at least everything above the second ground-level floor.

Citing design inconsistencies and concerns with the ground level of the River Walk-fronting site, HDRC granted conceptual approval to the Hilton-branded development, which will be spearheaded by the local developer and Crockett Urban Ventures Partner Chris Hill and Austin-based partner Merritt Development Group.

Fireoutofclay Feb 12, 2016 5:59 PM

Downtown ‘Boutique’ Hilton Hotel Reaches Higher, Gets Partial Approval

Iris Dimmick
Rivard Report
on 3 February, 2016 at 16:55
http://therivardreport.com/downtown-...-floor-design/

http://therivardreport.com/wp-conten...-walk-view.jpg

Quote:

The Historic and Design Review Commission granted partial approval for the bulk of the hotel developer’s presentation on Wednesday afternoon. Plans for the two-story historic building on the street level, the so-called “podium” of the hotel, and River Walk levels will need to come back for final approval.

The podium plans in question include the preservation and incorporation of the historic Alamo Fish Market building next to the Sullivan Bank building on Commerce Street. Before the HDRC approves the plans, commissioners must see clearly defined plans for the Alamo Fish Market’s facade and a historic flood wall on the River Walk.

The Model Feb 17, 2016 9:16 PM

http://static.panoramio.com/photos/o.../128135538.jpg

Another view that will be changing soon once construction begins!


All times are GMT. The time now is 5:10 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.