SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   Proposals (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=361)
-   -   PHILADELPHIA | Schuylkill Yards Future Phases | 1,095 - 375 FT | 70 - 28 FLOORS (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=221324)

Raymond LuxuryYacht Sep 11, 2017 3:09 PM

Shouldn't all these Amazon discussions fall under the "Metro" section? I keep seeing new messages for Schuylkill Yards thinking we have new updates for this project.

mcgrath618 Sep 11, 2017 3:26 PM

In a way, I'd argue that these are updates/discussion about the project. Amazon would most likely go here if anywhere if they came to Philly.

hammersklavier Sep 11, 2017 5:11 PM

I'd actually much prefer if the Amazon discussion moved to this thread, given that it's pretty much the only thing in town (or possibly anywhere in the country) that would fit their stated needs.

E: That was clearly a bad idea. Nvm.

christof Sep 11, 2017 11:10 PM

If there is any one company that would fit the bill for John Fry's vision of the Innovation Neighborhood / Schuylkill Yards / 30th Street Station, this is it.

So I can see Fry leading the charge here. Penn will be right there with him and Drexel. Brandywine would be the developer.

Wild Card would be Comcast. But Comcast with the new tower clearly wants to make a Philly the East Coast version of Silicon Valley. There was a story in the papers last year that talked about it. So I can see them pushing this.

The problem rests with the sacred cows special interests that control the power behind the scenes. An Amazon HQ here destroys their control of power. Why would they cut their throats when they don't have to in order to remain in power?

hammersklavier Sep 14, 2017 2:04 AM

As a reminder, this is a thread specifically for Schuylkill Yards and NO OTHER proposal.

If you wanna make it the Amazon thread v 2.0 don't be surprised to find yourselves taking little three-day holidays from this site.

jjv007 Sep 14, 2017 2:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hammersklavier (Post 7918546)
I'd actually much prefer if the Amazon discussion moved to this thread, given that it's pretty much the only thing in town (or possibly anywhere in the country) that would fit their stated needs.

Didn't you just say this?? ^^

Raymond LuxuryYacht Sep 14, 2017 3:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jjv007 (Post 7921714)
Didn't you just say this?? ^^

Doh!!

Khantilever Sep 14, 2017 5:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Urbanthusiat (Post 7917031)
Are there any other proposed developments in other cities that seems like a more perfect option than Schuykill Yards? I can't think of any...

I wandered over here from the Chicago threads to scope out the competition. I'm afraid I have to tell you similar sentiments are being expressed there, with the main contender(s) being the Old Main Post Office site and the adjacent Union Station redevelopment. I'll spare the details to avoid sending this thread off topic.

That said, I'll admit that Philly is the one city keeping me up at night, and Schuykill Yards is the reason. The connectivity to the airport, NYC and D.C. is insane. It seems Amazon could achieve a campus where their employees can live and work, whereas Chicago's best offerings are more commercial-oriented.

So I hope that if it's not Chicago that wins it's at least you guys!

summersm343 Sep 14, 2017 5:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Khantilever (Post 7922412)
I wandered over here from the Chicago threads to scope out the competition. I'm afraid I have to tell you similar sentiments are being expressed there, with the main contender(s) being the Old Main Post Office site and the adjacent Union Station redevelopment. I'll spare the details to avoid sending this thread off topic.

That said, I'll admit that Philly is the one city keeping me up at night, and Schuykill Yards is the reason. The connectivity to the airport, NYC and D.C. is insane. It seems Amazon could achieve a campus where their employees can live and work, whereas Chicago's best offerings are more commercial-oriented.

Thank you!

Boku Sep 14, 2017 7:10 PM

When does the work on Drexel Square and the Bulletin building begin?

christof Sep 14, 2017 7:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Khantilever (Post 7922412)

Was just in Chicago last month. Don't worry about the Union Station redevelopment, there is simply not enough space to build what Amazon wants.

Old Main Post Office could be a contender. But then again, Illinois and Chicago are both flat broke from public pensions, so I can't see them being able to provide the tax incentives to lure Amazon.

SEFTA Sep 14, 2017 9:15 PM

I see something like Amazon would actually span the 2 developments, further knitting them together as a larger develop-able site. Initial buildings being built on the SY's side and future development on adjacent sites on the 30th St Development side. Perhaps build out the infrastructure as needed. Block by block. Both developments would be put on the fast track and Amazon would probably want a larger role in shaping both. How great would that be?

Milksteak Sep 14, 2017 9:42 PM

Were the SY renderings designed with the maximum possible square footage for each building? Or could Amazon come in and drive them to build higher if there isn't enough available office space in the original design?

Urbanthusiat Sep 14, 2017 10:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Milksteak (Post 7922765)
Were the SY renderings designed with the maximum possible square footage for each building? Or could Amazon come in and drive them to build higher if there isn't enough available office space in the original design?

I don't think there is any reason to believe the buildings couldn't change or be made taller. They could also cut the residential component, for example, and build more office space. I have to imagine any pitch involving Schuylkill Yards will be combined with the 30th Street Station master plan and railyards redevelopment, so I'm not sure it matters that much. Brandywine is more than capable of finding a way to make enough space for Amazon.

hammersklavier Sep 17, 2017 11:14 AM

All right, that's it. If you people wanna keep making it a Philly vs. Chicago discussion, Imma hafta lock the thread.

...also now I can see why Chicago development threads keep getting locked.

el don Sep 19, 2017 8:23 PM

Minor Update

Construction on the park is due to start by the end of 2017

jsbrook Sep 19, 2017 8:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by el don (Post 7927266)

What park?

Urbanthusiat Sep 19, 2017 8:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jsbrook (Post 7927285)
What park?

In front of the Bulliten building

Boku Sep 19, 2017 8:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by el don (Post 7927266)

Well, I think that was always the plan. That's not very specific though.

SEFTA Sep 19, 2017 10:59 PM

Is there any explanation as to why the plan went from this single building on the north of the park
https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4438/...7cb7cca5_m.jpg

to this double tower here? I find it strange they added that over the tracks for no reason.
https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4366/...83915466c3.jpg
:shrug:

christof Sep 19, 2017 11:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SEFTA (Post 7927453)
Is there any explanation as to why the plan went from this single building on the north of the park
https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4438/...7cb7cca5_m.jpgInnovation_before-after by jackftl, on Flickr

to this double tower here? I find it strange they added that over the tracks for no reason.
https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4366/...83915466c3.jpg3_Drexel_Civic_Room_720 addition by jackftl, on Flickr

One will be residence, other office?

GtownFriend Sep 20, 2017 2:50 AM

:shrug:[/QUOTE]

The more recent one includes the Cira2 site.

GtownFriend Sep 20, 2017 2:51 AM

Quote:

The more recent on includes the Cira2 site?

700 Level Sep 20, 2017 12:19 PM

Conspiracy Theory (a good one!)

The conspiracy theory: Did you notice that Brandywine seemed to overpay a few weeks back for that missing parcel in it Schuylkill Yards portfolio? And this was done right before the Amazon request for proposal? Perhaps they knew the proposal was coming and so also knew they would have to pay even more for this property once the RFP was public? So they rushed to get the deal done? So maybe they had inside knowledge of the RFP in advance, and perhaps even in discussions with Amazon?

skyscraper Sep 20, 2017 12:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 700 Level (Post 7927797)
The conspiracy theory: Did you notice that Brandywine seemed to overpay a few weeks back for that missing parcel in it Schuylkill Yards portfolio? And this was done right before the Amazon request for proposal? Perhaps they knew the proposal was coming and so also knew they would have to pay even more for this property once the RFP was public? So they rushed to get the deal done? So maybe they had inside knowledge of the RFP in advance, and perhaps even in discussions with Amazon?

That's not conspiracy, that's just having good intel.

summersm343 Sep 20, 2017 2:22 PM

Quote:

Makes 100% sense to me. This could very likely be the case.

summersm343 Sep 20, 2017 2:24 PM

Quote:

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4438/...7cb7cca5_m.jpg

There's no guarantee that second rendering is authentic. That second tower added there is over the rail tracks, and is the Cira II site. This may be an alternative plan if they get their hands on the Cira II site. However, Amtrak owns this land, and sent out an RFP to developers for the site. So there is no guarantee Brandywine/Drexel will get their hands on it.

SEFTA Sep 20, 2017 2:42 PM

I'm looking for a reason to read something very positive into this move.
:yes:

JohnIII Sep 20, 2017 2:48 PM

Quote:

True.

Affirmative

christof Sep 20, 2017 3:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by summersm343 (Post 7927883)
Makes 100% sense to me. This could very likely be the case.

I figured they had something big in the offing when they made the deal for that piece of land. The price paid did raise my eyebrows.

So here is the better question. How much did Amazon say privately to cities before announcing this HQ2 competition. I highly doubt that Amazon decided in August that it was time for a second location and lets throw it out to see what bites. They had to do their homework beforehand.

And if they did their homework, how much talking was done behind the scenes?

Personally, I think 2HQ is heading north (first guess being Ottawa). If it stays in the US, Philly is right there to take it with a serious proposal.

City Wide Sep 20, 2017 3:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by summersm343 (Post 7927887)
There's no guarantee that second rendering is authentic. That second tower added there is over the rail tracks, and is the Cira II site. This may be an alternative plan if they get their hands on the Cira II site. However, Amtrak owns this land, and sent out an RFP to developers for the site. So there is no guarantee Brandywine/Drexel will get their hands on it.

One not so small detail, in that it effects the possible time line to development, what Amtrak requested was a Request for Qualifications (RFQ) which is one step away and months removed from a RFP (request for proposal)

But I've got a strong feeling that the Amazon bribery war has caused all sorts of plans and time lines to be reconsidered; what I wouldn't give to be a fly on a few office walls these days. If Philly and Drexel doesn't get Amazon it will be interesting to see if all the positive noise that SY's has been getting changes what Drexel is thinking is possible or probable for their development.

Has anyone actually figured out if Drexel and Brandywine controls all the land that is being considered for SY's?

Londonee Sep 20, 2017 3:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by christof (Post 7927942)
So here is the better question. How much did Amazon say privately to cities before announcing this HQ2 competition. I highly doubt that Amazon decided in August that it was time for a second location and lets throw it out to see what bites. They had to do their homework beforehand.

And if they did their homework, how much talking was done behind the scenes?

The news from Chicago was that Rahm was courting them for a while, so who knows.

According to Kenney, in the interview he gave to Bloomberg yesterday, he had ZERO prior knowledge to the RFP announcement and said he learned about it through the news just like everybody else. Maybe take that with a grain of salt, though I'm not quite sure what he'd have to gain by hiding that fact?

christof Sep 20, 2017 3:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by City Wide (Post 7927960)
One not so small detail, in that it effects the possible time line to development, what Amtrak requested was a Request for Qualifications (RFQ) which is one step away and months removed from a RFP (request for proposal)

But I've got a strong feeling that the Amazon bribery war has caused all sorts of plans and time lines to be reconsidered; what I wouldn't give to be a fly on a few office walls these days. If Philly and Drexel doesn't get Amazon it will be interesting to see if all the positive noise that SY's has been getting changes what Drexel is thinking is possible or probable for their development.

Has anyone actually figured out if Drexel and Brandywine controls all the land that is being considered for SY's?

Drexel owns the Bulletin Building land and the parking lots on the north side of Arch Street. They also own the parking lots in Chestnut. Only land that wasn't in control was the piece of land on Market that Brandywine purchased recently.

summersm343 Sep 20, 2017 3:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by City Wide (Post 7927960)

Yes. Between Drexel and Brandywine, they now own all of the land.

Knight Hospitaller Sep 20, 2017 3:46 PM

If Amazon was sending out feelers before the announcement, I doubt Kenney would've been the man contacted. I'm sure they've done advance homework and the folks contacted would've been Brandywine and Liberty. Alternatively, if anyone would be attuned to "rumblings" in the market, it would be Brandywine and Liberty.

PhilliesPhan Sep 20, 2017 8:36 PM

Quote:

I absolutely believe this! They definitely had some inside intel, possibly even being approached by someone in the industry. I believe that the perfect time to purchase stock in Brandywine (NYSE: BDN) is now, as I have a ton of confidence that there will be a big announcement soon. Looking at the spot rate of BDN stock, it is underpriced compared to what it will shoot up to if an announcement is made!

skyscraper Sep 24, 2017 4:36 PM

It sucks that this thread has been hijacked by all the Amazon speculation. But as long as it has, here is one stray thought:
Since Pittsburgh is also putting in a bid, if there are any state incentives to be offered, can we assume that both cities will be able to offer the same state incentives? Is Harrisburg going to play favorites, or will they just offer the same tax cuts / rebates or whatever, to land Amazon in either city?
The one difference I could see would be the amount of infrastructure investment, as both cities have different levels that would need to be built and / or improved. Then again, we might have the advantage in that area because there is already a public / private partnership for much of that at SY. Don't know about Pittsburgh.

christof Sep 25, 2017 6:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by skyscraper (Post 7931826)
It sucks that this thread has been hijacked by all the Amazon speculation. But as long as it has, here is one stray thought:
Since Pittsburgh is also putting in a bid, if there are any state incentives to be offered, can we assume that both cities will be able to offer the same state incentives? Is Harrisburg going to play favorites, or will they just offer the same tax cuts / rebates or whatever, to land Amazon in either city?
The one difference I could see would be the amount of infrastructure investment, as both cities have different levels that would need to be built and / or improved. Then again, we might have the advantage in that area because there is already a public / private partnership for much of that at SY. Don't know about Pittsburgh.

30th Street area is already designated at KOZ? So I don't know how much more the state can give, except extending the time to X for KOZ.

1487 Sep 28, 2017 7:53 PM

park permit issued this month.

Boku Sep 28, 2017 8:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1487 (Post 7936392)

Where/how do you find these?

1487 Sep 28, 2017 8:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Boku (Post 7936409)
Where/how do you find these?

www.phila.gov/maps

L&I uploads permit data within days. All kinds of stuff can be found here.

domodeez Sep 28, 2017 9:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1487 (Post 7936392)

THANK GOD. I had been waiting on this news for a while. I do wonder, though, whether the HQ2 contest will mean any changes in this public space. I'd imagine if Philly were successful (we should know one way or the other by next year), then Amazon would want some hand in designing the central green of its campus.

1487 Sep 29, 2017 12:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by domodeez (Post 7936475)
THANK GOD. I had been waiting on this news for a while. I do wonder, though, whether the HQ2 contest will mean any changes in this public space. I'd imagine if Philly were successful (we should know one way or the other by next year), then Amazon would want some hand in designing the central green of its campus.

I'd say know. It would be foolish of the developer to postpone this park based on what Amazon MIGHT do. The park is needed for other reasons, it's been long enough already.

Londonee Oct 11, 2017 4:48 PM

Is the square/park behind 30th street station that's been promised to be under construction any day now on hold due to the Amazon HQ2 stuff?

1487 Oct 11, 2017 6:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Londonee (Post 7948962)
Is the square/park behind 30th street station that's been promised to be under construction any day now on hold due to the Amazon HQ2 stuff?

no

Mappy Oct 12, 2017 4:24 PM

Future News Headline: Philadelphia submits it's bid for Amazon HQ2

https://i.stack.imgur.com/XO2jA.gif

Boku Oct 12, 2017 4:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mappy (Post 7950141)
Future News Headline: Philadelphia submits it's bid for Amazon HQ2

https://i.stack.imgur.com/XO2jA.gif

Not sure the people in charge of the bid are half as clever as the Weasley twins either :(

Boku Oct 12, 2017 6:52 PM

KOZs proposed, renewed to lure Amazon to University City

http://planphilly.com/articles/2017/...niversity-city

Quote:

The twelve sites that already designated for potential KOZ status largely overlap with the Schuylkill Yards project and the Market Street spine of University City’s office district. The seven new sites that the city wants to give KOZ status would address a few spots on the map where such tax breaks are not already available.

“These new KOZ applications would fill the hole in the donut for University City,” said Sylvie Howard, the Commerce Department’s chief of staff. “All of the [older] KOZs we are extending haven’t been utilized yet, no one has benefited from them. If we extend them, the 10-year window would be triggered when tenants are found.”

iheartphilly Oct 16, 2017 6:26 PM

PA in search of AMZN HQ2:

https://www.pa.gov/guides/amazon-in-pa/

iheartphilly Oct 19, 2017 12:23 AM

I cannot read the article behind the paywall. But, it seems from the title that PA is all in on the offer for AMZN HQ2.

Pa. tax break offer for Amazon to top $1 billion, Philly-area business group head says

http://www.philly.com/philly/busines...-20171018.html