SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   Manitoba & Saskatchewan (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=129)
-   -   Manitoba Provincial Election | 2016 (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=220615)

Cyro Jan 17, 2016 5:14 PM

Manitoba Provincial Election | 2016

Manitoba's next provincial election is set for April 19, 2016.

Why was it changed from October 16.2015? Overlap with the Federal Election.

With that said, Who will you vote for, or not, and why?

Cyro Jan 17, 2016 6:08 PM

PC. Similiar to what happened in Alberta with their selction of the NDP. Just fed up and tired at this point.

RepomanYWG Jan 17, 2016 6:44 PM

I generally vote PC. Hopefully Cyro is right. It's time for a change.

cheswick Jan 17, 2016 7:34 PM

Latest poll has the liberals, who's presence at the MB provincial level is almost non-existent, ahead of the NDP. So this far out it sure looks like people have grown tired of selinger.

Jan 7
PC 44
Liberals 27
NDP 23

Liberals received 7% of the popular vote in 2011.

biguc Jan 18, 2016 7:39 PM

Backed the PCs in 2011 because it was clear to me then that Selinger had to go. Unfortunately, Pallister is equally unsavory. That leaves me in the difficult position of backing the Liberals, in spite of their stupid rent freeze plan, which has already had a catastrophic effect on building owners investing in building improvements. At least they're strong finally, and could ride in on Trudeau's red wave.

And I will say, some of the other ideas they're floating, like mincome, are really good.

drew Jan 18, 2016 7:45 PM

^ I agree, that rent-freeze thing is bad policy.

That being said, no to the NDP for me, and I really don't want to vote PC (don't like Pallister, and so far they are just running on the "we are not NDP" platform) - so likely Liberal for me - without any expectations of my vote meaning anything.

CoryB Jan 18, 2016 8:16 PM

1. Poll numbers don't necessarily reflect the outcome on a riding by riding basis. For example, that poll has the Liberals at 27% but in some ridings the Liberals have yet to name a candidate. It also fails to account for a popular candidate from one party.

2. It is too early for me to make a call. The Liberals seem to be heading for a trainwreck moment where they kill their own campaign. The mincome, while on the surface sounds good could be it. If you make the same if you work 30 hours or collect welfare this could backfire. I would much rather see a system that every hour of paid employment you work means your better off than only welfare, basically through a top up to a set level. This would give able people some motivation to be contributing.

kent_eh Jan 19, 2016 3:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by biguc (Post 7303597)
clear to me then that Selinger had to go. Unfortunately, Pallister is equally unsavory. That leaves me in the difficult position of backing the Liberals,

That's pretty much my thoughts on the current election as well.

I'm a bit torn. The province has been doing relatively well overall (not stellar, but not failing either), but the NDP's eating itself from the inside has seriously soured me on them.

And the Liberals still look pretty invisible.

But, I cannot bring myself to vote for anything that Pallister is involved in.

Cyro Jan 19, 2016 4:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by drew (Post 7303609)
(don't like Pallister, and so far they are just running on the "we are not NDP" platform) - so likely Liberal for me

Quote:

Backed the PCs in 2011 because it was clear to me then that Selinger had to go. Unfortunately, Pallister is equally unsavory.

Quote:

Originally Posted by kent_eh (Post 7304227)
I cannot bring myself to vote for anything that Pallister is involved in.

Pallisters involvement as the PC's leader here seems to be a common denominator in many of the responses. Can't really disagree. It may push many over to the Liberal camp.

VANRIDERFAN Jan 19, 2016 4:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cyro (Post 7304664)
Pallisters involvement as the PC's leader here seems to be a common denominator in many of the responses. Can't really disagree. It may push many over to the Liberal camp.

I know that everyone in my family will be voting PC.

Cyro Jan 19, 2016 5:05 PM

^ My vote won't change either, but with that said, it is on peoples minds and may sway many away from them. What happens when the name "Selinger" appears in a discussion? It effects people in a curious way..

cheswick Feb 5, 2016 5:15 PM

Liberal leader announced she wants to direct infrastructure money towards the arts.

jmt18325 Feb 5, 2016 6:09 PM

So she just lost my vote.

esquire Feb 5, 2016 7:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jmt18325 (Post 7325881)
So she just lost my vote.

Why? Cultural facilities are infrastructure too.

jmt18325 Feb 5, 2016 7:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by esquire (Post 7325993)
Why? Cultural facilities are infrastructure too.

I suppose it depends what we're talking about. I was being dramatic. I'd have to know more.

jmt18325 Feb 5, 2016 7:31 PM

I'm not sure that she can win her riding anymore though.

esquire Feb 5, 2016 7:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jmt18325 (Post 7326006)
I'm not sure that she can win her riding anymore though.

You think so? If I were in her shoes I'd much rather take on her current NDP competitor as opposed to Jennifer Howard.

jmt18325 Feb 5, 2016 8:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by esquire (Post 7326020)
You think so? If I were in her shoes I'd much rather take on her current NDP competitor as opposed to Jennifer Howard.

You think so? Wab Kinew is pretty famous now.

esquire Feb 5, 2016 9:03 PM

By all accounts Jennifer Howard was legit, Kinew is an unknown quantity to some extent. It's a pretty left leaning area but I think with Howard out of the race, it'll be close in Fort Rouge.

rrskylar Feb 6, 2016 6:13 AM

Quote:

Backed the PCs in 2011 because it was clear to me then that Selinger had to go. Unfortunately, Pallister is equally unsavory. That leaves me in the difficult position of backing the Liberals, in spite of their stupid rent freeze plan, which has already had a catastrophic effect on building owners investing in building improvements. At least they're strong finally, and could ride in on Trudeau's red wave.

And I will say, some of the other ideas they're floating, like mincome, are really good.

Theoretically this should be an easy election for the PC's to win except that Pallister is the leader, a guy with a likability factor of 0 and comes across a bit as the tin man.

I think the liberals will surprise people in spite of their leader.