SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   San Antonio (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=447)
-   -   SAN ANTONIO | Urban Core Development Thread (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=129468)

Complex01 Apr 18, 2007 12:52 AM

HA, if that is not an Early Fiesta treat i dont know what is...

Oh wait i do....
  • A nice glass of cold beer
  • Crawford getting Suspended

I want to see a picture of the crane...

:cheers:

starvinggryphon Apr 18, 2007 4:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Complex01 (Post 2774607)
[*]Crawford getting Suspended

TRUE THAT!!! Saw the crane today being assembled. Can't Wait! Also, the carnival opens today and there is a lovely feeling downtown like everybody's waiting for sunset to start drinking and get this Fiesta started. There were a gang of margarita stands setting up in Market Square and everybody from UTSA was just watching from afar just waiting helplessly. :slob:

KevinFromTexas Apr 19, 2007 2:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ryan5021 (Post 2774266)
FYI, there is now a crane at the Marriott Courtyard site.

Sweet! Can anyone tell me if The Vistana has started construction yet? I saw one of Texan101's pics of it, showing the site, but is the asphalt gone at the site? Have they begun digging yet?

And I'm wondering if we should start a San Antonio Update thread in this section of the forum like the one for Austin. Perhaps this thread can be it? Whaddya think?

You guys could come on and report construction progress with a single post like "such and such building is up to 41st floor" ;), instead of creating a thread about it or mentioning it in another thread which may not be directly an update kind of thread. It would keep people more up to date on what's going on in San Antonio. I've sort of missed some of it myself because of that.

sirkingwilliam Apr 19, 2007 4:51 AM

I think this would be a perfect thread for a "San Antonio Update" stickered at the top. I'm hoping to get my camera fixed so I can venture out and snap the city.

KevinFromTexas Apr 19, 2007 5:04 AM

Alright, I've made it a sticky topic and changed the title to San Antonio Update.

sirkingwilliam Apr 19, 2007 5:24 AM

Good stuff!

Can there also be updates on suburban developments or is it strictly downtown projects?

KevinFromTexas Apr 19, 2007 6:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sirkingwilliam (Post 2778062)
Good stuff!

Can there also be updates on suburban developments or is it strictly downtown projects?

Whatever you like, but stay on topic of development related stuff. This includes highrises, lowrises, retail, transportation, (roads, rails, and airport), and sports stadiums, but keep the "sports talk" out of this thread. Anything that doesn't pertain to San Antonio's development, even population figures or anything else should be posted in its own seperate thread. This thread should be about updated news and facts about ongoing construction projects, and construction images and announcements of new projects. You can still make a post about a new project in its own thread if you like, as well as here and in the city compilation thread. This thread should stay on topic of construction news so as to keep people posted of what's going on.

You can check the Austin Update thread to see what should be posted here.

greenbelt Apr 19, 2007 12:22 PM

Nice picks, we love San Antonio!

sirkingwilliam Apr 19, 2007 3:26 PM

I'm not trying to start anything by asking this, but why was the position changed? The SA Update thread was stickered at the top now it is not.

sakyle04 Apr 19, 2007 3:39 PM

:previous:

Quote:

I'm not trying to start anything by asking this, but why was the position changed? The SA Update thread was stickered at the top now it is not.
It is arranged geographically.

If Houston gets a Sticky thread it will be anchored to the right side of the page and the same would be true for El Paso and the left side of the page. :yes:

KevinFromTexas Apr 19, 2007 4:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sirkingwilliam (Post 2778743)

The topics will move above each other as they get replied to. So if the Austin Update is below the San Antonio one and someone replies to it, it'll move to the top, and if the San Antonio Update is below the Austin one and someone replies to it, it'll be on top afterwards. It's just how the forum program works. Try it and see.

starvinggryphon Apr 19, 2007 5:02 PM

Hey Kevin, the Vistana is certainly under construction now. The asphalt was removed long ago and forgive my layman's terms but cavities have been drilled, the rebar tubes have been inserted and the concrete is being poured as we speak. Also an awesome new rendering was erected on the corner of Commerce and Santa Rosa.

KevinFromTexas Apr 19, 2007 6:24 PM

^ Thanks!

sirkingwilliam Apr 19, 2007 6:27 PM

Thanks!

starvinggryphon Apr 19, 2007 7:58 PM

Has anyone visited the Vidorra site lately?

elmariachi Apr 19, 2007 9:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by starvinggryphon (Post 2779657)
Has anyone visited the Vidorra site lately?

I passed by a couple days ago but there still isn't much going on. They have started digging a little though.

kornbread Apr 20, 2007 5:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by elmariachi (Post 2779822)
I passed by a couple days ago but there still isn't much going on. They have started digging a little though.

Maybe they're going to plant some tomatoes:shrug:

sakyle04 Apr 22, 2007 1:51 AM

Quote:

Maybe they're going to plant some tomatoes
Ha.

I never would have guessed that there would be a 20-story condo East of 37, so I think that's why I have so much patience...but could this process take any longer?

Maybe we are just used to seeing hotels fly up (recently Hyatt and soon Courtyard on St Marys) and we don't understand the delays of financing and then building 20 stories of individually sold "homes".

sirkingwilliam Apr 22, 2007 2:19 AM

Maybe the long wait has to do with whatever they're having to dig into? My own theory, lol.

kornbread Apr 23, 2007 3:21 AM

For them to supposedly break ground in December and there not be any kind of activity at the site for 4 months, it sure seems like the groundbreaking was for appearances only. For all we know, they may still be trying to reach 60% (going on one year since they started selling the units).

We were in town this past weekend and the Broadway is all boarded up in a way that seems like they are trying to hide THEIR lack of activity.

I think there is demand for downtown condos, but I'm not so sure people are buying into high-rise living. I mean, if the market was really hot we should have already started to see something rise.

It could be that best thing going on downtown are the apartment projects. These could give people a try before you buy feel for downtown and kickstart some development in about 5 years.