SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/index.php)
-   Never Built & Visionary Projects (http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/forumdisplay.php?f=342)
-   -   CHICAGO | Conservatory Tower | 82 FLOORS (http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=156242)

Chicagoguy Aug 19, 2008 1:55 AM

CHICAGO | Conservatory Tower | 82 FLOORS
 
There wasn't a tread for this one yet so I figured it would be nice to start one since there is a tread for it on skyscrapercity!

Conservatory Tower aspires to set a precedent for environmentally sensitive tall buildings in Chicago’s urban context. The 1.1 million sf project is composed of two distinct yet complementary components, a conservatory or enclosed winter garden, and an 80 story hotel and condo tower rising above.

The 28,000 sf winter garden is enclosed by a high efficiency glazing system, protecting a lush landscape and occupants from inclement weather, noise and air pollution, while optimizing natural air ventilation. The tower’s thin profile makes full use of natural light, while minimizing heat gain during summer months and shadow effect on neighboring spaces. Natural light can reach the interior spaces, reducing energy consumption year round. Topping the tower is a Sky Garden containing a number of condominium amenities and an enclosed garden.

http://www.scb.com/images/project/41...x34_Page_1.jpg

http://www.scb.com/images/project/41...se1_Page_2.jpg
Photos from SCB's website

WonderlandPark Aug 19, 2008 2:06 AM

Is there a street address for this? Looks easily 900' and I love the bottom greenhouse "blob."

Chicagoguy Aug 19, 2008 2:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WonderlandPark (Post 3743749)
Is there a street address for this? Looks easily 900' and I love the bottom greenhouse "blob."

Not sure the exact address but I heard it might be behind 200 North Dearborn and would replace that food court there. And yes I heard that somewhere around 900 is what they expect it to be although no definite height has been released.

scalziand Aug 19, 2008 3:50 PM

Nice to see this one finally get its own thread.

Chicagoguy Aug 19, 2008 3:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scalziand (Post 3744661)
Nice to see this one finally get its own thread.

Yea I thought it was about time for it!

SlatsGrobnik Aug 19, 2008 8:48 PM

Developer? Architect? Budget? Timeline to start/complete? What hotel? How many rooms? How many condos?

denizen467 Aug 19, 2008 11:13 PM

^ What, is that all you could come up with? I could think of about a 100 questions. :koko:

Especially since one of them was already answered in the first post. By the way, do you know what ever happened to Slata Grobnik? She disappeared from these forums maybe a year and a half ago, right around the time you appeared.

NYC2ATX Aug 19, 2008 11:40 PM

Already my new favorite proposal in Chicago.

Alliance Aug 20, 2008 12:22 AM

It'd be interesting, from a historical perspective, if this building ended being up about the same height as Citigroup in New York. Conservatory is certianly the nephew of it.

scalziand Aug 20, 2008 3:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alliance (Post 3745862)
It'd be interesting, from a historical perspective, if this building ended being up about the same height as Citigroup in New York. Conservatory is certianly the nephew of it.

A building on stilts with a slanted roof? Why not!:D

This doesn't look like it will require the groundbreaking engineering that Citigroup needed though.:shrug:

shaberko Aug 20, 2008 2:36 PM

I guess this one will be nicknamed "the vacuum cleaner" if it's built. :)

Rilestone75 Aug 20, 2008 5:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shaberko (Post 3747008)
I guess this one will be nicknamed "the vacuum cleaner" if it's built. :)

Let's just call it the ORECK for short...;)

Plokoon11 Aug 20, 2008 5:49 PM

This tower looks very un safe.

CHAPINM1 Aug 20, 2008 5:58 PM

Despite the differences between the two cities, Chicago and New York DO share quite a bit of traits between a few different buidlings. By no means is this bad, but I'm just noting that both are great and there are more simularities than one would think. For instance the following buildings can easily compare and are similar in a lot of ways:

Aqua (Chicago) - Beekman Place (New York) Difference in height by roughly 40 feet and by 5 - 10 floors, the concepts are similar in addition to the wavy/striking designs.

John Hancock Center (Chicago) - Girasole (New York) Despite the major difference in floors, the heights of both differ by only 127 feet and the concepts for both are similar.

Conservatory Tower (Chicago) - Citigroup (New York) Major difference in floors, yet environmentaly friendly concepts are there plus the slanted roofs! The heights for both may be in the same neighborhood as well.

Plus both cities are currently constructing buildings concurrently that will be the tallest once completed, something that both cities did once before.

Chicagoguy Aug 20, 2008 6:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CHAPINM1 (Post 3747552)
Despite the differences between the two cities, Chicago and New York DO share quite a bit of traits between a few different buidlings. By no means is this bad, but I'm just noting that both are great and there are more simularities than one would think. For instance the following buildings can easily compare and are similar in a lot of ways:

Aqua (Chicago) - Beekman Place (New York)
John Hancock Center (Chicago) - Girasole (New York)
Conservatory Tower (Chicago) - Citigroup (New York)

Plus both cities are currently constructing buildings concurrently that will be the tallest once completed, something that both cities did once before.

I agree with you I think the two cities are very similar although they try to be different!

But I would compare The Girasole more with Waterview Tower, and Tower Verre with the John Hancock Center!

CHAPINM1 Aug 20, 2008 6:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chicagoguy (Post 3747570)
I agree with you I think the two cities are very similar although they try to be different!

But I would compare The Girasole more with Waterview Tower, and Tower Verre with the John Hancock Center!

Great point, I forgot about Tower Verre. I guess the John Hancock Center would be a more appropriate comparason seeing as how it is not only different by 28 feet in height, but it also has the black exterior/X brase steel support like the JHC.

Chicagoguy Aug 20, 2008 6:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CHAPINM1 (Post 3747580)
Great point, I forgot about Tower Verre. I guess the John Hancock Center would be a more appropriate comparason seeing as how it is not only different by 28 feet in height, but it also has the black exterior/X brase steel support like the JHC.

Yea Tower Verre is almost a complete younger brother to the John Hancock...just a more slim and modern version of it...

TowerGuy37 Aug 20, 2008 9:20 PM

Yeah
 
I love this building !!!!!!!!!! so pretty, graceful and beautiful!!!!! What I hate is the tease of seeing the proposal! We see all these great building proposals always at the wrong time! Then the market starts to get better and all these little cookie cutter developments start stealing sales and these great proposed structures never materialize!!

1) Park Michigan
2) Inter-Continental Tower
3) Wolf Point
4) Waldorf-Astoria
5) Now Waterview possibly ( keeping my fingers crossed on this one)

SlatsGrobnik Aug 20, 2008 9:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by denizen467 (Post 3745709)
^ What, is that all you could come up with? I could think of about a 100 questions. :koko:

Especially since one of them was already answered in the first post. By the way, do you know what ever happened to Slata Grobnik? She disappeared from these forums maybe a year and a half ago, right around the time you appeared.

Which question was answered?

I am "Slata." I mistyped the name when I first joined, and it took repeated requests over time to get it fixed.

Slats Grobnik was Mike Royko's fictional sidekick, if you didn't know.

Chicagoguy Aug 20, 2008 9:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TowerGuy37 (Post 3748081)
I love this building !!!!!!!!!! so pretty, graceful and beautiful!!!!! What I hate is the tease of seeing the proposal! We see all these great building proposals always at the wrong time! Then the market starts to get better and all these little cookie cutter developments start stealing sales and these great proposed structures never materialize!!

1) Park Michigan
2) Inter-Continental Tower
3) Wolf Point
4) Waldorf-Astoria
5) Now Waterview possibly ( keeping my fingers crossed on this one)

Yes I do hope something happens so that this great beauty gets built. It is sad that Park Michigan and Wolf Point died...but Inter-Continental is still alive and just waiting for the right time to build...they were going to start a couple years ago but sales were so good they couldnt afford to cut that many hotel rooms for that long. As for Waldorf Astoria and Waterview they are still going...although Waterview has hit a rough patch, things will come back to normal soon enough!

shaberko Aug 21, 2008 2:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CHAPINM1 (Post 3747552)
Despite the differences between the two cities, Chicago and New York DO share quite a bit of traits between a few different buidlings. By no means is this bad, but I'm just noting that both are great and there are more simularities than one would think. For instance the following buildings can easily compare and are similar in a lot of ways:

Aqua (Chicago) - Beekman Place (New York) Difference in height by roughly 40 feet and by 5 - 10 floors, the concepts are similar in addition to the wavy/striking designs.

John Hancock Center (Chicago) - Girasole (New York) Despite the major difference in floors, the heights of both differ by only 127 feet and the concepts for both are similar.

Conservatory Tower (Chicago) - Citigroup (New York) Major difference in floors, yet environmentaly friendly concepts are there plus the slanted roofs! The heights for both may be in the same neighborhood as well.

You forgot probably the most obvious ones: The Chrysler Building and Two Prudential Plaza

CHAPINM1 Aug 21, 2008 3:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shaberko (Post 3748881)
You forgot probably the most obvious ones: The Chrysler Building and Two Prudential Plaza

Your absolutely right, they are similar in both height, floors, AND design. In this case Two Prudential Plaza is the Chrysler Buildings little brother. ;)

FrancoRey Aug 21, 2008 3:48 AM

What a great looking tower! Yes, Citigroup definitely came to mind when I saw the bottom and slanted top. Except I like the glass-faced upgrade as well as the snazzy looking greenhouse on bottom. Jealousy and envy strike again! Very nice, Chicago. :tup:

Untitled Aug 21, 2008 8:19 AM

I like it a lot.

SlatsGrobnik Aug 21, 2008 3:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chicagoguy (Post 3748151)
It is sad that Park Michigan and Wolf Point died.

I hadn't heard that Wolf Point was officially dead. Franklin Point died. Is that what you were thinking of?

Nowhereman1280 Aug 21, 2008 3:41 PM

^^^ Wolf Point is not dead, I recently heard they are still working on the plans for it...

Chicagoguy Aug 21, 2008 4:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nowhereman1280 (Post 3749820)
^^^ Wolf Point is not dead, I recently heard they are still working on the plans for it...

I am aware that the original Franklin Point proposal is dead which is unfortunate...but I was just meaning the orignal design for Wolf Point is dead. They are still planning on developing the site eventually but latest I heard it will be nothing like the original plan...not as tall. From what I heard last they wanted to put a couple thin condo towers anchored by a possible supertall?

X-fib2 Aug 21, 2008 4:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nowhereman1280 (Post 3749820)
^^^ Wolf Point is not dead, I recently heard they are still working on the plans for it...

I don't think Wolf Point is dead either, just moving at a snails pace, probably waiting for market conditions to improve.

Chicagoguy Aug 21, 2008 6:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by X-fib2 (Post 3749965)
I don't think Wolf Point is dead either, just moving at a snails pace, probably waiting for market conditions to improve.

Which Wolf Point project are you talking about? The supertall proposed a few years ago that was like 140 floors? I am confused which proposal you are talking about?

America 117 Aug 21, 2008 6:23 PM

This building looks like citigroup center in NY.

America 117 Aug 21, 2008 6:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CHAPINM1 (Post 3747552)

John Hancock Center (Chicago) - Girasole (New York) Despite the major difference in floors, the heights of both differ by only 127 feet and the concepts for both are similar.

I dont see how JHC looks like the girasole.
I would say that JHC looks like 3 world trade center and the hights are the same too.
http://lowermanhattan.info/construct...s/Rogers-1.jpg
Sorry to get a little off topic

X-fib2 Aug 21, 2008 8:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chicagoguy (Post 3750134)
Which Wolf Point project are you talking about? The supertall proposed a few years ago that was like 140 floors? I am confused which proposal you are talking about?

There was an announcement earlier this year or last year, regarding a tower at Wold Point that was to be about the height of Trump. There was some discussion about this in the boom thread I think. Havn't heard anything since.

Just so we don't get too off track, I do like this proposal!

Lecom Aug 21, 2008 8:10 PM

The tower's OK but the base/street treatment are awesome.

Nowhereman1280 Aug 21, 2008 8:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chicagoguy (Post 3750134)
Which Wolf Point project are you talking about? The supertall proposed a few years ago that was like 140 floors? I am confused which proposal you are talking about?

The original proposal years ago is completely dead, but the proposal by Vorando and the Kennedy family made last year with two 50ish story buildings and a 80-90 story supertall in the middle are not even close to dead. That is the most recent proposal and really the only Wolf Point proposal of late that has any meat on its bones...

woodrow Aug 21, 2008 8:49 PM

Have to say, this is an awful location. Hate it being right next to 77 W. Wacker. Also, that awesome view they are showing? It will never be seen like that, what with the L tracks running right next to the base.

Chicagoguy Aug 21, 2008 9:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nowhereman1280 (Post 3750455)
The original proposal years ago is completely dead, but the proposal by Vorando and the Kennedy family made last year with two 50ish story buildings and a 80-90 story supertall in the middle are not even close to dead. That is the most recent proposal and really the only Wolf Point proposal of late that has any meat on its bones...

O well I know that one isnt dead...but as of now it isnt even a real proposal yet...just a bunch of talk and ideas from what I heard! Has there been any renderings released yet?

And I agree that the location for Conservatory Tower could be much better. It seems like it would fit in great in LSE, Streeterville, or possibly even the South Loop?

i_am_hydrogen Aug 21, 2008 9:17 PM

This thread is for discussion of the Conservacy Tower. If you want to talk about Wolf Point, please do so in the Boom Rundown thread. Any subsequent off-topic posts will be deleted.

America 117 Aug 22, 2008 3:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Plokoon11 (Post 3747520)
This tower looks very un safe.

Whats unsafe about it?:shrug:

Chicagoguy Aug 22, 2008 7:12 AM

Now back to Conservatory Tower? Does anyone know when we might see a sales center start to open for this one? Or when serious marketing might start?

Northwest Aug 22, 2008 5:03 PM

Agreed on the relatively poor choice of location for this design. I wouldnt want such a nice looking 900' tower to get largely hidden behind 77 W Wacker and Waterview. That greenhouse like base just screams out for sunlight.

BVictor1 Aug 22, 2008 5:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chicagoguy (Post 3751505)
Now back to Conservatory Tower? Does anyone know when we might see a sales center start to open for this one? Or when serious marketing might start?

there's nothing

it's a concept as of now

needs to go before planning and everything.

if there's any life to this proposal, it's several years off.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Northwest (Post 3752162)
Agreed on the relatively poor choice of location for this design. I wouldnt want such a nice looking 900' tower to get largely hidden behind 77 W Wacker and Waterview. That greenhouse like base just screams out for sunlight.

not really.

this tower would stick up at least 200' above 77 W. Wacker. also, I believe that the lower floors of this building were to be a hotel, so views aren't as important.

Chicagoguy Aug 22, 2008 8:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BVictor1 (Post 3752225)
there's nothing

it's a concept as of now

needs to go before planning and everything.

if there's any life to this proposal, it's several years off.



not really.

this tower would stick up at least 200' above 77 W. Wacker. also, I believe that the lower floors of this building were to be a hotel, so views aren't as important.


I figured that it was just a concept as of now. I hope they really push forward for this one...I think it would sell really well and it is just such a good concept!

As for the location I dont think the big problem would be that it would be hiden at the top...it will be the tallest out of the surrounding buildings other than Waterview!

ChicagoChicago Aug 22, 2008 8:40 PM

I love the design of this building, but I hate the location... Anything on Lake should have a buffer to the sound the L makes. I'm on the 21st floor of 200 N LaSalle, and I hear the L trains all day, every day.

Couple the noise, with the fact that the L tracks will "hide" the atrium, and I'm not a fan at all. The building is gorgeous, and I'd love to see more residential units in the Loop, but something needs to be addressed with regard to the L.

Ryan81 Aug 26, 2008 9:48 PM

Context
 
I hope my location is right:

http://img83.imageshack.us/img83/9538/50249595qy4.jpg
http://img517.imageshack.us/img517/9564/41618423mc5.jpg
http://img170.imageshack.us/img170/5146/98845441dl0.jpg

Chicagoguy Aug 26, 2008 9:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ryan81 (Post 3760214)
I hope my location is right:

I love the renderings of this one in the skyling...great job Ryan81! Would be nice to see what it looks like in the total skyline. With Conservatory Tower and Waterview there will be a nice little grouping right in there height wise. I really hope this one gets built!

Also is there anyway you could add River Point to the second phote you posted? I think the picture would look really awesome seeing that added!

photoLith Aug 26, 2008 10:55 PM

How did you get those models on Google Earth, is there a place where I can download them?

Ryan81 Aug 27, 2008 12:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by photolitherland (Post 3760367)
How did you get those models on Google Earth, is there a place where I can download them?

You may download my KMZ files here:

http://sketchup.google.com/3dwarehou...=ryan81&styp=m

I didn't put trump on there because I never completed the base. I didn't want to put anything up that wasn't complete.

I will probably get this conservatory tower up tomorrow. It's pretty quick and dirty, but does the trick

Steely Dan Aug 27, 2008 9:01 PM

wow, great images ryan81!

i have a feeling this project is a bit pie in the sky at the moment, but it was still fun to see your images and day dream.

SolarWind Aug 28, 2008 1:55 AM

Great job, Ryan81. Thanks! :cheers:

aaron38 Aug 28, 2008 2:15 AM

That does make a pretty cool cluster. Someday.


All times are GMT. The time now is 12:59 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.