SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   Manitoba & Saskatchewan (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=129)
-   -   Investors Group Field | Winnipeg (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=123544)

viperred88 Apr 5, 2007 5:20 AM

hmmm here is a bit of news out of Inidianapolis RCA DOME is scheduled to be replaced by a new retractable-roof stadium in time for the 2008 NFL season. The new stadium, which is named Lucas Oil Stadium will be located across the street directly to the south of the RCA Dome's location in downtown Indianapolis. The RCA Dome is slated to be demolished to make room for an expansion to the Indiana Convention Center in late 2008.
They seem to have no ill effects to have built a domed stadium downtown as they are making way for a new one.

trueviking Apr 12, 2007 4:41 AM

http://img523.imageshack.us/img523/9...eimage3ez6.jpg
http://img508.imageshack.us/img508/5...iordomesv6.jpg
http://img518.imageshack.us/img518/8...lopmentwa3.jpg
http://img389.imageshack.us/img389/1899/1111cm8.jpg

i'll try and move the stadium discussion to this thread.

did anyone catch the piece on the david asper owned CKND newscast pointing out that the conceptual interior image of the canadinns stadium proposal was taken from the phoenix cardinal's stadium.

talk about dirty pool.

the lead designer for the canad inns stadium will be peter eisenman, the very same architect who designed cardinal's stadium.....of course this was not mentioned.

there is absolutely nothing wrong with using your own previous work as conceptual images to show general character and feel.....these are not designs..they are concepts....asper's concept would not be the design either. if they think that the final building will have sloped glass walls and an oval all glass hotel, they are sadly mistaken....these are concepts, not designs.

thre were several images of cardinal's stadium in the RFP....number ten took a tour of the facility and eisenman was chosen as the designer because of that stadium.

the newscast had a reporter at the forks holding two images asking what people thought.

the slant of the report was that if the cardinal's stadium cost 400 million to build then how can canadinns be saying that their proposal would only be 250 million....trying to cast doubt on its feasibility.

of course they failed to mention that the phoenix stadium is more than twice the size of the proposed stadium...it has a retractable roof, not a fixed one, it has hundreds of luxury suites and a moveable natural grass field....there is no comparasin in the scope of the two projects.

i wonder how canad inns will respond...

Lee_Haber8 Apr 12, 2007 5:02 AM

^It doesn't seem like any thought was given to how everything should be laid out. The stadium needs to be moved close to Marion and Archibald where it can be better served with transit and rapid transit. I am also surprised they wouldn't try to develop some of this land as mixed use to offset the costs.

I wish Winnipeg had city planners who would demand these things :(

Here's a concept I made for East St. Boniface a while ago. It doesn't factor in these plans, by you can imagine where it would fit in
http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y52...aber8/stbr.jpg

trueviking Apr 12, 2007 5:22 AM

the site plan was literally done over easter dinner.

it is far more important for the commercial development to be at the intersection than the stadium...the retail relies on visibility and every day traffic...the stadium doesnt.

transit can run into the site easily from all directions and service the ballpark on the 10 days per year that it is used for football....there are way more realistic priorities guiding the site than mythical rapid transit.

the west end of the site is closest to the major artery of lagimodiere, which will be the highest volume access to the stadium itself.....that is one of the reasons it is there....also, the parking lot is best in the south east corner, buried away on the least viable property...the stadium needs to be adjacent to that.

the site is very much mixed use....if you mean housing, that is a possibility, but retail makes way more money.

CCF Apr 12, 2007 5:29 AM

Out of curiosity, how close is the proposed site to downtown?

trueviking Apr 12, 2007 5:32 AM

about 3kms.....the site is the open space in the foreground of the photo...downtown at the top.

http://img79.imageshack.us/img79/7559/untitled1oe0.jpg

green is the site...blue is downtown...

http://img79.imageshack.us/img79/2921/winnipegzt4.jpg

CCF Apr 12, 2007 5:34 AM

Is that the only spot being considered? Or is there somewhere else you guys would rather see it go?

trueviking Apr 12, 2007 5:41 AM

there are two proposals...one for an open air stadium at the existing stadium site at polo park...this is being proposed by david asper...he would also buy the football team....go here to see the images...

http://www.blueandgold.ca

the second proposal is for a dome on this site...the team would remain community owned....the proposal is by the canad inns hotel owners.

there is much debate on which is the better proposal..the bombers are considering both and will move forward to look for government funding once they decide.

1ajs Apr 12, 2007 6:03 AM

txs for posting the site viking now i can fix the asper image links

FFX-ME Apr 12, 2007 2:12 PM

congrats winnipeg, that stadium looks incredible, i wish ottawa had something like that

The Diva Apr 12, 2007 2:16 PM

Don't worry, Ottawa has a lot we do not have....

FFX-ME Apr 12, 2007 2:24 PM

like what, short ugly skyscrapers, politics lol, a border with québec, the only thing i can think of is an nhl team, i wish ottawa didnt move so slowly and stop contreversing all emprovements like the hight limit, the cancelation of the lrt, f in frank clair stadium

The Diva Apr 12, 2007 2:28 PM

You have a properly developed historic district (Byward is a hell of a lot more exciting than the Exchange District), you have a successful downtown mall, Ottawa has a lot more downtown residential options/more development, Ottawa has better hotels, LRT, more urban neighborhoods....

SmileyBoy Apr 12, 2007 8:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Diva (Post 2761892)
You have a properly developed historic district (Byward is a hell of a lot more exciting than the Exchange District), you have a successful downtown mall, Ottawa has a lot more downtown residential options/more development, Ottawa has better hotels, LRT, more urban neighborhoods....

Winnipeg has a successful downtown mall too. Last year I was in Winnipeg, I went to Portage Place, and it was PACKED.

1ajs Apr 12, 2007 8:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SmileyBoy (Post 2762822)
Winnipeg has a successful downtown mall too. Last year I was in Winnipeg, I went to Portage Place, and it was PACKED.

umm we got 3 malls downtown.........

Lee_Haber8 Apr 12, 2007 8:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trueviking (Post 2761337)
the site plan was literally done over easter dinner.

it is far more important for the commercial development to be at the intersection than the stadium...the retail relies on visibility and every day traffic...the stadium doesnt.

transit can run into the site easily from all directions and service the ballpark on the 10 days per year that it is used for football....there are way more realistic priorities guiding the site than mythical rapid transit.

the west end of the site is closest to the major artery of lagimodiere, which will be the highest volume access to the stadium itself.....that is one of the reasons it is there....also, the parking lot is best in the south east corner, buried away on the least viable property...the stadium needs to be adjacent to that.

the site is very much mixed use....if you mean housing, that is a possibility, but retail makes way more money.

Well I hope more thought is put into more advanced plans. I understand the justification but I still think you could add retail and a connection to lagimodiere by extending the urban fabric instead of some strewn together hodge-podge like SmartPark. You'd probably get more money out of the land by putting proper infrastructure since you would be using land more efficiently. This design seriously reminds me of the Olympic stadium complex in Montreal - that is not a good thing.

Mythical rapid transit? Only because today's politicians are so near-sighted they can't see how the area should be in the future. Sustainable development is about meeting future needs as well as the present ones - why not move the stadium to the northwest corner, build a street grid and parking lots in a way so that as Winnipeg moves away from cars the parking lots can be developed? Why not have the stadium surrounded and directly connected to retail buildings so that the retail building are on the street and the stadium is set back instead of having them all over the place?

I know this is a pretty critical analysis, but criticism makes a project better in the end. Where are the planners that should be doing this?

trueviking Apr 13, 2007 6:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lee_Haber8 (Post 2762925)
Well I hope more thought is put into more advanced plans. I understand the justification but I still think you could add retail and a connection to lagimodiere by extending the urban fabric instead of some strewn together hodge-podge like SmartPark. You'd probably get more money out of the land by putting proper infrastructure since you would be using land more efficiently. This design seriously reminds me of the Olympic stadium complex in Montreal - that is not a good thing.

Mythical rapid transit? Only because today's politicians are so near-sighted they can't see how the area should be in the future. Sustainable development is about meeting future needs as well as the present ones - why not move the stadium to the northwest corner, build a street grid and parking lots in a way so that as Winnipeg moves away from cars the parking lots can be developed? Why not have the stadium surrounded and directly connected to retail buildings so that the retail building are on the street and the stadium is set back instead of having them all over the place?

I know this is a pretty critical analysis, but criticism makes a project better in the end. Where are the planners that should be doing this?

dont worry...whatever happens on this site, it will be planned...this was just a graphic, mostly to show scale and possible zoning.

who knows what it will turn into...residential is a possibility if the stadium doesnt happen.

i dont agree with you that the stadium should be on the north west corner though....that bohemoth would cut the rest of the site off from being useful....commercial space makes far more sense not only for visibility and traffic but also for neighbourhood scale.

FFX-ME Apr 13, 2007 8:25 PM

is it just me or does that pic looks more around the lines of 45000 instead of 30000

ScrappyPeg Apr 13, 2007 9:15 PM

I kinda like the idea that someone from another province/city has come into this site to congratulate Winnipeg on something. Of course, we are always quick to dispell any possibility that there is something to be proud of in this city.:cool:

bomberguy Apr 13, 2007 10:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FFX-ME (Post 2765690)
is it just me or does that pic looks more around the lines of 45000 instead of 30000

It's more like 64 thousand. :rolleyes: