SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   St. John's (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=700)
-   -   Would you support the diaspora voting in Newfoundland and Labrador's elections? (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=215231)

SignalHillHiker Jan 17, 2015 11:01 PM

Would you support the diaspora voting in Newfoundland and Labrador's elections?

I'm curious - if one of the political parties proposed allowing Newfoundlanders abroad in, say, Fort McMurray, to vote in our elections, would you allow it?

There are some examples of this in the world - and not just in politics. Newfoundland still usually sends a beauty queen to several pageants in Ireland, for example. And everything you can think of - from sports to whatever else - this sort of thing is going on somewhere.

PoscStudent Jan 18, 2015 1:15 AM

No. I can't think of any good reason why it would even make sense.

Marty_Mcfly Jan 18, 2015 3:11 AM

Depends. Are we talking about people on the "turn-around" or people who have moved to Alberta? If you're going to be working on your shift in Fort Mac during NL election day, I could get behind it. If you've moved to Fort Mac, bought a house, and are living there minus the occasional vacation back home, then no. At that point you're a resident of Alberta, and shouldn't have any say in politics back home.

statbass Jan 18, 2015 1:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marty_Mcfly (Post 6879375)
Depends. Are we talking about people on the "turn-around" or people who have moved to Alberta? If you're going to be working on your shift in Fort Mac during NL election day, I could get behind it.

But isn't that what advanced polling and special ballots are for?

PoscStudent Jan 18, 2015 2:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by statbass (Post 6879604)

Yes. As well if your permanent residence is here and you're in school elsewhere you can still vote in provincial elections.

Marty_Mcfly Jan 18, 2015 3:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by statbass (Post 6879604)

You're right, sorry. I never actually think about advanced ballots because I've never had to use one :haha:

Chew Jan 20, 2015 2:56 PM

The current system works fine in my view. I was out of the country for school during the 2003 election and still was able to cast a ballot...

JHikka Jan 21, 2015 2:10 AM

Current format is fine. What counts as a Newfoundlander abroad? A guy in Fort Mac? His son born there? The grandchild of a Newfoundlander? A great-granchild? If the latter is true then i'll be mailing mine on shortly. :)

jeddy1989 Jan 27, 2015 12:17 AM

I would not support having people who do not live under the government, to get to vote for the government under which they do not have to live.