SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   San Antonio (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=447)
-   -   Another Skyline In San Antonio (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=165368)

imthrowed94 Feb 20, 2009 6:48 AM

Another Skyline In San Antonio

I've been thinking ever since I read about this new proposed hotel downtown and the problems with the hdrc. We have mixed use developments happening in certain parts of the city, but I was just thinking maybe buisness leaders can one day come up with and idea to develope something like a second downtown. I think it would be great to have that in this city. Yes you do have skyscrapers on the north side of the city, but when you see them together from a distance I don't think that they form a true skyline. We do have the medical center and that little skyline look ok. In other city they have more than one buisness area. In Houston they different areas like Uptown and Midtown and a couple of more. In Los Angeles the have Century City it's a nice little skyline. And in Phoenix they have Midtown. I think that would be nice if we had something like that here, and the developers wouldn't have to worry about you know who lol. But anyway that's how I feel everybody else put you two cent in and share your opinions.

imthrowed94 Feb 20, 2009 6:50 AM

Forgot

Oh I forgot to mention that soon they will work to make River North a reality, but it's still a good idea to have other developments.

PartyLine Feb 20, 2009 2:48 PM

I agree I think SA should have something like uptown Houston like maby off 410 around North Star mall or something. Austin wants to redevelop a part of north Austin around the Domain into a "second downtown"

http://www.ci.austin.tx.us/urbandesign/north_burnet.htm

http://www.ci.austin.tx.us/zoning/north_burnet.htm

oldmanshirt Feb 20, 2009 4:28 PM

The area around the airport would be taller were it not for, well, the airport. You'll notice many of the midrises have lots of square footage but are designed to be squatter and thus shorter, and many were split into two buildings.

Dallas doesn't really have a cohesive "second skyline" either, just many buildings scattered along major thoroughfares. SA would probably do better connecting the downtown skyline with River North and the Broadway corridor than establishing a whole new business district somewhere.

Metro Matt Feb 20, 2009 6:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oldmanshirt (Post 4099764)
Dallas doesn't really have a cohesive "second skyline" either, just many buildings scattered along major thoroughfares

Uptown & Galleria are Dallas' "second & third skylines". Irving has the Las Colinas skyline too.

None of those compare to any of Houston's though...well, maybe Greenspoint or Westchase.

miaht82 Feb 20, 2009 6:40 PM

NorthStar area could, if there were a high or even midrise residential thrown in there somehow, perhaps behind the SWBC building. I noticed the corner of San Pedro and 410, on the corner of the Macy's is being leveled out vs. being a holding pond for drainage. I thought there was supposed to be an "Omni-like" hotel there on that corner?

oldmanshirt Feb 20, 2009 7:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Metro Matt (Post 4100032)
Uptown & Galleria are Dallas' "second & third skylines". Irving has the Las Colinas skyline too.

None of those compare to any of Houston's though...well, maybe Greenspoint or Westchase.

Like you said, Dallas' Galleria might seem more impressive if Houston's wasn't so much more imposing. I was frankly disappointed the first time I saw Los Colinas, based on all that I'd heard about it before. It doesn't even really stand out in Dallas, let alone amongst secondary skylines in other places like Houston, Bellevue and Buckhead.

Metro Matt Feb 20, 2009 11:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oldmanshirt (Post 4100161)
Like you said, Dallas' Galleria might seem more impressive if Houston's wasn't so much more imposing. I was frankly disappointed the first time I saw Los Colinas, based on all that I'd heard about it before. It doesn't even really stand out in Dallas, let alone amongst secondary skylines in other places like Houston, Bellevue and Buckhead.

Las Colinas is decent for a suburban Dallas skyline. I like the fact it has a semi-river walk there even though its basically just another office park. It had the opportunity to become more urban than it is, but failed. Hopefully that will change if the planned DART line ever goes through.

imthrowed94 Feb 21, 2009 3:39 AM

Your Right

Quote:

Originally Posted by oldmanshirt (Post 4100161)

I just looked at an image of Las Colinas. And it looks like a downtown that a town with a population between 50 to 100,000. when I saw it had be thinking about cities like Mobile,Alabama or Salt Lake City,Utah.

adtobias Feb 21, 2009 6:50 AM

medical center area is the best option for a "second d/t". but we should work on the one we have now

imthrowed94 Feb 21, 2009 8:24 AM

Information

Quote:

Originally Posted by adtobias (Post 4101223)
medical center area is the best option for a "second d/t". but we should work on the one we have now

I just came across some info that did verify that there was approval for the 27 story building that was supposed to be built next to the cress building. I do remember people on the city data and this forum talking about it, but I think that someone said that it's not going to happen. If anybody knows any info on this let me know.

texastarkus Feb 21, 2009 4:28 PM

Before we start building a second downtown wouldn't it be better if we encouraged building the downtown area first? We could use a couple 400-500's and a bunch of mid-sized highrises as in-fill. Other Texas cities that are mentioned above (Houston, Dallas and Austin)already have a good looking downtown. Just thinking out loud.

adtobias Feb 21, 2009 7:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by imthrowed94 (Post 4101311)
I just came across some info that did verify that there was approval for the 27 story building that was supposed to be built next to the cress building. I do remember people on the city data and this forum talking about it, but I think that someone said that it's not going to happen. If anybody knows any info on this let me know.

I think that was to be the W hotel

PartyLine Feb 21, 2009 7:59 PM

I didn't know they wer going to build a W hotel in SA their building one here in Austin downtown.

Keep-SA-Lame Feb 21, 2009 9:50 PM

Don't forget the potential that Broadway south of Hildebrand has. You have no idea how much I want IHOP gone...

oldmanshirt Feb 22, 2009 1:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PartyLine (Post 4101803)
I didn't know they wer going to build a W hotel in SA their building one here in Austin downtown.

Yeah, we know :rolleyes:

Enough about Austin, please.

Paul in S.A TX Feb 22, 2009 1:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by texastarkus (Post 4101522)
Before we start building a second downtown wouldn't it be better if we encouraged building the downtown area first? We could use a couple 400-500's and a bunch of mid-sized highrises as in-fill. Other Texas cities that are mentioned above (Houston, Dallas and Austin)already have a good looking downtown. Just thinking out loud.

S.A. already has a good looking downtown, and lots of in-fill being added. :haha:

tgannaway89 Feb 22, 2009 10:11 PM

Downtown/Riverwalk area is too bureaucratic to become what we'd like to see. We need an area that doesn't have to chop and glue their plans (several times I might add) to conform with the predetermined ideas of regulatory organizations like HDRC. Houston has no zoning and has attracted some very nice high-rises! There is a lot of room in the medical center but it is owned by SAMF and they only offer the land for medical purposes. I doubt they could be convinced to allow high rise office buildings. Plus , traffic in that area is horrific and would require a lot of work before that could become a reality.

I'd like to see the I-10/410 intersection find new high rises. There are plenty of small buildings that could be removed to make way for nice sleek high rises. If we got rid of Crossroads Mall there is prime land for high rises. This area is adjacent to the medical center and would complement any height the moves in there.

adtobias Feb 23, 2009 5:28 AM

we are so backwards here. Did they tear down two 7-8 story building on 410 and blanco "to build a shopping center

jaga185 Feb 23, 2009 7:27 AM

Hey hey now, we needed to see those nasties go, lol. I'll give them that one.