SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   Manitoba & Saskatchewan (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=129)
-   -   Freeway-Free City - Something Winnipeg can be proud of (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=137983)

Lee_Haber8 Sep 23, 2007 6:58 PM

Freeway-Free City - Something Winnipeg can be proud of

I was looking at another forum about large U.S. cities without freeways and it might be that Winnipeg may be the only large city of over 500,000 people. Whether it was intentional or good fortune, I think it is something Winnipeg should be proud of: that we haven't made the mistake that has blighted so many cities on this continent.

Now, hopefully we can get around to improving public transit and urban life to kill any ideas of building freeways in the future

newflyer Sep 23, 2007 10:55 PM

While I wouldn't want any bridges over neighbourhoods carrying high volume freeways... I definatley would support a more interchanges being built inorder to improve traffic flows on Bishop Grandon, Route 90 and Lag. I am always sickened at the amount of pollution as a result of inefficient high volume roadways.

I also know the trucking industry is pushing for better traffic flows. The new underpass on route 90 has definately improved things at that spot... but there are still many enefficient areas to be improved on, especially as the level of commericial traffic areas in the city expand, while the city wants to attact higher levels of the transportation distribution business.

On this point I heard that they will be building a new underpass on Waverly.

1ajs Sep 23, 2007 11:34 PM

yes they are going to build a new underpas on waverly... its kinda needed...

anyhow there was a proposil for a freeway system in winnipeg back in the 60's theres pics on the web of it somewhere we also were supost to build a subway damit :(

Greco Roman Sep 23, 2007 11:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by newflyer (Post 3070511)
On this point I heard that they will be building a new underpass on Waverly.

Where on Waverly, and is it JUST an overpass?

1ajs Sep 24, 2007 1:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Greco Roman (Post 3070644)
Where on Waverly, and is it JUST an overpass?

it was in the news recently

harls Sep 24, 2007 1:21 AM

http://www.winnipegsun.com/News/Winn...10739-sun.html

newflyer Sep 24, 2007 1:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1ajs (Post 3070590)
yes they are going to build a new underpas on waverly... its kinda needed...

anyhow there was a proposil for a freeway system in winnipeg back in the 60's theres pics on the web of it somewhere we also were supost to build a subway damit :(

Yes the underpass is definitly needed. It will provide alot of relief in that area.

good_dude Sep 24, 2007 1:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by newflyer (Post 3070772)
Yes the underpass is definitly needed. It will provide alot of relief in that area.

that waverley development is horrible

1ajs Sep 24, 2007 1:53 AM

we should ban building culdisacs

Calgarian Sep 24, 2007 2:01 AM

What is wrong with freeways? Deerfoot trail in Calgary is my favorite road to drive on because it is a fast efficient way to get from north to south (except when there are accidents of course). Raised freeways are a different story of course, but having a big fast road without any lights is a very good thing IMO.

Lee_Haber8 Sep 24, 2007 2:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by johnnyc (Post 3070822)
What is wrong with freeways? Deerfoot trail in Calgary is my favorite road to drive on because it is a fast efficient way to get from north to south (except when there are accidents of course). Raised freeways are a different story of course, but having a big fast road without any lights is a very good thing IMO.

Well the point is we're trying to get people away from cars and sprawl to living on a more human and sustainable scale. Calgary is horrible in this respect!

A Waverley Underpass is more money wasted that should be spent actually improving the city! I'm surprised and disappointed that it is getting so many endorsements from people on this forum.

1ajs Sep 24, 2007 2:11 AM

unfortnatly lee its needed not just for whats going to be built but also for whats there already...... i personaly would love to see them suffer

newflyer Sep 24, 2007 2:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lee_Haber8 (Post 3070831)
Well the point is we're trying to get people away from cars and sprawl to living on a more human and sustainable scale. Calgary is horrible in this respect!

A Waverley Underpass is more money wasted that should be spent actually improving the city! I'm surprised and disappointed that it is getting so many endorsements from people on this forum.

... ummm are you from another century?

... Modern transportation has long been built into the economy, especially in the transportaion hub like Winnipeg. That underpass on Waverly will encourage more light industrial develoment in the area. This will help the city's economy expand and is nessesary for the future well being of the city.. even if a few pedestrain focused people don't appreciate it. That part of Waverly is rapidly becoming a tax driver for the city.

Not everthing can or will be built downtown... and many sectors require efficient transportation... in zoned areas which support those companies. I also think people should live close to there work.... and those areas also require effienct transportation. Winnipeg is more than just a downtown .. its a city.. and if it wants to develop as a modern city it needs to continue to enhance its infrastructure... including roadways.

In the coming years we will continue to see more expressway type upgrades, as Winnipeg looks to expand its commerical transportation industry. I wouldn't nessesarily say we'd need a Deerfoot, but as Winnipeg continues to grow the city needs to keep up, or face the problems which plague a city which falls behind on its roadways. (ie: lost opportunities). There are some significant developments in the offing which will require even more upgrades of traffic flows. It is looking very promising.

Lee_Haber8 Sep 24, 2007 2:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by newflyer (Post 3070891)
... ummm are you from another century?

... Modern transportation has long been built into the economy, especially in the transportaion hub like Winnipeg. That underpass on Waverly will encourage more light industrial develoment in the area. This will help the city's economy expand and is nessesary for the future well being of the city.. even if a few pedestrain focused people don't appreciate it. That part of Waverly is rapidly becoming a tax driver for the city.

Not everthing can or will be built downtown... and many sectors require efficient transportation... in zoned areas which support those companies. I also think people should live close to there work.... and those areas also require effienct transportation. Winnipeg is more than just a downtown .. its a city.. and if it wants to develop as a modern city it needs to continue to enhance its infrastructure... including roadways.

In the coming years we will continue to see more expressway type upgrades, as Winnipeg looks to expand its commerical transportation industry. I wouldn't nessesarily say we'd need a Deerfoot, but as Winnipeg continues to grow the city needs to keep up, or face the problems which plague a city which falls behind on its roadways. (ie: lost opportunities). There are some significant developments in the offing which will require even more upgrades of traffic flows. It is looking very promising.

Yeah we do need efficient movement of goods, but that's what the perimeter and railways are for. Building interchanges in the city will do little to make things more efficient; you'll just end up with a more inhospitable city and the roads will be just as clogged in a year or two. So you spent a ton of money and just made things worse.

Lack of investment in roadways is not the main problem with Winnipeg, it is the lack of investment in schools, neighbourhoods and other more efficient forms of transportation that has been the problem. Right now Winnipeg isn't growing; it's sprawling. There's a difference.

Andy6 Sep 24, 2007 2:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lee_Haber8 (Post 3070915)
Yeah we do need efficient movement of goods, but that's what the perimeter and railways are for. Building interchanges in the city will do little to make things more efficient; you'll just end up with a more inhospitable city and the roads will be just as clogged in a year or two. So you spent a ton of money and just made things worse.

Wouldn't they be "just as clogged" because there is more traffic using the same road? So even if what you claim will happen will in fact happen, the city is actually better off because more cars are able to travel, even if it is only at the same speed as before. If the post-construction clogging occurs because traffic increases from (say) 100 to 150 (arbitrary units of volume), then the result of the road-building program is that 150 can travel at a speed at which, before construction, only 100 could travel. So that's progress.

newflyer Sep 24, 2007 3:08 AM

The population is increasing .. and the numbers of business is increasing .. therefore it is growing. The GDP of the city is also growing a very good pace... projected to be 3rd next year in all of Canada.

Winnipeg is a transportaion hub.. and roadways are a very important part of that. You are right though the demands on Winnipeg roads will continueto grow, as long as the city continues to grow.

Yes the perimeter is a very nice peice of infrastructure ( Edmonton and Calgary are bother imitating it as we speak), but the last time I looked there wasn't much industry on the perimeter Hwy. Winnipeg will continue to see demands for better roadways on the inner portions of the city as they are the most conjested... and end up costing the local economy the most money in wasted transportaion costs. The trucking association has stated it costs the city and provincial economy millions of dollars a year in delayed transport costs alone, not to mention the image from companies to disregard Winnipeg as a viable hub, due to the weak infrastructure.

Capital infrastructure is just as imporant to the local economy as low taxes.
Without the nessesary means to compete.. Winnipeg's economy will not fair very well in the future .. hense the problems of the 70's, 80's and 90's. Winnipeg needs to move beyond that .. and realize that we need to compete for investment.

Yes it nice to pretend that Winnipeg is in a buble... but its simple not true and the misconception need to be overcome.

flatlander Sep 24, 2007 5:10 AM

A freeway is modern transportation? Maybe in 1950. So that people in Linden Ridge can drive through my neighbourhood faster? Screw that. Put the money into transportation for the new economy, namely light rail.

Only The Lonely.. Sep 24, 2007 4:39 PM

Winnipeg not having a freeway system has nothing to do with us being some mecca to new urbanism.

Rather we don't have a freeway because we're a backwards anti development kinda town.

It would be one thing if our forefathers said no to freeways and yes to some form of rapid transit, i.e. subway, L-train, monorail...etc.

But this is not the case..Winnipeg has neither a decent freeway system nor do we have rapid transit. Ohh yaa and we still have sprawl.

At the moment we're living in the worst of both worlds.

vid Sep 24, 2007 4:41 PM

At least you don't have a "freeway" with red lights every mile or so. You finally get it up into high gear and you have to shift down again to stop! :rolleyes:

malek Sep 24, 2007 4:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lee_Haber8 (Post 3070831)

:haha: :haha: :haha: :haha: yeah.