SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   City Compilations (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=87)
-   -   SAN DIEGO | Boom Rundown, Vol. 2 (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=126473)

Leo the Dog Sep 13, 2014 5:11 AM

Regarding Bay Park and the NIMBYism associated with raising building heights, I kind of get their argument.

What if one of us, purchased a home based off the fact that heights were limited to Xft. It was the determining factor in one choosing this neighborhood to purchase a 600k home. Then suddenly, developers want to increase the height. Bring in thousands of more transient renters.

Why would you not fight to preserve your neighborhood and your investment? The residents of Bay Park probably view it as, other neighborhoods reject this type of development, why do you think you can push us around?!

Chapelo Sep 13, 2014 7:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nezbn22 (Post 6727561)
It's not the waterfront food/fish market I was hoping for, but I'll take it:

http://www.utsandiego.com/news/2014/...?#article-copy

Back in the 80s, this same space was the base commissary. It would be the perfect place for the market.

http://media.utsandiego.com/img/phot...8a41b9b1684c1a

I just hope these murals are preserved.

mello Sep 13, 2014 8:05 PM

Bay Park

Leo the big picture here is that this is a redo of the entire Morena corridor from Rose Canyon through the 8 interchange. So thousands of new residents along that 4.5 mile stretch over 15 years isn't that big of a deal.

Then remember developers always ask for more than what they know they can get. I was just in Kensington looking at that new 3 story project which is probably 30-33 feet high. In Bay Park where views will really be blocked by 60 footers builders will probably fight for 42 to 45 foot tall four floor residential structures with underground parking.

Developers know they need 4 floors of residential units to make a project pencil out so they ask for 60 feet knowing they can cram in 4 floors at 45 feet. So they propose 60 to start and then meet the residents halfway (they come up from 30 developers come down from 60).

Now in Rose Canyon or that warehouse area at the South end of Morena they can probably get away with 60 feet because no one lives there now and views won't be compromised. I bet in the heart of Bay Park (Mid Morena) 4 floor apartment buildings with underground parking will eventually start replacing the mostly crap (other than restaurants) that exists there now.

SDfan Sep 13, 2014 8:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leo the Dog (Post 6728070)
Regarding Bay Park and the NIMBYism associated with raising building heights, I kind of get their argument.

What if one of us, purchased a home based off the fact that heights were limited to Xft. It was the determining factor in one choosing this neighborhood to purchase a 600k home. Then suddenly, developers want to increase the height. Bring in thousands of more transient renters.

Why would you not fight to preserve your neighborhood and your investment? The residents of Bay Park probably view it as, other neighborhoods reject this type of development, why do you think you can push us around?!

I understand the investment that these people are making in California real estate is much more significant than say, in Iowa, or even El Cajon. Yet, while that may be the case, what is detrimental to a few is far outweighed by the needs of the vast majority. What might be a 10% or even 15% depreciation in value for three or four homes on block does not justify the denial of much needed housing and urban infrastructure. Change is a constant in life, nothing is permanent, and unless these people own the land around them then they do not have the right to dictate land-use policies that only benefit themselves and their interests.

SDfan Sep 13, 2014 8:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chapelo (Post 6728543)
Back in the 80s, this same space was the base commissary. It would be the perfect place for the market.

I just hope these murals are preserved.

I'm sure the murals will be preserved, they add to the historical feel of the building, which is part of why the developers are interested in the space to begin with.

Leo the Dog Sep 14, 2014 6:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mello (Post 6728563)
Leo the big picture here is that this is a redo of the entire Morena corridor from Rose Canyon through the 8 interchange. So thousands of new residents along that 4.5 mile stretch over 15 years isn't that big of a deal.

Then remember developers always ask for more than what they know they can get. I was just in Kensington looking at that new 3 story project which is probably 30-33 feet high. In Bay Park where views will really be blocked by 60 footers builders will probably fight for 42 to 45 foot tall four floor residential structures with underground parking.

Developers know they need 4 floors of residential units to make a project pencil out so they ask for 60 feet knowing they can cram in 4 floors at 45 feet. So they propose 60 to start and then meet the residents halfway (they come up from 30 developers come down from 60).

Now in Rose Canyon or that warehouse area at the South end of Morena they can probably get away with 60 feet because no one lives there now and views won't be compromised. I bet in the heart of Bay Park (Mid Morena) 4 floor apartment buildings with underground parking will eventually start replacing the mostly crap (other than restaurants) that exists there now.

Oh and don't get me wrong, I think develoment along Morena would be fantastic, especially along the mid coast trolley stops...I was kind of playing devils advocate. Bay Park has some really beautiful neighborhoods. I suggest taking a driving tour off the beaten path. There are many older homes that have either been demo'd/rebuilt or expanded greatly.

I was trying to put myself in their shoes. "OB has restrictions...why can't we?"

SDfan Sep 14, 2014 5:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leo the Dog (Post 6728960)
Oh and don't get me wrong, I think develoment along Morena would be fantastic, especially along the mid coast trolley stops...I was kind of playing devils advocate. Bay Park has some really beautiful neighborhoods. I suggest taking a driving tour off the beaten path. There are many older homes that have either been demo'd/rebuilt or expanded greatly.

I was trying to put myself in their shoes. "OB has restrictions...why can't we?"

I understand, and I appreciate it. :cheers:

Bertrice Sep 14, 2014 5:47 PM

Liberty station is also getting an aquatic center. Also I notice the old gymnasium is being torn down or renovated

http://www.sandiego.gov/real-estate-...rfpaquatic.pdf

Leo the Dog Sep 15, 2014 4:00 AM

Edit: interesting re striping of Mission Blvd in N. PB. Thinking it might go down to one lane in each direction.

Also, regarding road diets, 5th ave northbound seems to be flowing fine after losing the far left lane. No need to have 3 general purpose lanes for DT to Hillcrest.

Chapelo Sep 15, 2014 7:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bertrice (Post 6729274)
Liberty station is also getting an aquatic center. Also I notice the old gymnasium is being torn down or renovated

http://www.sandiego.gov/real-estate-...rfpaquatic.pdf

The pool portion of the gym was demolished. The rest of the building will become (I think) High Tech Elementary.

Sad to see that pool go. Every recruit who trained at NTC had to swim in that pool during basic training.

nezbn22 Sep 15, 2014 5:44 PM

Interesting development regarding 7th and Market:

http://www.hughesmarino.com/hughes-m...ids-submitted/

spoonman Sep 15, 2014 7:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nezbn22 (Post 6730348)
Interesting development regarding 7th and Market:

http://www.hughesmarino.com/hughes-m...ids-submitted/

Anyone know the scope of the project? I couldn't find anything when I looked on Civic SD. I believe the old proposal for that site was around 42 floors.

mello Sep 15, 2014 8:40 PM

I'm pretty sure 7th and Market will be maxed out to 500 feet as they are talking about finally doing a mixed use tower with hotel, office, and residential space. Why San Diego has not been doing any of this when its been common in Miami and San Francisco I have no idea. This is such a prime location 7th and Market is right there between Gaslamp and East Village I can't wait to see a quality tall proposal for this lot!

Northparkwizard Sep 15, 2014 9:32 PM

South Park is getting a small Target store, replacing Gala Foods?

tyleraf Sep 15, 2014 9:52 PM

Also, the Park and Market site should have its designs released at the same time, as both sites went to bid at the same time. IDEA Partners, a developer from Seattle, and the Robert Green Company are competing for that site.

SDfan Sep 16, 2014 12:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Northparkwizard (Post 6730682)

This is such a good idea! Gala Foods is terrible, and we desperately need a pharmacy (and affordable groceries) in South Park/Golden Hill. I'm sure this is going to piss off the indy's, but this is too good a proposal for the neighborhood.

nezbn22 Sep 16, 2014 5:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tyleraf (Post 6730701)
Also, the Park and Market site should have its designs released at the same time, as both sites went to bid at the same time. IDEA Partners, a developer from Seattle, and the Robert Green Company are competing for that site.

Tyler - when you say Park and Market, are you referring to the Quartyard lot on the Northwest corner of Park and Market? Or is there another corner that you're referring to?

Is Quartyard ever going to materialize?

psychotron Sep 16, 2014 5:54 PM

According to their Facebook, the Quartyard guys just signed the lease with the city and started construction.

psychotron Sep 16, 2014 5:56 PM

Target Express will be great for South Park. Would be nice to get a City Target downtown somewhere...

tyleraf Sep 16, 2014 6:01 PM

There is talk of a cityTarget coming to Makers Quarter. Also, the Park and Market site is Quartyard.