SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   Buildings & Architecture (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=397)
-   -   CHICAGO | John Hancock Center | 1,127 FT / 344 M | 100 FLOORS | 1969 (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=153622)

J_M_Tungsten May 24, 2016 11:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tom Servo (Post 7452093)
You usually annoy me, but this is pretty funny :haha:

The pot calling the kettle...

LouisVanDerWright May 24, 2016 11:49 PM

I'm hoping they rename it "Brand Plaza" or "Naming Rights Tower".

The North One May 25, 2016 7:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steely Dan (Post 7452064)
uhhhh, chicago has nothing to do with it.

it sounds like you are unfamiliar with the concept of private property.

Chicago should have one of it's most iconic buildings landmarked. Private or not, some of the responsibility is on the city.

jsr May 26, 2016 12:24 PM

lol, it'll probably end up as "Trump Tower II"

MolsonExport May 26, 2016 1:00 PM

To raise money, I heard that Paris is seeking sponsorship in exchange for renaming rights to the Eiffel Tower.

chris08876 Nov 17, 2018 12:44 AM

Six Tourists Rescued After Being Stuck in 875 N. Michigan Elevator in Chicago

Quote:

It had been about an hour since the elevator suddenly stopped on 16 November 2018 at 875 N. Michigan, the former John Hancock Center, two of its cables broken and six people trapped inside. All they knew was they were somewhere between the 95th floor and the lobby of Chicago’s fourth-tallest building.

Another hour or more would pass before firefighters knocked through a brick wall on the 11th floor and helped the tourists to safety early Friday. Fire officials reported no injuries among the group, which included a pregnant woman.

Crews were called to the building on North Michigan Avenue around 12:30 a.m. and were told a group of people had left the Signature Room but their express elevator had quit running before reaching the ground floor. The elevator was in a "blind shaft" with no openings firefighters could use to reach it.
“We didn’t know what their location was at that time,” Battalion Chief Patrick Maloney told reporters.

They finally located the elevator near the 11th floor. At least two of its cables were broken but safety systems were in place. “It’s not in an unsafe situation,” Maloney explained.

Still, “it was a pretty precarious situation” to get the people out, he said. “We had to breach a brick wall.”

Crews hoisted each person through the opening. One woman was pregnant. One person had a history of panic attacks. But no one appeared to be in any medical distress, he said.

“They were very gracious,” Maloney said. “They were from out of town, visiting this great city.”
=========================
CTBUH

Zapatan Nov 21, 2018 3:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chris08876 (Post 8382262)
Six Tourists Rescued After Being Stuck in 875 N. Michigan Elevator in Chicago

Another article I saw on Google News made it sound like they plunged 80+ stories AND were trapped in an elevator. That really sucks and always makes me wary of "safe" mechanics. This could have been a lot worse :uhh:

Mr Downtown Mar 8, 2019 7:25 PM

Opened 50 years ago today!

Opened as the world's second tallest building; now the 68th tallest.

Steely Dan Mar 8, 2019 7:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr Downtown (Post 8499495)
Opened 50 years ago today!

Opened as the world's second tallest building; now the 68th tallest.

if you include U/C towers, JHC doesn't even rank in the top 100 anymore according to the SSP database.

crazy to think about considering that it was the 6th tallest building on the planet for my entire childhood.

harryc Mar 8, 2019 8:01 PM

Some icing on that cake

Chicago | A cold Hancock by Harry Carmichael, on Flickr