SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   Manitoba & Saskatchewan (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=129)
-   -   Winnipeg | Forks Redevelopment | Parcel 4 - Rail Side Initiative | Proposals (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=217747)

WildCake Mar 28, 2022 3:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Highwayman (Post 9580829)
Look at how old this thread is now and all they have done is added some trees lol. It's not even thread worthy anymore. It reminds me of a certain tower that was to be the tallest. Or even Dreamscape.

I'll die an old geezer by the time I see those lot's turned into something. And seeing as Earls on the other side of the tracks is empty now. I'm sure that area will be built long before the Forks side.

Heck they should just move the EX to the Forks lol

Much like the U of M golfcourse redevlopment, these projects are being thoroughly thought through and the many stakeholders' voices are being considered.

These aren't Waverley Wests or Amber Trails were one group of like-minded developers strongarm the city into building suburbs filled with copy paste housing. They have to make sure that it fits with the current and future of these sites amd surrounding city whereas suburban developers just take their money and run to the next greenfield.

OTA in Winnipeg Mar 28, 2022 7:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WildCake (Post 9580873)
Much like the U of M golfcourse redevlopment, these projects are being thoroughly thought through and the many stakeholders' voices are being considered.

These aren't Waverley Wests or Amber Trails were one group of like-minded developers strongarm the city into building suburbs filled with copy paste housing. They have to make sure that it fits with the current and future of these sites amd surrounding city whereas suburban developers just take their money and run to the next greenfield.

I totally read/heard that like it was Maggie Smith saying it. LMAO

T'Cona Mar 28, 2022 4:39 PM

I think this has been in the planning stages for too long. Yes, it needs to be done right, but, it shouldn't take this long.

Highwayman Mar 28, 2022 7:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WildCake (Post 9580873)

It's been a parking lot for almost 40 year's. It's had about 20 plans thrown at it. This is called the city cannot find anyone to invest in it. Except the one idea of a sub par hotel and waterpark. I still remember when I was going to be the home of the Jets in 1996!!!!!

bomberjet Mar 28, 2022 7:56 PM

I quite like having a downtown arena sans giant parking lots dedicated to the arena. I wouldn't mind if there was an arena on parcel 4, again if it was sans giant parking lots and spurred other entertainment based things.

Hoping for tings to happen soon with Railside and that it doesn't turn into a suburbanized version of the current plan. Which IMO borders on suburbanized already. But I think the conept in general is good and hope it works out.

WildCake Mar 28, 2022 11:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Highwayman (Post 9581410)
It's been a parking lot for almost 40 year's. It's had about 20 plans thrown at it. This is called the city cannot find anyone to invest in it. Except the one idea of a sub par hotel and waterpark. I still remember when I was going to be the home of the Jets in 1996!!!!!

The forks renewal company is investing...just making sure its a good investment.

The site went from a railyard in the 80s to the market it is now. I'm personally glad they didn't build a knee-jerk arena or water park that would have completely changed the character of the historic site. Or do anything out of desperation in Winnipeg's downturn of the 90s and early 00s.

There's plenty of room in this city for arenas and waterparks. The Forks is its own unique destination and should be developed accordingly.

GreyGarden Jun 16, 2022 8:13 PM

Edit.

Hecate Jun 17, 2022 1:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WildCake (Post 9581754)
The forks renewal company is investing...just making sure its a good investment.

The site went from a railyard in the 80s to the market it is now. I'm personally glad they didn't build a knee-jerk arena or water park that would have completely changed the character of the historic site. Or do anything out of desperation in Winnipeg's downturn of the 90s and early 00s.

There's plenty of room in this city for arenas and waterparks. The Forks is its own unique destination and should be developed accordingly.

I agree, this area desperately needs condos for rich people. The city is clearly running out of space for the endangered condo. We don’t need green space with trees and grass and maybe a soccer pitch or something else so the poorer local residents of downtown can use it and enjoy. It needs condos! Nothing livens up an area like condos. So glad the forks sold off a money making asset to fund geothermal for private condos on public land. Best decision evaaaahhh!

wags_in_the_peg Jun 17, 2022 1:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hecate (Post 9652484)
I agree, this area desperately needs condos for rich people. The city is clearly running out of space for the endangered condo. We don’t need green space with trees and grass and maybe a soccer pitch or something else so the poorer local residents of downtown can use it and enjoy. It needs condos! Nothing livens up an area like condos. So glad the forks sold off a money making asset to fund geothermal for private condos on public land. Best decision evaaaahhh!

are you just having a bad day or have you never travelled outside of your basement? having residential at the Forks is something that should've happened a long time ago. a few 100 residents (or more) is exactly what the area needs to get more eyes on the street, bodies in the restaurants & stores. It's then called a community. for the past few decades it's been a gravel parking lot, no grass, trees or soccer pitches were or will be harmed during this.

the only disappointed is how long it's taking to reveal what they are building there. other developments (like the fantastic new one in OV) take a year or so of design then break ground, this one has been at least 5 yrs since we first started hearing about it.

Biff Jun 17, 2022 3:02 PM

All the developers are ready to go. They are all waiting on The Forks to get their act together and put in the required site services. Geothermal was installed last year.

I assume the wait is due to the challenge of deciding who pays for the site services - The Forks, City, Province, Feds? Likely a combination of all, hence the delays.

trueviking Jun 17, 2022 4:53 PM

Quote:

I think its funny when people use the word 'condo' to mean something evil. A condo is just a type of ownership no different than a house. Replace the word 'condo' in this rant with the word 'housing' and see how it changes.

"Nothing livens up an area like condos" becomes "Nothing livens up an area like housing"

suddenly you are right.....housing means people....even when they own their housing like in a condominium structure, it just means people.

the housing being planned at railside is mostly rental apartments....some student, some affordable, some condominium, but mostly rental apartments.

There is loooooots of greenspace for local residents....the problem is there are very few local residents....that's kind of the entire point.....

What money making asset did the forks sell to build geothermal?

cllew Jun 17, 2022 5:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trueviking (Post 9652699)
I think its funny when people use the word 'condo' to mean something evil. A condo is just a type of ownership no different than a house. Replace the word 'condo' in this rant with the word 'housing' and see how it changes.

"Nothing livens up an area like condos" becomes "Nothing livens up an area like housing"

suddenly you are right.....housing means people....even when they own their housing like in a condominium structure, it just means people.

the housing being planned at railside is mostly rental apartments....some student, some affordable, some condominium, but mostly rental apartments.

There is loooooots of greenspace for local residents....the problem is there are very few local residents....that's kind of the entire point.....

What money making asset did the forks sell to build geothermal?

Maybe he is thinking of the proposed sale of the Portage Place parking structure?

thebasketballgeek Jun 17, 2022 5:55 PM

Quote:

https://i.imgur.com/LTDQoN8.jpg

Do you want those “rich” people to move to the edge of the city like Winnipeg has been incentivizing since WW2 instead of living in Downtown where their lives aren’t subsidized because of the costs of urban sprawl?

Furthermore, I despise the misconception that condos are unaffordable when in reality not only are they cheaper to build per unit, but Condos purchasing power tend to depreciate as they age because well the condo owner doesn’t actually own the land on the site like they would in a single-family house. Let’s not forget about the environmental benefits and energy efficiency that dense housing provides that a single-family house could never.

There’s a $155k difference between the average single-family house and condo in Winnipeg. Not only that but single-family houses have been appreciating at a far faster rate then condos so this disparity will only get worse. With all this information you dare say building Condos is only for the rich?

Come on bro let’s not live in a fools world.

trueviking Jun 17, 2022 6:38 PM

That’s a great point. I was looking at a nice 700 sf condo on Wellington Crescent near River for $170k. Think about what kind of house you can buy for that.

wags_in_the_peg Jun 17, 2022 6:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trueviking (Post 9652839)
That’s a great point. I was looking at a nice 700 sf condo on Wellington Crescent near River for $170k. Think about what kind of house you can buy for that.

i thought about that $170k house... and now I need to shower.

dmacc Jun 17, 2022 6:59 PM

I don't like the comparison of rent vs. condo Mortgage in the bottom left of that graph. Condo's require a mortgage and the payment of Condo fee's. In addition to this, generally* rentals include more utilities then condos such as water, heat, electricity.

*Generally is meant to mean that there are exceptions to this but on a marco level, more utilities are offered to rentals then condos.

michelleb Jun 18, 2022 1:32 AM

Some people look at any new apartment complex and assume it's condos, because they can't imagine rentals that don't look like something built in the 1970s. But they'd never guess those identical detached single family houses with a garage off a semi-gated street entrance are condos.

Personally I think the condo model is a scam and bad for the owner-residents, but that's not a problem for the neighbourhood. And this is literally being built on garbage surface parking.

zalf Jun 18, 2022 1:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by michelleb (Post 9653233)
Some people look at any new apartment complex and assume it's condos, because they can't imagine rentals that don't look like something built in the 1970s.

With respect to MURBs, thank you for putting to words something that I've felt but couldn't articulate. I keep having the experience of renting, being told I should buy like a real adult, then showing off my place and getting the reaction of "oh, this is actually nice".

Quote:

Originally Posted by michelleb (Post 9653233)
Personally I think the condo model is a scam and bad for the owner-residents, but that's not a problem for the neighbourhood. And this is literally being built on garbage surface parking.

I disagree, but am open to and interested in your argument.

canucklehead2 Jun 18, 2022 3:02 PM

Concord Pacific meets Winnipeg please! Towers towers towers!

Hecate Jun 19, 2022 6:37 PM

Lol… we could turn these lots back to green space and expand the forks into one of the best urban parks in North America… instead we get railside. is this really the best we can do… look how lively waterfront drive is with all those added rentals and condos. It’s Just bustling with shops and restos. Maybe waterfront would have fared better if it had publicly funded geothermal heating too.