SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   Manitoba & Saskatchewan (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=129)
-   -   sick of "alberta representing western canada" (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=149169)

thurmas Apr 11, 2008 1:01 AM

sick of "alberta representing western canada"

I know the albertans here won't like what I have to say but like me are you tired of the media in general portraying alberta as western canada and western canadian values. I mean Alberta is only 1/3 of western canada yet it seems to get much more attention than B.C. who has a million more people and Manitoba and Saskatchewan. I just get annoyed of Albertans getting all high and mighty on their horse and trying to teach the rest of canada lessons and how much better life in alberta is, just wish they could be a bit more humble!

Ruckus Apr 11, 2008 6:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thurmas (Post 3476909)
I know the albertans here won't like what I have to say but like me are you tired of the media in general portraying alberta as western canada and western canadian values. I mean Alberta is only 1/3 of western canada yet it seems to get much more attention than B.C. who has a million more people and Manitoba and Saskatchewan. I just get annoyed of Albertans getting all high and mighty on their horse and trying to teach the rest of canada lessons and how much better life in alberta is, just wish they could be a bit more humble!

Politics is fun ;)

It may have 1/3 of Western Canada's population, but in the grand scheme of things that 1/3 has a large amount of wealth which can only increase in the coming years/decades (money=power=influence).

Yes, not all agree with how Alberta presents itself on the national and international stage, but Alberta has the will and a way to a better future, a future which fortunately includes the rest of Canada. I can only suggest that you consider future advice/criticism from Alberta and any other jurisdiction with the hope that some of it may prove useful in your humble province of Manitoba.

pegcityboy Apr 11, 2008 6:46 AM

Humble Province of Manitoba

Great now even Sask is getting arrogant just like their neighbour to the west whats next Saskatoon and Regina going to be half a million people each with more cranes than Alberta , lol

1ajs Apr 11, 2008 7:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pegcityboy (Post 3477595)
Great now even Sask is getting arrogant just like their neighbour to the west whats next Saskatoon and Regina going to be half a million people each with more cranes than Alberta , lol

what then that means when it reaches manitoba we will have 400 cranes in winnipeg? and 1.5 -2 million people????

Spocket Apr 11, 2008 12:57 PM

Why couldn't this question have been posed in the Canada section ?
I really don't have any problem with Alberta and I've never really noticed that province 'hogging the spotlight'. The spotlight is on Alberta for economic reasons and so it should be. I wouldn't say that it's representing western Canada by design but then , if the people of Toronto want to believe that we all follow Alberta's lead then why is that Alberta's fault ?

Tower Crane Apr 11, 2008 4:14 PM

Thurmas - Don't be Annoyed

Quote:

Originally Posted by thurmas (Post 3476909)

Your saying two different things here, Are we talking about Albertans getting high and mighty or the media portraying Albertans as high and mighty?
Since when is the media using Alberta as representation of Western Canadian views.
One thing I can honestly say about Alberta after relocating here 6 plus years ago. Compared to my 15 years working and living in the Peg, co-workers, people, and business in Alberta have that "can do attitude" which is something that I never experienced in all my years in Winnipeg.
Life in Alberta isn't all that different outside of more disposable income for bigger and better toys and less misquitoes.

IntotheWest Apr 11, 2008 5:04 PM

I can understand if folks get annoyed at always hearing about Alberta on their news - but that's not AB's fault at all...call and blame your local or national news source.

In fact, over the past year, we've heard PLENTY of stories here in Calgary about Sask ongoing boom and economic fortunes.

And I'm not sure about Western Canada sharing the same image...as much as I appreciate some "cowboy culture" roots, it still gets far more attention outside of AB than most folks in Calgary/AB really want. And that image seems to just strike AB and Calgary (rightfully so).

The Jabroni Apr 11, 2008 5:32 PM

Manitoba will get the next "big boom" out of all the other provinces.

All in good time...:whip:

Calgarian Apr 11, 2008 5:51 PM

How do you figure Alberta represents western Canada? I've never seen anything to support your arguments. Saskatchewan (New oil) and BC (Vancouver 2010) are getting more attention than Alberta right now.

vid Apr 11, 2008 6:10 PM

Manitoba can join Northern Ontario. Central Canada forever!!

Greco Roman Apr 11, 2008 6:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CB-MAN (Post 3478173)
Your saying two different things here, Are we talking about Albertans getting high and mighty or the media portraying Albertans as high and mighty?
Since when is the media using Alberta as representation of Western Canadian views.
One thing I can honestly say about Alberta after relocating here 6 plus years ago. Compared to my 15 years working and living in the Peg, co-workers, people, and business in Alberta have that "can do attitude" which is something that I never experienced in all my years in Winnipeg.
Life in Alberta isn't all that different outside of more disposable income for bigger and better toys and less misquitoes.

Sorry, gotta pull the plug on this statment, since in the last 3 years, Alberta has been waaaayyyy worse for misquitoes than Manitoba.

Calgarian Apr 11, 2008 6:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Greco Roman (Post 3478525)
Sorry, gotta pull the plug on this statment, since in the last 3 years, Alberta has been waaaayyyy worse for misquitoes than Manitoba.

Last year wasn't too bad. '05 was BRUTAL.

vid Apr 11, 2008 6:54 PM

We're getting less precipitation, so the mosquitoes have less opportunities to breed. I think I only saw 2 or 3 mosquitoes last summer, even down by the river there were none. It was kinda weird.

IntotheWest Apr 11, 2008 7:01 PM

I thought it was 06 that was brutal for mosquitos in Calgary? Same year as the flood, right?

I was working in Van most of the week, so any mosquitos back in Calgary seemed bad. But, generally, its much better here than Southern MB (Calgary I mean specifically...not sure elsewhere in the province).

Boris2k7 Apr 11, 2008 7:25 PM

I hardly saw any mosquitoes last year, but that's because there were swarms of dragonflies all summer. <3 <3 <3

thurmas Apr 11, 2008 8:55 PM

sorry let me clarify: I have nothing against alberta and albertans it's a great place and it has produced some great people ie:Bret Hart, Jarome Iginla ect... but when any greivance to western canada is shown in the media or any time western canadian anger is directed to eastern canada the media goes straight to alberta to ask for "the average westerner's view" even though western canada is 10 million people not just the 3.4 million in alberta.My beef goes to the media in Canada not the people.

IntotheWest Apr 11, 2008 9:02 PM

^Right. And most of that "media" is located in Toronto. Can't help that.

But, I think to further clarify your example - and point to the overuse and abuse of the statement in your title, you should be pointing out specific samples...links, snippets, new sources, etc - and dates on those.

Just add it to the list of other "sick of" titles that you could come up with.

Ayreonaut Apr 11, 2008 9:05 PM

There's some truth to that.

I never noticed at home because I expect local news to have local people. But in Yorkton I'm getting Regina news and they were interviewing Calgarians about their thoughts on gas prices.

h0twired Apr 11, 2008 9:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Jabroni (Post 3478375)
Manitoba will get the next "big boom" out of all the other provinces.

All in good time...:whip:

At which point Winnipeg will be nothing but a smoldering crater.

h0twired Apr 11, 2008 9:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Boris2k7 (Post 3478744)
I hardly saw any mosquitoes last year, but that's because there were swarms of dragonflies all summer. <3 <3 <3

No kidding. There were HUGE dragonfly swarms in my backyard all summer.