SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   Manitoba & Saskatchewan (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=129)
-   -   Perimeter Highway | Winnipeg (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=210164)

original2 Oct 12, 2022 5:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wpgstvsouth94 (Post 9757567)
I’m so done with this province. I’m considering moving for a better quality of life. They build 59/101 interchange than add wenzel lights. Now they are building the st Mary’s interchange than adding lights at Gunn. So done with this province…

MB could have saved the hundreds of millions by not building the 59/101 interchange and just built a mega at grade intersection like Sterling Lyon Pkwy/Rt 90. Seriously... What's the point of the massive 7 bridge interchange if 3km down you hit 2 at grade intersections back to back?

MB is 1 step forward, 5 steps back.

bomberjet Oct 12, 2022 7:01 PM

Sorry fixing size now..

As a refresher. Below maps and links to the deisgn studies.

North Perimeter
https://engagemb.ca/north-perimeter-safety-review
https://i.imgur.com/FNJrlSHh.jpg

South Perimeter
https://www.gov.mb.ca/mit/hpd/pth100...nal_report.pdf
https://i.imgur.com/wvSx4VUh.jpg

original2 Oct 12, 2022 8:54 PM

Potential future interchange at Wenzel and Gunn. I predict that will get built in 2090, maybe 2100.

Anyone else notice that before they re-did 101 and Dugald Rd, they already had the eastern ramps along with the western ramp that was in use for forever? Unreal that they never did a proper interchange here, seems like low hanging fruit since the construction detour was in place for all those years...
https://i.imgur.com/CBGkzz2.jpg

esquire Oct 12, 2022 9:37 PM

I wonder how that interchange would have worked as planned in the 1990s? Folded diamond (the ramps seem a bit short for that)? Or a regular diamond with overpasses for the on/off ramps to the north? Or just a regular diamond with at-grade railway crossings for the on/off ramps to the north?

harls Oct 12, 2022 9:42 PM

I like these plans, but unless they actually take action this shit is all pie-in-the-sky. Winnipeg may as well be planning for 1989 "back to the future II" shit at this point.

When did I turn into rrskylar?

YWG-RO Oct 12, 2022 9:42 PM

59, Gunn, and 15 / railway.

esquire Oct 12, 2022 9:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by harls (Post 9758596)
I like these plans, but unless they actually take action this shit is all pie-in-the-sky. Winnipeg may as well be planning for 1989 "back to the future II" shit at this point.

When did I turn into rrskylar?

It will all happen someday! :)

We'll just all be dead by the time it does :(

harls Oct 12, 2022 9:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by esquire (Post 9758599)
It will all happen someday! :)

We'll just all be dead by the time it does :(

I am hoping for a futurama head!

dmacc Oct 13, 2022 1:57 PM

Does anyone here know the benefits or draw backs between a Parclo (AB/A4) and diamond interchanges (regular/Divergent)?

I still struggle to envision how a divergent is beneficial when it still requires the same amount of light standards. Feels like over complicating a simple solution.

Parclo's also seem to take up a lot of space and still require 2 light standards. I guess some on off traffic can avoid stopping in some instances.

bomberjet Oct 13, 2022 2:08 PM

Video on diverging diamond. Basically it removes all cross traffic (left) turns. And replaces them with just the more regular 4 way intersection. Deemed to be safer and why they are becoming more popular. Downfall is they can be confusing to people.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Je7Ke26TWIY&t=95s

Parclos are similar to diamonds, except the 2 loops remove those left turn movements across traffic. Leaving 2, instead of 4 left turns as with regular diamonds.

All of them will probably require traffic signals like you mentioned. Depending upon the minor roads traffic volumes.

Interchanges are all about the left turns. Safest, but most expensive, are stack interchanges. Or interchanges with just mainline directional ramps (spaghetti interchanges).

bomberjet Oct 13, 2022 2:21 PM

To add. The round abouts that are being installed on the ramps, where the traffic signals would be, are an effort to make those locations safer.

CoryB Oct 13, 2022 5:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by YWG-RO (Post 9758597)
59, Gunn, and 15 / railway.

Said it many a times. Some 30+ years ago the province publicly acknowledged that HWY 15 between the Perimeter and 206 was well beyond capacity for a two lane highway. Due to complex site logistics of the current location and the destination/origin of a significant volume of the traffic a public consultation was done on possible alternative routes for HWY 15 relocated to the north. I believe the study was called the Oakbank corridor. This would mirror what happened with the twinning of HWY 59 or more recently Inkster between HWY 7 and the Perimeter. The floods of the late 90s and a change in government iced those plans at that stage.

All that is important to the Gunn Rd and HWY 15/CN main line at the Perimeter as they are all directly related as is the eastern extension of CPT. The eastern leg of CPT would essentially replace Gunn Rd as an access street to the Perimeter from Plessis east. But the long term vision would see CPT not only replace Gunn Rd at the Perimeter but that the route would cross the Floodway and continue on the the relocated and twinned HWY 15 (aka Oakbank Corridor).

The long planned relocation of HWY15 described above plays hugely into the current situation at HWY 15/CN main line and the Perimeter as the future grade separation there is based around a more limited local access road than the major east-west route it is today. Due to the complex geography of the site a grade separated intersection would likely mean no west-north or south-east access at the interchange and even west-south could be extremely challenging. Based on these challenges it is very likely a future state would see the Perimeter fly over the current HWY 15 with no access between the two.

So until someone is willing to open the file back up on the whole HWY 15 twinning/relocation scenarios this is likely going to collect dust on someone's shelf much like the long discussed Headingley and St Norbert by pass projects.

PS the Oakbank Corridor, as proposed in the 90s, would also have drawn traffic from PR213 which has its own issues and deadly history.

PPS I haven't lived there in more than 20 years and go there less than once a year now so this doesn't benefit me at all. Just sharing insight into how the roads in that area are extremely dangerous, the public plans to address them and why some of the decisions that exist today in the area are being made the way they are.

WildCake Oct 13, 2022 8:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CoryB (Post 9759332)
Said it many a times. Some 30+ years ago the province publicly acknowledged that HWY 15 between the Perimeter and 206 was well beyond capacity for a two lane highway. Due to complex site logistics of the current location and the destination/origin of a significant volume of the traffic a public consultation was done on possible alternative routes for HWY 15 relocated to the north. I believe the study was called the Oakbank corridor. This would mirror what happened with the twinning of HWY 59 or more recently Inkster between HWY 7 and the Perimeter. The floods of the late 90s and a change in government iced those plans at that stage.

All that is important to the Gunn Rd and HWY 15/CN main line at the Perimeter as they are all directly related as is the eastern extension of CPT. The eastern leg of CPT would essentially replace Gunn Rd as an access street to the Perimeter from Plessis east. But the long term vision would see CPT not only replace Gunn Rd at the Perimeter but that the route would cross the Floodway and continue on the the relocated and twinned HWY 15 (aka Oakbank Corridor).

The long planned relocation of HWY15 described above plays hugely into the current situation at HWY 15/CN main line and the Perimeter as the future grade separation there is based around a more limited local access road than the major east-west route it is today. Due to the complex geography of the site a grade separated intersection would likely mean no west-north or south-east access at the interchange and even west-south could be extremely challenging. Based on these challenges it is very likely a future state would see the Perimeter fly over the current HWY 15 with no access between the two.

So until someone is willing to open the file back up on the whole HWY 15 twinning/relocation scenarios this is likely going to collect dust on someone's shelf much like the long discussed Headingley and St Norbert by pass projects.

PS the Oakbank Corridor, as proposed in the 90s, would also have drawn traffic from PR213 which has its own issues and deadly history.

PPS I haven't lived there in more than 20 years and go there less than once a year now so this doesn't benefit me at all. Just sharing insight into how the roads in that area are extremely dangerous, the public plans to address them and why some of the decisions that exist today in the area are being made the way they are.

Thanks for all that CoryB. One thing I'm not sure in your post is why they would flyover HWY 15 over Perimeter. A folded diamond (with longer ramps than are currently "mounded") could do very well. There are lights 600m to the west and 1.5km to the east and HWY 15 isn't some super 2 highway in the making. Likewise it's the only potential access point between Gunn and Fermor so that's a bit of a stretch to close that off from Perimeter

This Oakbank corridor would likely be a two lane highway much like 15 is currently and would likely halve the traffic on 15 since it would be diverting most vehicles from Oakbank. I doubt it would be 4 lanes outside of the Perimeter.

bomberjet Oct 13, 2022 9:19 PM

https://www.winnipegfreepress.com/br...-to-the-future

This article talks a bit about it. The map also shows the Selkirk corridor, which is sometimes talked about and is a connection of PTH 8 (undergoing the study right now) to HWY 9 at Selkirk.

I actually think the Selkirk corridor is reasonable since Selkirk is a decent sized city and is underserved (4 lane divided hwy) compared to the other Cities in the south.

https://www.winnipegfreepress.com/wp...228.jpg?w=1000

esquire Oct 13, 2022 9:30 PM

So 6 places outside of the Perimeter where an interchange might get built sometime in the not too distant future. I guess 7 if you include 1 & 16, which is outside of that map limited to the capital region. I wonder if there any other potential sites on the front burner, or is that all?

bomberjet Oct 13, 2022 9:42 PM

1/16 getting a roundabout.
1/Elie no comments here. Seems like one location on an endless list for PTH 1.
1/deacon is just finishing up reconstruction. nothing coming there.
59/birds hill road was just finished up as part of the recent interchange project. Nothing coming there.
59/Garven and 59/4 are reasonable locations.
7/67 seems way down the list, but is reasonable as the only major turn in Stonewall and the quarry.

This planning commission seems to have cherry picked some of the top locations. But I don't think anything is really happening with this plan. Just another long term guideline.

esquire Oct 13, 2022 9:48 PM

^ I refuse to believe that 1/16 will become a roundabout. At some point someone is going to inject some sanity into that decision and convince the powers that be to build a proper interchange.

bomberjet Oct 13, 2022 9:49 PM

haha i hope. I haven't heard much about since Brian P announced it.

CoryB Oct 14, 2022 5:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WildCake (Post 9759562)
Thanks for all that CoryB. One thing I'm not sure in your post is why they would flyover HWY 15 over Perimeter. A folded diamond (with longer ramps than are currently "mounded") could do very well. There are lights 600m to the west and 1.5km to the east and HWY 15 isn't some super 2 highway in the making. Likewise it's the only potential access point between Gunn and Fermor so that's a bit of a stretch to close that off from Perimeter

This Oakbank corridor would likely be a two lane highway much like 15 is currently and would likely halve the traffic on 15 since it would be diverting most vehicles from Oakbank. I doubt it would be 4 lanes outside of the Perimeter.

I had actually said the Perimeter would be the over route at HWY 15. The Perimeter is obviously going to be the over route for the CN main line and the close proximity to HWY 15 means the Perimeter is likely raised to cross both similar the the CP line and Saskatchewan Ave and the CentrePort overpass. With the tight spacing between the CN main line and HWY 15 ramps north of HWY 15 would be challenging without their own bridges over rail line. And the location of the cemetery of the southwest makes ramps there very challenging too as moving a cemetery to make way for an interchange is likely a non-starter. If the bulk of the HWY 15 traffic is moved several KM north though to the new route access to and from the current HWY 15 becomes less important making it possible to completely remove access between the two routes, again similar to what happened with Saskatchewan Ave.

Also keep in mind that the reason there is currently not any major access points to the Perimeter between HWY 15 and HWY 1E (Fermor) as most of the land west of the floodway is currently undeveloped while the Perimeter is effectively right up on the floodway on the east side. Further just east of the floodway in the area are the Winnipeg water retention ponds, aka where your tap water comes from after if leaves Shoal Lake so it is an area unlikely to be further developed.

Also memories are fairly distant and everything could be different now but I recall the previous proposal specifically planned for the Oakbank Corridor to be a four lane road from the start. The traffic volume of HWY 15 is far too high for a two lane high speed road and PR213, the only real alternate, has its own challenges with with the commercial truck traffic and limited visibility entry and exit points.

Something else to keep in mind is the RM of Springfield has a major fire station in the town of Oakbank and is also responsible for fire service in the industrial area on Gunn Rd. Yes they have another station over there but the Oakbank corridor route would make it significantly quicker to dispatch additional fire equipment from Oakbank to Gunn Rd or vice-versa when needed.

Another factor to keep in mind is that this route is of some importance to the RM of Springfield which is very consistently an area that votes Conservative. Not saying it is how projects should be prioritized but unfortunately we see all too often political interference happens in decision making. Time will tell I guess.

bomberjet Oct 14, 2022 5:46 PM

Politicking is most definitely the reason nothing happened with 15 and Oakbank corridor.