SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   Manitoba & Saskatchewan (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=129)
-   -   Perimeter Highway | Winnipeg (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=210164)

Dengler Avenue Dec 14, 2019 5:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by YWG-RO (Post 8775917)
RCMP member killed yesterday at 1630 in head on collision near 101 and 7. Tragic

Tragic indeed. How do you know it was head-on though? To me it sounds more like someone failed to move over. We will see as details come out.

YWG-RO Dec 14, 2019 5:56 PM

Today 101 EB just past 204 completely closed. All traffic diverting on Henderson to CPT to Lag. At least one semi and a vehicle involved. Unsure of injuries.

cllew Dec 14, 2019 11:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dengler Avenue (Post 8775998)
Tragic indeed. How do you know it was head-on though? To me it sounds more like someone failed to move over. We will see as details come out.

From the RCMP web site On Perimeter HWY east of Hwy 7 a Pickup truck going east crossed the median and hit constable Poapst's vehicle which was going west.

Dengler Avenue Dec 15, 2019 4:54 AM

What was the weather like when the crash happens? Perimeter Highway is effectively a super-4 right now.

DavefromSt.Vital Dec 15, 2019 5:01 AM

The median there is a few feet of grass. Hate to say it, but put in a concrete barrier to redirect errant vehicles and this would not have happened.

LilZebra Dec 15, 2019 6:20 AM

Maybe his untimely death will encourage the Manitoba gov't to speed up improving the Perimeter Hwy. to freeway standards so stuff like this is less likely to happen.

I don't know him, but just going by his photo, he seemed like a nice man.

Dengler Avenue Dec 15, 2019 6:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LilZebra (Post 8776486)
Maybe his untimely death will encourage the Manitoba gov't to speed up improving the Perimeter Hwy. to freeway standards so stuff like this is less likely to happen.

I don't know him, but just going by his photo, he seemed like a nice man.

I sure hope so. A death like this definitely hits the surviving family hard though. I can’t help but recall a recent incident on Malahat Drive (B.C. Highway 1 on the Island) where a newly wedded sewage truck driver was killed.

Corndogger Dec 15, 2019 8:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DavefromSt.Vital (Post 8776439)
The median there is a few feet of grass. Hate to say it, but put in a concrete barrier to redirect errant vehicles and this would not have happened.

Cable barrier would be much better.

Dengler Avenue Dec 15, 2019 12:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Corndogger (Post 8776525)

I know that it has proven to work on ON-401 between London and Chatham-Kent, but that’s because there’s at least 15 meters of grassy median. I don’t know the threshold, but anything less than 10 meters might not work.

cllew Dec 15, 2019 8:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dengler Avenue (Post 8776438)
What was the weather like when the crash happens? Perimeter Highway is effectively a super-4 right now.

Highway was reported to be slippery so the Pickup driver may have been going too fast for conditions.

Corndogger Dec 15, 2019 10:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dengler Avenue (Post 8776541)
I know that it has proven to work on ON-401 between London and Chatham-Kent, but that’s because there’s at least 15 meters of grassy median. I don’t know the threshold, but anything less than 10 meters might not work.

They're used in Alberta as well and in areas with less than a 10 meter median. Apparently they have a very good track record here. In the summer the province started installing 65 km. worth along the 201 in Calgary and it's only going to cost $3.5 million. Seems like an effective and cheap cost for Manitoba if they install the right type of cable barrier and do it correctly.

https://calgaryherald.com/news/local...n-stoney-trail

rrskylar Dec 15, 2019 10:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cllew (Post 8776258)
From the RCMP web site On Perimeter HWY east of Hwy 7 a Pickup truck going east crossed the median and hit constable Poapst's vehicle which was going west.

Chalk up another death to a poorly designed roadway without a centre barrier!

St. Cloud to Minneapolis on I-94 has a cable barrier pretty much the whole way to avoid this type of accident!

rrskylar Dec 15, 2019 10:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Corndogger (Post 8776525)

Saw your post after I posted, cable barrier should be (should have been) in place along the perimeter decades ago!

esquire Dec 16, 2019 2:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rrskylar (Post 8776839)
Saw your post after I posted, cable barrier should be (should have been) in place along the perimeter decades ago!

This is the kind of no-brainer stuff that should have been placed on the Perimeter decades ago. I mean, fair enough if there's no money for interchanges at every junction but something like this seems like it would be a minor expense in the context of the highways department budget.

The tributes to Cst. Poapst were heartbreaking, he left behind three teenage daughters and sounded like just an absolute gem of a guy.

rrskylar Dec 16, 2019 2:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by esquire (Post 8777118)
This is the kind of no-brainer stuff that should have been placed on the Perimeter decades ago. I mean, fair enough if there's no money for interchanges at every junction but something like this seems like it would be a minor expense in the context of the highways department budget.

The tributes to Cst. Poapst were heartbreaking, he left behind three teenage daughters and sounded like just an absolute gem of a guy.

:cheers:

esquire Dec 16, 2019 3:27 PM

Deleted comment about Steve Ashton

bomberjet Dec 16, 2019 3:29 PM

This is why the median is being widened on the south perimeter. To allow space for vehicles to run off in the ditch. Otherwise they're installing a median barrier. Such as between Pembina and St. Mary's where the right of way is narrow.

Dengler Avenue Dec 16, 2019 4:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bomberjet (Post 8777165)
This is why the median is being widened on the south perimeter. To allow space for vehicles to run off in the ditch. Otherwise they're installing a median barrier. Such as between Pembina and St. Mary's where the right of way is narrow.

I guess I overlooked that part of the design. IMO, for 6 lanes or more, the highway should simply have a concrete median plus some left shoulder, instead of a wide median.

Biff Dec 16, 2019 4:10 PM

I personally like the cable barrier better. It allows for blowing snow to pass across the highway, rather than accumulate on the other side of the barrier.

bomberjet Dec 16, 2019 4:15 PM

On a semi-related note. I believe there is an RFP out for the 59N over floodway bridge. Had some inquiries which related to that area of the highway. The Province is rebuilding that one with some innovative solution they touted in a presser recently.