SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   San Antonio (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=447)
-   -   {SA} Old Joske's building sold, downtown Dillard's to close... Great news inside! (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=152309)

alexjon Jun 6, 2008 6:29 PM

The awning. It's _kinda_ gone

sakyle04 Jun 9, 2008 1:21 PM

from: http://blogs.mysanantonio.com/weblog...r_mall_an.html

Changes at Rivercenter mall and Joske's

Before you read any further, take a moment to check out this article so you're up to speed about what's going on at Rivercenter mall and the Joske's building.

Okay, now that you're caught up, proceed.

Another aspect about the mall that's worth mentioning is that a San Antonio company, SA Partnership, is handling all the design and architecture for the mall and Joske's renovations.

"The first phase is to bring in the restaurants and bars along the lagoon," said Frank Valadez, managing partner at SA Partnership. "We're going to be starting on the east side first so we don't block off the entire access to the River Walk. The second phase is the redevelopment of the Joske's building. The owner wants to turn that into a total destination place of retail and entertainment. Phase three will possibly be some vertical development of a hotel. Some people are interested in adding hotel space there."

SA Partnership began working with the Rivercenter mall owner, Ashkenazy Acquisition Corp., when it bought the mall in 2005. Since then, the architecture firm has become the company of choice to design malls for Ashkenazy.

Valadez said the first phase will begin sometime this summer. Locally based Guido Brothers Construction Co. is the general contractor on the project.

The new lagoon plans call for five lease spaces, one of which will be a Fogo de Chao Brazilian steakhouse. The other four leases are in negotiations now.

"There are several that are in line that want to be part of it," Valadez said. "There are several that are jockeying for those four remaining locations."

— Creighton A. Welch

http://i195.photobucket.com/albums/z...d058980b-1.jpg

http://i195.photobucket.com/albums/z.../flores500.jpg

sirkingwilliam Jun 9, 2008 11:20 PM

Downtown is slowly but surely headed into the right direction. The transformation of Rivercenter Mall from a tourist hot spot/trap into a entertainment destination with high-end dining and a high rise should be a big draw not only for downtown residents, core residents and tourists but also the entire city.

J.Dskyhigh Jun 11, 2008 5:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sirkingwilliam (Post 3603084)
Downtown is slowly but surely headed into the right direction. The transformation of Rivercenter Mall from a tourist hot spot/trap into a entertainment destination with high-end dining and a high rise should be a big draw not only for downtown residents, core residents and tourists but also the entire city.

Uh seeing the fogo de chao sign above where the sign rivercenter hangs made me feel sad cause Idk the history and all the times u walk into the entrence.Uh Idk it just shows U never know what u have until your about to lose it i guess.:(

austlar1 Jun 12, 2008 9:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alexjon (Post 3595339)
Yep!

They're so nice inside. The lobby in the Portland Ace is really amazing. They used an old door for a table and threw in a nice (not-so-)cheap coffee shop in there. $8 latte + gigantic table and talking to strangers? Perfect.

Looks like the flop house in Drug Store Cowboy where William Burroughs and Matt Dillon lived.
Actually, I just googled it, and the lovely Ace IS the flophouse where Drug Store Cowboy was partially filmed.

sakyle04 Jul 30, 2008 8:56 PM

anybody have any news or hearing anything about this project?

it is (was) supposed to begin "summer 2008"...

alexjon Jul 30, 2008 9:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by austlar1 (Post 3608807)
Looks like the flop house in Drug Store Cowboy where William Burroughs and Matt Dillon lived.
Actually, I just googled it, and the lovely Ace IS the flophouse where Drug Store Cowboy was partially filmed.

Expensive flophouse now!

Gonna be staying in one of the buildings that the film was shot in and will eat at the Nob Hill Pharmacy. Will not rob it, however.

sirkingwilliam Aug 5, 2008 5:42 AM

Rumor has it that AAC is looking to buy out Macy's as well.

Man, they're really serious about this transformation if that's the case.

Also, AAC owns the parking lot across from the Crockett Street garage.

oldmanshirt Aug 5, 2008 12:12 PM

Wow, is Macy's not high-end enough for them? Surely they aren't trying to bring a Nordstrom or something like that downtown. Shoot, does Dallas even have a downtown Nordstrom?

Anyway, before I get ahead of myself, is this thing even gonna begin construction anytime soon?

sakyle04 Aug 5, 2008 1:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oldmanshirt (Post 3715186)
Wow, is Macy's not high-end enough for them? Surely they aren't trying to bring a Nordstrom or something like that downtown. Shoot, does Dallas even have a downtown Nordstrom?

Anyway, before I get ahead of myself, is this thing even gonna begin construction anytime soon?

maybe they need Macy's space in order to construct their new 40-story luxury hotel...? :)

oldmanshirt Aug 5, 2008 2:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sakyle04 (Post 3715258)
maybe they need Macy's space in order to construct their new 40-story luxury hotel...? :)

That would be quite a hotel, last I heard it would be replacing the Commerce St. garage. It does seem like the Macy's and the empty lot next to the Macy's would be a better spot, though that would make four high-rise hotels all in a line, which might look kind of odd.

sakyle04 Aug 5, 2008 3:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oldmanshirt (Post 3715373)
That would be quite a hotel, last I heard it would be replacing the Commerce St. garage. It does seem like the Macy's and the empty lot next to the Macy's would be a better spot, though that would make four high-rise hotels all in a line, which might look kind of odd.

you are really making me work for this one...

maybe their plans are to include two 40 story towers. a hotel where the commerce garage is and a residential tower called the "macyview heights".

oldmanshirt Aug 5, 2008 3:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sakyle04 (Post 3715472)
you are really making me work for this one...

maybe their plans are to include two 40 story towers. a hotel where the commerce garage is and a residential tower called the "macyview heights".

That would definitely compliment the "Days Inn San Antonio Downtown Resort and Conference Center in the Riverwalk Vicinity" :tup:

sakyle04 Aug 5, 2008 9:22 PM

Dillards is closing for good on Thursday!!!

Looks like work is about to really get started...

Read the story on the MySA Downtown blog:
http://blogs.mysanantonio.com/weblog...hursday_1.html

sirkingwilliam Aug 13, 2008 4:07 AM

I was given some slight details today about this redevelopment and if what I was told does happen, keep it mind I was told it's very tentative however very, then we are in for something special. There has been a major change from the original three phase plan first presented for Rivercenter Mall. That's the reason the Dillard's was bought and the reason Macy's will soon be bought out as well, because the owner/developer AAC wants to go big time with the mall. I'm talking about something that will change the downtown landscape like never before.

I didn't get specifics like building heights as that's either yet to be determined or if it has been hasn't been released yet.

But from what I was told, expect TWO towers! One a hotel the other either hotel/residential combo or residential by itself.

Let's keep our fingers crossed.

ydoc14 Aug 13, 2008 4:38 AM

:slob: :notacrook: :banana:

sirkingwilliam Aug 13, 2008 4:40 AM

Correction:

keep it mind I was told it's very tentative however very likely*

ydoc14 Aug 13, 2008 4:58 AM

I wonder if AAC would be interested in knowing the height of the Marriott Rivercenter for comparative reasons. SKW, if you have the connections, suggest that they send out a surveyor to get the height, ok? :D

sakyle04 Aug 13, 2008 1:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sirkingwilliam (Post 3731939)
But from what I was told, expect TWO towers! One a hotel the other either hotel/residential combo or residential by itself.

We can only hope. Now, what have you been told about timelines...?

oldmanshirt Aug 13, 2008 1:37 PM

Wow, I can't wait to hear more details!