SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   Manitoba & Saskatchewan (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=129)
-   -   Winnipeg Retail (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=174131)

Biff Jul 10, 2014 8:39 PM

MEXX will have a store in the new wing of Polo Park.

Authentic_City Jul 10, 2014 8:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Biff (Post 6649651)
MEXX will have a store in the new wing of Polo Park.

So they are moving again? I notice they moved recently to space across from Forever 21 -- is this just a temporary move? I thought this space was a downgrade over their previous store -- smaller. Would be good if they moved back to a larger space upstairs.

horrorbro123 Jul 11, 2014 12:32 AM

Clarks Is Coming To St Vital Centre :)

pegcity Jul 11, 2014 4:23 AM

Didn't really go through the Garden City stuff, but I believe the Sears at Garden City is now a Sears liquidation location. I'm pretty sure that will soon close, they stopped fixing the outdoor signage, at night if you put the two signs together, they read, Sea Ear.

esquire Jul 11, 2014 4:42 AM

^ The Garden City Sears was turned into a clearance outlet in the early/mid-00s, then became a full-line store again, and now apparently it's back to being a clearance outlet?

horrorbro123 Jul 11, 2014 7:11 AM

When Landmark Theatre at Grant Park Shopping Centre Will Be Closed For Renovations?

Biff Jul 11, 2014 1:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Authentic_City (Post 6649660)
So they are moving again? I notice they moved recently to space across from Forever 21 -- is this just a temporary move? I thought this space was a downgrade over their previous store -- smaller. Would be good if they moved back to a larger space upstairs.

Their store space will be pretty big upstairs. It is on the Eddie Bauer side of the new wing as opposed to the centre court side.

cllew Jul 11, 2014 1:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by horrorbro123 (Post 6649919)
Clarks Is Coming To St Vital Centre :)

Wasn't Clarks in Winnipeg years ago, in the mall where PeavyMart is on Narin @ Panet? Or is this a different Clarks brand coming to St. Vital?

The one I am thinking of was sort of like a Zellers store when I was a kid in the 60's.

BubberMiley Jul 11, 2014 2:42 PM

You mean Clark's at Panet and Nairn has closed?
http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f1...ps0b3c83b1.jpg

Riverman Jul 11, 2014 3:37 PM

Great photo! Any of the Northgate one?

When it was built my parents stopped going downtown to shop.

cllew Jul 11, 2014 5:54 PM

That's exactly the Clark's I remember, then I think it changed to Gambles then Zellers.

esquire Jul 11, 2014 6:11 PM

^ First I've heard of that version of Clark's. Was that a local chain?

horrorbro123 Jul 11, 2014 7:20 PM

Clark's Is Shoe Store Will Open In September at St Vital Centre

cllew Jul 11, 2014 8:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by esquire (Post 6650912)
^ First I've heard of that version of Clark's. Was that a local chain?

Did a little looking and found this:

Clarks was owned by Gambles Canada.

Gambles Canada also owned at the time: Macleods Hardware, based in Winnipeg, MB, and Stedmans Department Stores out of Toronto. These companies survive and are owned by Rona.

Gambles Canada in turn was owned by Gamble-Skogmo out of the US who at one time was the 15th largest retailer in the United States with 4,300 stores and 26,000 employees in 39 states and Canada

vjose32 Jul 12, 2014 12:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Prairie boy (Post 6647410)
Another aspect of retail in Winnipeg that I find annoying (I suspect ignorance based on demographics--though perhaps it is reality) is the lack of development in the northwest, parts of the east (along Henderson, McPhillips, Main). Garden City is a disgusting, outdated mall offering very little. There is a lack of restaurants too.

I agree, I live in the area and it seems too many stores around here are shutting down.

These include Zellers at Northgate, IGA in Maples (soon), Safeway at Garden City Square (soon), Extra Foods on Main, Famous Players at Garden City, Bargain Shop/Red Apple/SAAN on McPhillips across from Garden City, and most of the restaurants including Red Lobster, The Feast, and Olive Garden/Branigans/whatever else it was. At the same time we had at least 2 new credit unions open in the area and I see them popping up all over the city, anyone else notice that? I wonder why.

Anyway I think that Garden City missed a good opportunity when the theatre and Petcetera both shut down, they could have gutted that area and expanded it with more stores. Instead the theatre is abandoned and Petcetera was replaced with Goodlife Fitness which has no mall entrance much like Petcetera, seems pretty odd to have something in the mall with no way to access it from the mall.

And I agree that it seems like the Sears there may close soon. Seems like they are going out of business completely anyway. Maybe a better store would help out the rest of the mall.

Would be great if Northgate got their act in gear and did something, anything, with the old Zellers store instead of having it sit there vacant. It's my understanding that they also have about 25,000 sq ft of space on the east side of the mall where Kmart used to be that has been vacant ever since Kmart left some 20 years ago!

If there is one thing this area has it's gyms, credit unions, and grocery stores, and not much else. Definitely not restaurants other than fast food places.

Sorry for the long rant, lol.

BTW, getting back to Polo Park, it is my understanding that H&M is supposed to open August 1st, but there seems to be a lot of work still left to go. Electrical, framing, drywall, painting, flooring, etc.

horrorbro123 Jul 12, 2014 4:10 AM

H&M Will Open In October

CoryB Jul 12, 2014 4:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vjose32 (Post 6651391)
Anyway I think that Garden City missed a good opportunity when the theatre and Petcetera both shut down, they could have gutted that area and expanded it with more stores. Instead the theatre is abandoned and Petcetera was replaced with Goodlife Fitness which has no mall entrance much like Petcetera, seems pretty odd to have something in the mall with no way to access it from the mall.

The Petcetera space had a mall entrance off the now demolished eastern wing. You can point at the loss of Eaton's and Beaver as the reason. The mall was desperate for a tenant to move in and demolished a significant portion of the north east corner to make way for a new-build of Canadian Tire.

It would seem the best thing that could happen is for Garden City to completely implode on itself and convert to big box stores set back as far as possible off Lelia. If the owner was willing to undertake that they could likely attract Target to replace Sears and keep the quality tenants in the mall.

esquire Jul 12, 2014 2:04 PM

^ Target could always end up going on the site of the to-be-shuttered Safeway on the other side of Leila.

bomberjet Jul 13, 2014 1:25 PM

http://www.winnipeg.ca/CLKDMIS/ViewD...onId=&InitUrl=

Public Hearing 1

Shops of Kildonan Mile is up for a zoning amendment for a max height increase to 35' from 25'. Shindico says a grocery store with mezzanine is planned for the site. Doesn't specifically mention who, but shows Whole Foods and another store as examples. So looks like it hasn't stalled out completely as of yet.

As an aside; it would seem to me if an interchange were ever put up at Lag and Reenders, that Olive Garden and part of Storageville who would be demolished.

cllew Jul 13, 2014 3:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bomberjet (Post 6652580)
http://www.winnipeg.ca/CLKDMIS/ViewD...onId=&InitUrl=

Public Hearing 1

Shops of Kildonan Mile is up for a zoning amendment for a max height increase to 35' from 25'. Shindico says a grocery store with mezzanine is planned for the site. Doesn't specifically mention who, but shows Whole Foods and another store as examples. So looks like it hasn't stalled out completely as of yet.

As an aside; it would seem to me if an interchange were ever put up at Lag and Reenders, that Olive Garden and part of Storageville who would be demolished.

There is land banked at Regent and Lag for an interchange. some of the parking lots there are leasing city land which makes its look like there is nothing planed for the future.

Because of that I don't think there will be an interchange at the intersection mentioned above.