SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   Manitoba & Saskatchewan (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=129)
-   -   Winnipeg Retail (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=174131)

Bdog Jul 5, 2014 2:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Prairie boy (Post 6642119)
Downtown retail, nay, upper end downtown retail can still exist. What needs to happen is the NDP must to be removed from Broadway, and a business friendly party get elected. The tax environment for business needs to be completely overhauled to increase investment in the province (mainly Winnipeg) to attract the higher paying jobs that will in turn attract and retain the people currently moving to Alberta who are the ones supporting the incredible revitalization of downtown Edmonton. The image of an economically depressed city is one that Winnipeg must shed.

Don't worry, once Pallister is in it'll only be a matter of time before Gucci, Versace and Louis Vitton open up on Portage!

I'm a fan of what's happening in Downtown Edmonton, but let's be serious here - the revitalization is being spurred on by enormous amounts of public subsidies and public investment (e.g. Hundreds of millions for the new arena, rail yard relocation, "revitalization levies", TIFs, LRT/infrastructure investments).

Prairie boy Jul 5, 2014 3:13 AM

Aside from the arena, the majority of developments here are not due to taxpayer money, that's Winnipeg. The downtown levy is for the benefit of the public (LRT, parks, infrastructure, etc).

The amount of private investment here is something Winnipeg will never see!

The province plays a huge role in Winnipeg's success or failure, and the NDP has been detrimental. The city needs better paying jobs, and more people moving to the city who will buy the condos that will fill surface lots, and better retailers will eventually open downtown.

CoryB Jul 8, 2014 12:47 AM

Destination Motherhood is poised to open soon (if not already) in Polo North next to Atmosphere.

It was also announced today that Hampton Inn will be the first tenant in WestPort Festival with a planned opening of summer 2015. WestPort is geared towards travelers and the early rendering of the site suggested three hotels and a number of pad sites for restaurants which will likely follow closely. Cora's, IHOP and Boston Pizza seem like the strongest candidates.

vjose32 Jul 8, 2014 2:41 AM

Not sure if it's been mentioned but apparently Teavana will be opening in the Zellers wing at Polo this fall.

h0twired Jul 8, 2014 4:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vjose32 (Post 6645136)
Not sure if it's been mentioned but apparently Teavana will be opening in the Zellers wing at Polo this fall.

I guess some people are loyal to certain brands, but it seems a bit redundant given the current places to get tea at Polo Park... also funny consider how close they will be to each other.

horrorbro123 Jul 8, 2014 4:09 PM

Well Maybe Bring Lids To Polo Park

CoryB Jul 8, 2014 5:20 PM

Not surprised to see Teavana open in Polo Park as Starbucks has long been a tenant there and opening their tea focused brand makes sense.

As for Lids, I thought there was a location in Polo Park about five years back now near center court.

bomberjet Jul 8, 2014 6:05 PM

Does Teavana actually sell single servings of tea? Be it hot or cold. I thought they were more of a retail outlet, as opposed to a restaurant style. I've bought a couple gifts at the KP location in the past. But never have went there to get a tea, like I would go to Starbucks to get a coffee.

CoryB Jul 8, 2014 8:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bomberjet (Post 6645879)
Does Teavana actually sell single servings of tea? Be it hot or cold. I thought they were more of a retail outlet, as opposed to a restaurant style. I've bought a couple gifts at the KP location in the past. But never have went there to get a tea, like I would go to Starbucks to get a coffee.

My understanding is that before the Starbucks acquisition Teavana did not sell a ready to drink cup however that is one of the focus areas of the plans for the company going forward.

horrorbro123 Jul 8, 2014 9:20 PM

When Expansion Location at Polo Park Will Be Finished?http://31.media.tumblr.com/eca664327...1sao1_1280.jpg :)

bomberjet Jul 8, 2014 9:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CoryB (Post 6646175)
My understanding is that before the Starbucks acquisition Teavana did not sell a ready to drink cup however that is one of the focus areas of the plans for the company going forward.

Oh cool. Thanks for the info! I'll have to stop in when it opens.

horrorbro123 Jul 9, 2014 4:12 AM

Can You Give Updated On Seasons Of Tuxedo & Will Starbucks Come To Seasons Of Tuxedo?

vjose32 Jul 9, 2014 4:33 AM

I think the expansion should mostly be done by October

horrorbro123 Jul 9, 2014 4:58 AM

Lets Hope H&M Will Be Open In October That Would Be Awesome :)

Prairie boy Jul 9, 2014 2:31 PM

What the city needs is better furniture stores. Pottery Barn, Crate & Barrel and Restoration Hardware would be wonderful. Another store which I love is Williams-Sonoma.

trebor204 Jul 9, 2014 3:23 PM

From what I can see, it looks the new strip mall at Seasons of Tuxedo has a 'Starbucks Green' background look for the new signage. I can see only see it from the bus.

CoryB Jul 9, 2014 3:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Prairie boy (Post 6647193)
What the city needs is better furniture stores. Pottery Barn, Crate & Barrel and Restoration Hardware would be wonderful. Another store which I love is Williams-Sonoma.

Sadly, the relative failure of Seasons of Tuxedo Phase 2 (south side, not including Ikea) likely means it will be a while before any of these appear in Winnipeg. Too bad as they could have been a good fit in Seasons of Tuxedo and made it more of a destination for those type of stores.

Prairie boy Jul 9, 2014 4:29 PM

Another aspect of retail in Winnipeg that I find annoying (I suspect ignorance based on demographics--though perhaps it is reality) is the lack of development in the northwest, parts of the east (along Henderson, McPhillips, Main). Garden City is a disgusting, outdated mall offering very little. There is a lack of restaurants too.

esquire Jul 9, 2014 4:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Prairie boy (Post 6647410)
Another aspect of retail in Winnipeg that I find annoying (I suspect ignorance based on demographics--though perhaps it is reality) is the lack of development in the northwest, parts of the east (along Henderson, McPhillips, Main). Garden City is a disgusting, outdated mall offering very little. There is a lack of restaurants too.

I think Garden City is suffering the same fate to some extent that Unicity did... the sprawl that was expected to surround the mall never really materialized, so it doesn't have a huge population base to draw from. When it opened around 1969 there was only population to the south... small amounts of housing were built to the north, east and west since then, but not a lot of it. I wouldn't expect Garden City to be much more than it is now. (Incidentally, I recall reading in Ross Gourluck's book about Eaton's that the Garden City store never once turned a profit in the nearly 30 years it was open...)

But for what it's worth the McPhillips area doesn't really seem under-retailed... you have all of the usual suspects along that strip (Wal-Mart, Home Depot, Superstore, Sears, Canadian Tire, Winners, Future Shop...probably very soon Target and maybe Costco will be setting up shop out there). It seems like most other commercial strips like Pembina, Portage, Regent, Kenaston, etc.

Prairie boy Jul 9, 2014 4:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by esquire (Post 6647435)
I think Garden City is suffering the same fate to some extent that Unicity did... the sprawl that was expected to surround the mall never really materialized, so it doesn't have a huge population base to draw from. When it opened around 1969 there was only population to the south... small amounts of housing were built to the north, east and west since then, but not a lot of it. I wouldn't expect Garden City to be much more than it is now. (Incidentally, I recall reading in Ross Gourluck's book about Eaton's that the Garden City store never once turned a profit in the nearly 30 years it was open...)

But for what it's worth the McPhillips area doesn't really seem under-retailed... you have all of the usual suspects along that strip (Wal-Mart, Home Depot, Superstore, Sears, Canadian Tire, Winners, Future Shop...probably very soon Target and maybe Costco will be setting up shop out there). It seems like most other commercial strips like Pembina, Portage, Regent, Kenaston, etc.

I would think a Target would have been built around CPT and Henderson. The folks around there deserve a department store. Garden City needs to be demolished, and replaced with an outdoor mall boasting unique designs.