SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   Manitoba & Saskatchewan (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=129)
-   -   Winnipeg Retail (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=174131)

rypinion Nov 24, 2014 3:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CoryB (Post 6818961)
Sadly, I saw a zoning notice at that location within the last year seeking approval to run a pawn shop. I am pretty sure it was discussed on these forums too.

My memory might be poor, but I think I recall that not getting approval.

esquire Nov 24, 2014 3:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cheswick (Post 6818929)
Considering there's a Dollorama across the street, a giant Tiger a block away, and a dollar store in Portage place a few blocks away, I think it's clientelle won't have to go far to find somewhere else to shop.

Haha, true enough. But I doubt that whatever ends up in there will be as useful as the Bargain Shop :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by CoryB (Post 6818961)
Sadly, I saw a zoning notice at that location within the last year seeking approval to run a pawn shop. I am pretty sure it was discussed on these forums too.

I think you're thinking of the rejected application by the Money Mart next door.

http://winnipeg.ctvnews.ca/money-mar...ipeg-1.1991639

esquire Nov 24, 2014 4:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rypinion (Post 6818970)
Indeed. Everyone wants a grocery store downtown but at the same time seem to cheer the removal of all the stores that sell grocery items.

Yeah, it's as though the only thing standing in the way a torrent of glamourous Dior and Louis Vuitton shops and Bentley dealerships are the existing Bargain Store/Dollarama outlets.

I wonder what will end up in there? I would not expect any sort of conventional retailer to set up shop, although I guess it is possible. The worst case scenario would be a "storefront" operation of some government department or social service (like all the other ones already on Portage), but a close second would be another tedious casual dining chain restaurant... I think I'd prefer a McDonald's to that.

CoryB Nov 24, 2014 4:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by esquire (Post 6818979)
I think you're thinking of the rejected application by the Money Mart next door.

The timing on the Money Mart application is about right however the zoning notice I remember was definitely in the Bargain Shop windows.

One of the big challenges for finding someone to take over the Bargain Shop, regardless of what it is, is that the current lease includes a sizable about of basement space. I would imagine interest in the main floor could be high but the lower level not as much. Might some of high profile, nationally known companies that has submitted expressions of interest for what will be the Milestones location be interested here too? It is also worth noting that the building has skywalk access to MTS Centre although it is currently not accessible from the Bargain Shop.

Cyro Nov 24, 2014 4:13 PM

Money Mart: Where Extortion is legal..

Manitoba residents: The APR on a $300 loan for 12 days is 517.08% on a rate of $17 per $100 borrowed.

esquire Nov 24, 2014 4:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CoryB (Post 6818986)
The timing on the Money Mart application is about right however the zoning notice I remember was definitely in the Bargain Shop windows.

One of the big challenges for finding someone to take over the Bargain Shop, regardless of what it is, is that the current lease includes a sizable about of basement space. I would imagine interest in the main floor could be high but the lower level not as much. Might some of high profile, nationally known companies that has submitted expressions of interest for what will be the Milestones location be interested here too? It is also worth noting that the building has skywalk access to MTS Centre although it is currently not accessible from the Bargain Shop.

Maybe simplicity can speak to this but I'm willing to bet that the basement space is probably not much more than a throw-in. That space probably doesn't command very much and there can't be many potential tenants interested in taking it. At one point up until the 90s there were a number of businesses operating in Portage Avenue basements but these days I can't think of any whatsoever apart from Winnipeg Square.

I'd be willing to bet that skywalk access could be added without much trouble for the right tenant. For an example, just look at how it was added in the Warehouse One space at Portage and Carlton.

Simplicity Nov 24, 2014 6:27 PM

The application was for the Money Mart - they've been trying to buy and sell gold and that requires a pawn license if you're taking the ring in hock. It wasn't approved. If I remember, though, they were successful in a couple other areas of the city.

As far as basement space goes, I'd seriously doubt whether that commands any actual rent. I could see an arrangement where it's used as storage and the tenant picks up the costs to carry, but I'd very much doubt there was a rental cost associated.

It's kind of a funny consideration these days anyway given that most new commercial spaces don't even have basements. Generally, retail storage is in the back. Otherwise, in bigger office buildings, tenants rent a storage locker.

cllew Nov 24, 2014 11:36 PM

The basement part came in when the Wooworth's store renovated back in the late 60's early 70's. An aunt's former foster son was manager there and I remember him saying this was a way for them to have more floor space in the same location.

Cyro Nov 24, 2014 11:56 PM

Interesting bit of history. I still don't understand why the basement, (obviously some work has been done since the buildings construction) , would not increase the value of leasing the property. Not by some huge degree but it is still a viable storage area at worst increasing the sq/ft. of the property?

Unfinished brick and mortar area or finished in some form to be in a useful state it would affect the value of the property similar to other properties used for commercial or retail purposes. You could even use it as the "Deep down, Rock Bottom price Cellar". :)

biguc Nov 25, 2014 1:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rypinion (Post 6818970)
Indeed. Everyone wants a grocery store downtown but at the same time seem to cheer the removal of all the stores that sell grocery items.

This is actually kind of a shame. Of Dollarama, Giant Tiger, and TBS, TBS is the better store, has the least obtrusive sign, and isn't in a standalone suburban-style dump.

horrorbro123 Nov 26, 2014 3:27 PM

Well Looks Like Smart Set Is Closing at Polo Park Shopping St Vital Centre And Kildonan Place

Pegoise Nov 26, 2014 6:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by horrorbro123 (Post 6821744)
Well Looks Like Smart Set Is Closing at Polo Park Shopping St Vital Centre And Kildonan Place

Reitmans is shutting Smart Set down across the country

LilZebra Nov 27, 2014 9:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trebor204 (Post 6818726)
Good News!
It looks like the Bargain Store by the MTS Centre is closing down.
Hopefully they replace it with a restaurant or sports bar or SHED related.

And where do you expect us Winnipeggers to shop for groceries?

I won't set foot into a GT.

h0twired Nov 27, 2014 3:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jimj_wpg (Post 6822918)
And where do you expect us Winnipeggers to shop for groceries?

I won't set foot into a GT.

I was unaware that TBS was the only grocery store in Winnipeg.

esquire Nov 27, 2014 4:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by h0twired (Post 6823095)
I was unaware that TBS was the only grocery store in Winnipeg.

You mean I've been subsisting on beef jerky, goldfish crackers, canned corned beef and 7-Up all this time for nothing?

CoryB Nov 27, 2014 6:25 PM

I would think the basement space of TBS on Portage could be valuable in the SHED. I would be surprised if it didn't end up as either a prep, storage or even lounge space for a main floor restaurant.

rrskylar Nov 27, 2014 10:29 PM

Wondering if Lowe's will ever to Winnipeg with stores in both Regina and Saskatoon and a second store under construction in Saskatoon you would think Winnipeg might be on their radar.

Simplicity Nov 27, 2014 10:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CoryB (Post 6823285)
I would think the basement space of TBS on Portage could be valuable in the SHED. I would be surprised if it didn't end up as either a prep, storage or even lounge space for a main floor restaurant.

This would imply that space in the SHED is valuable. There's nothing that objectively shows space in the SHED is any more valuable than anywhere else. There's also evidence that the restaurant and lounge market there is tapped out, so that'd be a hell of a restaurant that would require both that space and the basement. Especially directly next door to MoneyMart.

That space is going to sit vacant for a long time.

Simplicity Nov 27, 2014 10:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rrskylar (Post 6823549)
Wondering if Lowe's will ever to Winnipeg with stores in both Regina and Saskatoon and a second store under construction in Saskatoon you would think Winnipeg might be on their radar.

At one point they were slated for the Season of Tuxedo development. I couldn't tell you what happened there.

cllew Nov 27, 2014 10:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rrskylar (Post 6823549)

Depends where they are supplied out of. If its coming out of Calgary (like Rona or Target in Winnipeg) they may wait a bit. If its coming out of Ontario it makes sense as the trucks / containers will pass through Winnipeg.