SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   Manitoba & Saskatchewan (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=129)
-   -   Bruce Oake Recovery Centre (St.James) (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=236689)

Jets4Life Nov 15, 2018 10:58 PM

Bruce Oake Recovery Centre (St.James)

Sorry if this should be put in another thread but I wanted opinions of people from Winnipeg. Politician Steven Fletcher has made it is personal crusade to sabotage the recovery treatment centre. His Twitter feed is becoming more bizarre with each passing day. Personally, I believe this addiction treatment centre is long overdue as Manitoba has the longest wait times in Canada to be admitted to ant treatment facility.

pspeid Nov 15, 2018 11:10 PM

Opposition to facilities like this tends to be more fear-mongering than fact. This will be a much-needed facility that will dramatically improve lives.

bomberjet Nov 16, 2018 5:47 PM

I can't believe someone voted for outside the City. These places need to be accessible to everyone. Not out in the back forty somewhere like it's a shame. Also a huge NUMBY thing. So what, as long as it's not next to your house it's fine. Put it next to someone else? Even though it's not really an issue.

Something similar happened recently in Stonewall with a community living house. Residents were opposed because they didn't understand. I feel this is similar. No, your neighbourhood will not be overrun with crime and filth. These are people just like everyone else.

buzzg Nov 16, 2018 6:26 PM

It's the same thing that happened with those Habitat for Humanity houses.. people were angry because they thought it would lead to out of control homeless people and drug addicts running rampant in the streets.

rrskylar Nov 16, 2018 6:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pspeid (Post 8380978)
Opposition to facilities like this tends to be more fear-mongering than fact. This will be a much-needed facility that will dramatically improve lives.

No kidding, the people that will be there getting treatment want help, they're not going to be out in the neighbourhood shooting up like some of the nimbys envision!

esquire Nov 16, 2018 6:54 PM

If you block the addictions treatment centres and close your eyes tightly, you can make all of the people with addictions disappear!

Wolf13 Nov 16, 2018 10:44 PM

I want the centre, but we can't pretend it's unreasonable for people to get nimby-ish over this... I'd say sure build it, but not in my backyard also. I wouldn't want to risk the presence of too many addicts around my home. This is normal.

Jets4Life Nov 16, 2018 11:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wolf13 (Post 8382168)
I want the centre, but we can't pretend it's unreasonable for people to get nimby-ish over this... I'd say sure build it, but not in my backyard also. I wouldn't want to risk the presence of too many addicts around my home. This is normal.

You must live a sheltered life.

Myth: most addicts come from the inner city, especially the North End. They also are all over North Main, usually down and out.

Reality: The vast majority of clients in treatment centres come from the suburbs. Would you rather have these people attempt to heal themselves, and lead productive lives, or would you rather they stay hidden in suburbia maybe even next door to you residence?

cheswick Nov 17, 2018 12:45 AM

Reality: 85% of addicts have a relapse within a year of leaving treatment.

rrskylar Nov 17, 2018 10:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wolf13 (Post 8382168)

Guess what, kids experiment with drugs in schools, maybe we shouldn't build schools near homes either!

buzzg Nov 18, 2018 12:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rrskylar (Post 8382826)
Guess what, kids experiment with drugs in schools, maybe we shouldn't build schools near homes either!

I like that idea – I don't want kids, why should I have to pay taxes for schools anyway?!

Jets4Life Nov 18, 2018 5:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cheswick (Post 8382263)
Reality: 85% of addicts have a relapse within a year of leaving treatment.

Maybe we should not build hospitals either since many patients have chronic illnesses and will be back in short order.

rrskylar Nov 18, 2018 5:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jets4Life (Post 8383029)
Maybe we should not build hospitals either since many patients have chronic illnesses and will be back in short order.

Good point, it’s only the sick and elderly who use hospitals anyway why even have them!

The Jabroni Nov 18, 2018 5:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jets4Life (Post 8380963)
Sorry if this should be put in another thread but I wanted opinions of people from Winnipeg. Politician Steven Fletcher has made it is personal crusade to sabotage the recovery treatment centre. His Twitter feed is becoming more bizarre with each passing day. Personally, I believe this addiction treatment centre is long overdue as Manitoba has the longest wait times in Canada to be admitted to ant treatment facility.

I personally think there should be a safe injection sites for people who go on Twitter tirades. That way, it would show how these users really feel, and would help them in a road to recovery, and eventually, a more level-headed use of Twitter or be free from Twitter, once and for all. :yes::D

cheswick Nov 18, 2018 1:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rrskylar (Post 8383039)
Good point, it’s only the sick and elderly who use hospitals anyway why even have them!

Pregnancy isn’t a sickness

esquire Nov 18, 2018 2:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cheswick (Post 8383103)
Pregnancy isn’t a sickness

There's a birthing centre for those people ;)

bomberjet Nov 19, 2018 4:13 PM

People are so scared of their own shadow it's ridiculous. If you want to oppose a facility that's going to help untold amounts of people, you go right ahead and do that. Unreal.

CoryB Nov 19, 2018 4:35 PM

Residents of Winnipeg: "We need to do something about this meth and opioid crisis in your community."

Province: "We have a plan to build a long term treatment centre to help people recover from drug (aka meth and opiod) addiction."

NIMBY Residents: "Instead of the Vimy site you should build it where the drug users area now."

:duh

esquire Nov 19, 2018 4:44 PM

^ Any NIMBY who thinks there aren't significant numbers of drug users in St. James-Assiniboia is deluded.

Kinguni Nov 19, 2018 11:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by esquire (Post 8383916)
^ Any NIMBY who thinks there aren't significant numbers of drug users in St. James-Assiniboia is deluded.

You're right. It could be their own neighbours using the centre.