SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   Manitoba & Saskatchewan (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=129)
-   -   Winnipeg Retail (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=174131)

harls Jan 30, 2020 3:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DancingDuck (Post 8815527)
I can't tell if that's sarcasm or not

Post history says... no.

wags_in_the_peg Jan 30, 2020 3:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by armorand93 (Post 8815485)
Maybe they were afraid of the poor masses & the drug addicts? Calgarys Rec Room is in the middle of nowhere too. Car access only. NE Calgary, far from most of the population, but still near where the money is (if you look west towards Country Hills). Winnipegs? Also middle of nowhere, car access only, with shit transit options. Also next to where the money is.

Feels like discrimination against the poor (for both Calgary/Winnipeg), and maybe in Winnipegs case, even racist, for them to put down a Rec Room in a suburban area thats basically all full of affluent white people... i guess the rest of us non-bourgeoise folk, should just stick to playing goldfish in the Windsor? Or maybe we could all race cardboard sleds down the shore, near Assiniboine Park...

Cineplex doesn't seem to care for those that aren't rich up the ass, lately. Their VIP cinemas, new alcohol bars, and Rec Room/gentrified arcade with adult entertaiment (the booze, not the strippers) is an abomination against the non-upper classes, and anyone that can't blow $300 in a single night, trying to get a stuffie out with the claw... its bullshit. At least at Reset on Pembina, the drinks and food might've been expensive (and quite frankly, horrible food), but at least I could slap some quarters/loonies in & have tons of fun, for hours on end. Cineplex games might be all modern and flashy, but it costs too much for games. Maybe thats why they're subliminally telling the poor to stay away, along with the $20 meals and the "EXCUSE ME SIIIIIR" elitist attitude & alarm, at a family trying to stretch out a 20, for their kids to go play at the arcade while they wait for yet another shit-tier movie out of Hollywood... What a bunch of pricks.

suburban area thats basically all full of affluent white people? Wow, I'd say there's as many people with Asian and India roots are there are "white" people in the shops in that area. Comments like you are making are reasons why forums like this turn to crap and decent contributing members of society end up leaving. go back to reddit or whatever cave you crawled out from.

bomberjet Jan 30, 2020 3:38 PM

A business, trying to make money, sets up shop in an emerging retail centre, in close proximity to other retail centres, along a major roadway. Oh what a travesty.

Same tone comes out re: Jets games. "I can't afford to go." Okay so don't go then.

Me: "I'd sure love to live in a mansion along the river." But I can't afford it so I don't.

vjose32 Jan 30, 2020 6:07 PM

Once again something for those in the south while everyone else gets shafted. Should have done a more central location like Sears at Polo Park, would have been great there.

Stadium should never have gone so far south either.

Biff Jan 30, 2020 6:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bomberjet (Post 8815858)
A business, trying to make money, sets up shop in an emerging retail centre, in close proximity to other retail centres, along a major roadway. Oh what a travesty.

Same tone comes out re: Jets games. "I can't afford to go." Okay so don't go then.

Me: "I'd sure love to live in a mansion along the river." But I can't afford it so I don't.

I get it completely...I really want a wake boat ($150,000 to $200,000) but those companies don't want to make one for us "middle classers"

bomberjet Jan 30, 2020 6:18 PM

Who are you, me or any of us to tell a business where they can and can't set-up? They're not a charity. It's a business, to make money. If that's where they feel the best opportunity is, then that's it.

Biff Jan 30, 2020 6:34 PM

.....but I want a boat? No, I really, really want one of those boats.

https://prodwebassets.s3.amazonaws.c...6_1_XLARGE.jpg

Hecate Jan 30, 2020 7:06 PM

The problem I have with the jets and their pricing is the amount of public money that goes into the team and the organization, tax breaks, kick backs from lotteries, and other such nonsense. This is public money going to subsidize a wealthy elitist entertainment corporation. If they had some seats selling for $25 a pop I wouldn’t have as much of a problem with it. The RMTC gets public money, but you can go see a world class play for $30 tax included. So it’s much more accessible for everyone. It’s not about poor people wanting $150,000 speed boats.

Riverman Jan 30, 2020 8:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Biff (Post 8816133)
.....but I want a boat? No, I really, really want one of those boats.

https://prodwebassets.s3.amazonaws.c...6_1_XLARGE.jpg

They have evolved into heavy, slow pieces of shit. Save your money! :)

vjose32 Jan 31, 2020 2:03 PM

Apparently the theatre at Garden City will be reopening!?!

https://www.shopgardencity.ca/pdfs/G...ap-JAN2020.pdf

CoryB Jan 31, 2020 3:13 PM

Going back to my death watch post from last week, La Senza is reported to be on the brink of being forced into bankruptcy by creditors.

Worth mentioning that it was a year ago that Victoria Secrets parent company sold La Senza to an equity firm that seems to focus on extracting value from under performing assets.

GreyGarden Jan 31, 2020 3:24 PM

I will never understand the argument that everything in Winnipeg has to be affordable. I've never heard this kind of stuff in Toronto or elsewhere. If there is a market for expensive stuff, it will exist and thats a good thing.

I understand that when we start talking about "gentrification" that things get a little murkier, but that's not what we're talking about. Its not like we're talking about a mom and pop shop on North Main that serves the community closing and a hip wine bar that will run you $200 a night opening up in its place. I wouldn't necessarily have a problem with that if thats what the market wanted, but thats not what we're talking about here.

I guess maybe I just don't understand what you're trying to argue armorand93. Say an entrepreneur is looking to open a high end Sake bar or something, they look at the market and determine that the best spot for this would be in Osborne or the Exchange based on things like foot traffic and surrounding businesses. Are you saying that by making the decision to locate in one of those areas that that entrepreneur is somehow discriminating against people, either based on race or wealth? And by charging $16 for a glass of Sake they're discriminating against people struggling with poverty? I understand that argument very well when the private sector controls necessary goods and services - I think there is likely a good argument that charging for feminine hygiene products (and not providing tax provisions for them) is discriminatory against the poor. But that glass of sake and someones ability to have feminine hygiene products are two very very different things.

CoryB Jan 31, 2020 9:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GreyGarden (Post 8817010)
I will never understand the argument that everything in Winnipeg has to be affordable.

There is definitely a case of matching product to demographic. It is why Winnipeg does not have stores selling $1000 designer purses and shoes. There might be some level of market here but the cost to stock those items doesn't support the demand there is for them.

In terms of Rec Room, what people are losing sight of is Cineplex has a fairly deep loyalty program that gives them some pretty good customer demographic information on which to make these type of decisions. If you are going fishing best to use a fish finder if you have one...

Boreal Jan 31, 2020 11:16 PM

The Rec Room is mostly patronized by people who have notable disposable income. It also has drawing power. Setting up shop within 10-15 minutes of the largest swath of disposable income between Toronto and Calgary isn't a bad plan for a for-profit business. Not many avocado growers in Thunder Bay, Ontario as it were. The Rec Room is like the Zoo (Assiniboine, not Osborne), in that really, how often does one go? Two to three times a year at best for the average person?

Don't get me wrong, there's lots of things worth discussing, but a private business offering pure entertainment (NOT a necessary good by any stretch), they can open up in the middle of Lake Winnipeg on a 500 ft tower with helicopter access only if they wanted to and what difference does it make?

AccordTR Feb 1, 2020 3:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vjose32 (Post 8816936)

Definitely work happening on site. Looks like roof.

blueandgoldguy Feb 2, 2020 1:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by armorand93 (Post 8815485)
Maybe they were afraid of the poor masses & the drug addicts? Calgarys Rec Room is in the middle of nowhere too. Car access only. NE Calgary, far from most of the population, but still near where the money is (if you look west towards Country Hills). Winnipegs? Also middle of nowhere, car access only, with shit transit options. Also next to where the money is.

Feels like discrimination against the poor (for both Calgary/Winnipeg), and maybe in Winnipegs case, even racist, for them to put down a Rec Room in a suburban area thats basically all full of affluent white people... i guess the rest of us non-bourgeoise folk, should just stick to playing goldfish in the Windsor? Or maybe we could all race cardboard sleds down the shore, near Assiniboine Park...

Cineplex doesn't seem to care for those that aren't rich up the ass, lately. Their VIP cinemas, new alcohol bars, and Rec Room/gentrified arcade with adult entertaiment (the booze, not the strippers) is an abomination against the non-upper classes, and anyone that can't blow $300 in a single night, trying to get a stuffie out with the claw... its bullshit. At least at Reset on Pembina, the drinks and food might've been expensive (and quite frankly, horrible food), but at least I could slap some quarters/loonies in & have tons of fun, for hours on end. Cineplex games might be all modern and flashy, but it costs too much for games. Maybe thats why they're subliminally telling the poor to stay away, along with the $20 meals and the "EXCUSE ME SIIIIIR" elitist attitude & alarm, at a family trying to stretch out a 20, for their kids to go play at the arcade while they wait for yet another shit-tier movie out of Hollywood... What a bunch of pricks.

Cineplex kept the Northgate Cinema open for the North End peasants...despite underwhelming attendance for Hollywood movies at that theatre. Thankfully, Cineplex realized the burgeoning immigrant groups in Winnipeg were woefully under-served when it came to options for foreign films from their respective countries (Philippines, China and India) and capitalized years ago. A typical evening at Northgate Cineplex sees 3 or 4 of the 8 theatres screening foreign films...most if not all of which have better attendance than the other 4 or 5 theatres showing Hollywood fare.

Frankly, if it wasn't for those foreign films and the attendees they draw, I suspect Northgate Cineplex would have shut down years ago. As it stands, they have cut down their screenings per theatre from 2 to 1 per night on weekdays.

AccordTR Feb 2, 2020 2:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blueandgoldguy (Post 8818353)
Cineplex kept the Northgate Cinema open for the North End peasants...despite underwhelming attendance for Hollywood movies at that theatre. Thankfully, Cineplex realized the burgeoning immigrant groups in Winnipeg were woefully under-served when it came to options for foreign films from their respective countries (Philippines, China and India) and capitalized years ago. A typical evening at Northgate Cineplex sees 3 or 4 of the 8 theatres screening foreign films...most if not all of which have better attendance than the other 4 or 5 theatres showing Hollywood fare.

Frankly, if it wasn't for those foreign films and the attendees they draw, I suspect Northgate Cineplex would have shut down years ago. As it stands, they have cut down their screenings per theatre from 2 to 1 per night on weekdays.

Well someone is dumping big money into reopening garden city cinema so someone must be watching movies.

pspeid Feb 2, 2020 3:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vjose32 (Post 8816936)

That's good to see. Anyone who has ever been to Garden City will know it's quite a good mall with some interesting, stable anchor tenants. Having an entertainment option like a movie theatre return to the mall will only make it better!

CoryB Feb 3, 2020 5:15 PM

^^ If there is strong local interest in foreign language films it could even be a local independent investor looking to take over the GC theater and specialize in screening those films.

pegcity Feb 5, 2020 9:07 PM

Red River Co-Op announced today, they will be opening up a grocery story on the Seasons property (Outlet Collection, Dairy Queen, Popeyes etc) on Sterling Lyon.

https://www.redriverco-op.crs/sites/...-neighbourhood