SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   Never Built & Visionary Projects (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=342)
-   -   DUBAI | The Cloud | 985 FT / 300 M | VISION (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=133257)

smussuw Jul 2, 2007 7:11 PM

^^ very civilized

Patrick Jul 9, 2007 6:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by smussuw (Post 2930525)
^^ very civilized

What is your avatar?

EmpireCityGuy Aug 19, 2007 9:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DUBAI2015 (Post 2907096)
I give this a 3.0010279003% chance of getting built.

hahaha --- I second that.

texcolo Aug 19, 2007 9:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CGII (Post 2928220)
Seattle just took into this idea. Developers in Seattle have now proposed, 'The Opening,' an area of negative space supported 300m in the air by beams resembling sun, with the intent of creating a year round patch of sky in a place where sky is about as often as rain in Dubai.

:worship:

That was funny.

rahnfeld Aug 27, 2007 8:54 AM

Hej,

by all the critics that it is only a joke, you have to admit, this idea might be mad but is actually a passionate thought. :tup: And security issues are likely being cracked withing some time and creative talent - if time has come they will not hesitate to construct it. And I have to say, there is enough water in the oceans to form artificial clouds, coherent with the ice melting there will be even more water available soon.
And were not the hanging gardens crazy, the big wall, pyramids and all that.... landing on the moon etc.
I think the Emirates are at one state to drive the world forward, where half of the developed service countries is stocked in its artificial political and demographical problems.

Like who really got some fantasy left. Here in Germany, the city of Dresden argues about a stupid bridge - that discussion now goes on for over 10 years. And recently a single "bat", by the way - were bats not famous for flying through dark caves – without hitting walls, prevented the start of its construction.

In Emirates they just try to life out their fantasy and by that its boosting our everyone’s minds - away from all the "that’s impossible, and who will finance it" talks, which have gotten worse after the end of cold war, before everything was possible too (cause one either communism or capitalism had to proof of being the better system).

I have most respect of such crazy ideas, since the Emiratis may be closing the gap/lack of terra-forming knowledge, that might be needed to settle on new planets and recreate the damages on you own.:notacrook:

Regards, Jens

rahnfeld Aug 27, 2007 10:55 AM

better than

I mean going for that seems better for me than going for Dubailand.

Regards,
Jens Rahnfeld

Aleks Nov 22, 2007 10:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CGII (Post 2928220)
Seattle just took into this idea. Developers in Seattle have now proposed, 'The Opening,' an area of negative space supported 300m in the air by beams resembling sun, with the intent of creating a year round patch of sky in a place where sky is about as often as rain in Dubai.

Where did you hear about this? I'm pretty sure I would've heard about it. Something like what you described would not be possible in Seattle due to height restrictions, weird terrain, Greg Nickles (mayor), and money. Seattle after all does have high taxes and high prices.

AltinD Nov 23, 2007 11:29 PM

:previous: :haha:

Aleks Nov 25, 2007 4:21 AM

What's so funny?

Anyways, there's a building that was made up for the Sci-Fi museum here in Seattle that has 3 domes on top of each other. Each dome has a small "rain-forest" and some labs. But that's just to bring people to the museum and to show can might happen in the future. This isn't a proposal. Is that what you were talking about?

Patrick Nov 28, 2007 11:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AltinD (Post 2927974)
ONCE AGAIN. THIS IS NOT A PROJECT PROPOSED FOR DUBAI. THIS IS JUST SOME FAKE STUFF SOME IDIOT MADE IN HIS PC AND IS LAUGHING HIS ASS OFF TO OTHER IDIOTS OF THE SAME MINDSET, TAKING THIS SERIOUSLY.

Was I clear enough? Can we close this and move on to real stuff?

How the hell is this a joke? Yeah its a stupid concept, but like someones really gonna buy a bunch of 3D rendering programs and make a skyscraper realated joke?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aleks0o01 (Post 3187211)
What's so funny?

Anyways, there's a building that was made up for the Sci-Fi museum here in Seattle that has 3 domes on top of each other. Each dome has a small "rain-forest" and some labs. But that's just to bring people to the museum and to show can might happen in the future. This isn't a proposal. Is that what you were talking about?

What CGII said was a joke, theres no such thing as "The Opening". Although sometimes CGII's posts are hard to confirm if they are sarcastic or not.

malec Nov 28, 2007 11:55 PM

It's not a joke but it's just a concept by some architects, probably for their own research and is not actually proposed for for construction at all. That's probably what AltinD meant.

Ch.G, Ch.G Dec 1, 2007 12:27 AM

God, Dubai sucks. This design blatantly apes Diller + Scofidio's Blur Building.

Aleks Dec 1, 2007 7:32 AM

hmm... I like the design. It looks good from far away. And yes Dubai is dry but hellooo.....Persian Gulf...

urbanlife Dec 7, 2007 10:29 PM

well if they ever decide to film a remake of Bladerunner, they should have it take place in Dubai and Tokyo, you know to completely give it that futuristic feeling.

Nate the Great Dec 15, 2007 2:34 AM

i don't know about you, but i don't want to see this built

anyway Merry Cristmas!!!!!!!!!!!

M II A II R II K Dec 15, 2007 3:50 AM

And plus how are you supposed to go up it.

Nate the Great Dec 15, 2007 3:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by M II A II R II K (Post 3228655)
And plus how are you supposed to go up it.

You have a very good point

a chicago bearcat Dec 15, 2007 7:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by malec (Post 3193884)
It's not a joke but it's just a concept by some architects, probably for their own research and is not actually proposed for for construction at all. That's probably what AltinD meant.

exactly

it's not that uncommon
architects get an idea that is supposed to make a statement, kind of like performance art, and they excecute all the programmatic, graphic, and presentational aspects of the project, so the opinion and idea can be debated in the public realm, as it is being debated here

the project is by atelier hapsitus, a lebanese firm, it's all in the link on the front page, from a very interesting design magazine

Rathgrith Apr 19, 2008 8:11 PM

Wow with this kind of thinking Dubai should just start buildign skyscrapers out of paper. Actually come to think it, I would feel safer standing in a building made of money than this one.

James2390 May 2, 2008 7:00 AM

This thread has some hilarious ass posts.

This is real clever. Cloud like objects on 1000 foot poles.