SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum//index.php)
-   St. John's (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum//forumdisplay.php?f=700)
-   -   [St. John's] Retail Thread (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum//showthread.php?t=198935)

J_Murphy Jan 15, 2013 2:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by statbass (Post 5973737)
I was looking around thescope.ca website and there is some talk about what restaurants will be going up by the new Empire Theatres. An individual by the name of, "Q" (who seems to be a very trusted source) identified that Milestones and another Starbucks and Subway will be setting up shop there. I find it a bit odd that Starbucks (and even Subway for that matter) would set up there given there are other locations nearby. Come to think of it, there are two Starbucks locations very close to each other on Kenmount... hmmm, interesting!

I think milestones was already known. I don't think another Starbucks down there is necessary. However another subway might do good. That one on Aberdeen/Stavanger does get extremely busy during lunch time.

Arrakis Jan 15, 2013 3:54 PM

Starbucks will also be inside of Target too from what I hear.


Quote:

Originally Posted by jeddy1989 (Post 5973741)
There are many Tim Hortons locations that are located very close to each other .. also those starbucks you mentioned .. and Two Subways on Water street, so it's not impossible, although I would love to see more variety


J_Murphy Jan 15, 2013 4:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Arrakis (Post 5973855)
Starbucks will also be inside of Target too from what I hear.

That makes sense. The Targets I have been to in the states have Starbucks in them. If that is true, and the rumour of the one in Field Power Centre, that will total three in that small area. Even as a big Starbucks fan, I must admit that is too many for that area.

edit: http://business.financialpost.com/20...t-tim-hortons/

Apparently, they will be in "most" Target Canada stores.

statbass Jan 15, 2013 5:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by J_Murphy (Post 5973919)
That makes sense. The Targets I have been to in the states have Starbucks in them. If that is true, and the rumour of the one in Field Power Centre, that will total three in that small area. Even as a big Starbucks fan, I must admit that is too many for that area.

edit: http://business.financialpost.com/20...t-tim-hortons/

Apparently, they will be in "most" Target Canada stores.

As per usual, we'll just have to wait and see.

Marty_Mcfly Jan 15, 2013 9:48 PM

I'm sure all those starbucks locations will do fine as well. There's a starbucks every 2-3 blocks in Manhattan and they're all bustling. Of course there's a size difference between Manhattan and Stavanger but even the large number of Tim Hortons locations within town do well.

MrChills Jan 16, 2013 12:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marty_Mcfly (Post 5974419)
I'm sure all those starbucks locations will do fine as well. There's a starbucks every 2-3 blocks in Manhattan and they're all bustling. Of course there's a size difference between Manhattan and Stavanger but even the large number of Tim Hortons locations within town do well.

I agree - Starbucks will do well. With that said, anything is better than Tim Hortons, I really don't understand how that place is so popular.

Marty_Mcfly Jan 16, 2013 1:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrChills (Post 5974696)
I agree - Starbucks will do well. With that said, anything is better than Tim Hortons, I really don't understand how that place is so popular.

People like to think it's good because people tell them good.

J.A.I.L. Jan 16, 2013 11:55 AM

Looks like the liquor store has reopened downtown!
#3 queen street at the end of George street. in Danny's new/old building that he bought.

Should be interesting to see how that makes out at the end of night on George Street!

SignalHillHiker Jan 16, 2013 12:00 PM

:haha: Excellent news! If only for the entertainment value.

J.A.I.L. Jan 16, 2013 12:01 PM

indeed!

J.A.I.L. Jan 16, 2013 12:02 PM

at least it will clean up that area a little bit! i used to live in one of the buildings next to it! so nice to see some new life coming down there finally

SignalHillHiker Jan 16, 2013 12:05 PM

I completely agree. We've basically got an empty Downtown West End to work with. There's very little of value there - only our new office towers and that little row of heritage buildings that includes the Newman Wine Vaults. Just about everything else could use a major redevelopment.

J_Murphy Jan 16, 2013 12:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrChills (Post 5974696)
I agree - Starbucks will do well. With that said, anything is better than Tim Hortons, I really don't understand how that place is so popular.

Agreed. Irving has better coffee than Tim Hortons.

J.A.I.L. Jan 16, 2013 12:13 PM

i agree i live in the west end of downtown and love it! Wouldn't change the area i live in just wish instead of driving from my home i see parking lots and empty gas stations!

SignalHillHiker Jan 16, 2013 12:17 PM

Me too, now! I'm on Prince of Wales Street. :)

J.A.I.L. Jan 16, 2013 12:24 PM

warbury here i used to live on Franklin just off prince of whales but i must say i love my street now heart of downtown pretty much which that around the bay feel! (big back yard)

SignalHillHiker Jan 16, 2013 12:27 PM

I know. I told my landlord, I said, "Now, I'm not moving in until you cleans up this neighbourhood and gets J.A.I.L. down out of it..." :D

But, seriously, very cool. I love this part of the city as well.

J.A.I.L. Jan 16, 2013 12:30 PM

HAHAHAHA
funny good thing i moved out of that area 7 years agao hahaha!
imagine what it would be like now had i stayed hahaha!

jeddy1989 Jan 16, 2013 12:53 PM

ok so this post kind of blends the lines between the restaurant thread and retail and west end so I'm just going to post it here


I noticed on Kelsey drive this morning that they are hard at work on the new buildings, the TD bank is all shelled in and the frames are up for the Royal retail style bank and the Swiss Chalet, two notes:
They are not connected
also the entrences are facing staples and Dollarama so it's a nice infill and beter pedestrian experience :) :tup:

Arrakis Jan 16, 2013 3:45 PM

Would be kinda nice if there were a row of buildings (not necessarily high-rises) along Water Street next to the Train Station Museum so we don't have to see that big old dockyard parking lot. Oceanex recently redeveloped the parking lot so the likelihood of seeing some nice buildings on that part of Water Street is probably slim. Be nice to see the old Irving and Esso station properties get redeveloped too. I heard once that once a gas station closes, the property cannot be redeveloped for 10 years or so. I think it's too let whatever residual pollution that is the ground to naturally fade away or something like that.


Quote:

Originally Posted by J.A.I.L. (Post 5975310)
i agree i live in the west end of downtown and love it! Wouldn't change the area i live in just wish instead of driving from my home i see parking lots and empty gas stations!



All times are GMT. The time now is 12:48 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.