SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   Manitoba & Saskatchewan (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=129)
-   -   Winnipeg Retail (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=174131)

EdwardTH Jan 15, 2020 7:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cheswick (Post 8800165)
Do you think all people without cars are homeless?

The opposite, generally homeless people don't own cars.

CoryB Jan 15, 2020 8:43 PM

Shoplifters do not need their own vehicle can just "borrow" one to help with their "shopping" trip to the suburbs.

robertocarlos Jan 15, 2020 9:29 PM

Car sharing is good for the environment.

tvor202 Jan 15, 2020 10:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by morty (Post 8799753)
It seems strange Ivanhoe Cambridge let them do that. I haven't been to the Outlet Mall in a while, but isn't that a fairly major entrance to the mall from the parking lot? You'd think it would be in the terms of the lease that access needs to be maintained.

Was there two weeks ago and the doors were being used.

Riverman Jan 16, 2020 8:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rrskylar (Post 8800421)
They've done that in Europe for years, basically need to break the bottle to get the alcohol out!

I got a huge, super-fine sieve for Christmas.

EdwardTH Jan 16, 2020 8:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CoryB (Post 8800657)
Shoplifters do not need their own vehicle can just "borrow" one to help with their "shopping" trip to the suburbs.

The kids shoplifting in the suburbs, live in the suburbs. Middle class suburban kids love to shoplift. If it wasn't so prejudiced, it would be cute how you guys think only inner-city people shoplift.

rrskylar Jan 16, 2020 8:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Riverman (Post 8801822)
I got a huge, super-fine sieve for Christmas.

That might work!;)

SpongeG Jan 22, 2020 5:37 AM

Winnipeg locations of Ten Thousand Villages to be shuttered

By: Solomon Israel
Posted: 01/21/2020

Fair-trade retailer Ten Thousand Villages is winding down its corporate operations by liquidating inventory and closing 10 company-run stores across the country, the Mennonite Central Committee Canada announced Tuesday.

Winnipeg's two Ten Thousand Villages locations (963 Henderson Hwy. and 134 Plaza Dr.) will be shuttered March 31 and May 29, respectively.

Eight independently-operated Ten Thousand Villages stores, including two Manitoba locations (Steinbach and Brandon), will remain open under a licensing agreement with MCC Canada.

Some independent stores, including locations in B.C., Ontario and New Brunswick, will also be closing. Canada's first Ten Thousand Villages location, an independent store in Altona, shut down at the end of 2019.

https://www.winnipegfreepress.com/lo...567174992.html

Jeff Jan 22, 2020 6:01 AM

^^^ the plaza drive location of that store was always a weird spot IMO. i suspect it to be quickly redeveloped into residential being a river lot in an extremely high-visibilty location. the henderson location should also be absorbed quickly as that's a pretty busy strip mall. meanwhile, polo park and st. vital can breathe easy! nothing announced to close yet this week....

OTA in Winnipeg Jan 22, 2020 7:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SpongeG (Post 8807409)
Winnipeg locations of Ten Thousand Villages to be shuttered

By: Solomon Israel
Posted: 01/21/2020

Fair-trade retailer Ten Thousand Villages is winding down its corporate operations by liquidating inventory and closing 10 company-run stores across the country, the Mennonite Central Committee Canada announced Tuesday.

Winnipeg's two Ten Thousand Villages locations (963 Henderson Hwy. and 134 Plaza Dr.) will be shuttered March 31 and May 29, respectively.

Eight independently-operated Ten Thousand Villages stores, including two Manitoba locations (Steinbach and Brandon), will remain open under a licensing agreement with MCC Canada.

Some independent stores, including locations in B.C., Ontario and New Brunswick, will also be closing. Canada's first Ten Thousand Villages location, an independent store in Altona, shut down at the end of 2019.

https://www.winnipegfreepress.com/lo...567174992.html

That is a sad story. I did most of my Christmas shopping there this year.

pegcity Jan 22, 2020 8:19 AM

I do most of my fair trade shopping on Amazon nowadays, as most people do. Sign of the times!

1ajs Jan 22, 2020 9:46 AM

amazons is in no way fair trade heh

BubberMiley Jan 22, 2020 3:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by buzzg (Post 8799540)
Saks in the outlet mall (in the suburbs) had such high theft they stopped using their own entrance. Theft is not a downtown problem.

Not true. I entered and exited through Saks yesterday.

Kinguni Jan 22, 2020 7:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeff (Post 8807438)
^^^ the plaza drive location of that store was always a weird spot IMO. i suspect it to be quickly redeveloped into residential being a river lot in an extremely high-visibilty location.

The store is just a small part of the building. The rest is MCC offices.

Jeff Jan 23, 2020 2:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kinguni (Post 8808118)
The store is just a small part of the building. The rest is MCC offices.

ya, after posted that I googled street-viewed the building and realized there was an office component to the building. still could be a more intensively used site if they ever vacated that location entirely.

anywho, I spoke too soon about the malls not losing tenants lately with the carlton cards thing. womp womp.

Randall Stevens Jan 23, 2020 4:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cllew (Post 8790886)
Staples Portage Place also had in store signage saying they are reducing their hours, I wonder if its related to the Bay hours change?

I recall seeing the change in store hours posted at the Staples entrance in mid December. The Bay didn’t announce theirs until the new year.

bomberjet Jan 23, 2020 6:46 PM

Jeff Jan 23, 2020 9:20 PM

now bench (polo, st. vital and outlet collection locations) is gone! coryB was right about the january annoucements for store bankruptcy filings!

bomberjet Jan 23, 2020 9:22 PM

Tis the season. Or twas I guess. The post Christmas adjustment period is here.

Jeff Jan 23, 2020 9:26 PM

i actually think that the new trend could possibly be shrinking malls to the new retail reality. kildonan place, grant park and garden city seem to be in good shape due their smaller sizes. if i was a betting man, i'd say polo would be more inclined to raze the sears space rather trying to fill it, hence their insistance on developing residential on the property.