SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   Never Built & Visionary Projects (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=342)
-   -   CHICAGO | Conservatory Tower | 82 FLOORS (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=156242)

shaberko Aug 21, 2008 2:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CHAPINM1 (Post 3747552)
Despite the differences between the two cities, Chicago and New York DO share quite a bit of traits between a few different buidlings. By no means is this bad, but I'm just noting that both are great and there are more simularities than one would think. For instance the following buildings can easily compare and are similar in a lot of ways:

Aqua (Chicago) - Beekman Place (New York) Difference in height by roughly 40 feet and by 5 - 10 floors, the concepts are similar in addition to the wavy/striking designs.

John Hancock Center (Chicago) - Girasole (New York) Despite the major difference in floors, the heights of both differ by only 127 feet and the concepts for both are similar.

Conservatory Tower (Chicago) - Citigroup (New York) Major difference in floors, yet environmentaly friendly concepts are there plus the slanted roofs! The heights for both may be in the same neighborhood as well.

You forgot probably the most obvious ones: The Chrysler Building and Two Prudential Plaza

CHAPINM1 Aug 21, 2008 3:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shaberko (Post 3748881)
You forgot probably the most obvious ones: The Chrysler Building and Two Prudential Plaza

Your absolutely right, they are similar in both height, floors, AND design. In this case Two Prudential Plaza is the Chrysler Buildings little brother. ;)

FrancoRey Aug 21, 2008 3:48 AM

What a great looking tower! Yes, Citigroup definitely came to mind when I saw the bottom and slanted top. Except I like the glass-faced upgrade as well as the snazzy looking greenhouse on bottom. Jealousy and envy strike again! Very nice, Chicago. :tup:

Untitled Aug 21, 2008 8:19 AM

I like it a lot.

SlatsGrobnik Aug 21, 2008 3:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chicagoguy (Post 3748151)
It is sad that Park Michigan and Wolf Point died.

I hadn't heard that Wolf Point was officially dead. Franklin Point died. Is that what you were thinking of?

Nowhereman1280 Aug 21, 2008 3:41 PM

^^^ Wolf Point is not dead, I recently heard they are still working on the plans for it...

Chicagoguy Aug 21, 2008 4:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nowhereman1280 (Post 3749820)
^^^ Wolf Point is not dead, I recently heard they are still working on the plans for it...

I am aware that the original Franklin Point proposal is dead which is unfortunate...but I was just meaning the orignal design for Wolf Point is dead. They are still planning on developing the site eventually but latest I heard it will be nothing like the original plan...not as tall. From what I heard last they wanted to put a couple thin condo towers anchored by a possible supertall?

X-fib2 Aug 21, 2008 4:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nowhereman1280 (Post 3749820)

I don't think Wolf Point is dead either, just moving at a snails pace, probably waiting for market conditions to improve.

Chicagoguy Aug 21, 2008 6:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by X-fib2 (Post 3749965)
I don't think Wolf Point is dead either, just moving at a snails pace, probably waiting for market conditions to improve.

Which Wolf Point project are you talking about? The supertall proposed a few years ago that was like 140 floors? I am confused which proposal you are talking about?

America 117 Aug 21, 2008 6:23 PM

This building looks like citigroup center in NY.

America 117 Aug 21, 2008 6:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CHAPINM1 (Post 3747552)

John Hancock Center (Chicago) - Girasole (New York) Despite the major difference in floors, the heights of both differ by only 127 feet and the concepts for both are similar.

I dont see how JHC looks like the girasole.
I would say that JHC looks like 3 world trade center and the hights are the same too.
http://lowermanhattan.info/construct...s/Rogers-1.jpg
Sorry to get a little off topic

X-fib2 Aug 21, 2008 8:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chicagoguy (Post 3750134)
Which Wolf Point project are you talking about? The supertall proposed a few years ago that was like 140 floors? I am confused which proposal you are talking about?

There was an announcement earlier this year or last year, regarding a tower at Wold Point that was to be about the height of Trump. There was some discussion about this in the boom thread I think. Havn't heard anything since.

Just so we don't get too off track, I do like this proposal!

Lecom Aug 21, 2008 8:10 PM

The tower's OK but the base/street treatment are awesome.

Nowhereman1280 Aug 21, 2008 8:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chicagoguy (Post 3750134)

The original proposal years ago is completely dead, but the proposal by Vorando and the Kennedy family made last year with two 50ish story buildings and a 80-90 story supertall in the middle are not even close to dead. That is the most recent proposal and really the only Wolf Point proposal of late that has any meat on its bones...

woodrow Aug 21, 2008 8:49 PM

Have to say, this is an awful location. Hate it being right next to 77 W. Wacker. Also, that awesome view they are showing? It will never be seen like that, what with the L tracks running right next to the base.

Chicagoguy Aug 21, 2008 9:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nowhereman1280 (Post 3750455)
The original proposal years ago is completely dead, but the proposal by Vorando and the Kennedy family made last year with two 50ish story buildings and a 80-90 story supertall in the middle are not even close to dead. That is the most recent proposal and really the only Wolf Point proposal of late that has any meat on its bones...

O well I know that one isnt dead...but as of now it isnt even a real proposal yet...just a bunch of talk and ideas from what I heard! Has there been any renderings released yet?

And I agree that the location for Conservatory Tower could be much better. It seems like it would fit in great in LSE, Streeterville, or possibly even the South Loop?

i_am_hydrogen Aug 21, 2008 9:17 PM

This thread is for discussion of the Conservacy Tower. If you want to talk about Wolf Point, please do so in the Boom Rundown thread. Any subsequent off-topic posts will be deleted.

America 117 Aug 22, 2008 3:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Plokoon11 (Post 3747520)
This tower looks very un safe.

Whats unsafe about it?:shrug:

Chicagoguy Aug 22, 2008 7:12 AM

Now back to Conservatory Tower? Does anyone know when we might see a sales center start to open for this one? Or when serious marketing might start?

Northwest Aug 22, 2008 5:03 PM

Agreed on the relatively poor choice of location for this design. I wouldnt want such a nice looking 900' tower to get largely hidden behind 77 W Wacker and Waterview. That greenhouse like base just screams out for sunlight.