SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   San Antonio (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=447)
-   -   {SA} Old Joske's building sold, downtown Dillard's to close... Great news inside! (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=152309)

sakyle04 Aug 13, 2008 1:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sirkingwilliam (Post 3731999)
Correction:

keep it mind I was told it's very tentative however very likely*

oldmanshirt and i will be the first buyers at MacyView Heights!!!

:haha: :banana: :banana: :haha:

kornbread Aug 13, 2008 2:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sirkingwilliam (Post 3731939)
I was given some slight details today about this redevelopment and if what I was told does happen, keep it mind I was told it's very tentative however very, then we are in for something special. There has been a major change from the original three phase plan first presented for Rivercenter Mall. That's the reason the Dillard's was bought and the reason Macy's will soon be bought out as well, because the owner/developer AAC wants to go big time with the mall. I'm talking about something that will change the downtown landscape like never before.

I didn't get specifics like building heights as that's either yet to be determined or if it has been hasn't been released yet.

But from what I was told, expect TWO towers! One a hotel the other either hotel/residential combo or residential by itself.

Let's keep our fingers crossed.

I thought this was their plan all along? IF everything happens, they were to build a new garage on the empty lot near the Marriott, then turn the Commerce street garage into a hotel with the possibility of adding another in place of the garage near the theatre.

I think that empty lot is there in the first place because the original developer of the mall left open the possibility of adding office or a second hotel to the mall.

oldmanshirt Aug 13, 2008 3:34 PM

^^^This is the first I've heard of there being two towers in the works.

sakyle04 Aug 13, 2008 3:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kornbread (Post 3732595)
I think that empty lot is there in the first place because the original developer of the mall left open the possibility of adding office or a second hotel to the mall.

that would make sense, but the plans released intended to build a parking garage on that lot in order to utilize the current garage space on commerce...

how much more savvy to utilize both the commerce st frontage and macy's (which is neighbor to marriott rivercenter)....

if marriott intended to expand their DT convention presence (with the grand hyatt threatening to steal a little of their thunder as the new large convention host hotel), they would be wise to purchase or otherwise make use of the macy's space, which would allow them a larger convention footprint.

and what is marriott's upscale brand? ritz-carlton, people. the same that was rumored to be the brand for that hotel site long ago. perhaps a little partnership is in the works that would allow them to build the upscale hotel and use the combined ballroom/convention space as one...thereby remaining the convention hotel champion of SA...

and all of this (which is beautiful speculation, right?) would mean that the commerce street location (rc comedy garage) would be in prime position to become the residential portion of the deal.

even two 25-story towers would dramatically thicken up the skyline over there....

sirkingwilliam Aug 13, 2008 5:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kornbread (Post 3732595)
I thought this was their plan all along? IF everything happens, they were to build a new garage on the empty lot near the Marriott, then turn the Commerce street garage into a hotel with the possibility of adding another in place of the garage near the theatre.

The original plan only had one tower, a hotel. Also, the original plan had the Dillards and Macy's in place.

sakyle04 Aug 22, 2008 1:12 PM

Don't know if this is related at all, but Brentano's Bookstore in RiverCenter has closed. http://blogs.mysanantonio.com/weblog...s_doors_1.html

I wouldn't be as interested in this closing if it weren't for the fact that Brentano's is right up against Market St. It's at the end of the line that Tony Roma's is on, so not really "in the mall" at all. That would be the area that is part of the makeover, if I am not mistaken.

Perhaps, like Dillards, this is making way for work to be done?

sirkingwilliam Aug 22, 2008 1:36 PM

That's exactly what is occurring. Current tenants in the area of new development will be begin to close/relocate so the construction of the upscale restaurants can begin.

sirkingwilliam Aug 22, 2008 8:18 PM

AAC is being quite ambitious with Rivercenter. I've heard there may be a name change.

alexjon Aug 22, 2008 8:27 PM

They can't!

I love that name-- it's so awesome

KeepSanAntonioLame Aug 22, 2008 8:34 PM

It's a pretty good name. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

sirkingwilliam Aug 22, 2008 8:43 PM

If I were a betting man, I'd bet they'd leave Rivercenter in place.

alexjon Aug 22, 2008 8:50 PM

Unless they change it without telling anyone about it first... if everyone finds out beforehand, there will be uproar and such

ydoc14 Aug 22, 2008 8:52 PM

Anybody wanna come up w/ a new name like we did for everything else lol.

Hmmm...I'm guessing , that if they changed it they'd want a name that sounds upscale and interesting, but has something to do w/ San Antonio. How about "Yanaguana" or "Padua"

And yes I know that the riverboat rides are already called "Yanaguana"...but make them give it up!

ydoc14 Aug 22, 2008 8:55 PM

Wait that's it!! The boats can dock in the lagoon area and it can be called Port Yanaguana

alexjon Aug 22, 2008 8:55 PM

It'll be "The Shops at" something. The Shops at Yanaguana.

sakyle04 Aug 22, 2008 9:54 PM

Vista del Yanaguana Heights.com/blog

sakyle04 Aug 26, 2008 6:12 PM

From the MySa downtown blog - more evidence of the work being started on this project. The Rio Cruise tickets area is being moved for construction. They'll probably achor the new 90-story Yanaguana Vista condo building when its all said and done. ;)

http://blogs.mysanantonio.com/weblogs/downtown/
Quote:

In case you've missed it, there are big plans for Rivercenter Mall, not the least of which is the redevelopment of the Joske's Building, which is why Dillard's is no longer there.
The ticket sale location for Rio Cruises, the company that runs the river barge tours, is moving to the Rivercenter Mall lagoon area, while construction begins around the Commerce Street bridge area of the River Walk, where it is currently located. The start date is still up in the air.

sirkingwilliam Aug 26, 2008 7:43 PM

Kyle, did you get my pm?

sakyle04 Aug 26, 2008 9:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sirkingwilliam (Post 3759942)
Kyle, did you get my pm?

got it - returned.

alexjon Oct 21, 2008 6:28 PM

Steers and Beers can't pay their bills, apparently.