SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/index.php)
-   Manitoba & Saskatchewan (http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/forumdisplay.php?f=129)
-   -   Winnipeg Vs. Ottawa (http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=144097)

Donovanf Jan 11, 2008 1:26 PM

Winnipeg Vs. Ottawa
 
Winnipeg takes aim at Ottawa's longest rink record

The Canadian Press

January 11, 2008 at 6:11 AM EST

WINNIPEG — In the 2008 edition of the race to be home to the world's longest skating rink, Winnipeg is about to take an early lead on Ottawa.

And yet, both cities face challenges before either can officially declare itself the champion.

At 6 p.m. Friday, a 1.5-kilometre stretch of the Assiniboine River between The Forks and the Osborne Street bridge will open for public skating, complete with skate-change areas, benches and fire pots for warmth.

It is the first section of a trail officials hope will be, by season's end, an eight-kilometre ribbon of properly flooded and smoothed ice, stretching along the Assiniboine from Omand's Creek to The Forks and then about two kilometres north on the Red River to Voyageur Park.

This winter marks the first time in the 20-year history of public skating on Winnipeg's rivers that the city will make a concerted effort to produce a longer skating rink than the Rideau Canal Skateway in the national capital, officials say.

With its views of the Chateau Laurier hotel and Parliament Hill, the 7.8-kilometre Rideau skateway, registered as the world's largest naturally frozen ice surface by Guinness World Records, is better-known by Canadians as a winter attraction than Winnipeg's trail.

ILYR Jan 11, 2008 4:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Donovanf (Post 3274869)
Winnipeg takes aim at Ottawa's longest rink record

The Canadian Press

January 11, 2008 at 6:11 AM EST

WINNIPEG — In the 2008 edition of the race to be home to the world's longest skating rink, Winnipeg is about to take an early lead on Ottawa.

And yet, both cities face challenges before either can officially declare itself the champion.

At 6 p.m. Friday, a 1.5-kilometre stretch of the Assiniboine River between The Forks and the Osborne Street bridge will open for public skating, complete with skate-change areas, benches and fire pots for warmth.

It is the first section of a trail officials hope will be, by season's end, an eight-kilometre ribbon of properly flooded and smoothed ice, stretching along the Assiniboine from Omand's Creek to The Forks and then about two kilometres north on the Red River to Voyageur Park.

This winter marks the first time in the 20-year history of public skating on Winnipeg's rivers that the city will make a concerted effort to produce a longer skating rink than the Rideau Canal Skateway in the national capital, officials say.

With its views of the Chateau Laurier hotel and Parliament Hill, the 7.8-kilometre Rideau skateway, registered as the world's largest naturally frozen ice surface by Guinness World Records, is better-known by Canadians as a winter attraction than Winnipeg's trail.

I have had the opportunity to skate on both and I think they are both very unique with respect to winter attractions. One thing I am very impressed about the set up in Winnipeg is at the Forks on the Assiniboine there is also a large hockey rink (with lines and nets, but on snow around the edge), a couple of curling lanes, and an expanded skating area. All of this in addition to skating rink and paths on land around the forks buildings.

1ajs Jan 11, 2008 4:27 PM

WOW were did this come from? this belongs in the canada section...

Aylmer Jan 11, 2008 5:15 PM

But the Rideau Canal has BeaverTail stands!

1ajs Jan 11, 2008 6:27 PM

?

Keng Jan 11, 2008 6:42 PM

I think this is long overdue. The Canal in Ottawa is very well known. Hopefully this will give the River Trail a much needed marketing boost. If it does surpass Ottawa, let's hope Canada AM etc. run a story or two, for some national coverage. I suppose making Guinness would help greatly.

I've been to the canal as well, and it certainly has the advantage of more build up, and I can't recall if they have room for expansion. Do they not have a lock system at one end to eliminate expansion?

One potential advantage of global warming...just kidding!

someone123 Jan 11, 2008 7:49 PM

Is an outdoor body of water that freezes naturally really a "rink"?

vid Jan 11, 2008 7:51 PM

Thunder Bay so has to paint a gigantic hockey rink on Thunder Bay. :)

(The folly of naming your town after the body of water beside which it sits.)

drew Jan 11, 2008 9:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by someone123 (Post 3275712)
Is an outdoor body of water that freezes naturally really a "rink"?

maybe not "per se", but this surface on the river is groomed and flooded for a smooth skating surface...

harls Jan 11, 2008 9:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Keng (Post 3275561)
I've been to the canal as well, and it certainly has the advantage of more build up, and I can't recall if they have room for expansion. Do they not have a lock system at one end to eliminate expansion?

There's locks at both ends. The canal didn't open until late January last year, and closed in March. This year, it looks like the same thing's going to happen.. it's still not open yet.

Winnipeg should have the Beavertail pastry shacks posted on the river... those places make a killing.

Ruckus Jan 11, 2008 10:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AylmerOptimist (Post 3275341)
But the Rideau Canal has BeaverTail stands!

BeaverTail stands :shrug:

Quote:

Originally Posted by harls (Post 3276033)
There's locks at both ends. The canal didn't open until late January last year, and closed in March. This year, it looks like the same thing's going to happen.. it's still not open yet.

Winnipeg should have the Beavertail pastry shacks posted on the river... those places make a killing.

Beavertail pastry shacks, hmmm....

http://wikitravel.org/upload/en/thum...Beavertail.JPG
Source

http://www.tdc.ca/beavertails.jpg
Source

Yeah Winnipeg, you guys need some beavertail stands.

vid Jan 12, 2008 12:05 AM

Elephant Ears are better. :frog:

Aylmer Jan 12, 2008 12:33 AM

Can't argue with that logic...

vid Jan 12, 2008 12:47 AM

I know. :)

Aylmer Jan 12, 2008 1:15 AM

:) :)

ILYR Jan 12, 2008 1:26 AM

Here are some pictures of the Forks last winter where they have the hockey and curling along the skating trail.

http://www.ualberta.ca/~drogge/images/DSC02840.JPG
http://www.ualberta.ca/~drogge/images/DSC02841.JPG
http://www.ualberta.ca/~drogge/images/DSC02843.JPG

Coldrsx Jan 12, 2008 1:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AylmerOptimist (Post 3275341)
But the Rideau Canal has BeaverTail stands!

AMEN:notacrook: :banana:

1ajs Jan 12, 2008 2:42 AM

some from last year :P

http://img251.imageshack.us/img251/420/hocky16lc.jpg


http://img151.imageshack.us/img151/2103/waterfun6qe.jpg


http://img225.imageshack.us/img225/7843/voya0kq.jpg


http://img110.imageshack.us/img110/3616/hocky48zf.jpg

http://img266.imageshack.us/img266/8213/board94yl.jpg

dennis Jan 12, 2008 10:07 PM

There used to be a place that sold Beavertails at the Forks Market that didn't do to well.

rrskylar Jan 13, 2008 5:50 AM

Maybe Winnipeg's new catch phrase could be:

"Our rivers freeze!"


All times are GMT. The time now is 12:59 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.