SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   Canada (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   Should Manitoba be allowed to have its own national team in intl sports tournaments? (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=241834)

thurmas Feb 14, 2020 4:13 PM

Should Manitoba be allowed to have its own national team in intl sports tournaments?

With all of the silly Quebec threads posted on recently here for no apparent reason why not let Manitoba have our own international sport teams competing against the world if Scotland and England can why not the Keystone province too?

Luisito Feb 14, 2020 4:19 PM

What would Manitobans compete in though? Skidooing? Knife throwing? Ice fishing? Potato sack racing? :shrug:

Dengler Avenue Feb 14, 2020 4:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Luisito (Post 8831173)
What would Manitobans compete in though? Skidooing? Knife throwing? Ice fishing? Potato sack racing? :shrug:

Knife throwing what the heck... :haha:

thurmas Feb 14, 2020 4:22 PM

Definitely knife throwing and pierogi eating contests.

VANRIDERFAN Feb 14, 2020 4:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thurmas (Post 8831182)

Underaged pulling beer from the bar!

Luisito Feb 14, 2020 4:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VANRIDERFAN (Post 8831196)
Underaged pulling beer from the bar!

Sigghhh....You just ruined the thread with that comment.

Calgarian Feb 14, 2020 5:23 PM

Quote:

Oh Alberta has you hosers beat on that, wait... hoser is a term for a Canadian...:uhh:

OldDartmouthMark Feb 14, 2020 5:27 PM

Yes... but why stop at the provincial level? All cities should have their own international sports teams, or we could break it up by neighborhood, actually.

It would all be equally meaningful... :D

TorontoDrew Feb 14, 2020 5:28 PM

"Should Manitoba be allowed to have its own national team in intl sports tournaments?"

Go for it, they will almost always place last and never be taken seriously. A small population means a small pool of talent. I mean you might pull off best Curling Team from time to time but any other real sport good luck placing. You may not even qualify for events most of the time.

How many more non-urban threads can you start up today? :shrug:

Luisito Feb 14, 2020 5:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TorontoDrew (Post 8831284)
I mean you might pull off best Curling Team from time to time but any other real sport good luck placing.

Don't forget knife and axe throwing.

Jaws Feb 14, 2020 5:52 PM

Quote:

What's up with this spelling of perogy? My wife is Ukrainian from behind the garlic curtain in SK and that's not how her family spells it. If it's the Polish spelling, then it's wrong (according to the Ukes)
edit. wasn't aware there was so many English spellings.

Luisito Feb 14, 2020 6:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jaws (Post 8831317)
What's up with this spelling of perogy? My wife is Ukrainian from behind the garlic curtain in SK and that's not how her family spells it. If it's the Polish spelling, then it's wrong (according to the Ukes)

Does she make pyerojis at home?

Jaws Feb 14, 2020 6:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Luisito (Post 8831337)
Does she make pyerojis at home?

:tup:

Acajack Feb 14, 2020 6:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jaws (Post 8831317)

There are many spellings but that seems to be the most common one by far.

What is the alternative? п’єроги?

Nathan Feb 14, 2020 8:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Acajack (Post 8831377)
There are many spellings but that seems to be the most common one by far.

What is the alternative? п’єроги?

The technical Ukrainian terms would be:

Пироги (Pyrohy) and Вареники (Varenyky).

Pyrohy are fried; Varenyky are boiled (comes from the verb Varyty, which is to boil).

In Canada, we've generally never said Varenyky, but gone with Perogy (pre-standard transliteration, which is still in flux, and the Ukrainian style h doesn't really exist in English, though it's close).

Fun fact... Perogy or Pierogi are already plural words, so when we sat perogies or pierogis, we're pluralizing a plural. :yes:

esquire Feb 14, 2020 9:05 PM

Manitoba would be a world power in curling, that much I can say for sure.

I think we'd be decent at hockey, obviously not up there with ROC, USA and Russia but maybe in with the tier two countries like Slovakia.

Beyond that who cares... if we stink at men's soccer, well, that's no different than the current situation.

I could get behind this plan thurmas :)

esquire Feb 14, 2020 9:07 PM

Incidentally perogies are my favourite food. If I was being sent to the gallows and had to choose my last meal it would be perogies, fried onions, a generous dollop of sour cream, and some garlic sausage on the side. Might as well wash it down with some vodka too. OH YEAH

Acajack Feb 14, 2020 9:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by esquire (Post 8831608)
Manitoba would be a world power in curling, that much I can say for sure.

I think we'd be decent at hockey, obviously not up there with ROC, USA and Russia but maybe in with the tier two countries like Slovakia.

Beyond that who cares... if we stink at men's soccer, well, that's no different than the current situation.

I could get behind this plan thurmas :)

Et tu, esquire?

esquire Feb 14, 2020 9:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Acajack (Post 8831614)
Et tu, esquire?

Contemplating this little taste of independence has left me wanting more

esquire Feb 14, 2020 9:45 PM

I give you Team Manitoba:

Helm-Toews-Stone
Martinook-Steen-Weise
Calvert-Zajac-Reaves
Leipsic-Eakin-Fehr

Keith-Hamonic
Edmundson-Stone
Pulock-Bowey

Reimer
Driedger

There's also an impressive crop of Manitoba kids coming up through the WHL right now which would probably beef up the depth in another year or so. Joel Hofer and Max Paddock could duke it out for the backup goalie role, and you'd think there would have to be room for scoring ace Seth Jarvis and defensive playmakers Dawson Barteaux and Max Martin.

Maybe not gold medal material but they'd win some games.