SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/index.php)
-   Never Built & Visionary Projects (http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/forumdisplay.php?f=342)
-   -   CHICAGO | Chicago Spire | 610 M / 2,000 FT | 150 FLOORS | NEVER BUILT (http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=153494)

MrLakepoint Oct 11, 2008 9:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Beck4ABigChicago (Post 3850077)
^
i tink dat construkshun shuld might be untel da next precsident on hold untul tomorow. but wen wil construckshun top owt? I tink da markts might b a litle shaky.

Classic post kayo

OMG....I laughed so hard that I almost started to cry. That was AWESOME....:haha:

SNT1 Oct 11, 2008 10:58 PM

Quote:

^
i tink dat construkshun shuld might be untel da next precsident on hold untul tomorow. but wen wil construckshun top owt? I tink da markts might b a litle shaky.
i think some iced tea just came out of my nose reading that.

Well played.

And I just noticed---what the heck does "PENDING" mean (referring to title?) First time I've seen it, is that some sort of "ON HOLD LITE" status?

Tom In Chicago Oct 11, 2008 11:43 PM

^That's exactly what it means. . .;)

America 117 Oct 12, 2008 2:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by F1 Tommy (Post 3849601)
Not looking to good with the European bank problems and Iceland meltdown.
Hope the capital injections get enough cash flow to allow this project to get back on track. As long as its done by the Chicago 2016 Olympics I will be happy!

Andy, hope you have a great time in Chicago. The September weather is
almost always the best for the Great Lakes. This year its October.
Global warming!!!:) Love your videos.

I heard Iceland went bankrupt!:( :( :( :( Thats really bad for all of europe.

jjk1103 Oct 12, 2008 3:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by America 117 (Post 3851592)
I heard Iceland went bankrupt!:( :( :( :( Thats really bad for all of europe.

well, it's REALLY bad for Iceland ! :haha: :haha: :haha: :haha:

andydie Oct 12, 2008 5:12 PM

hiya
 
Hiya guys and gals,

had a great time so far in town. Went to the Shedd Aquarium and the Adler Planetarium on Friday and met a real life astronaut there who was in for the 50th NASA anniversary. Saturday John aka jjk1103 drove me around town to see the University Campus and the Museum of Science and Industrie on one site and all the way north to the other site where we had a nice dinner. After dropping me of near Millenium Park i checked out A/ON, BCBS and AQUA in person and spent a nice afternoon relaxing in the park checking out the BEAN and the Fountains with the funny faces. In the evening I really enjoyed our group gathering and meeting BVIC, HarryC, Tom in Chicago and ChicagoShawn and a few others in person. I had a great time and now a nice relaxing Sunday sleeping long to avoid the Marathon Crowds. So it was a great visit to the city, just sad that I have to leave tomorrow afternoon.

Greets Andy

ethereal_reality Oct 12, 2008 9:02 PM

andydie...if you brought this weather, would you mind leaving it.

Catmendue2 Oct 12, 2008 11:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by andydie (Post 3852152)
Hiya guys and gals,

had a great time so far in town. Went to the Shedd Aquarium and the Adler Planetarium on Friday and met a real life astronaut there who was in for the 50th NASA anniversary. Saturday John aka jjk1103 drove me around town to see the University Campus and the Museum of Science and Industrie on one site and all the way north to the other site where we had a nice dinner. After dropping me of near Millenium Park i checked out A/ON, BCBS and AQUA in person and spent a nice afternoon relaxing in the park checking out the BEAN and the Fountains with the funny faces. In the evening I really enjoyed our group gathering and meeting BVIC, HarryC, Tom in Chicago and ChicagoShawn and a few others in person. I had a great time and now a nice relaxing Sunday sleeping long to avoid the Marathon Crowds. So it was a great visit to the city, just sad that I have to leave tomorrow afternoon.

Greets Andy


Great to hear you had a great time. I know how you must feel having to leave, have a safe trip home and do come back soon.:yes:

jjk1103 Oct 13, 2008 3:03 AM

.....ok, be sure that you take us around Germany when we get over there (if the dollar vs Euro ever drops).........:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

FrancoRey Oct 13, 2008 6:03 PM

Well, I guess they could always turn it into a Halloween attraction called "The Pit" to get some extra revenues. Think of the creepy stairway-like haunted house you could put inside that hole! :haha: :evil: :eek:

harryc Oct 14, 2008 12:49 AM

Oct 13 - am
 
From above
http://lh3.ggpht.com/harry.r.carmich...0/P1090850.JPG


higer res
2007 series
2008 Q1 series
2008 Q2 series
2008 Q3 & 4 series


http://lh4.ggpht.com/harry.r.carmich...0/P1090825.JPG


http://lh3.ggpht.com/harry.r.carmich...0/P1090837.JPG

I can see the logic behind this, but it is sad. Everyone seemed drawn to the edge, the view must have been inspiring.
http://lh3.ggpht.com/harry.r.carmich...0/P1090854.JPG

jcchii Oct 14, 2008 3:28 AM

starting to look a little sad, but we're all hopeful

chex Oct 14, 2008 5:11 AM

damn, the fence doesnt look good at all, or promising, but could it have any other mean? i dont know, some kind of protection for the workers around while digging the other side? i dont know! probably?

Beck4ABigChicago Oct 14, 2008 6:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chex (Post 3854349)
damn, the fence doesnt look good at all, or promising, but could it have any other mean? i dont know, some kind of protection for the workers around while digging the other side? i dont know! probably?

Yea, I would be curious to hear from some of the forumers who work in the industry whether this is something they have seen before (the fence). It appears from Harry's pictures that there is only a single entrance in the fence and it is meant to be used by individuals rather than any sort of machinery. That really is the only thing I took from the pictures but that is enough to sadden me a little. BUT, good things come to those who wait.

I foresee....Wall St is done playing us off each other now that its got its cheap money from us, the market will solidify and credit will loosen, and in the 6 to 10 months this takes to happen, the Spire will fill. GK, now facing a stronger market, will bring together his teams of people to brainstorm what should be done with all these people who want a room in the now-sold-out Spire. He will consider two options: 1) build another, 2) increase the size of what has already sold out to accommodate more buyers at higher prices :tup:

Aight, sorry to get off-topic a bit, but my point is that I, without and quantitative evidence, have a feeling this thing will continue to sell units. Many may stay on the sidelines, but there will still be some. I will be interested to see if a building like this, or should I say a building being marketed like this (as a Calatrava, one of a kind master-piece) will sell out in spite of this financial "meltdown."

jet cm Oct 14, 2008 11:52 AM

Dalton's wheelbarrow
 
I don't get over there much and can't tell from HarryC's pic. Look for electrical power wiring to that trailer. That trailer has an electric heater that needs at least 100A. No power means nobody's using it.

cbotnyse Oct 14, 2008 12:01 PM

Governments around the world are taking unprecedented steps to bring liquidity back to the debt markets. Hopefully these steps will restore confidence in projects like this. Also lets not forget the Olympic bid will be announced a year from now. If Chicago gets it, I think that will ignite another speculative fire, with the Spire leading the way.

:fingerscrossed: :fingerscrossed: :fingerscrossed: :fingerscrossed: :fingerscrossed:

10023 Oct 14, 2008 2:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cbotnyse (Post 3854606)
Governments around the world are taking unprecedented steps to bring liquidity back to the debt markets. Hopefully these steps will restore confidence in projects like this. Also lets not forget the Olympic bid will be announced a year from now. If Chicago gets it, I think that will ignite another speculative fire, with the Spire leading the way.

:fingerscrossed: :fingerscrossed: :fingerscrossed: :fingerscrossed: :fingerscrossed:

That may be the only hope for this thing at this point.

It will be interesting to find out how Kelleher's other business are doing. Irish and UK property markets are not too hot right now.

andydie Oct 14, 2008 4:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ethereal_reality (Post 3852393)
andydie...if you brought this weather, would you mind leaving it.

if I could I would give you that weather all year, lol.

Well Sunday i slept long and was bored so after the Marathon was over i took a cab to the Sears Tower to go on its skydeck too. What an awesome view. Then i walked back downtown to see Waterview, 300NL and the RR Donelley Building up close. Then at Trump they were doing some filming for ER and that was interesting to catch. Sadly when i returned back to my hotel i missed the sidewalk and hit the road a bit hard and hurt my ankle a lil but I was glad that it was better the next morning. So I met early_buyer in a Dunkin Donuts for an hour which was really nice cause he is a cool guy too. After that i said fairwell to the city and checked out Noon Monday and went to the airport. The flight back was ok, just the landing sucked cause i had ear pains. Gladly its much better now after I arrived home and took some rest. All around it was an awesome trip to Chicagoland and it was so cool to meet many of you guys in person. Maybe I will be back next year! :tup:

Chicago Shawn Oct 14, 2008 7:34 PM

^It was great meeting you Andy.

Quote:

Originally Posted by chex (Post 3854349)
damn, the fence doesnt look good at all, or promising, but could it have any other mean? i dont know, some kind of protection for the workers around while digging the other side? i dont know! probably?

My guess, this a required act to secure the site during the slowdown. When the site sits idle, there needs to be protection from idiots who may trespass and hurt or kill themselfs by falling into the hole and then suing Shelborne, the city or whoever else they can. We don't need to worry until we see truckloads of sand and gravel filling the hole up, which all honesty IMO, we won't ever see because I truly believe this tower will be built eventually.

photoLith Oct 15, 2008 2:08 AM

^^^
How could they sue if they were dead? ;)

Well luckily the economy and stock market has looked a little better since yesterday but who knows what will happen. This tower will eventually get built, maybe next year maybe 5 years from now but it will def be before the chicago 2016 Olympics!


All times are GMT. The time now is 1:45 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.