SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   Proposals (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=361)
-   -   PHILADELPHIA | Schuylkill Yards Future Phases | 1,095 - 375 FT | 70 - 28 FLOORS (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=221324)

Boku Nov 3, 2017 7:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RonnieStevens (Post 7975387)
http://www.reuters.com/article/us-am...KBN1D328P?il=0

Could we assume that other Canadian cities would be out of the HQ2 race?

I doubt any Canadian city is destined for HQ2, but this news has nothing to do with it anyway.

Mr Saturn64 Nov 4, 2017 12:53 AM

Toronto might. It's quite the cosmopolitan city, isn't it? Just look at the diagram for Toronto - hundreds and hundreds of new projects. Still, being outside the country is a major disadvantage. Aside from that, they could be a real contender. I doubt anyone took Vancouver seriously if they made a proposal.

Gonzo the Great Nov 4, 2017 1:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr Saturn64 (Post 7975769)
Toronto might. It's quite the cosmopolitan city, isn't it? Just look at the diagram for Toronto - hundreds and hundreds of new projects. Still, being outside the country is a major disadvantage. Aside from that, they could be a real contender. I doubt anyone took Vancouver seriously if they made a proposal.

Umm , yes a few pages back . My list picked DC #1 , Toronto #2 , Queens / Staten Island #3 and every other
city in North America #4 .
I understand it might be a disadvantage because of being in Canada , but I believe it has at least as good a chance
as most other cities located in the US . :yes:

summersm343 Nov 7, 2017 4:23 PM

Brandywine makes two pitches for Amazon's HQ2 – for Philadelphia and Austin, Texas

Quote:

On the eve of Brandywine Realty Trust officially breaking ground on the first project of Schuylkill Yards, the real estate company has made two pitches to Amazon to locate its proposed HQ2 at its West Philadelphia project and in Austin, Texas.

Bradywine sent Amazon a 123-page supplement to the submissions that both the cities of Philadelphia and Austin made in their respective efforts to win the coveted second headquarters of the giant online retailer.

With the tagline “Two Cities. One Solution.” Brandywine struck a delicate balance not to pick a favorite between Philadelphia and Austin. However, there were some subtle hints of bias and in this case, that's okay because it seemed things tilted a tad more toward Philadelphia.

It consistently listed Philadelphia first even though one might put something like that in alphabetical order so not to look like there’s an element of prejudice. It also pitched Schuylkill Yards first, spending 29 pages to that development, and then 23 pages on a project is owns in Austin called Broadmoor that it is proposing Amazon consider for HQ2.

Brandywine is one of the largest owners of office properties in Austin and its Broadmoor campus is now mostly occupied by IBM Corp., and consists of about 1.1 million square feet in seven buildings. However, there’s 66 developable acres at Broadmoor that can accommodate 8.2 million square feet and upwards of 20 million square feet with additional entitlements. That would work for Amazon's HQ2.

Brandywine not only attempted to make a case for Philadelphia and Austin but for itself as well.

To that end, the company heavily focused on highlighting the work it has done in Philadelphia, which is where it is headquartered and owns the most trophy space in the city's Central Business District. To give credit where credit is due, Brandywine has done some ground breaking work in the city. The supplement it sent to Amazon showcases some of that including the company daring to venture into University City with Cira Centre, which was the first new office tower Philadelphia had seen in more than a decade.

“Brandwyine’s vision was to redefine the city’s skyline by building Cira Centre on top of the rail yards next to Amtrak’s 30th Street Station,” wrote Jerry Sweeney in a letter to Jeff Bezos, CEO of Amazon, that was part of the package. “We were met with everything from profound skepticism to outright disdain. Some called it bold. Most called it foolish. But for a few, there was an undeniable sense of giddy optimism. Our big dreams inspired many to reimagine the future of Philadelphia, igniting excitement for all that was yet to come. But first, we had to get Cira Centre built.”

Brandwyine (NYSE:BDN) did get Cira Centre built and went on to develop in University City an apartment building called Evo, FMC Tower at Cira Centre South, a unique open space called Cira Green and rehabilitated a massive old post office building. All of which laid the ground work for its most ambitious project yet and that’s Schuylkill Yards, which is a $3.5 billion new neighborhood that will be constructed over two decades and create a community focused on innovation.

Drexel University named Brandywine master planner for the massive development that will span over 14 acres and, at build out, consist of five million square feet of office, lab, residential, hotel, retail and open space.

Tomorrow, there will be an official ground breaking for Drexel Square, a keystone of the project. That involves a 1.3-acre park at 30th and Market streets that will be built on what is now a surface parking lot and directly across from 30th Street Station. The former Bulletin building will be re-imagined with a new facade.

In the appendix of the supplement to Amazon, Brandywine made one last plug. If Amazon doesn’t pick Schuylkill Yards or Broadmoor, Brandywine, in select markets, “can offer individual parcels to accommodate a portion of Amazon’s program.” Those sites include: 405 Colorado in Austin; Knight’s Crossing in Camden, N.J.; and 25M Southeast and 1250 First St. in Washington D.C.

“Thank you for the opportunity to introduce Brandywine Realty Trust to Amazon and for your thoughtful consideration,” Sweeney wrote in the closing of his letter to Bezos. “We share your ambitions for a more connected, inspired world. And we’re ready to help you build it.”
https://www.bizjournals.com/philadel...s-hq2-for.html

Boku Nov 7, 2017 4:46 PM

Here's the Austin slant that also mentions Schuylkill Yards:

More details on potential Amazon HQ2 site in Austin: A blank slate with up to 20M square feet

Quote:

Since Amazon.com Inc. collected 238 proposals from U.S. cities to house a second corporate headquarters for the e-commerce giant, few details about those enticements have surfaced.

One site in play in Austin is the IBM Corp. campus in North Austin, a parcel branded as Broadmoor by owner Brandywine Realty Trust, as Austin Business Journal reported previously. Now new details have emerged on the scope and angle of that particular pitch thanks to an online copy of the 123-page proposal.

In Austin, Brandywine (NYSE: BDN) has been one of the largest landlords of office properties. In 2015 it bought Broadmoor from IBM, although the computing company remains a tenant at the site near Burnet Road and Braker Lane.

Brandywine has much more ambitious plans and obviously would love for Amazon to be a big part of that vision.

Brandywine is doubling down on Amazon with Door No. 1 and Door No. 2, and I’ve uncovered the details with a brochure entitled, “HQ 2 Amazon: The Brandywine Difference.” The subtitle hints at choice with, “A supplement to the submissions of the cities of Philadelphia and Austin. Two Cities. One Solution.”

Brandywine President and CEO Jerry Sweeney begins the brochure with, “Dear Mr. Bezos,” and continues to tell the story of how Brandywine began with one audacious development in downtown Philadelphia more than a decade ago.

Broadmoor is introduced on page 48 as a “66-acre campus uniquely positioned as a virtual perfect match for Amazon HQ2 — a transit-oriented, mixed-use project with an extraordinary existing amenity base of The Domain — Austin’s ‘2nd Downtown.’”

The Broadmoor redevelopment is currently entitled for 8.2 million square feet of constructed space, but potentially could achieve another 20 million square feet, the brochure states. A formidable advantage of the site is that it's largely a blank slate that could accommodate high density housing, retail, hotels and other supplemental amenities.

The brochure goes on to highlight Brandywine’s overall expertise, corporate values, development process, current tenant base, community engagement, financial wherewithal, track record of sustainable building standards and a list of current development projects.

The promotion ends on page 123 very simply: “Thank you for your consideration.”
https://www.bizjournals.com/austin/n...2-site-in.html

Summers, the Philly Biz Journal says they sent this supplement in with both the Philly and Austin bids. You mentioned on another web site that Brandywine was actually allowed to give a private presentation to Amazon. Does that still hold up?

summersm343 Nov 7, 2017 4:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Boku (Post 7978753)
Here's the Austin slant that also mentions Schuylkill Yards:

More details on potential Amazon HQ2 site in Austin: A blank slate with up to 20M square feet

https://www.bizjournals.com/austin/n...2-site-in.html

Summers, the Philly Biz Journal says they sent this supplement in with both the Philly and Austin bids. You mentioned on another web site that Brandywine was actually allowed to give a private presentation to Amazon. Does that still hold up?

They're not supposed to say, as they signed non-disclosure agreements, but yes, they (Brandywine) presented privately to Amazon.

reparcsyks Nov 7, 2017 9:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by summersm343 (Post 7978761)
They're not supposed to say, as they signed non-disclosure agreements, but yes, they (Brandywine) presented privately to Amazon.

Of course they did. Anyone who doesn't believe there are strings being pulled and decisions already made should read PT Barnum's biography.

There is PR and then there is the real world. Let's hope Brandywine has enough clout to push Amazon to SY. I really have a feeling they do, otherwise they wouldn't have hastily bought the building at 30th & Market for far more than it's worth.

Mr Saturn64 Nov 7, 2017 11:37 PM

This is interesting because Austin is often listed as a top contender, if not most likely, while Philly often gets left off of these "most likely" lists. Most people would probably think Austin is the better option, and that may very well land it there. Even though I may be biased, I really do think there isn't a better proposal in the nation than Schuylkill Yards.

summersm343 Nov 7, 2017 11:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr Saturn64 (Post 7979286)
This is interesting because Austin is often listed as a top contender, if not most likely, while Philly often gets left off of these "most likely" lists. Most people would probably think Austin is the better option, and that may very well land it there. Even though I may be biased, I really do think there isn't a better proposal in the nation than Schuylkill Yards.

I have to agree with you. No other site in the country offers this much connectivity to the central core of said city, to other major cities (NYC, DC, Baltimore, Boston, etc.), to two international airports (PHL and Newark), to endless colleges and universities, to parks, highway, trains, subway, buses...etc. etc. etc.

No other site checks off literally every single box Amazon is looking for like Schuylkill Yards does. Add in an endless supply of human capital/easy recruitment capability along the East Coast and Europe/Middle East, and easy access to a never ending talent pool via surrounding universities in Penn, Drexel, Temple, Villanova, UDel, Princeton, Rutgers, Johns Hopkins, Penn State, Carnegie Mellon, Pitt, etc. etc. - you can easily recruit from every single on of those, and them still be within a 2 hour train ride or flight to their home city.

skyscraper Nov 8, 2017 12:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by summersm343 (Post 7979309)
I have to agree with you. No other site in the country offers this much connectivity to the central core of said city, to other major cities (NYC, DC, Baltimore, Boston, etc.), to two international airports (PHL and Newark), to endless colleges and universities, to parks, highway, trains, subway, buses...etc. etc. etc.

No other site checks off literally every single box Amazon is looking for like Schuylkill Yards does. Add in an endless supply of human capital/easy recruitment capability along the East Coast and Europe/Middle East, and easy access to a never ending talent pool via surrounding universities in Penn, Drexel, Temple, Villanova, UDel, Princeton, Rutgers, Johns Hopkins, Penn State, Carnegie Mellon, Pitt, etc. etc. - you can easily recruit from every single on of those, and them still be within a 2 hour train ride or flight to their home city.

I think I've said this before, but my theory is that Amazon has had Schuylkill Yards in mind all along. As you said, it checks too many of the boxes not to have been. But rather than just call up Brandywine and say, hey we'd like to be your tenant, they wanted to throw it open to North America to see how they could get Brandywine and the city to make it worth their while. So I think it's ours to lose. There are other attractive offers out there, to be sure, but I fail to see how any of them could match up as well as SY.
Or Amazon could just call an audible and go a completely different way, we should be prepared for that also.

MyDadBuiltThat Nov 8, 2017 12:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by reparcsyks (Post 7979101)
Of course they did. Anyone who doesn't believe there are strings being pulled and decisions already made should read PT Barnum's biography.

There is PR and then there is the real world. Let's hope Brandywine has enough clout to push Amazon to SY. I really have a feeling they do, otherwise they wouldn't have hastily bought the building at 30th & Market for far more than it's worth.

I was told by someone in the real estate biz and involved with an alternative, independent pitch to Amazon here that there was always only three cities in contention: Austin, Philadelphia and Chicago. I really hope they're right.

Mr Saturn64 Nov 8, 2017 2:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MyDadBuiltThat (Post 7979366)
I was told by someone in the real estate biz and involved with an alternative, independent pitch to Amazon here that there was always only three cities in contention: Austin, Philadelphia and Chicago. I really hope they're right.

That would be ideal, as we are probably the most likely out of those three. Others said Atlanta and Boston were going to get it, and having those two eliminated would be great. But then again, we don't know anything about this person, or how legit they are.

jjv007 Nov 8, 2017 2:56 AM

Quote:

A lot of "insider" people have been saying a lot of different things. Time will ultimately tell.

MyDadBuiltThat Nov 8, 2017 3:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr Saturn64 (Post 7979447)
That would be ideal, as we are probably the most likely out of those three. Others said Atlanta and Boston were going to get it, and having those two eliminated would be great. But then again, we don't know anything about this person, or how legit they are.

Forgot to emphasize my major point in my post - shouldn't write posts late at night. This company discussed their proposal with Amazon even though they are not part of the city's bid. Which would indicate that the official folks got to talk directly to Amazon too.

Urbanthusiat Nov 8, 2017 5:22 PM

Looks like today was the official Schuylkill Yards groundbreaking ceremony: https://twitter.com/BrandywineREIT/s...01578167218177

Quote:

Thank you to all our partners who worked tirelessly toward this day! #SYGroundBreaking

Boku Nov 8, 2017 6:56 PM

$3.5 billion Schuylkill Yards breaks ground on future park

Quote:

It’s really happening: Drexel University and Brandywine Realty Trust just broke ground on their ambitious $3.5 billion Schuylkill Yards project, about 18 months after they first announced their plans to transform 14 acres in University City into a leading innovation hub.

“At its core, Schuylkill Yards is centered around interaction, a place that encourages living, walking, collaboration, and fun,” said Brandywine Realty Trust’s CEO Jerry Sweeney. “What better way to embrace those ideas than by creating a park?”

The groundbreaking took place Wednesday morning at 3001 Market Street, which will be the site of the future 1.3-acre Drexel Square, an elliptical park designed by Shop Architects and West 8. The green space will replace what’s currently a parking lot across the street from 30th Street Station.

The first phase will include the buildout of the park, as well as 4.6 acres of residential, office, research, and retail development. Sweeney said that early next year, amid the park construction, the team will begin the revamp of the Bulletin Building and begin plans for the mixed-use towers.
https://philly.curbed.com/2017/11/8/...groundbreaking

summersm343 Nov 8, 2017 6:58 PM

New look at first tower - 3003 JFK:
https://cdn.vox-cdn.com/thumbor/WUN-...1.25.57_AM.png

New look at the new park - Drexel Square:
https://cdn.vox-cdn.com/thumbor/f5rF...1/0183_E10.jpg

https://cdn.vox-cdn.com/thumbor/lxWy...7/0183_E11.jpg

Quote:

It’s really happening: Drexel University and Brandywine Realty Trust just broke ground on their ambitious $3.5 billion Schuylkill Yards project, about 18 months after they first announced their plans to transform 14 acres in University City into a leading innovation hub.

“At its core, Schuylkill Yards is centered around interaction, a place that encourages living, walking, collaboration, and fun,” said Brandywine Realty Trust’s CEO Jerry Sweeney. “What better way to embrace those ideas than by creating a park?”

The groundbreaking took place Wednesday morning at 3001 Market Street, which will be the site of the future 1.3-acre Drexel Square, an elliptical park designed by Shop Architects and West 8. The green space will replace what’s currently a parking lot across the street from 30th Street Station.

Sweeney described the park as a both a “launching pad” and “centerpiece” for the innovation-driven neighborhood.

Drexel Square, Philly’s “the sixth square”

Along with a more than 12,000-square-foot elliptical green lawn, there will be custom-made granite benches, outdoor furniture, lighting, and raised planter beds filled with shrubs and perennials.

But perhaps the most striking feature will be the 30 soaring Dawn Redwood trees, which will be planted at more than 25 feet tall.

The park will open in fall 2018. In total, there are 6.5 acres of planned green space and street improvements throughout Schuylkill Yards.

What comes after the park?

Of course, the park just the start of Schuylkill Yards. The mega-development’s 15- to 20-year master plan calls for the buildout of new towers, totaling 6.9 million square feet in new construction. Currently, city approvals are in place for 1.3 million square feet of new development and the revamp of the Bulletin Building.

The first phase will include the buildout of the park, as well as 4.6 acres of residential, office, research, and retail development. Sweeney said that early next year, amid the park construction, the team will begin the revamp of the Bulletin Building and begin plans for the mixed-use towers.

The ceremonial construction start also happens to come just weeks after Philly submitted its proposal to bring Amazon’s second headquarters here. The city’s pitch included Schuylkill Yards as one of the three potential sites where the e-commerce giant could build its $5 billion headquarters.

“If we are lucky,” said Drexel University president Jonathan Frye, “Drexel Square may one day soon be a gathering spot for thousands and thousands of Amazon employees.”
https://philly.curbed.com/2017/11/8/...groundbreaking

summersm343 Nov 8, 2017 7:00 PM

Brandywine, Drexel break ground on $3.5B Schuylkill Yards project

Quote:

It's been called one of Philadelphia's most critical real estate developments.

Today, with Mayor Jim Kenney and other politicians on site, Drexel University and Brandywine Realty Trust broke ground on the modest first phase of what's officially called Schuylkill Yards Innovation Community — a $3.5 billion, 14-acre mixed-use project the developers hope will lure Amazon's vaunted second headquarters.

"I have never seen our political leadership and business leadership work so well together," Kenney said, citing the groundwork done for the project by Brandywine, Drexel and city and state political leaders.

"Today, we take the first steps in making this large-scale innovation community a reality," said Jerry Sweeney, CEO of Brandywine Realty Trust. "We are proud that our first project is Schuylkill Yards will deliver a green public gathering space where the community can connect, interact and share experiences."

That first project is called Drexel Square, a 1.3-acre park on what is now a surface parking lot across the street from Philadelphia's 30th Street Station. Designed by SHoP Architects and West 8 Landscape Architects, the park is scheduled to be completed by the fourth quarter of 2018.

The overall project, which is expected to be developed in pieces over the next 15 to 20 years, is being developed by Brandywine on land owned by the developer and Drexel University.

Project plans call for:

-6.5 acres of green space and improved streetscape
-A total of 7 million square feet of developed space at build-out.
-A fully mixed-use project, including office, lab/research, residential, retail and hotel uses.

"Schuylkill Yards will be a national model for transportation-based development," said John Fry, president of Drexel University, at the groundbreaking ceremony. He extolled Drexel Square as "the long-awaited sixth square of our great city" — referencing other full-block parks such as Rittenhouse Square and Washington Square.

Della Clark, president of The Enterprise Center, a small-business incubator in West Philadelphia, announced during the ceremony that Brandywine has agreed to seed the new Grow Philadelphia Capital Initiative with an initial investment of $500,000. The ultimate goal for the new fund is to raise $15 million to help fund small businesses.

Kenney said the most important part of the Schuylkill Yards project is its impact on the surrounding West Philadelphia community. "What Philadelphia really needs is long-term, inclusive growth," he said.

But Pennsylvania Sen. Vincent Hughes, a Democrat who represents West Philadelphia, may have stolen the show with his direct remarks to Amazon.

"If Amazon is smart, they need to show up here," Hughes said. "Mr. Bezos, this is where you need to be."
https://www.bizjournals.com/philadel...chuylkill.html

Mr Saturn64 Nov 8, 2017 10:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MyDadBuiltThat (Post 7979823)
Forgot to emphasize my major point in my post - shouldn't write posts late at night. This company discussed their proposal with Amazon even though they are not part of the city's bid. Which would indicate that the official folks got to talk directly to Amazon too.

OK, but we still don't know how valid this unspecified person from this unspecified company is. It's hard to judge without those things known.
Quote:

Originally Posted by summersm343 (Post 7980072)

New look at first tower - 3003 JFK:
https://cdn.vox-cdn.com/thumbor/WUN-...1.25.57_AM.png

Wow is that ugly. How tall is it?
Quote:

Originally Posted by summersm343 (Post 7980078)
Brandywine, Drexel break ground on $3.5B Schuylkill Yards project

https://www.bizjournals.com/philadel...chuylkill.html

Alright. Getting started. That should probably be another advantage for Amazon, if we have things ready for construction by the time they make the decision.

summersm343 Nov 8, 2017 10:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr Saturn64 (Post 7980321)
Wow is that ugly. How tall is it?

Taller than Cira Centre for sure. Looks to be 40 floors. That design seems to match this rendering we've seen recently:

https://image-store.slidesharecdn.co...-original.jpeg

39.95n Nov 8, 2017 11:43 PM

Quote:

Without getting into it, there is one very good reason why I doubt Amazon will end up in Austin. The relatively moderate (read business conservative) Speaker of the Texas house is resigning. If the ensuing race for Speaker goes in favor of a candidate with more religious conservative leanings Texas will be up to its knees in bathroom bills and other socially conservative legislation right at the time Amazon is building its first building. I doubt Amazon would be willing to take that risk, given their stated preferences. Austin is liberal, but it's the politics of Texas as a whole that matter.

Raymond LuxuryYacht Nov 9, 2017 2:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 39.95n (Post 7980403)
Without getting into it, there is one very good reason why I doubt Amazon will end up in Austin. The relatively moderate (read business conservative) Speaker of the Texas house is resigning. If the ensuing race for Speaker goes in favor of a candidate with more religious conservative leanings Texas will be up to its knees in bathroom bills and other socially conservative legislation right at the time Amazon is building its first building. I doubt Amazon would be willing to take that risk, given their stated preferences. Austin is liberal, but it's the politics of Texas as a whole that matter.

I would think the well-known business friendly advantages in Texas would outweigh bathroom bills. I think you're putting too much stock in a relatively minor social issue bill over the something more concrete and relevant to a business's bottom line in taxes. It's not even comparable.

gfspeople Nov 9, 2017 3:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by summersm343 (Post 7980330)
Taller than Cira Centre for sure. Looks to be 40 floors. That design seems to match this rendering we've seen recently

The bottom portion is clearly different in the new rendering, as it now sticks out. Personally, if it weren't for the awful change of color at the very bottom, I would like this new version more. Regardless it's nice to see a new building in this city finally take some chances.

jsbrook Nov 9, 2017 3:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Raymond LuxuryYacht (Post 7980567)
I would think the well-known business friendly advantages in Texas would outweigh bathroom bills. I think you're putting too much stock in a relatively minor social issue bill over the something more concrete and relevant to a business's bottom line in taxes. It's not even comparable.

"Hold my beer." -Charlotte

In all seriousness, I would've agreed with you 2 years ago. But North Carolina has lost an estimated $3.6 billion from its transgender bathroom bill. Ringo Starr cancelled a concert there, the NCAA has avoided the state, the NAACP organized an economic boycott, and most significantly, PayPal abandoned plans to set up facilities in Charlotte that would have brought an estimated $2.66 billion to the state's economy. That's just a few examples. Now all the actor's could be lying, but the bathroom bill is their stated reasons. All things being equal, companies care about this stuff nowadays, and there are a lot of other concrete advantages that put other cities'states with more aligned social views on equal footing to Austin.

Raymond LuxuryYacht Nov 9, 2017 5:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jsbrook (Post 7980580)
"Hold my beer." -Charlotte

In all seriousness, I would've agreed with you 2 years ago. But North Carolina has lost an estimated $3.6 billion from its transgender bathroom bill. Ringo Starr cancelled a concert there, the NCAA has avoided the state, the NAACP organized an economic boycott, and most significantly, PayPal abandoned plans to set up facilities in Charlotte that would have brought an estimated $2.66 billion to the state's economy. That's just a few examples. Now all the actor's could be lying, but the bathroom bill is their stated reasons. All things being equal, companies care about this stuff nowadays, and there are a lot of other concrete advantages that put other cities'states with more aligned social views on equal footing to Austin.

One issue with all the examples you cited with the exception of PayPal...they were individuals or organizations and not companies, so the rationale is not going to be exactly the same. Again, I think a potential bathroom bill that'll be out of the spotlight in 6 months is being overstated when Amazon is contemplating a major business move that'll involves dropping $5 Billion in investment....Call me a cynic, but I really don't think a theorized bill like this enters the equation with that much at stake monetarily.

Gonzo the Great Nov 9, 2017 11:56 AM

Estimated heights for each tower

1,095 FT - 70 FLOORS - 3101 Market Street
725 FT - 48 FLOORS - 3125 John F. Kennedy Boulevard
515 FT - 42 FLOORS - 3001 Chestnut Street
435 FT - 36 FLOORS - 3151 John F. Kennedy Boulevard
425 FT - 30 FLOORS - 3000 Market Street
385 FT - 28 FLOORS - 3020 Market Street
380 FT - 28 FLOORS - 3003 John F. Kennedy Boulevard
375 FT - 31 FLOORS - 3151 Market Street

Well unless there has been a dramatic change .... 3003 JFK listed at 28 floors . :shrug:
...... PS , Cira Center is listed at 437' .........:)

1487 Nov 9, 2017 1:17 PM

Quote:

who is and isnt business friendly in an incentive rich environment means nothing. IT's already been established that states of all kinds are offering GENEROUS incentives to amazon that will insulate them from their normal tax structure. who cares about PA or NY or IL being supposedly anti business when amazon wont pay many taxes in any of them?

Nova08 Nov 9, 2017 1:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1487 (Post 7980808)
who is and isnt business friendly in an incentive rich environment means nothing. IT's already been established that states of all kinds are offering GENEROUS incentives to amazon that will insulate them from their normal tax structure. who cares about PA or NY or IL being supposedly anti business when amazon wont pay many taxes in any of them?

Completely agree here. We shouldn't focus on all of the other competitor cities. Many put together generous packages and those cities are they way they are and Philly is what it is. None of that will change in the immediate future or has changed in the few months Amazon set off this bidding war.

What I care about. Between the official Philly proposal and now the existence of the separate Brandywine proposal, IMO Philly really stepped up to the plate on this. I was fearful that the proposal might lack the "wow factor" to demonstrate how much of a great fit the city is for Amazon. Currently, I feel the exact opposite. From what has been made public, I feel like Philly hit a home run (well a triple for now, if we win, a home run). If Philly loses this, I won't feel as though the city really sh*t the bed.

summersm343 Nov 9, 2017 3:15 PM

3003 JFK - Schuylkill Yards Phase I - 570 FT - 38 FLOORS - Thread here:

http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...=1#post7980898

summersm343 Nov 9, 2017 3:17 PM

^^A separate thread has been created for the first tower in the Schuylkill Yards development - 3003 JFK Blvd. The estimated height is 38 floors and 570 feet tall. All news on 3003 JFK will go in that thread. All news for future phases will remain in this thread.

summersm343 Nov 9, 2017 3:56 PM

Work Officially Begins on Schuylkill Yards

http://cdn.phillymag.com/wp-content/...on-900x600.jpg

Read more here:
http://www.phillymag.com/news/2017/1...uylkill-yards/

jjv007 Nov 9, 2017 7:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by summersm343 (Post 7980905)
^^A separate thread has been created for the first tower in the Schuylkill Yards development - 3003 JFK Blvd. The estimated height is 38 floors and 570 feet tall. All news on 3003 JFK will go in that thread. All news for future phases will remain in this thread.

I know it's not really in your hands but any way mods can get a hold of whoever necessary to add this thread to the Philadelphia Projects and Construction subforum?

summersm343 Nov 9, 2017 7:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jjv007 (Post 7981210)
I know it's not really in your hands but any way mods can get a hold of whoever necessary to add this thread to the Philadelphia Projects and Construction subforum?

Already did. It will be added shortly.

City Wide Nov 9, 2017 7:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 39.95n (Post 7980403)

You might very well be correct about Texas, "I know nothing". But is that all that much different from our good State of Pa, where the State house regularly tries to make it almost impossible for the City to act on it's own, especially if the direction is at all 'progressive'; think about gun control. I realize this is a stereotype, but I'd say the most of the people who live in 80% of the land mass of PA would be ok being having the same laws and mind set as the folk in TX.

As its regularly been mentioned on this site, a great many people in PA truly despise the City and think (wrongly) of it as a giant black hole where most of the states taxes go to support people on welfare.

Mr Saturn64 Nov 9, 2017 8:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nova08 (Post 7980835)
Completely agree here. We shouldn't focus on all of the other competitor cities. Many put together generous packages and those cities are they way they are and Philly is what it is. None of that will change in the immediate future or has changed in the few months Amazon set off this bidding war.

What I care about. Between the official Philly proposal and now the existence of the separate Brandywine proposal, IMO Philly really stepped up to the plate on this. I was fearful that the proposal might lack the "wow factor" to demonstrate how much of a great fit the city is for Amazon. Currently, I feel the exact opposite. From what has been made public, I feel like Philly hit a home run (well a triple for now, if we win, a home run). If Philly loses this, I won't feel as though the city really sh*t the bed.

Exactly. As I've said before, there's always been that one city, seemingly on a weekly basis, that was going to beat us. Now we've become the city to beat. We have the city and Brandywine vouching for us, we have Schuylkill Yards under construction, and a new ad campaign in Seattle. I've not yet been more confident in our odds of winning. Not to sound cocky of course.

Quote:

Originally Posted by summersm343 (Post 7980905)

You know, over on the New York boards, each building in the Hudson Yards development has its own thread. I have a feeling Schuylkill Yards will be the same way, once everything starts coming up.

summersm343 Nov 9, 2017 8:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr Saturn64 (Post 7981332)
Exactly. As I've said before, there's always been that one city, seemingly on a weekly basis, that was going to beat us. Now we've become the city to beat. We have the city and Brandywine vouching for us, we have Schuylkill Yards under construction, and a new ad campaign in Seattle. I've not yet been more confident in our odds of winning. Not to sound cocky of course.

You know, over on the New York boards, each building in the Hudson Yards development has its own thread. I have a feeling Schuylkill Yards will be the same way, once everything starts coming up.

Yes. I plan on creating new threads for each tower.

jjv007 Nov 9, 2017 9:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by summersm343 (Post 7981224)
Already did. It will be added shortly.

:tup:

City Wide Nov 9, 2017 9:55 PM

Quote:

Completely and totally agree with you (first time for everything :))

39.95n Nov 9, 2017 11:11 PM

Quote:

You might be right, you might be wrong, but these "minor social issues" matter a lot to Bezos. I don't know his mind any more than the next person, but I think it has the potential to be more of a factor than you think. Coincidentally CNN did something on this in the last couple of days.

http://money.cnn.com/2017/11/07/tech...aws/index.html

These social issues also affect recruitment, which very much matters to Amazon, and indeed all companies.

Mr Saturn64 Nov 10, 2017 2:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 39.95n (Post 7981498)
You might be right, you might be wrong, but these "minor social issues" matter a lot to Bezos. I don't know his mind any more than the next person, but I think it has the potential to be more of a factor than you think. Coincidentally CNN did something on this in the last couple of days.

http://money.cnn.com/2017/11/07/tech...aws/index.html

These social issues also affect recruitment, which very much matters to Amazon, and indeed all companies.

With the amount of companies speaking out against the transgender bathroom bills, it would probably be bad PR if they were to build in a state that had one. Granted, as the CNN article said, neither of them became law, and we don't know if they're coming back, but you never know. And if they're not going to pay the taxes in Illinois or Pennsylvania that other companies would, these controversies give them all the more reason to not go there.

Raymond LuxuryYacht Nov 10, 2017 3:08 AM

Quote:

Tax incentives are not necessarily permanent and can expire based on legislative priorities and political changes unless they are made permanent. The laws in place that create either an incentive or general disincentive business climate are more permanent. This is a long term investment in a city and that has to be taken into account.

ok-ez Nov 10, 2017 3:16 PM

great piece on tax incentives including amazon
https://youtu.be/8bl19RoR7lc

summersm343 Nov 14, 2017 1:56 AM

New Park Underway Next to 30th Street Station

http://www.ocfrealty.com/wp-content/...1/IMG_2842.jpg

Read more here:
http://www.ocfrealty.com/naked-phill...street-station

jsbrook Nov 15, 2017 11:11 AM

Is this Septa entrance relocating longterm once this is a park? Is that what the oculus-esque thing in the Plaza is? I hope they at least make the entrance more attractive if they leave it here. I am generally not a fan of parks right next to traffic (2 busy roads), but the planting of mature trees all along the edges to separate the parklet from traffic is a great idea and could really help the experience there.

skyscraper Nov 15, 2017 2:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jsbrook (Post 7986416)
Is this Septa entrance relocating longterm once this is a park?

just as an aside, this is a pet peeve of mine. why do people call these things SEPTA entrances? why not subway entrances? in new york, no one refers to the transit agency (NYCTA or MTA), they just call it the subway. in chicago, it's just the el.

jsbrook Nov 15, 2017 2:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by skyscraper (Post 7986485)
just as an aside, this is a pet peeve of mine. why do people call these things SEPTA entrances? why not subway entrances? in new york, no one refers to the transit agency (NYCTA or MTA), they just call it the subway. in chicago, it's just the el.

I did not give it much thought. I was going by the SEPTA sign...Not sure why calling it that would rub you the wrong way, though.

skyscraper Nov 15, 2017 2:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jsbrook (Post 7986491)
I did not give it much thought. I was going by the SEPTA sign...Not sure why calling it that would rub you the wrong way, though.

I don't mean just you, I hear it all the time on the news, etc. it just bothers me. it's just one of my stupid hang ups.

Parkway Nov 15, 2017 2:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by skyscraper (Post 7986485)

It kind of pedantic but it's because that's not a subway entrance. It's an entrance to the El and Trolley lines. The Subway is 15 blocks east under Broad Street. Especially among old heads the Subway is not a type of service but a specific line.

SEFTA Nov 15, 2017 4:07 PM

I wish they'd use something like "Red Line" or "Blue Line"

1487 Nov 15, 2017 4:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Raymond LuxuryYacht (Post 7981697)
Tax incentives are not necessarily permanent and can expire based on legislative priorities and political changes unless they are made permanent. The laws in place that create either an incentive or general disincentive business climate are more permanent. This is a long term investment in a city and that has to be taken into account.

No doubt, but comparing cities based on their ACTUAL current tax burdens is pointless in a case such as this. No matter where they go Amazon will end up paying next to nothing in taxes. Thats the bottom line. Any deal they strike will have terms lasting 10-15 years easily. If they decide to relocate or shrink the operation 15 years from now I'm sure that's a possibility. One of Philly's biggest tax burdens applies to products sold here and that will barely affect Amazon just like it barely affects other big corporations that do 99% of their sales outside of PHilly.