SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   Cancelled Project Threads Archive (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=654)
-   -   PHOENIX | Toll Brothers (2 Towers) | 685 FT / 209 M | 50 FLOORS (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=105009)

Don B. May 2, 2006 9:40 PM

PHOENIX | Toll Brothers (2 Towers) | 685 FT / 209 M | 50 FLOORS

This is thanks to Soleri, one of the Phoenix forumers:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...stowercopy.jpg

Here's a concept/rendering of the Toll Brothers' project. The attorney making the presentation at the Encanto Village Committee meeting stated there were 750 condos in two towers. Phase one would be built to the north, Phase two later as market conditions warranted. The committee was largely negative about it, citing traffic, microclimate impact, and air quality as concerns. Both towers would rest on a six floor podium of parking, ground-floor retail, and possibly rise 685 feet. The attorney says the FAA appears unconcerned with the height.

The project is located on the SE corner of Thomas and Central and would be, by far, the tallest buildings in the city:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...erlocation.jpg

Let's keep our fingers crossed.

--don

TheOldMan May 2, 2006 10:41 PM

great news for phoenix. that city desperatly needs taller buildings. lets hope it happens

CHAPINM1 May 2, 2006 10:47 PM

Great new for Phoenix! This may be the beginning to a great thing for this city! For a skyline that needs dramatic improvements this will really help!!! Phoenix forumers please keep us updated!

Stephenapolis May 3, 2006 2:22 AM

It would be nice to see more height in the Phoenix skyline. Too bad the towers are ugly IMO.

CGII May 3, 2006 2:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stephenapolis
It would be nice to see more height in the Phoenix skyline. Too bad the towers are ugly IMO.

That's what I think. Phoenix needs some verticality, but Jesus those are weird. Maybe just one of them.

austin356 May 3, 2006 3:17 AM

I think a great part about this is that it is Toll Brothers who is building this. The exurban king is starting to build highrise condos? NiCe change.... Ryland homes is building a highrise in Midtown ATL..

I am glad to see these changes, maybe they will bring some fairly affordable housing in that young professionals can afford.

Has TB and the national builders, been doing these types of projects in the inner city lately; Am I a little late to see this?

giovanni sasso May 3, 2006 3:31 AM

austin, toll bros' first urban development is literally one block from my place and i'm looking at its sign out my window. i despise toll bros, but i appreciate that they're finally expanding their cash cow to develop in urban areas. to my knowledge, however, i don't believe they've ever done any major highrises like this. (the one near me is the development of mock-rowhome "luxury townhomes" on the site of the first US naval home.)

i think these phoenix towers are ugly, but then what has toll bros ever developed that looks stunning?

smArTaLlone May 3, 2006 3:35 AM

Wow Phoenix is finally getting some height! Very cool

MustangV8power May 3, 2006 3:41 AM

That's great

plinko May 3, 2006 5:37 AM

This is the strip mall site across from Honey Bear's BBQ right? Just north of the U-Haul HQ?

bobdreamz May 3, 2006 11:53 AM

good news for Phoenix but can you explain how the committee thinks 2 highrises are going to affect air quality?

Don B. May 3, 2006 12:10 PM

^ They're twats, that's how.

I don't know - perhaps they are linking increased traffic congestion with worse air quality?

Plinko, you are correct.

I'm not holding my breath on this. It will need a zoning variance and FAA approval, something not likely with our twitchy city council. I fully expect this project to get shaved considerably.

We can only hope it makes it through. At least there is a concrete proposal. At least somebody is thinking tall.

--don

combusean May 3, 2006 12:10 PM

Plinko it's behind that. It's a vacant lot now.

Plasticman May 3, 2006 5:10 PM

That's great news for Phoenix. A city that size should have some really talls. I'm not crazy about the design but compared to that ridiculous eyesore known as Museum Plaza planned for Louisville, those are nice buildings.

Thefigman May 5, 2006 12:03 PM

Phoenix could use the tall buildings, but this rendering looks too generic for me.

pablosan May 5, 2006 7:46 PM

This would be a huge boost to Phoenix's skyline.

Dale May 5, 2006 8:01 PM

I would imagine that that's a prelimenary rendering.

James Bond Agent 007 May 6, 2006 12:55 AM

I'm impressed!

Hoodrat May 6, 2006 2:03 AM

They're hella cool. I'm jealous.

PhillyRising May 6, 2006 2:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by giovanni sasso
austin, toll bros' first urban development is literally one block from my place and i'm looking at its sign out my window. i despise toll bros, but i appreciate that they're finally expanding their cash cow to develop in urban areas. to my knowledge, however, i don't believe they've ever done any major highrises like this. (the one near me is the development of mock-rowhome "luxury townhomes" on the site of the first US naval home.)

i think these phoenix towers are ugly, but then what has toll bros ever developed that looks stunning?

Nothing. They better hope these towers stay up.....because if they build these towers like they build their homes around here...they ain't gonna last too long.