SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   Proposals (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=361)
-   -   PHILADELPHIA | Schuylkill Yards Future Phases | 1,095 - 375 FT | 70 - 28 FLOORS (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=221324)

christof Mar 6, 2016 6:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PhilliesPhan (Post 7360450)
I took time to read through this entire link. Did anyone see "Potential Heavy Rail Maintenance Facility"? Could this possibly be a new subway line, or just a maintenance facility for the MFL?

It is for AMTRAK. Nothing to do with SEPTA.

summersm343 Mar 6, 2016 7:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Whoareyou (Post 7360463)
Hey everyone... First time long time (actually was around in the late 90's early 2000's under a different name) but this project pushed me over the top to create a new account.. But anyway. The dork in me decided to really try and do a floor count on the main tower and unless I'm counting wrong I'm definately up over 80 floors. Maybe someone else can check it out and correct me if I'm wrong.

Welcome back! :cheers:

I'm too lazy to count all of the floors haha. I estimated 70 floors based on the height but it could very well be more than that.

Plokoon11 Mar 6, 2016 7:23 PM

I swear the whole Philly subforum clan has been strict down by Skyscraperitus. And I can't complain haha!

PhilliesPhan Mar 6, 2016 10:16 PM

Thanks for the correction, everyone! I must have read that wrong. Now I know that it is a proposed Amtrak facility.

Arch+Eng Mar 7, 2016 3:24 PM

This thread will have 1.2k pages before one shovel hits the dirt.

hammersklavier Mar 8, 2016 12:21 PM

Notice to all posters:

Expect any city-v-city posts to be deleted on sight.

Repeat offenders can expect surprises in their inboxes.

You have been warned.

Baconboy007 Mar 8, 2016 3:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hammersklavier (Post 7363021)
Notice to all posters:

Expect any city-v-city posts to be deleted on sight.

Repeat offenders can expect surprises in their inboxes.

You have been warned.

Are we talking University City vs Center City or Boston vs Philly? :shrug:

Arch+Eng Mar 8, 2016 5:36 PM

Philly>Boston

kraggman Mar 8, 2016 5:59 PM

Holy crap !!!! Just got back from a 10 day cruise and I see this !! Awesome !!

philatonian Mar 9, 2016 2:31 AM

Now let's plug this into that...

;)

http://philadelphiaplaneto.com/wp-co...LTRailPlan.jpg

Arch+Eng Mar 9, 2016 1:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by philatonian (Post 7364129)
Now let's plug this into that...

;)

http://philadelphiaplaneto.com/wp-co...LTRailPlan.jpg

What the hell is this crap

thisisforreal Mar 9, 2016 1:59 PM

Don't forget to add these as well while we're at it:

http://static1.techinsider.io/image/...-look-like.jpg

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_XB4ZkUM-h8...ure%2B3799.jpg

http://cdn.images.express.co.uk/img/...ure-225827.jpg

Modern renderings of skyscraper proposals really lack girdles, petticoats, and men's walking canes.

christof Mar 9, 2016 2:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Arch+Eng (Post 7364458)
What the hell is this crap

I hope that this is not the updated plan for 30th Street. :yuck:

Bigstilt Mar 9, 2016 3:55 PM

Truly I'm filled with glee when looking at this development by Drexel University. If we continue to keep both Penn and Drexel students after they graduate this is the start of new horizons. By time this development is completed our population will have grown enough til Philadelphia will have more than 2 million people living here. Image that!

MetaldDeth81 Mar 9, 2016 4:12 PM

I love this!!!!! But.... I feel sorry for the future Drexel students whose tuition will undoubtedly reach further astronomical figures. Roughly $46k/yr now (base tuition, excluding books, housing, etc).. what will in be in 10 years? $80k/yr?

ksb Mar 9, 2016 11:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MetaldDeth81 (Post 7364645)
I love this!!!!! But.... I feel sorry for the future Drexel students whose tuition will undoubtedly reach further astronomical figures.

Why? Brandywine is the developer and is likely paying for the development of the buildings. Drexel is providing the grounds and is presumably getting money from Brandywine for grounds leases. That's how the ACC developments for Chestnut Square and the Summit at Lancaster were pitched.

philatonian Mar 10, 2016 1:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bigstilt (Post 7364613)
Truly I'm filled with glee when looking at this development by Drexel University. If we continue to keep both Penn and Drexel students after they graduate this is the start of new horizons. By time this development is completed our population will have grown enough til Philadelphia will have more than 2 million people living here. Image that!

Imagine that! It'll be like 1960! Just joshin'. But what the ****, let's shoot for four million, right? :P

But honestly you're absolutely right, and Drexel is doing what it needs to do to keep their graduates in town. And why wouldn't they want to do that? They foster the talent, then employ it. The thing I love about Drexel is that it simply understands innovation in a way you rarely find outside Cupertino.

An innovative school doesn't start on an isolated campus, it's integrated into the working fabric of a city and with the people who will use those innovations.

In a lot of ways, I think Drexel's innovative aspirations not only match those in technology corridors, it supersedes them by planting it firmly in a centralized urban environment. Instead of wooing talent to the suburbs in places like Redmond or the Silicon Valley, Drexel is planted smack in the middle of a city...a city in the middle of the northeast corridor. People can crap all over the city all they want for being in the shadows of NY and DC, but a time will come when that centralized proximity will be a true asset.

Thirty years ago, no one knew San Francisco and Seattle would be turning out the latest and greatest gadgets. Ten years from now, no one knows where those gadgets will come from, or even what they'll be.

Drexel's doing what it needs to do for Philadelphia to be a contender in an unknown future, and doing it a lot better than most. We're on a path where we could easily reclaim the name the "Workshop of the World" while San Francisco and Seattle struggle to fill their lofts. The shift "back east" makes sense, and it looks like Drexel wants to own it.

iheartphilly Mar 10, 2016 2:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by philatonian (Post 7365511)
Imagine that! It'll be like 1960! Just joshin'. But what the ****, let's shoot for four million, right? :P

But honestly you're absolutely right, and Drexel is doing what it needs to do to keep their graduates in town. And why wouldn't they want to do that? They foster the talent, then employ it. The thing I love about Drexel is that it simply understands innovation in a way you rarely find outside Cupertino.

An innovative school doesn't start on an isolated campus, it's integrated into the working fabric of a city and with the people who will use those innovations.

In a lot of ways, I think Drexel's innovative aspirations not only match those in technology corridors, it supersedes them by planting it firmly in a centralized urban environment. Instead of wooing talent to the suburbs in places like Redmond or the Silicon Valley, Drexel is planted smack in the middle of a city...a city in the middle of the northeast corridor. People can crap all over the city all they want for being in the shadows of NY and DC, but a time will come when that centralized proximity will be a true asset.

Thirty years ago, no one knew San Francisco and Seattle would be turning out the latest and greatest gadgets. Ten years from now, no one knows where those gadgets will come from, or even what they'll be.

Drexel's doing what it needs to do for Philadelphia to be a contender in an unknown future, and doing it a lot better than most. We're on a path where we could easily reclaim the name the "Workshop of the World" while San Francisco and Seattle struggle to fill their lofts. The shift "back east" makes sense, and it looks like Drexel wants to own it.

It's a very good start for Drexel. Especially, if Drexel can monetize these innovations by getting royalties, a % of the start up shares, or make an investment for a return or rights on the innovation. Keeping the best and the brightest will be a challenge, but if Drexel can provide the platform, seed money, entrepreneurial experience, and ultimately full commercialization of the products/service for which there is a market, it will reward and benefit all those that are involved. Fingers crossed.:tup:

hammersklavier Mar 10, 2016 12:59 PM

Random morning thought:

I wonder how ambitious Drexel is? I mean, as a school? They're traditionally known as a working- and middle-class-oriented tech school, but it feels like they're aiming to increase their prestige in much the same way Temple feels like it's aiming to be listed in the same breath as Pitt and Penn State as a top-tier public school.

At a certain level, we're already part of the way there. Even our more traditionally working-class institutions tend to be more nationally prestigious in terms of academics than many of our peer cities'. And in a lot of markets, the most prestigious institutions lay outside the city proper (whereas here, we've got them in the core). Think about where UM is in relation to Detroit, or CU in relation to Denver, or -- heck -- even Oregon and Oregon State in relation to Portland.

A lot of American higher-education markets have prestige without real proximity to the core city. Others have schools in the core that suffer from a relative lack of prestige -- think about Georgia State, which should be Georgia's Temple (to Georgia Tech's UPenn/Drexel) but is a fraction as prestigious an institution as Temple is. Or perhaps Wayne State in Detroit and Cleveland State in Cleveland. Relatively few markets have a critical mass of prestige right in their core.

This is a major advantage Pitt and Boston leveraged, and that New York, Chicago, and LA don't really need to leverage. It's also an advantage that Houston has (look how close prestigious Rice and working-class UH are) -- but, interestingly enough, the Dallas metroplex may not. Most importantly for us, it's an advantage which we're leveraging just as we're becoming more confident as a city and region.

summersm343 Mar 10, 2016 1:48 PM

Drexel And Brandywine Bet Big On University City With Giant Schuylkill Yards Project

Read more at: https://www.bisnow.com/archives/news...iversity-city/