SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   Manitoba & Saskatchewan (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=129)
-   -   Manitoba Provincial Election | 2016 (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=220615)

Cyro Jan 17, 2016 5:14 PM

Manitoba Provincial Election | 2016

Manitoba's next provincial election is set for April 19, 2016.

Why was it changed from October 16.2015? Overlap with the Federal Election.

With that said, Who will you vote for, or not, and why?

Cyro Jan 17, 2016 6:08 PM

PC. Similiar to what happened in Alberta with their selction of the NDP. Just fed up and tired at this point.

RepomanYWG Jan 17, 2016 6:44 PM

I generally vote PC. Hopefully Cyro is right. It's time for a change.

cheswick Jan 17, 2016 7:34 PM

Latest poll has the liberals, who's presence at the MB provincial level is almost non-existent, ahead of the NDP. So this far out it sure looks like people have grown tired of selinger.

Jan 7
PC 44
Liberals 27
NDP 23

Liberals received 7% of the popular vote in 2011.

biguc Jan 18, 2016 7:39 PM

Backed the PCs in 2011 because it was clear to me then that Selinger had to go. Unfortunately, Pallister is equally unsavory. That leaves me in the difficult position of backing the Liberals, in spite of their stupid rent freeze plan, which has already had a catastrophic effect on building owners investing in building improvements. At least they're strong finally, and could ride in on Trudeau's red wave.

And I will say, some of the other ideas they're floating, like mincome, are really good.

drew Jan 18, 2016 7:45 PM

^ I agree, that rent-freeze thing is bad policy.

That being said, no to the NDP for me, and I really don't want to vote PC (don't like Pallister, and so far they are just running on the "we are not NDP" platform) - so likely Liberal for me - without any expectations of my vote meaning anything.

CoryB Jan 18, 2016 8:16 PM

1. Poll numbers don't necessarily reflect the outcome on a riding by riding basis. For example, that poll has the Liberals at 27% but in some ridings the Liberals have yet to name a candidate. It also fails to account for a popular candidate from one party.

2. It is too early for me to make a call. The Liberals seem to be heading for a trainwreck moment where they kill their own campaign. The mincome, while on the surface sounds good could be it. If you make the same if you work 30 hours or collect welfare this could backfire. I would much rather see a system that every hour of paid employment you work means your better off than only welfare, basically through a top up to a set level. This would give able people some motivation to be contributing.

kent_eh Jan 19, 2016 3:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by biguc (Post 7303597)
clear to me then that Selinger had to go. Unfortunately, Pallister is equally unsavory. That leaves me in the difficult position of backing the Liberals,

That's pretty much my thoughts on the current election as well.

I'm a bit torn. The province has been doing relatively well overall (not stellar, but not failing either), but the NDP's eating itself from the inside has seriously soured me on them.

And the Liberals still look pretty invisible.

But, I cannot bring myself to vote for anything that Pallister is involved in.

Cyro Jan 19, 2016 4:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by drew (Post 7303609)
(don't like Pallister, and so far they are just running on the "we are not NDP" platform) - so likely Liberal for me

Quote:

Backed the PCs in 2011 because it was clear to me then that Selinger had to go. Unfortunately, Pallister is equally unsavory.

Quote:

Originally Posted by kent_eh (Post 7304227)
I cannot bring myself to vote for anything that Pallister is involved in.

Pallisters involvement as the PC's leader here seems to be a common denominator in many of the responses. Can't really disagree. It may push many over to the Liberal camp.

VANRIDERFAN Jan 19, 2016 4:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cyro (Post 7304664)
Pallisters involvement as the PC's leader here seems to be a common denominator in many of the responses. Can't really disagree. It may push many over to the Liberal camp.

I know that everyone in my family will be voting PC.

Cyro Jan 19, 2016 5:05 PM

^ My vote won't change either, but with that said, it is on peoples minds and may sway many away from them. What happens when the name "Selinger" appears in a discussion? It effects people in a curious way..

cheswick Feb 5, 2016 5:15 PM

Liberal leader announced she wants to direct infrastructure money towards the arts.

jmt18325 Feb 5, 2016 6:09 PM

So she just lost my vote.

esquire Feb 5, 2016 7:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jmt18325 (Post 7325881)
So she just lost my vote.

Why? Cultural facilities are infrastructure too.

jmt18325 Feb 5, 2016 7:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by esquire (Post 7325993)
Why? Cultural facilities are infrastructure too.

I suppose it depends what we're talking about. I was being dramatic. I'd have to know more.

jmt18325 Feb 5, 2016 7:31 PM

I'm not sure that she can win her riding anymore though.

esquire Feb 5, 2016 7:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jmt18325 (Post 7326006)
I'm not sure that she can win her riding anymore though.

You think so? If I were in her shoes I'd much rather take on her current NDP competitor as opposed to Jennifer Howard.

jmt18325 Feb 5, 2016 8:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by esquire (Post 7326020)
You think so? If I were in her shoes I'd much rather take on her current NDP competitor as opposed to Jennifer Howard.

You think so? Wab Kinew is pretty famous now.

esquire Feb 5, 2016 9:03 PM

By all accounts Jennifer Howard was legit, Kinew is an unknown quantity to some extent. It's a pretty left leaning area but I think with Howard out of the race, it'll be close in Fort Rouge.

rrskylar Feb 6, 2016 6:13 AM

Quote:

Backed the PCs in 2011 because it was clear to me then that Selinger had to go. Unfortunately, Pallister is equally unsavory. That leaves me in the difficult position of backing the Liberals, in spite of their stupid rent freeze plan, which has already had a catastrophic effect on building owners investing in building improvements. At least they're strong finally, and could ride in on Trudeau's red wave.

And I will say, some of the other ideas they're floating, like mincome, are really good.

Theoretically this should be an easy election for the PC's to win except that Pallister is the leader, a guy with a likability factor of 0 and comes across a bit as the tin man.

I think the liberals will surprise people in spite of their leader.

Cyro Mar 11, 2016 7:45 PM

"We haven't always gotten it right"

Video Link

Vote..

Cyro Mar 21, 2016 8:28 PM

Poll predicts 'runaway' win for Pallister PCs
:banana:

An exclusive Mainstreet Research/Postmedia poll reveals Brian Pallister’s Progressive Conservatives have a 23-point lead over Greg Selinger’s NDP, up one from last weekend. The poll, conducted Saturday, puts the PCs at 47%, the NDP at 24%, and Rana Bokhari’s Liberals at 23%.

The contest is closer inside seat-rich Winnipeg, where the PCs have the support of 37% of decided voters. The NDP are not far back at 30%, followed by the Liberals at 25%.

http://www.winnipegsun.com/2016/03/2...-pallister-pcs

cheswick Mar 21, 2016 8:37 PM

I'm most curious if the Liberals can actually win anything. I think they currently only hold a single seat. To be honest, none of the leaders instill much confidence in me.

biguc Mar 21, 2016 8:44 PM

I really liked how ABC voting worked out in the federal election, does anyone know of any polling for individual ridings we can check out in order to vote for the strongest non-NDP candidate?

Lately I've been impressed by the policy the Greens have been releasing. I'd sure like to know if my local Green candidate has a chance. Without more information I'll probably end up voting Liberal because I don't see any other party having a chance in my riding, which is strange considering it's downtown Winnipeg and the incumbent dipper is extra useless.

esquire Mar 21, 2016 8:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by biguc (Post 7378681)
Lately I've been impressed by the policy the Greens have been releasing. I'd sure like to know if my local Green candidate has a chance. Without more information I'll probably end up voting Liberal because I don't see any other party having a chance in my riding, which is strange considering it's downtown Winnipeg and the incumbent dipper is extra useless.

Considering that the Greens have been nearly silent so far this election and that the only riding they have managed to finish a strong second in was Wolseley which they did for the last three elections without managing to break 20% of the vote, I'd have to say the answer is no.

The Greens were starting to gain a bit of traction in the mid 90s and could have been a bit player in the Legislature, but they screwed themselves when Markus Buchart left and then there was a carousel of different leaders for several years. Even their current leader resigned the position once before.

Flatland Metropolis Mar 22, 2016 12:34 AM

Honestly we have three leaders who are so uninspiring. Pallister who can't say anything without saying something stupid, Sellinger who quite frankly has bungled even his own party, and Bokhari who doesn't have a clue what's going on but is happy to be at the party.

I truly don't know who to vote for and will probably abstain because I'll regret my decision either way and hopefully the new nominees next election will at least have some vision and capability.

Ando Mar 22, 2016 2:22 PM

I'm voting for Dreamscape.

rrskylar Mar 22, 2016 4:08 PM

The Black Rod has a good story about Wab Canoe and Pinocchio Selinger, here's an excerpt:

https://1.bp.blogspot.com/-NxLgwAH3k...ike%2B2013.PNG

esquire Mar 22, 2016 4:13 PM

^ I guess Wab was satisfied with the answer he received ;)

jmt18325 Mar 22, 2016 5:23 PM

So the PCs will eliminate bracket creep. Sounds great, but, with what money? I could be persuaded to vote for them, but I need to see a concrete fiscal plan.

bomberjet Mar 22, 2016 5:56 PM

Wab's sure running a good campaign lol Career suicide for that guy.

rrskylar Mar 22, 2016 6:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bomberjet (Post 7379755)
Wab's sure running a good campaign lol Career suicide for that guy.

With his comments Wab should be barred from holding public office, a position at any public university or a job at any public broadcaster!

hexrae Mar 22, 2016 6:15 PM

Jamie Hall too right?

rrskylar Mar 22, 2016 8:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hexrae (Post 7379783)
Jamie Hall too right?

Who does he play for?

cheswick Mar 22, 2016 8:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rrskylar (Post 7379983)
Who does he play for?

Liberal candidate who stepped down / was kicked out after some salty tweets in regards to women were uncovered.

bomberjet Mar 22, 2016 8:53 PM

Wab needs Greg at his side, at all times, to keep him cool. haha Its sounding like the Gord Steeves thing again.

esquire Mar 22, 2016 9:06 PM

The Wab sideshow has really been good for some comic relief during this election :haha:

Kinguni Mar 22, 2016 9:44 PM

I watched Harbans Singh Brar (lib candidate for Maples) run a stop sign turning into the lot where his campaign office is on Mandalay this morning. In a vehicle with his campaign ads on it. If I lived there he would have definitly lost my vote.

The Unknown Poster Mar 23, 2016 2:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bomberjet (Post 7380009)
Wab needs Greg at his side, at all times, to keep him cool. haha Its sounding like the Gord Steeves thing again.

Wab wanted Steeves to drop out of the mayoral race after the comments his wife made. I guess Wab changed his mind on politicians dropping out of races.

I've asked my MLA several times on twitter if he supports Wab as it will impact my view of him (though I think he's a dbag anyway) and he simply won't answer. But im in St Norbert and have a moron for an MLA.

Spocket Mar 23, 2016 5:50 PM

I'd vote Liberal this time around if I were eligible. We seem to have this fixation in Manitoba on voting either NDP or PC. Honestly, I'm surprised they didn't run us completely into the ground but the NDP seem to have done okay. Still, we could do better and I don't see any reason to think the PCs have anything new to offer.

Riverman Mar 24, 2016 10:14 PM

Looks like Maloway is running as an independant. All of the NDP logos on his signs have been covered.

rrskylar Mar 25, 2016 5:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Riverman (Post 7382896)
Looks like Maloway is running as an independant. All of the NDP logos on his signs have been covered.

The almighty Riverman returns!:cheers: What no internet in Headingly?:D

bomberjet Mar 29, 2016 4:41 PM

So are the Liberals becoming relevant again??

They're gaining my vote based on maintaining the 1% PST hike for municipal infrastructure. I don't like their plan to kibosh St. Norbert Bypass, but maybe MIT can talk them into it haha The rest of their platform seems to be typical politico stuff.

cheswick Mar 29, 2016 4:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bomberjet (Post 7387392)
So are the Liberals becoming relevant again??

They're gaining my vote based on maintaining the 1% PST hike for municipal infrastructure. I don't like their plan to kibosh St. Norbert Bypass, but maybe MIT can talk them into it haha The rest of their platform seems to be typical politico stuff.

I guess that'll help with the infrastructure money they're diverting to day care and culture.

bomberjet Mar 29, 2016 5:15 PM

I get quite apprehensive about voting for Pallister or Sellinger... Liberals appear to be taking my vote this time..

On the Liberal website, then mention fixing roads numerous times.

Liberals are budgeting an additional $30M annually for daycare. Daycare shouldn't be as huge an issue that it is. Should be affordable for everyone. When you're debating what is cheaper; my wife to stay home and take care of the children simply to avoid the high cost of daycare, or my wife working a career that fulfills her as a citizen; that's a bit ridiculous.

It's basically cheaper for us if she stays home. Not quite, but by the time you factor in a the hastle of drop off/pick up, etc. Just stay home and take care of the place. Probably better for the children since we know whats happening to them at all times.

Danny D Oh Mar 29, 2016 5:42 PM

The Liberals are so disorganized, mostly because Bokhari refuses to listen to anybody who is knowledgeable, that it is petrifying to think of what would happen if they actually had enough support to form government. I feel bad for my old buddy Mike Brown everytime I see his face behind Bokhari. He looks like he wants to bolt out of the room and never come back.

The reality is that they'll be lucky to win a seat or two as they will sink like a stone as Bokhari speaks and the electorate realizes this election is a referendum on the NDP and PC's.

bomberjet Mar 29, 2016 5:49 PM

Looking through their photos. I see the same guy in a couple photos. The same guy I see being belligerent at Jets games quite regularly haha

Damn this is a tough vote..

jmt18325 Mar 29, 2016 7:12 PM

I think I have to vote PC. They've really cleaned up tight campaign.

bomberjet Mar 29, 2016 7:22 PM

Must've been the PC's International Curling Centre that did it for you JMT? haha jk I'll await further information from the parties to decide my vote.

The Jabroni Mar 30, 2016 6:35 PM

This whole campaign has been so uninspiring. None of the candidates stick out. As much as I want change, they're all making me not care about them whatsoever.

With that said, if there's a chance in hell for any party to get my vote, it's the Liberals.

I don't care who wins at this point. I'd rather have a minority government at Broadway. I don't care who will be the party in power, but whoever it is, I want it to be a minority.

Of course, it's a ridiculously long shot of that ever happening, but if the Liberals gain enough seats, and enough to spoil a majority government between the NDP and PCs, then I'll be happy.