SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   St. John's (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=700)
-   -   Avalon mall expansion renovation & news (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=240276)

wmemeadusjr Sep 10, 2019 10:55 AM

Avalon mall expansion renovation & news

People are suggesting such a thread. Here it is. The Avalon Mall has always been a continuing work in progress, so it's definitely worthy of it's own thread.

Arrakis Sep 10, 2019 4:45 PM

That’s awesome... thanks for considering my suggestion.

Quote:

Originally Posted by wmemeadusjr (Post 8682720)
People are suggesting such a thread. Here it is. The Avalon Mall has always been a continuing work in progress, so it's definitely worthy of it's own thread.

jjavman Sep 20, 2019 9:09 PM

Phase 3 Well Under Way

https://i.imgur.com/yh7fFks.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/zTFP9ny.jpg

Arrakis Sep 21, 2019 5:49 PM

Nice pics.

Malreynolds Sep 21, 2019 10:42 PM

Quote:

Application
A Discretionary Use application has been submitted by Crombie REIT requesting approval to construct and operate a second Eating Establishment with Drive-Thru at 46 Kenmount Road.

Description
The drive thru will service a national fast food franchise with floor area of 250.8m2, and will operate Monday to Friday, 6 – 12 a.m., Saturday and Sunday 7 - 12 a.m. The application is advertised in accordance with Section 7.30 “Drive-Thru Facilities” of the St. John’s Development Regulations. On-site parking is provided.

Comment By
9:30 a.m. Tuesday, September 24, 2019

Comments
Provide your comments to the Office of the City Clerk including your name and address to: cityclerk@stjohns.ca or P.O. Box 908, St. John’s, NL, A1C 5M2.

Comments received become a matter of public record and are included in the Council agenda for the date a decision on the application will be made. Any identifying information (including your name) will be removed prior to your comment being released publicly.

Collection of personal information is authorized under the Access to Information and Protection of Privacy Act, 2015 and is needed to consider your comments on this application. Questions about the collection and use of your information may be directed to the City Clerk at 709-576-8202 or cityclerk@stjohns.ca.

Council Decision Date
Monday, October 7, 2019

Additional Information
Notices are sent to property owners within 150 metres of the application site. For more information call 709-576-6192 or email planning@stjohns.ca.
Wonder if this is for fogcity

J_Murphy Sep 21, 2019 10:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Malreynolds (Post 8694520)
Wonder if this is for fogcity

Doubt it. Says national fast food franchise.

Marty_Mcfly Sep 21, 2019 11:03 PM

Could be Starbucks since they're losing their front entrance at the mall? Though one would think they'd do better inside the mall with the foot traffic.

Burger King? Robins Donuts?

detroitdan1982 Sep 22, 2019 9:37 AM

It would be nice if it was something different, like a Taco Bell or Arby’s, not another location of something we already have.

Offshore1 Sep 22, 2019 12:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by detroitdan1982 (Post 8694721)
It would be nice if it was something different, like a Taco Bell or Arby’s, not another location of something we already have.

There are lots of options out there as far as chain restaurants, much more than Cara. I was just seeing what's out there and Quebec based MTY Group has way more than I'd heard of, from casual restaurants to fast food.
Some of their brands are here already, or have been in the mall and since gone, but a few look interesting and would be nice for a change. I wouldn't mind if Fog City did build a stand alone place, but I imagine another chain is likely:shrug:.
Either way, give me something other than the Cara brand ( now known as Recipe Unlimited Corporation apparently ) - they have Got to be saturated in this market.:slob:
https://mtygroup.com/nos-enseignes/

statbass Sep 22, 2019 6:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Offshore1 (Post 8694742)
There are lots of options out there as far as chain restaurants, much more than Cara. I was just seeing what's out there and Quebec based MTY Group has way more than I'd heard of, from casual restaurants to fast food.
Some of their brands are here already, or have been in the mall and since gone, but a few look interesting and would be nice for a change. I wouldn't mind if Fog City did build a stand alone place, but I imagine another chain is likely:shrug:.
Either way, give me something other than the Cara brand ( now known as Recipe Unlimited Corporation apparently ) - they have Got to be saturated in this market.:slob:
https://mtygroup.com/nos-enseignes/

Wow, that's quite an exhaustive list of restaurants. I noticed a few we've have (or had), many seem to be foodcourt style spots. I've eaten at a Baton Rouge before and it's a nice restaurant. Kind of reminds me of the Keg/Moxie's. I agree though, if we do get more national chains it would be nice to have something other than Cara (i.e. Recipe Unlimited).

wmemeadusjr Sep 23, 2019 10:41 AM

I'm sure the two buildings are CIBC and Starbucks.

Offshore1 Sep 23, 2019 11:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wmemeadusjr (Post 8695387)
I'm sure the two buildings are CIBC and Starbucks.

It would appear so.

https://vocm.com/2019/09/23/avalon-m...road-entrance/

wmemeadusjr Sep 24, 2019 12:46 PM

Drive-thru

The 2 businesses to be built at the new Avalon Mall/Polina/Kenmount intersection have been approved in a close vote by council last night. (Which I believe are CIBC and Starbucks)

Arrakis Sep 24, 2019 6:06 PM

Makes sense since both of those businesses will lose access to their exterior mall entrance as the expansion gets built across it and the hallway inside leading to both businesses is also being eliminated in the new mall floor-plan layout.

Quote:

Originally Posted by wmemeadusjr (Post 8696476)
The 2 businesses to be built at the new Avalon Mall/Polina/Kenmount intersection have been approved in a close vote by council last night. (Which I believe are CIBC and Starbucks)

Malreynolds Oct 10, 2019 7:35 PM

Quote:

We have a delicious announcement.

Mountain Warehouse (first store east of Ontario), Showcase, and a double-sized helping of Newfoundland Chocolate Company are coming by the end of the year. Then, Hakim Optical will arrive in 2020.
From the Avalon mall Facebook page

rthomasd Oct 10, 2019 8:07 PM

I heard it was Starbucks and TD Bank.

What happened to the idea that Fog City was going there?

jjavman Oct 11, 2019 2:12 PM

Correction

Quote:

Originally Posted by jjavman (Post 8693877)

Pics titled Phase III, are actually end of Phase II.

According to Crombie Reit website, Phase III is the redevelopment of the adjacent properties they acquired; Woodgate & former Baine Johnston.

:cheers:

Arrakis Oct 11, 2019 3:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rthomasd (Post 8713711)
I heard it was Starbucks and TD Bank.

What happened to the idea that Fog City was going there?

I can’t imagine it would be a TD Bank with a fairly new one just up the road on Kelsey Dr.

I figure it would be a new CIBC since the one in the mall will be displaced along with Starbucks once all the expansion and renovations are complete.

As for Fog City...it’s now obvious they didn’t really need to move from their old location inside the mall since its former space is now occupied by Pseudio. I thought that the Rec Room had wanted the space. Perhaps they just didn’t want two restaurants next to each other. I guess Cineplex has the bigger rental bucks there.

statbass Oct 11, 2019 4:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Arrakis (Post 8714457)
I can’t imagine it would be a TD Bank with a fairly new one just up the road on Kelsey Dr.

I figure it would be a new CIBC since the one in the mall will be displaced along with Starbucks once all the expansion and renovations are complete.

As for Fog City...it’s now obvious they didn’t really need to move from their old location inside the mall since its former space is now occupied by Pseudio. I thought that the Rec Room had wanted the space. Perhaps they just didn’t want two restaurants next to each other. I guess Cineplex has the bigger rental bucks there.

Here's a quote from the upcoming council meeting scheduled for Oct 15 (pg 4.)

Quote:

46 Kenmount Road - Commercial Highway (CH) Zone - Ward 4
A Discretionary Use application has been submitted by Crombie REIT
requesting approval to construct and operate a second Eating
Establishment with Drive-Thru at 46 Kenmount Road.
The drive thru will service a national fast food franchise with floor area of
250.8m2, and will operate Monday to Friday, 6 – 12 a.m., Saturday and
Sunday 7 - 12 a.m. The application is advertised in accordance with
Section 7.30 “Drive-Thru Facilities” of the St. John’s Development
Regulations. On-site parking is provided.

So it says a "second" eating establishment, I assume the first one would be Starbucks. There will also be a drive-thru. Hmmm.... wondering what would be going there? Definitely not Fog-City since it's a national chain.

https://pub-stjohns.escribemeetings....ocumentId=3090

jjavman Oct 11, 2019 9:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by statbass (Post 8714524)
Here's a quote from the upcoming council meeting scheduled for Oct 15 (pg 4.)

So it says a "second" eating establishment, I assume the first one would be Starbucks. There will also be a drive-thru. Hmmm.... wondering what would be going there? Definitely not Fog-City since it's a national chain.

https://pub-stjohns.escribemeetings....ocumentId=3090

Nothing telling on the CR website. I wonder if Wendys is moving across the street? They have a boxed in drive thru there when it's busy. Maybe they want to duplicate Village Mall pad?

:shrug: