SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   San Antonio (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=447)
-   -   SAN ANTONIO | 1603 Broadway | 20 Floors | 255 Feet | Proposed (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=231698)

htowntransplant May 23, 2018 5:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spoiler (Post 8195198)
“San Antonio has had a decades-long history of building mediocre, mid-rise office buildings with a mediocre, mid-rise hotel next to it,” Neff said, noting that this will instead be a building that is “going to be admired by its neighbors.”

https://therivardreport.com/board-to...wer-go-for-it/

"The developer has purchased 23 acres for apartments, condos, single-family homes, restaurants, bars, retail, offices, parking, and greenspace across Broadway Street in the Government Hill neighborhood. This tower is “phase one” of GrayStreet’s larger plans for the area, French has said."

I cannot wait to see what else they have in store for that area. With the Broadway Complete Street improvements about to kick off, that area is going to be HOT!

21bl0wed Jun 27, 2018 5:41 AM

Oh so it’s 18 floors above ground 2 below parking. Title says 20 :shrug:

The ATX Jun 27, 2018 6:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 21bl0wed (Post 8234272)
Oh so it’s 18 floors above ground 2 below parking. Title says 20 :shrug:

I changed it to 18 at one point. But SKW counts underground levels and it was changed to 20.

jaga185 Jun 27, 2018 1:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The ATX (Post 8234287)
I changed it to 18 at one point. But SKW counts underground levels and it was changed to 20.

The 260-foot-tall building will include two levels of underground parking, retail space on the ground floor, three more levels of parking above that, four floors of office space (about 130,000 square feet), two amenity floors (gym, pool, etc.), and nine floors of hotel (194 rooms). The 20th “floor” will be for mechanical equipment.

KevinFromTexas Jun 27, 2018 7:20 PM

Actually, the stacking plan shows 19 occupied floors above ground and a total height of 255 feet. I don't know where the other numbers are coming from.

I still haven't seen the elevations for this one.

sirkingwilliam Jun 27, 2018 9:06 PM

It’s 260 to the mechanical penthouse. The heights were listed in the most recent HDRC agenda.

KevinFromTexas Jun 27, 2018 10:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sirkingwilliam (Post 8235129)
It’s 260 to the mechanical penthouse. The heights were listed in the most recent HDRC agenda.

Can you post the link to it? I can't find one that lists it as 260 feet.

sirkingwilliam Jun 27, 2018 11:41 PM

I just went back and looked. it is 255 ft to the top of the mechanical structure. Not sure why I remember it saying 260 ft.

KevinFromTexas Jun 28, 2018 12:04 AM

I don't remember, did this get final approval from city council? Stacking plans aren't the best source for building heights, so there's still a chance it might be 260 feet. Hopefully, the elevations will show up eventually.

JACKinBeantown Jul 3, 2018 5:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by texboy (Post 8177935)
I feel as though this is the beginnings of a second skyline here, no? Obviously not the same size as say the Galleria in Houston, but akin to that. Pretty cool.

Jersey City

Daren Jul 4, 2018 7:08 PM

Beverly Hills Wilshire Blvd :shrug:

It could be better than wilshire blvd. More pedestrian friendly.

SAguy Oct 1, 2018 2:43 AM

Any word where this stands?

Dan In Real Life Oct 1, 2018 4:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SAguy (Post 8331250)
Any word where this stands?

I was actually thinking about this project the other day myself. If I remember correctly from one of the articles that was posted they still have to go back to the HDRC for final approval. I thought they planned on doing that during the fall, but I could be remembering that wrong.

Has anyone else seen/heard any updates?

Txdev Oct 1, 2018 9:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dan In Real Life (Post 8331719)
I was actually thinking about this project the other day myself. If I remember correctly from one of the articles that was posted they still have to go back to the HDRC for final approval. I thought they planned on doing that during the fall, but I could be remembering that wrong.

Has anyone else seen/heard any updates?

I hear it’s moving forward. Of course there is a lot of architectural and engineering work done between conceptual approval and final approval, so it takes time.

Dan In Real Life Oct 1, 2018 9:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Txdev (Post 8332131)
I hear it’s moving forward. Of course there is a lot of architectural and engineering work done between conceptual approval and final approval, so it takes time.

Thanks for the update. :tup:

babysal Oct 16, 2018 5:36 PM

Construction on GrayStreet’s Broadway tower estimated to begin Feb. 1

OCTOBER 15, 2018
BY BEN OLIVO
From the SA Heron

[IMG]https://i.imgur.com/Mqlg5LS.jpg[/IMG]

The 20-story hotel and office tower GrayStreet Partners is planning at 1603 Broadway will cost an estimated $97 million to build, and construction could start Feb. 1, according to documents filed with the Texas Department of Licensing and Regulation.

In the filing, the San Antonio developer estimates a completion date of March 1, 2021.

On May 21, the project’s modern design, which is unique for San Antonio, received a five-story variance from the Board of Adjustment, a requirement because the zoning for that area of Broadway limits building heights at 15 stories.

In early May, the Historic and Design Review Commission granted the project conceptual approval following concerns raised by commissioners in March.

GrayStreet and architecture firm Gensler are working toward final HDRC approval, Tomoko Iimura Alavi, the developer’s spokeswoman, said in an email.

“The project will be 20 stories, including an enclosed mechanical penthouse topping the building to house equipment,” Alavi said. “There will be below-grade parking as well. We are not yet at a point to comment on potential tenants or other details.”

Its presence at Broadway and Newell Avenue would serve as a sort of gateway to the Pearl/Midtown area for motorists, cyclists and pedestrians leaving downtown. A stone’s throw up Broadway, Pearl developer Silver Ventures is building a 10-story office tower that will become the headquarters of Credit Human, the former San Antonio Federal Credit Union. It’s expected to be completed in early 2020, Silver Ventures told the Heron for another article.

The GrayStreet project will include 11 stories of hotel rooms, four stories of Class A office space, four levels of parking (one below grade), and one level of retail.

https://saheron.com/construction-on-...o-begin-feb-1/

htowntransplant Oct 16, 2018 6:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by babysal (Post 8347519)
OCTOBER 15, 2018
BY BEN OLIVO
From the SA Heron

The 20-story hotel and office tower GrayStreet Partners is planning at 1603 Broadway will cost an estimated $97 million to build, and construction could start Feb. 1, according to documents filed with the Texas Department of Licensing and Regulation.

In the filing, the San Antonio developer estimates a completion date of March 1, 2021.

On May 21, the project’s modern design, which is unique for San Antonio, received a five-story variance from the Board of Adjustment, a requirement because the zoning for that area of Broadway limits building heights at 15 stories.

In early May, the Historic and Design Review Commission granted the project conceptual approval following concerns raised by commissioners in March.

GrayStreet and architecture firm Gensler are working toward final HDRC approval, Tomoko Iimura Alavi, the developer’s spokeswoman, said in an email.

“The project will be 20 stories, including an enclosed mechanical penthouse topping the building to house equipment,” Alavi said. “There will be below-grade parking as well. We are not yet at a point to comment on potential tenants or other details.”

Its presence at Broadway and Newell Avenue would serve as a sort of gateway to the Pearl/Midtown area for motorists, cyclists and pedestrians leaving downtown. A stone’s throw up Broadway, Pearl developer Silver Ventures is building a 10-story office tower that will become the headquarters of Credit Human, the former San Antonio Federal Credit Union. It’s expected to be completed in early 2020, Silver Ventures told the Heron for another article.

The GrayStreet project will include 11 stories of hotel rooms, four stories of Class A office space, four levels of parking (one below grade), and one level of retail.

Broadway is going to be lined with cranes, cranes, and more cranes...

texboy Oct 16, 2018 7:59 PM

A project like this was beyond needed and a fabulous extension of the Pearl District.

Quote:

Originally Posted by babysal (Post 8347519)
OCTOBER 15, 2018
BY BEN OLIVO
From the SA Heron

Dan In Real Life Oct 16, 2018 8:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by texboy (Post 8347668)
A project like this was beyond needed and a fabulous extension of the Pearl District.

Agree 100%

UltraDanPrime Oct 17, 2018 1:12 AM

Also agree! This is really cool!

UrbanTrance Oct 17, 2018 3:08 AM

Great to hear!

JACKinBeantown Oct 17, 2018 12:30 PM

I'm generally pleased with this development.

UltraDanPrime Oct 17, 2018 6:47 PM

I think everyone is pleased with this Jack! It's so refreshing to see modern projects in SA!

JACKinBeantown Oct 18, 2018 12:12 PM

Frost Tower is an awesome modern project in SA.

My favorite elements of this building are the apparent human flow designed into it, the street interaction, the height in its location, and the modern element is fine... I can take or leave it looking modern. The one thing I'm not enthusiastic about is that it looks like it got plucked out of the Katy Freeway in Houston. But overall it's a good addition to SA's near downtown.

UltraDanPrime Oct 18, 2018 3:03 PM

The Frost sure is! Now this one! Heres to many more!

deeger Nov 28, 2018 10:31 PM

Preliminary HDRC agenda for:
December 05, 2018

Address/Description: 1603 BROADWAY
RIO District: RIO-2
Applicant: Peter French/Graystreet Partners
Request: Approval of a site plan for foundation and site work
City Council Dist.: 1

SAguy Nov 28, 2018 11:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by deeger (Post 8393226)
Preliminary HDRC agenda for:
December 05, 2018

Address/Description: 1603 BROADWAY
RIO District: RIO-2
Applicant: Peter French/Graystreet Partners
Request: Approval of a site plan for foundation and site work
City Council Dist.: 1

Yessss! Let's get this project going.

Fryguy Dec 3, 2018 2:06 AM

The lighting of this building at night should look similar to the Residence Inn by Marriott Los Angeles L.A. LIVE night. at night. Both have a similar exterior with niches for lighting woven into the building.

JACKinBeantown Dec 3, 2018 3:22 AM

Found this:

https://transwestern.com/property/1603-broadway

... which includes this:

https://s3.amazonaws.com/transwester...f75b7c578c.pdf

micahinsa Dec 3, 2018 3:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SAguy (Post 8393315)
Yessss! Let's get this project going.

Don't get too excited!

Quote:

Staff does not recommend approval based on findings b and c. A stipulation of conceptual approval was that one of the proposed curb cuts on Broadway be eliminated, which at this time, has not been met.

https://sanantonio.legistar.com/Legi...tions=&Search=

JACKinBeantown Dec 3, 2018 4:58 AM

They're holding the building back because they want it to be slightly less handicap accessible?

micahinsa Dec 3, 2018 5:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JACKinBeantown (Post 8397245)
They're holding the building back because they want it to be slightly less handicap accessible?

This is the rest of it:

Quote:

Staff does not recommend approval based on findings b and c. A stipulation of conceptual approval was that one of the proposed curb cuts on Broadway be eliminated, which at this time, has not been met.

Staff recommends that the driveway closest to Newell should be eliminated. Additionally, changes in paving materials, limiting the flare of the driveway apron at the street, and inclusion of landscaped medians in double-lane driveways should be implemented at pedestrian conflict points to contribute to a safe and walkable environment.

Prior to returning to the HDRC, the applicant should provide information regarding the following:

i. Parking challenges with surrounding property owners and as a result, submit a comprehensive parking plan prior to final approval.

And the items "b" and "c" they're referring to:

Quote:

b. CONCEPTUAL APPROVAL – Conceptual approval for the construction of the proposed nineteen story, mixed- use tower received conceptual approval from the Historic and Design Review Commission at the May 2, 2018, HDRC hearing with the following stipulations. At this time, the applicant has not provided staff with updated construction documents that address the stipulations of conceptual approval.

i. That the applicant reduce the number of curb cuts on Broadway to only one and make attempts to eliminate curb cuts on Broadway altogether. The driveway closest to Newell should be eliminated.

ii. Curb cuts may not exceed 25 feet in width. Changes in paving materials, limiting the flare of the driveway apron at the street, and inclusion of landscaped medians in double-lane driveways should be implemented at pedestrian conflict points to contribute to a safe and walkable environment. The applicant is responsible for coordinating with TCI regarding allowable curb cuts and obtaining all required permits.

iii. That the applicant must address parking challenges with surrounding property owners and submit a

comprehensive parking plan prior to final approval. As part of the request for variance process, the Historic and Design Review Commission may make a recommendation regarding building height to the Board of Adjustment.

c. CURB CUTS – The RIO design objectives outlined in the UDC include the creation of a “positive pedestrian experience” at the street edge. Standards related to curb cuts and interference with pedestrian traffic are also provided. The applicant has proposed two curb cuts on Broadway and one curb cut in a rear alley that feeds onto Avenue B. The UDC requires projects to limit curb cuts to two (2) on parking areas or structures facing only one (1) street, and one (1) for each additional street face. The project has access to Broadway Street, Avenue B, and a rear alley. If Broadway was the only accessible street for the development, then the proposed two curb cuts would be allowable. As noted in finding b, a stipulation of conceptual approval was the reduction of curb cuts on Broadway to only one. Given that there are other opportunities for vehicular access to the site, staff finds that curb cuts on Broadway, where there is a focus on providing pedestrian-friendly environment, should be limited to only one. The intent of the upcoming bond project for Broadway is to promote pedestrian and bicycle activity along Broadway. Minimizing the number of driveways (conflict points) would be important to enhance the pedestrian/cycling environment. In addition to HDRC approval of the site plan, the applicant is responsible for coordinating with TCI regarding allowable curb cuts and obtaining all required permits. In an early review, TCI staff has further recommended that the curb cut closest to Newell be completely eliminated, and that the overall development focus on a singular entry from Avenue B.

UltraDanPrime Dec 3, 2018 4:33 PM

Really looking forward to this one!

JRG1974 Dec 6, 2018 9:41 PM

This project was still showing on the agenda for the Dec 5th HDRC meeting. Was this project discussed? If so, what were the outcomes? Does anyone know?

Big A Dec 6, 2018 11:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRG1974 (Post 8401284)
This project was still showing on the agenda for the Dec 5th HDRC meeting. Was this project discussed? If so, what were the outcomes? Does anyone know?

It got approved.

JRG1974 Dec 7, 2018 3:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Big A (Post 8401392)
It got approved.

Thank you for the update.

AwesomeSAView Dec 7, 2018 5:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by micahinsa (Post 8397272)
This is the rest of it:

And the items "b" and "c" they're referring to:

It was approved!!!

HAPPY HOLIDAYS:cheers:

micahinsa Dec 7, 2018 6:32 PM

So they didn’t recommend approval and then they approved it anyway?

Huh?

Dan In Real Life Dec 7, 2018 7:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Big A (Post 8401392)
It got approved.

Great news! Thank you for the update.

Keep-SA-Lame Dec 7, 2018 10:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by micahinsa (Post 8402160)

Huh?

Staff recommendations aren't always heeded by the committee.

sirkingwilliam Dec 7, 2018 11:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by micahinsa (Post 8402160)

Huh?

Staff just recommends, they don’t do the actual approving or disapproving.

AwesomeSAView Dec 8, 2018 11:18 PM

Bottom line,,,,

It has been approved!:cheers:

Montirob Dec 10, 2018 4:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sirkingwilliam (Post 8402440)
Staff just recommends, they don’t do the actual approving or disapproving.

Plus, the commission may have added staff's concerns as stipulations for approval.

UltraDanPrime Dec 10, 2018 4:50 PM

I dont think anyone really though it wouldn't get approved, it's way to nice of a project not to.

Restless One Dec 10, 2018 9:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by UltraDanPrime (Post 8404056)
I dont think anyone really though it wouldn't get approved, it's way to nice of a project not to.

It never crossed my mind that it wouldn't, especially since they received a waiver for the increased height.

If people really wanted this stopped/changed, that would have been the time to do it

micahinsa Dec 23, 2018 2:29 PM

Does anyone know what’s going on right across the street from this on Broadway? I was there last night and saw they’d cleared the land and there was a sign up that site work was being done.

aggie2008 Dec 24, 2018 3:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by micahinsa (Post 8417696)
Does anyone know what’s going on right across the street from this on Broadway? I was there last night and saw they’d cleared the land and there was a sign up that site work was being done.

I heard from someone working on the project that they cleared it mainly as a staging area and parking for the tower. It'll be something eventually but I don't think they've released those plans yet.

sirkingwilliam Feb 14, 2019 4:05 AM

Quote:

Luxury hotel chain W Hotels is in talks to open an upscale hotel near The Pearl in downtown San Antonio, sources say.

The boutique hotel wants to set up shop in a 20-story building being developed by local developer GrayStreet Partners at 1603 Broadway, two people with knowledge of the discussions said. In addition to office space, the plans for the building include a hotel.

The 195-room hotel is in the planning stage, W Hotels’ parent company, Marriott International, told data firm STR, which tracks the hospitality industry. Marriott projects the hotel will open in January 2022.

jaga185 Feb 14, 2019 6:09 AM

I had a feeling it would be them.

Dan In Real Life Feb 14, 2019 2:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sirkingwilliam (Post 8473469)

To quote Jack "like button"