SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   San Antonio (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=447)
-   -   UTSA Construction Update (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=136811)

Keep-SA-Lame Feb 4, 2011 7:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wwmiv (Post 5151542)
Downtown is not interesting. Downtown is an overpriced tourist trap. Take me to the dollar theatre without a transfer, and I'll gladly leave my car parked at all times.

Well I meet my friend from UTSA at least once a week to hang out downtown and we usually have a pretty good time (always sober, I might add), so maybe you should work with less general statements in the future. Sorry you don't find downtown very interesting, but you shouldn't talk like you speak for the whole damn city.

Boquillas Feb 4, 2011 7:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wwmiv (Post 5151542)
Downtown is not interesting. Downtown is an overpriced tourist trap. Take me to the dollar theatre without a transfer, and I'll gladly leave my car parked at all times.

Alamo Plaza and parts of the Riverwalk might be an overpriced tourist trap, but step inside Rosario's or La Tuna or Liberty Bar or Casbeers or Tito's or La Gloria or go check out SAMA or Blue Star or Mission Concepcion or San Fernando for cryin' out loud. Look at the city from 600 feet up, watch the Spurs play, go to the Pearl farmer's market, get some Mango Ice Cream at the Menger. And FYI, you can put a bike on any bus.

miaht82 Feb 4, 2011 5:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wwmiv (Post 5151460)
Why should people living on campus need cars? It is a suburban campus, not an urban one.

Gotta love being dependent/prisoner to you're vehicle.
It will take time, but it is a good thing that UTSA is developing the new buildings with walking humans in mind. I would hope that we could redevelop the older suburban strip malls to ped-friendly centers and give more people the option of walking/biking, and give those that can't drive (elderly,disabled or kids) the freedom to not rely on chauffeurs (parents) to get them anywhere.

wwmiv Feb 4, 2011 7:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by miaht82 (Post 5151931)
Gotta love being dependent/prisoner to you're vehicle.
It will take time, but it is a good thing that UTSA is developing the new buildings with walking humans in mind. I would hope that we could redevelop the older suburban strip malls to ped-friendly centers and give more people the option of walking/biking, and give those that can't drive (elderly,disabled or kids) the freedom to not rely on chauffeurs (parents) to get them anywhere.

Oh I agree. For the people going to UTSA in five to ten years this place will be amazing. However, owning a car is still necessary in this town.

tgannaway89 Feb 5, 2011 7:52 AM

FYI there are several reasons parking in the area sucks:

The city restricts parking lot development over aquifer recharge zone. All of the new student apartments have horrible parking problems. They are allowed less than 1 parking spot per resident & no visitor parking.

The school is only allowed to used designated funding (parking permit sales & fines) to construct parking lots/garages. No tuition, endowment, etc. can be used for parking purposes.

UTSA doesn't plan to construct ANY new surface parking lots. The master plan calls for parking garages to replace existing lots. Parking garages are more expensive & require more planning. East Parking Garage will break ground next month to add parking for 1,200 cars.

The school will also begin construction around campus to enhance roads. Many roads will be re-configured as outlined in the master plan. New trees will also be planted to line the roadways.

miaht82 Feb 6, 2011 3:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tgannaway89 (Post 5152837)
The school will also begin construction around campus to enhance roads. Many roads will be re-configured as outlined in the master plan. New trees will also be planted to line the roadways.

Hopefully these new roads will allow street parking like the master plan shows. Thats a good use of asphalt without technically adding more parking lots.

jaramana Jun 20, 2011 4:27 AM

j