SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/index.php)
-   Austin (http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/forumdisplay.php?f=446)
-   -   AUSTIN | Fifth & West Residences | 459 FEET | 39 FLOORS | Complete (http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=209673)

the Genral Dec 20, 2018 3:48 AM

What are all those spots on the façade. Oh, wait...those are sneeze spots on my screen, freakin allergies.
The lack of street level anything is sad. The stairs in that entryway looks dismal, not to mention all the wires.

ahealy Dec 20, 2018 4:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by the Genral (Post 8414690)
What are all those spots on the façade. Oh, wait...those are sneeze spots on my screen, freakin allergies.
The lack of street level anything is sad. The stairs in that entryway looks dismal, not to mention all the wires.

:haha::haha: I'm amazon-ing some allegra to ya!

*Sigh*....Yet another new project that looks unfinished.

loonytoony Dec 20, 2018 5:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by the Genral (Post 8414690)
What are all those spots on the façade. Oh, wait...those are sneeze spots on my screen, freakin allergies.
The lack of street level anything is sad. The stairs in that entryway looks dismal, not to mention all the wires.

We won't see any street level anything in this area. It's all in flood plain.

Speculator Dec 20, 2018 6:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by the Genral (Post 8414690)
What are all those spots on the façade. Oh, wait...those are sneeze spots on my screen, freakin allergies.
The lack of street level anything is sad. The stairs in that entryway looks dismal, not to mention all the wires.

It has a much higher quality finish-out than several others going up now, IMO. The entrance looks good up close and is better than a large, cheaply fitted out entrance.

ahealy Dec 20, 2018 10:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Speculator (Post 8415284)
It has a much higher quality finish-out than several others going up now, IMO. The entrance looks good up close and is better than a large, cheaply fitted out entrance.

What are you referring to...? Just curious

the Genral Dec 21, 2018 12:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ahealy (Post 8415106)
:haha::haha: I'm amazon-ing some allegra to ya!

*Sigh*....Yet another new project that looks unfinished.

I wish you would post more...I love your posts!!!:cheers:

ahealy Dec 21, 2018 12:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by the Genral (Post 8415721)
I wish you would post more...I love your posts!!!:cheers:

:haha: The feeling is sooo mutual, Genral! NY2019 resolution: Post more on ATXSSP! :cheers:
https://media.giphy.com/media/FmOV8SCJ5fa8M/giphy.gif

Speculator Dec 21, 2018 6:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ahealy (Post 8415574)
What are you referring to...? Just curious

Well, I don't want to criticize other buildings so I won't. I can just tell you that the interior and most amenities have higher quality finishes than most (not all) of the other buildings. It's definitely in the top tier of the DT condos. I don't understand why people don't care for the entrance. As someone who lives in apartments in NY and Austin, the entrance seems very nice to me. On the exterior, the facade over the garage seems to be a more elegant design than some of the other pedestals around town.

Just my opinion and I guess we know what opinions are like. :)

jordanatx Dec 22, 2018 11:18 PM

Looks like move-ins have started: https://www.facebook.com/fifthandwes...type=3&theater

_Matt Jan 2, 2019 6:22 PM

Being in a flood plain doesn't preclude retail or street/pedestrian interaction.

This retail front is located across the street in the exact same flood plain.

https://i.imgur.com/2oMchQP.png?1

futures Jan 2, 2019 6:37 PM

I'm ok with the lack of retail. The pics that urbannizer posted don't really do it justice. The south facing portion facing 5th looks really nice imo.

Since it is such a small footprint, I'd almost prefer the elegant entrance it has over a flashing sign in a nail salon.

_Matt Jan 2, 2019 8:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by futures (Post 8423853)
I'm ok with the lack of retail. The pics that urbannizer posted don't really do it justice. The south facing portion facing 5th looks really nice imo.

Since it is such a small footprint, I'd almost prefer the elegant entrance it has over a flashing sign in a nail salon.

How about elegant retail that can create lively street life? Your argument sounds good if you presuppose that all retail/restaurant is neon and nails. :/

futures Jan 2, 2019 10:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by _Matt (Post 8424000)
How about elegant retail that can create lively street life? Your argument sounds good if you presuppose that all retail/restaurant is neon and nails. :/

Well of course. :) My argument was I'd rather have high end design and elegance over specific use. I think this building looks great from a distance and from street level.

_Matt Jan 3, 2019 12:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by futures (Post 8424105)
Well of course. :) My argument was I'd rather have high end design and elegance over specific use. I think this building looks great from a distance and from street level.

I'm looking forward to seeing the street level it in person! I like what I've seen above it, from afar.

ohhey Jan 4, 2019 4:36 AM

I walked by this today. Seems the building designers went out of their way to create an elegant entrance for the wealthy residents and to send the message that everybody else should stay the f*** away. Disgraceful IMO

Jdawgboy Jan 4, 2019 5:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ohhey (Post 8425555)
I walked by this today. Seems the building designers went out of their way to create an elegant entrance for the wealthy residents and to send the message that everybody else should stay the f*** away. Disgraceful IMO

Well what would you rather have, an ugly or bland entrance, one that has a sign out front saying everyone come on in even if you don't know any of the residents?

In general most if not all residential buildings send a message that the building is for their residents. Visitors have to check in with security unless they are expected and even then I would think that they still have to let security know. As for retail use, the building does have a small footprint. I think for the specific location they did pretty well.

ohhey Jan 5, 2019 7:46 PM

I said nothing about security measures or unauthorized people entering the building - strawman arguments. The point is that the urban interaction with this building is one that has more in common with a gated community than of a building that engages with the city in a pedestrian friendly way.

Also I think the entrance is off-putting, and that was part of my point - it's elegant from the residents perspective and gives passersby the cold shoulder on all fronts. The footprint is no excuse.

ahealy Jan 29, 2019 10:46 PM

Is this going to have a dark copper facade?? Or is it finished? Legit asking

Echostatic Jan 29, 2019 11:12 PM

Not sure about the facade.

Given that move-ins have started, and been underway for a few weeks now, would it be acceptable to add the tower to the List of Tallest Buildings in Austin wikipedia article?

Jdawgboy Jan 30, 2019 3:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ohhey (Post 8427012)
I said nothing about security measures or unauthorized people entering the building - strawman arguments. The point is that the urban interaction with this building is one that has more in common with a gated community than of a building that engages with the city in a pedestrian friendly way.

Also I think the entrance is off-putting, and that was part of my point - it's elegant from the residents perspective and gives passersby the cold shoulder on all fronts. The footprint is no excuse.


I'm sorry but I can't agree. It is a residential building, not a public use building and footprint most definitely is an issue when it comes to ground floor retail.


All times are GMT. The time now is 8:46 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.